What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

6 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am continuing Symphogear G and it is so good I am getting through it so quickly.

How do you feel about the new transformation sequences?

I greatly preferred the season 1 transformations.

Finally finished Jojo: Golden Wind. All in all, it doesn't hit the high water mark of Diamond is Not Crash Unbreakable. It returns to the "road trip" storytelling of Part 3/Stardust Crusaders, and runs into a lot of the same issues as that: formulaic enemy of the week episodes, a pace that's both too fast and too slow, and, surprisingly for a 39-episode run, remarkably little in the way of characterization. Giorno is the closest the series has ever come to a Gary Stu protagonist; he always seems to know what's going on, he always seems to have the best ideas, everyone always seems to respect and/or defer to and/or fear him, his Stand powers are conveniently vague enough to justify pretty much anything he does... The number of times Narancia or Mista panic and he interjects with a guesstimate that just happens to be exactly correct quickly grated on me.

This is a weird one where I feel like either 20 episodes more or 20 episodes less would have really benefited the final product. Either condensing the story, expanding some characters (like Risotto) while excising others completely (like pretty much the entire rest of the assassin team or whatever they were called); or expanding the story to allow for down time, offering the chance to get to know the characters without the need for a narrator, would have been preferable to the story as is. I spent 30+ episodes with Trish and still don't really have a firm grasp of her character, for instance.

The ending also seemed really abrupt. I'd have thought there'd be some sort of epilogue in store or... something. An episode to tie off loose ends. The Rolling Stones two-parter obviously was meant to fit that role, but instead it just added more stakes to a story that was already chock full of them and was in dire need of ramping down.

Probably my least favorite of the five animated parts so far, but still more enjoyable than not. I've heard good things about the Jolyne arc; looking forward to it.

13 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Finally finished Jojo: Golden Wind. All in all, it doesn't hit the high water mark of Diamond is Not Crash Unbreakable. It returns to the "road trip" storytelling of Part 3/Stardust Crusaders, and runs into a lot of the same issues as that: formulaic enemy of the week episodes, a pace that's both too fast and too slow, and, surprisingly for a 39-episode run, remarkably little in the way of characterization.

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed by that or not, TBH.

I'm about halfway into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable and I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I enjoyed Stardust Crusaders.  If Golden Wind is a return to the Stardust Crusaders form, that's a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.  

(Not to say Diamond is Unbreakable is bad, it's just got all the formulaic enemy-of-the-week but it lacks any real sense of direction apart from the short-lived quest for the Stand Arrow that was creating all the Stand users in Morioh.  Stardust Crusaders felt a lot more focused because there was a clear goal that Jotaro and company were working towards.  Diamond is Unbreakable is bizarre, but it doesn't feel like much of an adventure... more like Jojo's Bizarre Neighborhood.)

13 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Giorno is the closest the series has ever come to a Gary Stu protagonist; he always seems to know what's going on, he always seems to have the best ideas, everyone always seems to respect and/or defer to and/or fear him, his Stand powers are conveniently vague enough to justify pretty much anything he does... The number of times Narancia or Mista panic and he interjects with a guesstimate that just happens to be exactly correct quickly grated on me.

But is he the long-awaited Jojo protagonist smart enough to realize that the enemy Stand user is always the most flamboyantly-dressed person in the vicinity?

"Where's the enemy stand user?"
"Look for anyone nearby dressed like they mugged a carnival float this morning!"

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed by that or not, TBH.

I'm about halfway into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable and I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I enjoyed Stardust Crusaders.  If Golden Wind is a return to the Stardust Crusaders form, that's a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.  

(Not to say Diamond is Unbreakable is bad, it's just got all the formulaic enemy-of-the-week but it lacks any real sense of direction apart from the short-lived quest for the Stand Arrow that was creating all the Stand users in Morioh.  Stardust Crusaders felt a lot more focused because there was a clear goal that Jotaro and company were working towards.  Diamond is Unbreakable is bizarre, but it doesn't feel like much of an adventure... more like Jojo's Bizarre Neighborhood.)

Yeah, I can see why some would prefer the laser-focused overarching plot of SC over DiU, and admittedly SC and GW feel like actual adventures as opposed to... a slice of life??? anime. What I like about DiU is that each enemy of the week adds to the town of Morioh, and isn't strictly antagonistic. Everyone seems like an enemy at first, but more often than not it's just two people's eccentricities clashing with each other for a bit. Eventually, you expect that that's simply how it goes in a town of Stand users: There's just always going to be the occasional random incident that escalates into a full-blown Stand battle. You know, like how I imagine New York is or something.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

But is he the long-awaited Jojo protagonist smart enough to realize that the enemy Stand user is always the most flamboyantly-dressed person in the vicinity?

