What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

18 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I finished Arifureta and I thought it was really good.  The CGI is bad but I love the story.  Yue is just the cutest thing ever.

If this series had premiered at just about any other season other then Summer of 2019 I probably would have totally panned it.     However because the summer season was so..  what's the term.. lame duck that this title actually stood out.    

I am not sold on the premise of this title and the fact that it already got a 2nd season had me chuckling..   honestly this series is nothing to write home about. 

So finished with Mom and her Two-Hit mulit-target Combo or what ever it's called. At least the MC managed to get through without going Edipius on us.

To replace the daughter series we started on Kemono Machii: Rise Up. About a luachador wrestler that get teleported to a another world to fight demon beast. However this guy really like animals in all their forms. Fact that this world has demi-humans seems to be a bonus.

He also suplexes the princess that summoned him right out the gate. So we are hitting Konasoba levels of comedy-crazy which is nice. 

Also confirming that this season of LoGH is going to end in tragedy.

Edited by Focslain

My flight back from Super Dimension Convention 2019 really left me wishing that Crunchyroll supported downloading episodes for offline viewing the way most other major streaming services do... in flight entertainment's best offering was three episodes of Star Trek: Discovery, which is a bit like visiting a hotel buffet to discover that everything's started to spoil but a platter of lutefisk and kæstur hákarl.

Got back to watching Lost Universe and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable since this past season's offerings were mostly garbage.  The fall season isn't shaping up to be any better, with a lot more bargain basement isekai trash like Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life? and High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World, a lot more waifu trash from the Fate franchise, Azur Lane, and a new one called Tenka Hyakken, another bloody Sword Art Online, and another sh*t-awful gunpla commercial in the form of Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise.  About all that's on the horizon that seems worthy of interest is Shokugeki no Soma's fourth season and My Hero Academia's fourth season.

Really underscores what a terrible call it was on Big West's part to do a second Macross Delta movie for 2020 instead of focusing on a new Macross series that could be cleaning the f*ck up when everyone else in the industry seems to be engaging in some hardcore phoning it in.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

My flight back from Super Dimension Convention 2019 really left me wishing that Crunchyroll supported downloading episodes for offline viewing the way most other major streaming services do...

If you have Crunchyroll via VRV the VRV app allows for downloading for off-line viewing.

5 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

If this series had premiered at just about any other season other then Summer of 2019 I probably would have totally panned it.     However because the summer season was so..  what's the term.. lame duck that this title actually stood out.    

I am not sold on the premise of this title and the fact that it already got a 2nd season had me chuckling..   honestly this series is nothing to write home about. 

They might have planned the 2nd season form the beginning.  It happened with Gakusen Toshi Asterisk,

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, and I can't quite shake the feeling that the fourth chapter of Jojo can't decide what it wants to be.  Josuke really feels like a low-rent but more personable knockoff of Jotaro, but the season feels pretty unfocused.  The first half didn't really have an overarching plot or antagonist... it was one part "hijinks in Morioh" with Josuke and his friends and one part "new Stand using jerk of the week" like a low-stakes version of Stardust Crusaders.  It feels more focused now that it has an arc villain in Stand-using serial killer Kira Yoshikage, but at the same time it feels more derivative of Stardust Crusaders than ever.  Kira's even starting to look a bit like Dio, with his new face and hairdo (and his Stand Killer Queen already looked like The World by way of Beerus), and his ghost father is playing the same role Enya was for Dio... to the extent that I half suspect he was one of Dio's minions.

20 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, and I can't quite shake the feeling that the fourth chapter of Jojo can't decide what it wants to be.

Yeah Diamond is Unbreakable definitely had that feel. Been months since I finished that arc and really, what is most memorable are the characters versus all but the final baddie.

I think after the end of the next anime series to debut, Stone Ocean, I might try to read over the manga starting with Diamond just to see who different it was.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, and I can't quite shake the feeling that the fourth chapter of Jojo can't decide what it wants to be.  Josuke really feels like a low-rent but more personable knockoff of Jotaro, but the season feels pretty unfocused.  The first half didn't really have an overarching plot or antagonist... it was one part "hijinks in Morioh" with Josuke and his friends and one part "new Stand using jerk of the week" like a low-stakes version of Stardust Crusaders.  It feels more focused now that it has an arc villain in Stand-using serial killer Kira Yoshikage, but at the same time it feels more derivative of Stardust Crusaders than ever.  Kira's even starting to look a bit like Dio, with his new face and hairdo (and his Stand Killer Queen already looked like The World by way of Beerus), and his ghost father is playing the same role Enya was for Dio... to the extent that I half suspect he was one of Dio's minions.

