What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

So after a fairly lengthy discussion about certain VA's  Rie Kugimiya was brought up,  and I started going back through titles she has voiced in for the heck of it.

I've been watching and I'm currently on the 4th and Final season of Zero no Tsukaima..  with Shakugan no Shana probably not far behind.    It's been some time since I have viewed either of these titles so going back and blowing the dust off.    I figured I would stay on that vane and maybe put Toradora after Shana.

Interesting seeing everything she has done,   obviously in FMA,  but other titles like Vandread, and Utawarerumono..  even Hand Maid May (may have to add that one after Toradora).

Just finished rewatching Skullfaced Bookseller Honda-san and started up a rewatch of Charge! Cromartie High School.

If there's one thing to say for getting to work at home, I can shoot through enormous amounts of anime while I work.

In honor of current events, I have been watching Cells at Work.

There is a stupid amount of detail present in this show about "what if blood cells were cute anime girls", and if it was not ACTUALLY written by a med school dropout, I will be very disappointed.

2 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Anyone else looking forward to Brave New Animal? I'm liking the art direction, there's some fantastic background artwork going on in the show.

Already watched the first 6 episodes (Netflix released them already in Japanese, and there's subs out).

It's pretty good, not completely bonkers insane like Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill, but quite good. Characters and art are interesting, metaplot is present but each episode stands alone.

watching some stuff that I had ignored or passed on when released:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica series and third movie - liked very much. Great imagery. I feel like some mind altering substances were consumed in the production (and may have enhanced further the viewing of)

Lovely Complex - good stuff, maybe could have been a few episodes shorter

Orange - enjoying, only at ep 7

Your Lie in April - very pretty, was OK

Date a Live - three eps into this one, not my typical cup of tea but nice looking so we will see

End of season time.

Finished Ishuzoku Reviewers probably the best thing I watched this season.  If you can get past being a prude there is much funny to be found here.

Finished Kyokou Suiri,  This series started with much promise and was initially holding my interest.   Maybe a little less then halfway through the show it really fell apart,  and TBH really turned into a slog to get to the finish.

On the final episode of Murenase! Seton Gakuen,  and not really impressed with this one either.   It however does have a leg up.. (pun intended)  on Kyokou Suiri as it never got to be a chore to watch.   

On the Final few episodes of Season 4 of Zero no Tsukaima,   early seasons show their age but are still entertaining,  the final season is trying to wrap up a few loose ends but going by memory the ending is pretty out there. 

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

Checked out Beastars on a whim. I'd heard some of the hubbub about it but it didn't really seem like the thing for me, but I figured eh I just finished Castlevania, may as well right? And like four hours later I'm writing this in a rush because holy cow that was a great watch. The character work is the absolute best part about the show, all the little nuances that each character exhibits. Before checking it out, a lot of the discussion I was hearing centered on how it catered to the furry crowd, what with the anthropomorphized animals and all, and to be sure the anthro sexuality is pretty brazen, but even if that's a major concern of yours there are so many other good things about the show that you'll grit your teeth and power through it.

Really good. I was actively watching it from start to finish (which sadly is more than can be said for some bits of Castlevania season 3), highly recommended.

Just Finished Isekai Quartet S2..   and at the very end they announced S3.

1st season was better IMO,  I think S2's biggest drawback was the introduction of Shield Hero.   Raphtalia and Filo fit right in with the rest of the cast but Naofume's character was totally out of place.    Good thing they only showed him briefly. 

This season's Best Character.. Ram.    Though Rem is still Best Girl.. ;)

Well Shana got put off.    Apparently I got sucked into doing a group viewing of Date-a-Live via webex...  lol

Just wrapping up S1,  this has always a series I have wanted to see the source material for,  so many plot holes in the 1st season.    Things get brought up, to never get mention again.

I get that Shido was adopted into Kotori's family,  but what does Mana (supposedly his real sister) have to do with any of this?   She just up and dissapears after Kurumi gets introduced. 

The answer is probably convoluted..  regardless  S1 was pretty good.. S2 is meh,   the movie was not bad,  and Season 3 more meh.

Hm... Figure I'll ask here in case anyone can point me in the right direction. There was a super robot anime released a couple years ago apparently that had, during its climactic event, cameos from a bunch of other super robot shows. They may have been in silhouette or something, but they showed up and did their signature attacks or something, and it was very obvious what they were. There was even a Gipsy Danger expy there. I don't know where such a scene might have come from, or even if that's really what happened, it was just something I heard on a podcast. Anyone know of anything in recent years that might fit that description?

That sounds like a recent Mazinger manga. 

Shin Mazinger ZERO vs. Great General of Darkness, the internet says.

As I understand things, through some deus ex machina crap, the world had been remade into one where every fictional robot ever was a Mazinger.

And they summoned the copyright-safe silhouette spirits of all the other robots that should've existed in the final battle to save reality and recreate the myriad mecha options that the world deserved.

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

That sounds like a recent Mazinger manga. 

Shin Mazinger ZERO vs. Great General of Darkness, the internet says.

As I understand things, through some deus ex machina crap, the world had been remade into one where every fictional robot ever was a Mazinger.

And they summoned the copyright-safe silhouette spirits of all the other robots that should've existed in the final battle to save reality and recreate the myriad mecha options that the world deserved.

