What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

On 7/26/2020 at 7:00 PM, aradii said:

I finished Yakusoku no Neverland, What a masterpiece!
Characters, story, music, animation and everything is wonderful, one of THE BEST anime's I've seen, I can recommend this one so much, and you only have to watch one episode to get hooked.

Yeah its a fantastic series indeed. Looking forward to the sequel.

On 7/22/2020 at 10:31 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

ReZero season 2 is been nothing short of great.

Yup, the last episode was real good too.

The Goblin Slayer movie is apparently now on Crunchyroll... gonna give that a whirl later.

Monster Musume no Oisha-san is pretty middling stuff still.  It's pretty disappointing, because it occasionally shows something resembling actual promise when it focuses on the actual medicine side of things but it slips back into ripping off Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou at every opportunity.  

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Goblin Slayer movie is apparently now on Crunchyroll... gonna give that a whirl later.

Was meh, basically an hour long episode of the series. The first 1/3 is a recap episode of the last season. 

Watching latest season of Seven Deadly Sins.  Half way through it.   SAO....looks like they're gearing up to wake Kirito up.  Gundam Build Divers: ReRise....just finishing it cause it's Gundam but I really don't feel either way about the characters.  They're kinda bland.

Fire Force, One Piece and Super Dragon Ball Heroes are still fun.

Oh wow, completely forgot, here you are:

On 7/23/2020 at 2:12 AM, hachi said:

I tried to watch the 1st season but I was just getting angry thinking she should do something more proactive about her work (like resign or look for another job?) Does anything good ever happen?

The show loves keeping her a ball of anxiety, so... kind of. Small steps, each season.

• 2 weeks later...

Deca-dence has been a pretty solid series if you get past the twist in the second episode and Re:Zero has delivered.

I dropped God of High School. All flash and no substance. Crunchyroll has been pushing its webtoon adaptations hard but so far they've been pretty poor despite big studio involvements.

11 minutes ago, Marzan said:

I dropped God of High School. All flash and no substance. Crunchyroll has been pushing its webtoon adaptations hard but so far they've been pretty poor despite big studio involvements.

That has more to do with the source material then the studio. From what I've been hearing the adaptions are pretty spot on from what is in the mangwas. Plus nothing wrong with a fireworks display.

2 hours ago, Marzan said:

If ever in the future Solo-Levelling gets animated, dont get hyped as well, it has less substance than God of Highschool. It has really good art, i mean really good that is why it is popular (and whenever an manhwa gets adapted, you can easily comments or remarks why not SOlo levelling) which I dont know how it will translate to Animation. (probably very poorly like most adaptation).

Edited by chyll2

I'm currently watching the original Dragon Ball - no Z, no GT, no Super at the end - just Dragon Ball. 

I'm only on episode 12 and while it's certainly a lot more light hearted and "kiddie" than Z and Super (never watched GT), I'm still enjoying it and find it pretty cool to see how Goku meets the current cast along the way.

Despite the "kiddie" tone I'm really surprised at what was allowed in the animation; kid Goku has a scene where he's naked and all his bits are hanging out, Bulma has a shower scene, and in ep. 11 she gives the finger to Emperor Pilaf!!??     

Before this I blasted through DB Super and really liked it. From what I understand, it was the last DB series produced, but the manga is still ongoing. Anybody know if if a new one is in development?  

My period of Anime stagnation continues.

I caught up on Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha.. or at least to Ep 9  and I am just kinda meh on this one.   

I am slowly gaining ground on SNAFU S3,  just starting Ep 5 now.    Ep 4 may have just torpedoed the series for me,  I see where this is going and I don't like it.  

waaaaay behind on everything else.. 

This season's offerings have been kind of a snore.

I legit stopped watching 'em a week or so and I literally cannot remember the names of any of the characters or what the hell is going on in any of their plots.

Finished Build Divers Re:Rise yesterday. It is a good series but it went almost full Gundam and the Gunpla itself has no real impact on the whole story.

Build Fighters: Try is still my favorite ofthe Build series so far.

On 9/9/2020 at 4:20 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

My period of Anime stagnation continues.

I caught up on Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha.. or at least to Ep 9  and I am just kinda meh on this one.   

I am slowly gaining ground on SNAFU S3,  just starting Ep 5 now.    Ep 4 may have just torpedoed the series for me,  I see where this is going and I don't like it.  

waaaaay behind on everything else.. 

The adaptation of the LN was not very fortunate this season. The writing team for the series seems to like some characters way more than others and its resulted in an awkward leadup to the grand finale.

I just got around to watching the Goblin Slayer movie Goblins Crown.