Fourth Chapter is simply the weakest. imo. I watched it cause it Jojo. If someone is new to Jojo and want to watch it all, I will just say skip the fourth part except the maybe the first few episodes (due to the retcon made on the stand).

1 hour ago, chyll2 said:

Fourth Chapter is simply the weakest. imo. I watched it cause it Jojo. If someone is new to Jojo and want to watch it all, I will just say skip the fourth part except the maybe the first few episodes (due to the retcon made on the stand).

And the episode with the chef running the restaurant. That crap was fantastic.

28 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Man, I don't know why I'm the only one here who frakking loved Diamond is Unbreakable. :lol:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess?  

Stardust Crusaders is a hell of a tough act to follow, so that may be coloring some people's impressions of Diamond is Unbreakable.  It's still a great show, it just doesn't feel like quite the white-knuckled wild ride that Jotaro took us on.  (Part of that might just be our boy Josuke actually has social skills, where Jotaro just wanted to get right to throwing hands.)

Well, I've officially finished Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable and I gotta say... it was kind of disappointing in the end.

The climax of the series is five episodes long and manages to do almost nothing.  Kira really does just become a low rent knockoff of Dio.  It feels like they changed his hairstyle five episodes before the end because it would have been too bloody obvious that he's a knockoff of Dio if he went into the final fight not only wielding a time-based Stand ability but Dio's signature 'do from the climax of the Stardust Crusaders arc too.  The two-parter where Killer Queen's new ability Bites the Dust is introduced is that one scene of Dio using The World to dick with Polnareff on the staircase stretched out into two entire episodes.  After all that fuss and noise about a plan to use Bites the Dust to keep his identity secret, he gets caught monologuing in the middle of town and immediately gets beat up by Josuke.

TBH, the worst part is that three episodes worth of final battle end with the big bad dying in an accident.  Josuke didn't defeat him, and Jotaro roughed him up more in ten seconds of using Star Platinum: The World than Josuke AND Okuyasu managed to do in two entire episodes.  Our heroes stand around remarking how incredibly determined their foe is... and then he's killed by Morioh's worst EMT team when they accidentally back over him in their econoline van.  Josuke basically got robbed twice in the space of one episode, first by Jotaro breaking Killer Queen using Star Platinum: the World and then by an unnamed background character who actually got the kill without meaning to.  When you factor in Hayato's contribution, Josuke is at best in fourth place in terms of heroic contributions to the fight in the finale of his own series.  WTF!

(Also, how did it never occur to anyone that, since Rohan Kishibe's Stand Heaven's Door can violate the laws of probability and the laws of physics, that he could almost certainly raise the dead just by writing on someone's book that they came back to life?  The entire fight could've been over in one shot if Rohan'd been the one fighting since he could've just used the incredibly broken Heaven's Door to rob Kira of his ability to use his Stand or even kill him outright without him being able to fight back?  When you think about it, Josuke was also probably fourth in terms of people whose Stands were useful for fighting Kira... behind Jotaro's Star Platinum being able to stop time, Rohan's broken as f*ck Heaven's Door, and Okuyasu's The Hand being able to erase people from existence in one hit.)

My vote for best moment in the series goes to either Josuke beating the everloving stuffing out of Rohan in a literal blind rage, or Koichi's Echoes Act 3's conspicuous English of "Okay Masta! Let's kill da ho! Biiiiiiitch!".  If I hadn't been watching the show with its original Japanese dialog, I'd never for a minute have beleived that was the original line.

8 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Worst or BEST?

Now, I'm no EMT, but I'm fairly certain that backing over a seriously injured patient lying in the road and killing them by crushing their skull with your ambulance's tires is well up there on the list of things EMTs aren't supposed to do.

It wasn't even particularly necessary... Kira was already bleeding out from a fractured everything after Jotaro and Star Platinum got done with him, to the point that there were literal fountains of blood coming from his ruptured cranium at one point.  Come to that, how much trouble is the ambulance driver gonna be in when the coroner does the autopsy and determines Kira's injuries look like he'd been hit by the ambulance going 160kph before getting run over?

59 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Now, I'm no EMT, but I'm fairly certain that backing over a seriously injured patient lying in the road and killing them by crushing their skull with your ambulance's tires is well up there on the list of things EMTs aren't supposed to do.

It wasn't even particularly necessary... Kira was already bleeding out from a fractured everything after Jotaro and Star Platinum got done with him, to the point that there were literal fountains of blood coming from his ruptured cranium at one point.  Come to that, how much trouble is the ambulance driver gonna be in when the coroner does the autopsy and determines Kira's injuries look like he'd been hit by the ambulance going 160kph before getting run over?

