What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

2 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Kinda slow on my part for the anime watching..

Finally started the latest season of Railgun.. not even 3 episodes in and I'm reminded of why this entire franchise gets on my nerves.    2D main characters,   more organizations with silly one word english names with no relevance after 2 episodes... in this instance MISSION...  lol wtf?    and sorry @Hikaru Ichijo SL I know Misaka is your thing.. but Shirai(?) is probably the single most annoying anime character ever created..  ok besides the main character from Angel Links..

Its hard for me to follow chronologically because of all the other spinoffs,  who knows what and where we are in the story progression.   

I was hesitant to start this season because of the train wreck that Index III turned into,  but I will probably slog it out.. hopefully it gets better.

I do find Kuroko sometimes gets on my nerves too.  We are currently in the Daihaseisai arc which is also in the 2nd season of Index.  It is Index light novel 9 and 10. 

Well, I'm done with OreGairu... and it was a decidedly mediocre and unsatisfying experience.  

It seems like the only way they could think of for Hachiman to not seem like a complete dick was to make everyone else as broken and miserable as him, but better at hiding it.

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shōmei Shite Mita continues to be a pretty mediocre experience too.

It was funny and clever for two or three episodes, but the humor is very much a one-trick pony so it got stale with alarming speed.

At least I have a second season of Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai - Tensai-tachi no Ren'ai Zunōsen to look forward to in a few days time.  Apart from that and a new season of Shokugeki no Soma, next season looks like pretty slim pickings too.  

So, since this season has turned into such a massive disappointment, I went trawling through Crunchyroll's back catalog and found some older shows I haven't seen yet.

Started a series called Blend-S, which has so far proved to be an entertainingly warped take on the "eccentric part-time cafe" slice of life sort of story.  It's especially entertaining watching the Italian weeb manager and reverse-weeb main character flounder in the gap between each other's expectations and reality.

Blend S was pretty good.. I probably would have picked up the blu-rays but Aniplex and all...

Promare,  was a typical over the top Trigger feature.   Turn your brain off and go along for the ride.. lol   My 81 year old Aunt saw a preview of it when it was in theaters.  She wanted to go so I took her...   her words were something like.. "I didn't understand any of it,  but it was colorful..   lol.

As for next Season.. I have several I will be watching.. the aforementioned SNAFU season 3.   ReZero 2nd season.   Kaguya-sama season 2.  Gleipnir (sp?) and the latest entry into the Sakura Wars franchise.      And mix in several shows as the season progresses from other feedback.

The final FSN Heavens feel movie comes out very shortly soon.   I'll probably catch the double feature of the first 2 and then roll right into the 3rd.

Blend S was pretty good while it lasted.  Admittedly, once they introduced the trap I started to get the distinct feeling I'd seen this all before... and then it hit me.  This is Kaichou wa Maid-sama as a pure comedy.  Still, that didn't detract much from enjoying the series.

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun is plodding towards its end with all the vigor of an old-school zombie.  I'm not sure that's really a problem in the story so much as a lack of compression in the introductions.  They've only just properly introduced most of the main cast, and it has like two episodes left in its broadcast run unless it gets a second season.  It's like they're going to try to cram the first real story arc into the very end of the series in a big hurry.  

Isekai Quartet 2 is still doing its in-joke thing and at least having fun with it even if a few of the gags aren't so fresh.  

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They've only just properly introduced most of the main cast, and it has like two episodes left in its broadcast run unless it gets a second season. 

What, did they take notes from Star Trek: Picard?

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun is plodding towards its end with all the vigor of an old-school zombie.  I'm not sure that's really a problem in the story so much as a lack of compression in the introductions.  They've only just properly introduced most of the main cast, and it has like two episodes left in its broadcast run unless it gets a second season.  It's like they're going to try to cram the first real story arc into the very end of the series in a big hurry.  

If the last episode you saw was episode 23, then you’ve already reached the end. NHK announced that the second season will start in April of next year. 

11 minutes ago, Beltane70 said:

If the last episode you saw was episode 23, then you’ve already reached the end. NHK announced that the second season will start in April of next year. 

Ah, well there we go.  What a freaking weird place to end it... cliffhangers are all well and good but this just kind of came out of nowhere.

23's a weird number to end on too... normally it's 25 or 26.

I've just started Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to and I think I set an all-time record for "show that had me looking at my watch the fastest".  Ecchi comedy is a fruit so low-hanging you need a deep bore mine to pick it, and yet this show still manages to be bad at it... which is oddly impressive in a depressing sort of way.  It's like watching someone die in a freak shoe-tying accident.  You just can't help being impressed when bearing witness to such a master class in failure.  It's not funny and it's not entertaining.  It's just faintly embarrassing.  If I were siding with Japan's "won't someone think of the children" moral guardian types and wanted to show that anime and manga are a bad influence on the country's youth, it'd be a toss-up between picking this or Strike Witches to build a case around.