Where to start with this one...  first 27-30 minutes of the movie is a recap.   Honestly complete waste of time,  if your watching this movie and are not familiar with the events of the TV Series do yourself a favor watch that and come back.     Because of this,  at least in my opinion the movie feels very, very rushed.     To be fair,  I have read up to Vol 7 of the LN and I am dilly dallying on Vol 8 just like I am with all this seasons anime offerings.. so feel free to throw tomatoes.     This movie is based solely on the events that take place during Vol 5.   I have issues with this volume mostly because of pacing and what felt like the author was rushing to wrap everything up nice and neatly in 1 book.  

Pacing again is a problem,  partially because of the 30 minutes wasted on a recap when the movie is only 1:25 in runtime.     There are things omitted,  and plot elements that are very lightly glossed over,  without spoilers how the Goblins are acting, and why Goblin Slayer is taking notice of them.     Again hard to really point out specifics without spoilers, the abridging of Noble Fencers story and the events leading up to the letter sent out by Sword Maiden I found to be the most egregious.    Actions are taken, and events transpire with little or no background,  while the novel at least took the time to fill the reader in on Goblin Slayers mindset.

So with all that said..  it still was not a BAD watch.    I thing the TV series covered the events of the first and part of 2nd novel better (just out of order) the movie omitted much and I think that hurt the plot.    But in the end there were still plenty of dead goblins and much fun to be had.

6 out of 10,  maybe a 7 if I really stretched it out.

I figured I would give Monster Musume no Oisha-san a try.    Honestly,  I am going into this not really expecting anything and the whole monster girls fad that hit never really caught my eye.   However this series is not bad.   Some creep moments 1 so far in every episode,  but nothing that I would trash this series for.   Admittedly I am only about halfway through the season but I have higher hopes for this then SNAFU season 3.. 

I don't understand the general disdain I see for this and Uzaki-chan.    But it's 2020 and people are stupid..  oh well.

6 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I figured I would give Monster Musume no Oisha-san a try.    Honestly,  I am going into this not really expecting anything and the whole monster girls fad that hit never really caught my eye.   However this series is not bad.   Some creep moments 1 so far in every episode,  but nothing that I would trash this series for.   Admittedly I am only about halfway through the season but I have higher hopes for this then SNAFU season 3.. 

I don't understand the general disdain I see for this and Uzaki-chan.    But it's 2020 and people are stupid..  oh well.

I was surprised by Monster Musume no Oisha-san it is not anywhere as bad as I expected.  I am actually enjoying it.  I really like Saphee.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

Got caught up on Monster Girl Doctor while I was working last night... and any pretense that the series isn't just a slightly less explicit version of Daily Life with Monster Girls has flown right out the goddamn window and landed the series in cringey-to-watch territory.  They still occasionally try to keep up the medical pretense of the whole show, but it's devolved to being mostly just an excuse plot to justify fanservice as of about episode 10.  If they left out the fanservice it might actually be a pretty good series.

Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time has turned out to be even worse than predicted.  It's a one-joke ecchi comedy series that really is just Double Standard: Female-on-Male Rape: the Series.  I'm giving serious thought to booking whoever wrote it a one-way ticket on a SpaceX flight into the sun.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy continues to be a snore.  It's an overpowered Isekai-style protagonist run riot in a non-Isekai setting.  There are no stakes, because the protagonist is Superman levels of stupidly overpowered and can stomp on everybody and anybody without any kind of consequences or taking any actual risks.

On the plus side, my watch party group has decided to start Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood now that we've finished Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, since most of 'em haven't seen it before.  We got about six episodes in, and they're loving it... and despite several discussions of the merits or lack thereof of the English dub we've managed to avoid having to discuss Edward's VA's sexual harassment scandals. 

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I haven't been watching much of anything in recent years, but I got the urge to hunt down the Phantasy Star Online 2 series after the NA release earlier this summer.  For those familiar with the game, Episode Oracle is a streamlined retelling of the first three episodes of the game's story content with a much darker tone than the game itself, while the other high school-focused series is a lot lighter and more comedic in tone, and works as a prologue to the fourth episode of story content.

Oracle was pretty good, and shed some light on some story gaps from the game, while trimming out some of the less interesting content leading up to the final fight of episode 3 in the game.  The high school one looked cheesy and out of place at first, but was pretty enjoyable once the context of the story was fleshed out better.  Sort of falls into the typical high school anime trope pile, with a side of MMO-based humor, but I had fun with it.

Oracle is on the Funimation streaming site (I signed up for the free trial to watch this one), while the high school series can be found on Youtube, since I don't think it was localized officially yet.