"Well, yes, we should've checked the mirrors, but he WAS a serial killer with time-travel powers."

"Oh, right. MORIOH. Ugh. Case dismissed, because I don't want to hear about another friggin' stupid stand user!"

14 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Got to give it to the Fate series (watching the babylonia something), market is over saturated and milked to the death and the story are crap, but the success show that it is well funded and as always, has really cool action sequence. It's a good crap

Fate is just waifu fodder... like so much else that's coming out these days.  The stories haven't been worth a damn since the original, and they've got like three good character designs so they're forever reusing the original Saber, Rin, and Sakura with slightly different builds and outfits.

16 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Got to give it to the Fate series (watching the babylonia something), market is over saturated and milked to the death and the story are crap, but the success show that it is well funded and as always, has really cool action sequence. It's a good crap

I haven't had time to sit down with the new show yet, but I am looking forward to it. Each Fate series has its core tropes, and they do use them well. I'm a fan of seeing popular myths/stories told from different perspectives, which is why I enjoyed Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Extra Last Encore so much. I thought it was interesting how those two strayed from certain concepts introduced in the original visual novel and the Fate/Stay Night anime too.

The fan service isn't something that bothers or frustrates me at all. I guess I'm numb to it. *shrug* 

Edited by technoblue
small stuff

Out of masochistic curiosity, I decided to give Macross 7 a watch; two eps in and I already want Basara to die. Gotta wonder what Kawamori was thinking.

Love all the mecha action, though. Nothing like valk on valk.:good:

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Out of masochistic curiosity, I decided to give Macross 7 a watch; two eps in and I already want Basara to die. Gotta wonder what Kawamori was thinking.

Love all the mecha action, though. Nothing like valk on valk.:good:

Not gonna lie, this series takes about 20 episodes to actually get moving on its actual plot.

Basara's pretty frustrating throughout, but there's a pretty excellent case to be made for Mylene being the actual protagonist.

So, I started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure V: Golden Wind today... and boy is it weird.

Feels a bit like a return to form after the slower, more upbeat start of Diamond is Unbreakable.  Very little messing around, it's right into the action and we've had THREE Stand battles and one one-sided beatdown in the space of the first episode... Giorno vs. Koichi twice, Leaky-Eye Luca, and then Bruno.  

I have to say there's one thing that always takes me right out of any Jojo show... when our heroes are running around looking for the enemy Stand user and never once does anyone in the franchise say "ignore the normal people, look for someone dressed like a flamboyant moron".  Koichi is legitimately surprised that Giorno is a Stand user, despite Giorno looking as out of place as a peacock in a penguin exhibit.  Giorno is wearing a fuschia gakuran with gold trim and a basketball-sized heart-shaped keyhole cutout over his pecs.  On the scale of 1-10 for conspicuous clothing, he's sitting comfortably at 5x10^8.  Giorno's confusion at meeting someone else with powers like his is at least understandable, since Koichi's gakuran is a lot less ridiculous-looking than, say, Josuke's or Jotaro's.  Bruno's the first other Stand user he's met who dresses like a Stand user... which is to say, like he got dressed that morning by mugging a runway model during a power outage in the middle of a particularly auteur fashion show.

I guess beating Koichi down is a pretty good way for Giorno to introduce his Stand's power, since Koichi was always subject to The Worf Effect in Diamond is Unbreakable despite how many powerups his Echoes got.

Spoiler

What a thing to say though... Giorno is DIO'S son?  Talk about your odd family tree.  Dio'd bodyjacked Jonathan Joestar's body in 1888.  So Giorno's a Joestar, but he's technically Joseph's uncle?  That's a hell of a generational gap considering he's a couple years younger than Josuke.

I watched the 1st season of Jojo as it aired and really wanted to like it.  It looked a lot like Hokuto no Ken.  It just wasn't for me.  I never liked any of the characters.  Although I did finish watching the entire 1st season, it was something I had to make myself do. 

15 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I watched the 1st season of Jojo as it aired and really wanted to like it.  It looked a lot like Hokuto no Ken.  It just wasn't for me.  I never liked any of the characters.  Although I did finish watching the entire 1st season, it was something I had to make myself do. 

By first season do you mean Phantom Blood or the combined Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency?

1 minute ago, DewPoint said:

I only watched to the end of Jonathan Joestar's story.

OK, so you just watched Phantom Blood.  Yeah, that's a short arc but it's hard to get through because it's SO dense and only actually serves to set up Dio's origin story.  The show gets much, MUCH better after that very short arc, so if you can bring yourself to simply push through it you'll get to the good parts fairly quick.