32 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I've just started Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to and I think I set an all-time record for "show that had me looking at my watch the fastest".  Ecchi comedy is a fruit so low-hanging you need a deep bore mine to pick it, and yet this show still manages to be bad at it... which is oddly impressive in a depressing sort of way.  It's like watching someone die in a freak shoe-tying accident.  You just can't help being impressed when bearing witness to such a master class in failure.  It's not funny and it's not entertaining.  It's just faintly embarrassing.  If I were siding with Japan's "won't someone think of the children" moral guardian types and wanted to show that anime and manga are a bad influence on the country's youth, it'd be a toss-up between picking this or Strike Witches to build a case around.

Hey. I liked Strike Witches.

11 hours ago, Bolt said:

Any list that includes the smart phone series as a must watch isekai is a total fail.

And did the Author even bother to watch Angel Beats?  I get the impression they "copy pasta'd" just about everything in that summary.

They leave out titles like Escaflowne and ReZero for Smartphone...  phhht.

I've only watched 12 Kingdoms and Angel Beats out of that list. I liked 12 Kingdoms, but barely remember anything from it. Angel Beats was good! UT I don't know it it would make my Top 5 list for those types of shows. The description of the other 3 shows just never interested me enough to give them a shot. 

3 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Strike Witches - I only watched the first episode and felt like a pervert for doing so.  Too bad since the actual story seemed like it would be interesting.

That was my problem too... I watched two, maybe three episodes, and felt like Chris Hansen was gonna bust through my wall like the goddamn Kool-Aid Man.

I'm told it's loaded with aviation history fanservice too, but I can't get past the fact that it's basically pure lolicon fanservice otherwise.

4 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Any list that includes the smart phone series as a must watch isekai is a total fail.

And did the Author even bother to watch Angel Beats?  I get the impression they "copy pasta'd" just about everything in that summary.

They leave out titles like Escaflowne and ReZero for Smartphone...  phhht.

The Smartphone anime would have been better if they went a bit further in the books. I am a huge fan of the books.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... unironically?

Big F.  

I am 100% serious.  I am a huge aviation nut.

6 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

They leave out titles like Escaflowne and ReZero for Smartphone...  phhht

In fairness, they at least call out Sword Art for sucking. Sort of.

2 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

The article is just badly written.  I love your Nagato Yuki avatar.

Oh, the article has all kinds of problems. Just pleased to see someone NOT fawning over Bad Adaptation of Self-Insert Fanfic.

(The Yuki avatar goes back to the days of rampant net-wide Haruhi-ism, but I've grown fond of it. )

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

In fairness, they at least call out Sword Art for sucking. Sort of.

Yeah, but that's the Queen Mother of All Acceptable Targets... one of those titles that stands at the apex of Weeb Sh*t.

I've finished Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to, and all I can really say for it as far as redeeming qualities is that it's short... being just 12 half-length episodes.

Since Crunchyroll had it, I'm rewatching Nagasarete Airantou on a lark.  It's entertaining to have a harem comedy where the harem protagonist isn't merely arbitrarily reluctant to be with the hordes of beautiful women throwing themselves at him.  Even better if it has actual character development and a plot besides excuses for fanservice.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That was my problem too... I watched two, maybe three episodes, and felt like Chris Hansen was gonna bust through my wall like the goddamn Kool-Aid Man.

I'm told it's loaded with aviation history fanservice too, but I can't get past the fact that it's basically pure lolicon fanservice otherwise.

I offended someone last year doing my air combat panel at a con because I featured the Strike Witches Funimation trailer in my presentation. The woman got up and walked out to complain to panel ops about me because she took her five year old to a panel that was rated 16+ in the guide book, online, and the board outside the room. The thing is I specifically asked for that age disclaimer because of the nature of what I would be showing(graphic violence, swearing, nazis, etc) from things like Area 88, The Cockpit, Izetta, Pilot's Love Song. and yes Strike Witches.

Con ops said I wasn't in trouble or anything, but after four years of doing the panel with no complaints this really put a damper on my enthusiasm to where I just don't want to do it anymore. :(

Finished rewatching Nagasarete Airantou... it's just as much fun as I remember, being a rather self-aware harem anime that constantly pokes fun at the indecisive male protagonist who can't cope with a little skin.  When folks with Meiji-era values are telling you you're a ridiculous prude, it's time to reevaluate your life choices. :rofl:

So I started Beastars and I can see why others like it. Legoshi reminds me of myself during my late teens. 

Also started a re-watch of Dragon Pilot since I'm grabbing the Masotan nendroid at the end of the month. Still a fun watch. 

Since I'm going to be working from home for the next two weeks (thanks corona/s) I'm going to add Carole and Tuesday to the pile. Depending on how much I get thru might add In/Spectre if the dub has enough episodes done.

this season has been really flat imo, so I've been doing some serious rewatching. GiTS 2nd Gig (awesome) and Gundam 00 (fun). I cannot wait for the nexrt season to start and getting Dorohedoro on Netflix.

So binged Beastars yesterday, that was trip. Very much a coming of age piece as well as a morality tale. Did connect with Legoshi, I feel for the poor boy, but he is a good boy and hopefully things work out somewhat for him.

The sequence of him and Haru at the hotel had me rolling though as I've dealt with one too many RPs that went in that exact direction. 

Also got to see the two Gundam Thunderbolt movies. Character design seemed off to me, but deculture the mech battles were awesome! The Pycho system had me chuckling since I have a similar system for one of my Imperial Knight pilots.