What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Really, unless Season 4 is a long one a gecko ending is probably a good thing.

That way we won't have to watch the people who've been the protagonists thus far start putting on the reich, and having Eren try to out-Hitler the setting's Nazi equivalent.

I'm going to guess that Season 4 will be a reveal of the larger world and end there befor the reich gets too far along. 

I got fully caught up with Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? last night, and I'm pretty unimpressed with it as a show.

They did tone the fanservice down a bit for an episode or two, but it's back in full force shortly thereafter thanks to Medhi's overly competitive mom.  The recurring plot device that the moms (or at least Mamako) have new powers as the plot demands every time it's convenient makes the story as a whole rather dull, since Masato never really gets a chance to grow or do anything himself.  He's just slowly succumbing to being smothered by his increasingly creepy-clingy mom.  King Oedipus, call your agent.

Since the current season is so disappointing, I'm starting an older show I've had on my docket for-bloody-ever... Lost Universe.

I've heard it's set in the same multiverse as Slayers, in that there's some connection between the sci-fi setting here and the gods of the Slayers setting.

EDIT: Jeez... early deinterlacing shows his this release with a brick.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Just finished episode 3 of Lost Universe, and so far I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Like Slayers, it doesn't really take itself all that seriously.  Millie even looks a bit like Lina Inverse, TBH.  I did enjoy the low-profile gag where Kane is shown to have an entire closet full of identical mantles as a justification for why he's always wearing one.  There's the retro charm of the old school hand-drawn animation working in its favor as well, even if it is rather unmistakably on the cheap side.  Despite that, it still feels like a close cousin to both Slayers and Outlaw Star... as if Gilliam, Jim, and Melfina were all the same person.

The show's early CG animation for the Swordbreaker has NOT aged well... but the biggest visual bugaboo is that the transition from interlaced to progressive scan when what was clearly an old DVD release was converted for streaming was very poorly done.  There are a lot of pan shots with stuttering problems as a result... which is irritating but not a deal breaker.

Been watching Hunter X Hunter due to a co-worker insisting I needed to watch it.  Finished the Ant arc.  Was hoping for a more gruelling Dragonball death match at the end but when I sat and thought about the ending it's more sad and tragic.  I can live with it.  Off to the Election arc.

I finished watching Carole & Tuesday last night. It was a fun first season and I'm interested to see where the story goes from here.

More rambling thoughts are hidden beneath the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

The core plot is solid, and sets up the beginning of Carole and Tuesday's professional music venture as well as a rivalry with model-turned-star Angela. With Angela, Shinichiro Watanabe is revisiting some ideas that old fans of his will recognize from Macross Plus--the idea of music and entertainment being enhanced by AI. There's a twist, though, as the two protagonists are writing and creating their own work without any machine assistance. The whole story takes place on a Mars colony, but after giving it some thought, I think the whole first season story could take place anywhere in the Watanabe-verse and is only really important in establishing Carole as an off-world refugee.  

The juxtaposition of AI/technology and humanity/nature isn't anything new, although I am appreciating how Watanabe and his creative team are using music as a filter. The folk style of the two teenage upstarts is often highlighted/emphasized as this juxtaposition becomes a stronger subplot later in the season.

Also, I have to this point out...I chuckled once I realized they were taking the talent show route to set up the first season's finale. It's been a few years since I last watched a live talent show on network TV--not really my favorite thing, so I guess there's some irony in the fact that anime got me to watch a talent show again and I liked it.

Lost Universe is on my list to watch.    I watched this years ago...  I picked it up pretty cheaply pretty recently,  so its on my list.

Demi-chan..  Not bad,  definate slice of life.   or cute monster girls doing cute things.    

I am doing another watch of Bunny Girl Sempai to prepare for Rascal does not dream of dreaming girl movie coming out early next month.

I missed the movie at AX.. and I will catch it in theatres.

Anyone going to the Promare movie premier next week?

Since we didn't know if it was a limited event or not, my group watched the Saga of Tanya the Evil movie last night pretty much the instance it was uploaded.

I got to see this when it did it's limited Theater run in the US. Still enjoyed it on my smaller screen.

It hasn't been added to VRV yet, but if you linked your account you can still see it on Crunchyroll's main site.

Hopefully with the blu-ray release they'll translate the anthem played during Tanya's propaganda shelling of Moscow. Which was a lovely troll.

Also some-one needs to teach her how to deal with a mary sue. Thieu like zombies, so two to the head.

Hopefully this will help in getting another season made as I'd like to see what she does with a full command.

Ugh... Isekai Hell is dragging on and on.