That's correct, the manga (there was no anime) was pubblished in Italy a few years ago. The first chapters are great, actually they are really awesome and, for the first time in something that's not a videogame, we can admire the Great Mazinkaiser. The middle chapters were a little bit of a let down but overall i'd say it's a manga worth reading.

So... on a lark, decided to watch Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess with only Destruction Flags, since it just premiered.

The first episode made a generally favorable impression.  Instead of the standard "transported to a MMORPG world" Isekai setting, the protagonist is reincarnated into the setting of a romance genre visual novel... and not as the player character, but rather as the story's principal villain.  She's left to use her memories of the game from her previous life and the genre savvy she possesses to navigate the plot in a way that won't get her killed or exiled the way the villain in the visual novel was.

22 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... on a lark, decided to watch Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess with only Destruction Flags, since it just premiered.

The first episode made a generally favorable impression.  Instead of the standard "transported to a MMORPG world" Isekai setting, the protagonist is reincarnated into the setting of a romance genre visual novel... and not as the player character, but rather as the story's principal villain.  She's left to use her memories of the game from her previous life and the genre savvy she possesses to navigate the plot in a way that won't get her killed or exiled the way the villain in the visual novel was.

I just watched it too.  It is definitely different.

So 3rd Season of Snafu is delayed,  same thing with 2nd season of No Guns no life.

Combine that with Re:zero's delay.. and I am quickly running out of things I want to watch for Spring 2020.

I did pick up Sakura Wars for this season but yet to watch it.    Same thing with Glepnir. 

On the virtual group watching front,   almost done with Date a Live season 2.. 

Next is the movie, if we can find it.

Started The 8th Son? That Can't Be Right! today... it's another bloody isekai series, and it may be giving Isekai Cheat Magician a run for its money in terms of "laziest isekai story".

Usually, this kind of boring minimum-effort copycat production at least bothers to establish that the protagonist died somehow and was reincarnated into a fantasy world or somehow was transported to said fantasy world via a summoning spell.  This show's main character falls asleep waiting for his rice to finish cooking and wakes up a 5 year old boy in the standard issue Eastern take on generic Western Fantasy.  The real killer is that there's an incredibly lazy scene right before the opening credits (in the middle of the episode) where they establish the main character is the 8th son by just having a clumsy "as you know" bit where everyone spells out their familial relationship for no clear reason.

The opening bodes ill for the series as a whole, between the unmistakably cheap CG animation and art assets that very obviously were "inspired by" (read: "borrowed from") OverlordThe Rising of the Shield Hero, and possibly Those Who Hunt Elves from the look of it...

On 4/6/2020 at 5:45 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Watched episode 1. Will definitely continue watching

On 3/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, kajnrig said:

Checked out Beastars on a whim. I'd heard some of the hubbub about it but it didn't really seem like the thing for me, but I figured eh I just finished Castlevania, may as well right? And like four hours later I'm writing this in a rush because holy cow that was a great watch. The character work is the absolute best part about the show, all the little nuances that each character exhibits. Before checking it out, a lot of the discussion I was hearing centered on how it catered to the furry crowd, what with the anthropomorphized animals and all, and to be sure the anthro sexuality is pretty brazen, but even if that's a major concern of yours there are so many other good things about the show that you'll grit your teeth and power through it.

Really good. I was actively watching it from start to finish (which sadly is more than can be said for some bits of Castlevania season 3), highly recommended.

Just picked up Beastars after finishing my rewatch of all of GiTS SAC. Pretty interesting and with great characters. I don't care one bit about the furry/anthropomorph debate. I think by making the characters be animals, the writer can get away with events and thematic discussions that would otherwise be a minefield.

This spring season could not help be affected by world events and a lot of stuff I wanted to see has been postponed. Specially Oregairy 3. Too bad. Luckily Kaguya Sama S2 is here to make me feel better about the world outside.

I've started a list of titles I am going to re-watch..  In no particular order.

Bubble Gum Crisis

World End, What Do You Do at the End? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?

Rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai

Angel Beats

I've currently got nothing better to do..

The 8th Son, That Can't Be Right! limped in with a second lazily-written yawner.

This is western fantasy anime so generic you can practically see the barcodes.

Started watching Seven Deadly Sins and Baki because I finally signed up for Netflix (damn you boredom and Covid 19!!), binged Love Death Robots.  SDS is fun magical medieval fantasy.   Still working through the first season.   Baki first episode is interesting.  I’ll have to watch a few more to before I decide.  LDR was great.  Love all the different styles and stories told.  Especially the redneck Mecha farmers vs Alien bugs.  

I enjoyed the hell out of Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess with only Destruction Flags's second episode over lunch today.  It's an isekai series, but its premise is so totally different from the usual boring "oh noes, I am teh min-maxed godmode sue in a fantasy MMORPG world" fare provided by the billion different copycat shows that it stands out twice as much.

Spoiler

My girlfriend and I couldn't stop laughing over how outraged the 4th Prince was that Catarina (accidentally) stole his pickup line months in advance and now his fiance basically has a rabid girl-crush on her instead of being all over him.  It's adorable and funny at the same time, a real lighthearted breath of fresh air.