"Where's the enemy stand user?"
"Look for anyone nearby dressed like they mugged a carnival float this morning!"

You'd hope so, right?

"It can't possibly be this jack-off contorting his limbs into an impossible pose, what a sneaky konoyarou!"

"Ah, you thought it was the yoga instructor, but it was me, this random frakking ant!"

ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

"It can't possibly be this jack-off contorting his limbs into an impossible pose, what a sneaky konoyarou!"

"Ah, you thought it was the yoga instructor, but it was me, this random frakking ant!"

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´ã‚´

Not gonna lie, I hit like because you took the time to do the sound effect. :D :good:

So a couple days ago I came across these...

20190729_160209_2.jpg.367fd3ec788b05966b001f1c82c21c3d.jpg

when cleaning out my niece's closet. They were my sister's before she died, but there were no CDs (for the jewel cases) to go with them. So I got to looking up the songs on Youtube and boy was it a blast from the past. Lots of Digimon songs (back when there was no possible way to watch the original Japanese versions), an Inu-Yasha song or two, and this from Revolutionary Girl Utena:

Fast forward a few days later, and my Youtube recc's are blowing up with the rest of the soundtrack, and GOD DAMN what a soundtrack it is. Seems I'm gonna have to finally watch this show; thankfully the entire series is officially available subbed on Youtube.

Edited by kajnrig

8 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I finished half of Symphogear GX last night and it is so hilarious and great.

I just finished that one recently. I'd been watching it when it was new, but fell out halfway through and never got back to it. Partially because life problems, but mostly because I wanted to punch Hibiki's dad and the screen was in the way.

I'm mostly okay with how it turned out in the end.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:29 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Been a weird week for industry news too... a couple days back I saw an article from an animator working on Symphogear XV trying to argue that a transformation sequence involving pole dancing totally wasn't "sleazy" or exploitative. 

I may be wrong, but wasn't this the show where one of the characters was in a lesbian BDSM relationship that involved electroshock? 

8 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I may be wrong, but wasn't this the show where one of the characters was in a lesbian BDSM relationship that involved electroshock? 

I think you're thinking of Chris's season one arc. That wasn't a sexual relationship, and I'd call it torture and brainwashing, not BDSM.

Chris's whole backstory is all kinds of messed up.

And then she got saved by someone punching an explosion to death, and now she lives with the good guys. Happy ending(except for the part where she's got boatloads of psychological baggage)

Edited by JB0

8 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I think you're thinking of Chris's season one arc. That wasn't a sexual relationship, and I'd call it torture and brainwashing, not BDSM.

Chris's whole backstory is all kinds of messed up.

And then she got saved by someone punching an explosion to death, and now she lives with the good guys. Happy ending(except for the part where she's got boatloads of psychological baggage)

I see. Context is everything. I never really got into this show, but when this show started getting popular I looked it up on youtube. Most of the clips tended to be amv's, transformations, or things like that Chris scene. I pretty much passed on it.

I watched season one expecting hilarious trash I could laugh at. I ended the season honestly loving it. Which is impressive for a show done on the cheap and rather blatantly designed first and foremost to sell CDs.

I'm more ambivalent about G and GX. There's some stuff they did that I really like, and some stuff I could do without.  Can't fairly offer an opinion on the rest yet.

All in all I am pretty disappointed as a whole with Summer 2019 anime season.     I am still following several series but for the most part I'd say this season is a bust.      Exceptions being at this point,  Danmachi S2,  Copcraft, Dumbells, and maybe Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou.

My verdict is still out on Kanata no Astra but I am not really motivated to keep going with it either.

1 hour ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

All in all I am pretty disappointed as a whole with Summer 2019 anime season.     I am still following several series but for the most part I'd say this season is a bust.      Exceptions being at this point,  Danmachi S2,  Copcraft, Dumbells, and maybe Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou.

I'm not thrilled with it either... especially the number of shows that have shockingly poor quality like Isekai Cheat Magician.  

I finished Symphogear GX last night and the amount of Kiseki (Miracles) that oocur in this show is crazy.

My favorites in order.