To be frank, Isekai Cheat Magician has actually become the high point of this onslaught of bland, samey, trash with ridiculous excuse plots... if only because the series is so blatantly and unapologetically half-assed that it feels like a work of accidental parody instead of the series story it's trying so hard (and failing) to put on airs of being.  I'm not sure what part of it was the best for accidental hilarity.  Perhaps the big bad being so crudely drawn that he looked like his beard was made of blue-silver soap foam, or the "royal treasures" that looked for all the world like item line art from a late 80's NES game manual, or maybe how the animation quality keeps spiraling through the f*cking floor so the utterly generic protagonist's face is left to wander idly around the front of his skull like an ill-fitting mask and other characters periodically forgetting to have little details like mouths or eyes.

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? has reached the point where the villains seem to make far more sense than the protagonist... actively rebelling against a game that seems set up to squash any kind of individuality or independence out of kids who were more or less abducted into the game by their (often abusive) overbearing parents.  I know it claims to be a parody of the overused incest fanservice in harem anime and games, but it spends so much time playing it absolutely razor-straight that is isn't really a parody.  I'm legitimately rooting for the group of kids who rebelled against their parents and stormed that dungeon themselves.  They should do an epilogue where it shows that all these kids turned into Norman freaking Bates after being smothered by their mothers for so long.

Lost Universe continues to be excellent, if a little odd.  It definitely has a very similar vibe to Slayers, though after seven episodes I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been much sign of an actual story arc.

I started Saiyuki Reload: Blast as well, which is so far pretty standard Gensomaden Saiyuki fare but for the fact that the Sanzo party has finally made it so far west that they've left the cosmopolitan parts of Shangri-La behind.

I'm not sure what the f*ck I just watched... what was in the office water cooler when they were writing Lost Universe?

Terrorism and sectarian violence on a planet where the two different religious camps are divided over whether chicken costumes or waist-length wigs with horns are holier?

Feels like the entire episode was an excuse for a "does this remind you of anything" moment with Canal rummaging around in Nina's top.

Been watching a number of anime on cartoon network, and one that stands out as a guilty pleasure is Food Wars. Amidst the innuendo and fan service, the show can actually teach you something about the culinary arts. It's unlike any anime I've watched before, as I'm mostly a sci-fi/mecha/action/drama sort of guy, but the show is light hearted fare, and behind all the silliness, when they expound on various cooking methods, there's a glimmer of experience informing the content. It's a fun show that my wife and I have taken a liking to. just don't watch it hungry. :p

16 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Been watching a number of anime on cartoon network, and one that stands out as a guilty pleasure is Food Wars. Amidst the innuendo and fan service, the show can actually teach you something about the culinary arts. It's unlike any anime I've watched before, as I'm mostly a sci-fi/mecha/action/drama sort of guy, but the show is light hearted fare, and behind all the silliness, when they expound on various cooking methods, there's a glimmer of experience informing the content. It's a fun show that my wife and I have taken a liking to. just don't watch it hungry. :p

If your in the mood, Yakitate!! Japan is another good food-orientated anime.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

Honestly, the best thing it's spawned are the various episodes of other anime series (or manga chapters) that parody it.

Even Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To! got in on it, with an argument over the best way to make fried rice that ended with all of the judges being entertainingly wrong.

I went and saw the Promare Screening last night.   

I expected over the top,  Mecha, Aliens, and Jiggly.      Got everything buy the jiggly.

Definate nods to every trigger title before it,  from Inferno Cop to Franxx.

I am half surprised that no Gurren Lagann one liners weren't used.

All in all good movie..

My 81 year old Aunt even approves..    but she admits she has no idea what she just watched.  (neither did I might I add)

This current season has been really disappointing. Even some of the shows that started strong lost  their oomph soon (Dr. Stone and Fire Force) and most of the others were pretty bad to begin with. I hope the fall season is better.

58 minutes ago, Marzan said:

This current season has been really disappointing. Even some of the shows that started strong lost  their oomph soon (Dr. Stone and Fire Force) and most of the others were pretty bad to begin with. I hope the fall season is better.

I totally agree, I am not too happy about next season either.  At least High Score Girl season 2. Where is my Railgun 3.  As Touma says Fukou da.

4 hours ago, Marzan said:

Yeah, I'm finding very little to enjoy in the current season's offerings... even To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts ended with a whimper and there seems to be precious little coming save for more of the usual Fate/waifu bullsh*t.  There is an upcoming 4th season of Shokugeki no Soma though, so at least foodgasm fans will have their fill.

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Jeez... what the hell happened to the animation quality for One Punch Man season two?  It looks like complete arse compared to season one.

In the beginning yea... later on not so much   JC Staff (I think that is right)  stepped up there game considerably.

I am in the middle of Your Lie in April..   kicking me in the feels.

The character designs took some getting used to though.