What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

12 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Netflix's decision to wait until months after the airing of the anime in Japan to release the show to the West is incredibly baffling, I just can't figure out the logic.

By the time it comes out for the rest of us, everyone will have moved on to the next big thing.

Agree. Netflix doesn't really get anime viewers in that sense. The weekly discussions and social media experience are big part of it. Even Prime releases stuff episodically.

Started Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo today... and so far, I'm mildly amused.  Amatsuyu's warped true self is a bit more entertaining than the usual kind, selfless, etc. harem protagonist, which is fitting given the faux-harem start of things.

21 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I decided to watch Strike Witches.  I saw Brave witches and the Strike Witches: 501 Butai Hasshin Shimasu!.

That's one of the few shows I started that I just wasn't able to finish.

It just feels... wrong.  Like it's blatant lolicon fanservice to the extent that I was two or three episodes in and couldn't shake the feeling Chris Hansen was going to burst through my wall like the goddamn Kool-Aid Man.

I'm about to take a whack at Interviews with Monster Girls.  

Seems like a harmless-enough slice of life-y comedy, quite unlike that other title Kodansha really seems to want people to think it's related to... Daily Life with Monster Girls... which is more or less pure fanservice.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm about to take a whack at Interviews with Monster Girls.  

Seems like a harmless-enough slice of life-y comedy, quite unlike that other title Kodansha really seems to want people to think it's related to... Daily Life with Monster Girls... which is more or less pure fanservice.

I loved Interviews with Monster Girls I enjoyed every minute of the Demi-chan.

11 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I loved Interviews with Monster Girls I enjoyed every minute of the Demi-chan.

I have heard nothing but good of it, and it seems that trend is destined to continue here.  

14 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

Watched Beaststars - I think I liked it... still trying to process lol

Ya Beastars is good and has some good social commentaries. And if you're into Beastars, try Murenase! Seton Gakuen this season which is also a school setting with animals in it (the girls are basically kemonomimi or humans with some animal characteristic, and the males are 'animals' in human form, and the faculty are literary dinosaurs). However this is a comedy series as opposed to Beastars which has serious undertones.

Edited by pafy6285

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I have heard nothing but good of it, and it seems that trend is destined to continue here.  

Demi-chan is a rare breed of high school anime with practically zero fanservice at all. The closest you get is a "beach" episode, but even then the eye candy is decidedly more for the girls in the audience than the boys. It's a really wholesome show. I think the Crunchyroll has the OVA episode, too, which is also a lot of fun. I'm hoping they do a second season, but I'm good with what we have, too.

5 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

My favorite is Hikari by far.

I am torn between the dullahan, Machi, and the succubus teacher Satou.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai is so damn pure... it's a feel-good series that really deserves the title.

Finished Demi-chan wa Kataritai a few minutes ago... great show, too short.  I want 13 more episodes, stat.

This was just plain well-written.  The story made me care about the characters with surprising swiftness and without resorting to cheats like fanservice.  This is exactly the kind of character-driven drama that should be 26 or 50 episodes, not 13.  This was good enough that I am seriously looking at getting the official licensed US release.

11 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Finished Demi-chan wa Kataritai a few minutes ago... great show, too short.  I want 13 more episodes, stat.

This was just plain well-written.  The story made me care about the characters with surprising swiftness and without resorting to cheats like fanservice.  This is exactly the kind of character-driven drama that should be 26 or 50 episodes, not 13.  This was good enough that I am seriously looking at getting the official licensed US release.

It was great but far too short.  I do not think they could get much more from it the manga is only 7 volumes.  Maybe another 13 episodes.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

Makoto Shinkai works are so... frustrating sometimes. You can always count on them to be beautiful, but beyond that, it's like being on a rollercoaster ride. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. His short works tend to be his better ones. His feature-length ones have, until Your Name/Kimi No Na Wa, tended to be weaker; 5 Centimeters Per Second was probably his best of the latter, but that one kind of doesn't count because it's three short stories spread across only 60 minutes.

Weathering With You is so ambivalent. There are some really good things about it, but there are some really bad things. The CGI models used for some pans of Tokyo are remarkably and distractingly low quality. I was amazed that such a meticulous director like him gave the okay to those scenes.

He seems to have fully embraced the pop music lifestyle that he began flirting with all the way back when with 5CM. It worked really well in Your Name. Here, it's much more distracting, much more amateurish. When the movie broke into song during the climactic finale, I found myself stifling giggles at how tone deaf it was.

Character design needs serious work. Main male lead is just Anime Male Student, and main female lead is just Anime Female Student. He's especially bad, as he looks just like the main male lead from Your Name, who looks just like the main male lead from 5CM, etc. At one point in the movie they're at an old grandmother's house and her college student grandson enters the scene and I swear to god I could not tell the difference between the two males.

Meanwhile you have someone like the detective character, who's sporting a big ol' swooping forward mane just like Josuke from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I forget the inspiration for it, but regardless, it's such a flamboyant design that stands at odds with the rest of the film's more generic characters.

I dunno... It still feels like Shinkai hasn't grown as a director since his indie days. He still makes the same storytelling mistakes, and he's still an unrivaled visual composer. He still has such a schizophrenic body of work.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru is... interesting.  It's kind of depressing, really, given how perversely proud Hachiman is of being socially withdrawn and how much hate he seems to have for his classmates.