Tsubasa (Favorite Singer)
Hibiki
Shirabe (2nd Favorite) Which is strange because i love fripSide
Kirika
Miku (I guess she counts.)
Chris
Maria.

This season hasn't been great for me either, I really only like

Danmachi and Toaru kagaku no Accelerator and uchimusume (it is my senko-san of this season)

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

So I am watching Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

I have completed Season 1 and moving onto Season 2..     yeah I still have no idea what I am watching.    

I think I got this cheap with a Sentai Sale..   The entire plot really does not make any sense..  I would hope the source material if any, is better because the anime is barely coherent at this point.

oh yea and I forgot to mention Boobs...  pretty gratuitous on this aspect.. no outright nudity but pretty close.

so maybe that was the whole point of this series?

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

1 hour ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

So I am watching Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

I have completed Season 1 and moving onto Season 2..     yeah I still have no idea what I am watching.    

I think I got this cheap with a Sentai Sale..   The entire plot really does not make any sense..  I would hope the source material if any, is better because the anime is barely coherent at this point.

oh yea and I forgot to mention Boobs...  pretty gratuitous on this aspect.. no outright nudity but pretty close.

so maybe that was the whole point of this series?

I've watched both, yeah the plot isn't much, well the written version. Lots of physical plot and humor.

From what I saw the main plot is getting the doll her emotions. The side plots tend to be the group surviving their nomadic life-style in a medivalish political climate. 

I just finished Revisions on Netflix. It was all right. If the big tease at the end means that another season comes to fruition I'll tune in again.

Spoiler

Since Milo hopped to a different location and time, it will be interesting if that means we will also get a new mix of characters.

Starting to make my way through FLCL Progressive in the meantime. I'm only a couple episodes in, but I like how they are adding to the story.

Started Nobunaga Teacher's Young Bride today.

It's pretty unremarkable so far.  The only thing that really stood out to me was that, like Isekai Cheat Magician and a bunch of recent shows with odd premises, the protagonist accepts a completely implausible situation almost immediately and practically without question.  He asks her a few basic questions about her name, her family, and what year it is, and jumps right to "this girl is the real Ikoma Kitsuno, the warlord Oda Nobunaga's lover and mother of his children, and has traveled 467 years forward in time".  Seems like fodder for some decent-ish comedy tho, and it's pretty well-animated for a short series.

Been slowly going thru Symphogear, music is meh but the underlining mythology has my interest. 

Also watched the first episode of a new(ish) series on Netflix, Cannon Buster. Looks like someone mashed Boondocks and Trigun together and threw in Penny from RWBY. This will either be fun or a train-wreck, not sure which. 

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Been slowly going thru Symphogear, music is meh but the underlining mythology has my interest. 

Also watched the first episode of a new(ish) series on Netflix, Cannon Buster. Looks like someone mashed Boondocks and Trigun together and threw in Penny from RWBY. This will either be fun or a train-wreck, not sure which. 

I love the music.  I have been listening to it lately.  I do not like Hibiki much but her singing i like.  My favorites are Tsubasa and Shirabe.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

19 hours ago, Focslain said:

Despite the super-long Kickstarter delay, Cannon Busters definately seems to have been worth the wait.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Despite the super-long Kickstarter delay, Cannon Busters definately seems to have been worth the wait.

Caught the first episode last night interesting, seems like it'll be fun.

It started in English by default so I paused and switched to JP and found that the English cast sounded really, really close to the JP cast, so I decided to finish the episode in English.

Don't @ me.

3 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Caught the first episode last night interesting, seems like it'll be fun.

It started in English by default so I paused and switched to JP and found that the English cast sounded really, really close to the JP cast, so I decided to finish the episode in English.

Don't @ me.

Nothing wrong with a well done English dub.

Saw Millennium Actress in theater on Tuesday. God, that movie is still such the best. The translator/team of translators failed to check the subtitles on a handful of occasions, though, and the translation itself was a bit... fuzzy... also on a handful of occasions.

I brought two friends along and I was honestly a bit nervous about whether they'd have a good time or not, This isn't typically the kind of movie we go to the theaters for. But they both really enjoyed it. I was glad they did.

Apparently it's being remastered for Bluray? I can't wait.

so I caught up on Accelerator for now.    It's kinda showing the same cracks that Index and the other spinoffs have been showing for awhile.      Apparently there are even more factions with nonsense names and you hear about them for 1 or 2 episodes.... sigh. 

However... at this point I am enjoying Accelerator.    Much more then say Index 3.. which was a bust.