What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Interesting new anime coming in January.  Title: 荒野のコトブキ飛行隊 (Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai) Kotobuki Squadron of the Wild (West?)

Directed by Mizushima Tsutomu (Girls und Panzer)

Tagline: 空戦が日常。(trans: aerial combat everyday)

Edited by Vifam7

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I guess Girls Und Warplanes would have been too obvious a name for it?

The show seems to have very Western (ie. American Old West) theme so a German sounding title wouldn't be appropriate. ;)

I wonder if one of the episodes is going to be titled "Dogfight at the O.K. Corral". :lol:

Just watched the new 2016 dub version of Escaflowne The Movie. Normally I'm a strict subs kind of guy, but this dub was pretty decent.

While a bit weird as a reimagining of the TV series, it looks so incredibly good (the art and animation make most modern anime films look like hot garbage in comparison) that all is forgiven. And Yoko Kanno's music was at her imperious best here.

I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the Planetarian OVA's and then the Movie.  

IMO the Visual Novel was a better medium for this story,  not to knock the OVA's but the pacing seemed to be off.  Particularly the parts in the beginning between Yumemi and the Junker.

The movie takes place after the events of the OVA's there is some new content here,  however most of the movie consists of flashbacks to the OVA's.    So much time is spent on the flashbacks that I think it detracts from the movie as a whole, with the new content introduced is overshadowed.    Ultimately the end of the movie does wrap up the OVA's story but not without other questions going unanswered.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie
grammar

I agree that Steins;Gate 0 was well done, but I gotta say that I thought it had its own magic. The two stories are linked but separate from each other enough to be self contained. The final episodes (21, 22, 23), and that after credit scene in episode 23 were very moving for me since I was always drawn to the relationship between Rintaro and Mayuri.

I'm looking forward to what the OVA might bring, and crossing my fingers that we get another movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just in Anime heaven right now Toaru Majutsu no Index III started, and it was great.  Then Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 3 and Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator for 2019,  I am sure fripSide will do the Railgun 3 OP.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-07/a-certain-scientific-railgun-gets-3rd-anime-season/.137838

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-07/a-certain-scientific-accelerator-manga-gets-tv-anime-in-2019/.137837

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

New season is sort of meh for me, but new Jojo, new season of Golden Kamuy will be a watch. I thought the first ep of SAO was ok. And will continue to watch the goodness that is Attack on Titan which is as good as ever

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney) has a new season that just started airing recently, which adapts the third game in the original trilogy.

The first episode is eminently skippable, given that it's adapting the frigging tutorial from the game, but the rest should be pretty good.

I've heard good things about Goblin Slayer, and intend to catch the first episode over lunch today.

The light novels'll have to tide me over for a bit until we get a fourth season of Overlord.

Goblin Slayer Ep 1 was pretty good.   Apparently its only going to be 12 eps.. which is disappointing.      As for Overlord.. I though the 3rd season was a letdown,  I'd like to see a 4th season as well.     

The other series catching my eye is Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken which seems like it might be interesting.. Ep 1 was a good start,  Ep 2 just came out.

I am also watching Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai,  and so far the first episode has some promise.    I will be honest though the whole bunny girl bit is what got me here..  just sayin.

Besides the Index 3.. I think the other series that I started watching was Zombieland Saga and currently I am wtf?  with that series after 1 episode.

22 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Goblin Slayer Ep 1 was pretty good.   Apparently its only going to be 12 eps.. which is disappointing.

Seems like a lot of the light novel adaptations coming out lately are capped at 12-13 episodes in a season.  There's even odds it'll pick up enough of a following to be granted a second season on the spike in light novel sales or its viewership share.

Yen Press picked up the license for the light novel and manga, so that may help drive demand for a second season as well.

As for Overlord.. I though the 3rd season was a letdown,  I'd like to see a 4th season as well.     

They seem to be adapting 3 light novel volumes at a time, so it was kind of inevitable that the third season would be a bit of a slow one.  Volume 7 was basically the comedown in the wake of Momon saving the day in Re-Estize in Volume 6, Volume 8 was a breather episode made up of side stories, and Volume 9 was mostly given over to laying the foundations for the next major story arcs where Ainz takes overt action in the world as the Sorcerer King instead of under the alias of Momon.

Spoiler

The first few episodes of Overlord Part IV should be amusing, at the very least.  Volume 10 might as well have been titled Ainz Ruins Jircnev's Life (Entirely by Accident) instead of The Ruler of Conspiracy

It picks up significantly from there on out, with Ainz going to war with the Frost Dragons on behalf of the dwarves in Volume 11, and him and "Jaldabaoth" wrecking up the Roble Holy Kingdom in Volumes 12, 13, and probably 14 when that comes out ~September-ish in Japan.

The other series catching my eye is Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken which seems like it might be interesting.. Ep 1 was a good start,  Ep 2 just came out.

Nice, I've got that one bookmarked on Crunchyroll.  Haven't started it yet.  I'll admit what got me to look at it was a bloody meme about a tsundere dragon I saw on Imgur.

Caught the first two episodes of Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken over dinner, and I'm kind of indifferent to it... it doesn't really feel like it's distinct from the other, very similar Isekai series that've come out recently like Overlord and Konosuba.  Honestly, it kind of feels like a crossover between the two.  Like a grown-up Kazuma is living a more benign version of Overlord's plot as a slime instead of an undead.

Gonna give Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight a whack tomorrow over lunch.

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

I just started My Hero Academia, if you can believe it. I have no idea why this didn't bubble to the top a year ago, but I'm enjoying it now all the same.

My girlfriend put me on to that one a while ago, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  Deku being a crybaby gets old pretty fast but otherwise it's really good.

(Considering what the internet has done with him, All Might really ought to change his name to All Meme...)

EDIT: I forget if "Peace Sign" is the second or third OP... but it's a terrible earworm.  Be prepared to be humming that song for days.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I watched that first episode of goblin slayer over the weekend. There are some things I really liked and other things that made me cringe and other things that made me ask why? I watched because I saw a cool looking armored character on the place holder and had no idea what the show would be about, other goblin slaying. I’ll probably watch the next one hoping for better world building to answer my why questions.

On 10/10/2018 at 6:36 AM, Big s said:

I watched that first episode of goblin slayer over the weekend. There are some things I really liked and other things that made me cringe and other things that made me ask why? I watched because I saw a cool looking armored character on the place holder and had no idea what the show would be about, other goblin slaying. I’ll probably watch the next one hoping for better world building to answer my why questions.

If you're waiting for it to get less rapey, don't hold your breath... I'm two volumes into the light novel and that unsettling aspect of it most definitely is NOT going away.1  Moreover, goblin slaying is more or less all it's actually about, so at least it's exactly what it says on the tin.

(Goblin Slayer is, for all practical intents and purposes, Medieval Batman by way of Doom Guy... and instead criminals, it's goblins that get his hackles up for reasons that'd make perfect sense even if he didn't have psychological problems beyond the dreams of psychoanalysts.)

1. TBH, I can completely understand why this series is accused of glorifying violence against women.  Its author, Kumo Kagyu, seems to take sadistic delight in having Goblin Slayer's party find bands of adventurers made up primarily or entirely of women that meet terrible ends with monotonous, clockwork regularity.  Apart from the man leading the party of three girls in the first chapter, the men seem to be mostly exempt from this.

23 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If you're waiting for it to get less rapey, don't hold your breath... I'm two volumes into the light novel and that unsettling aspect of it most definitely is NOT going away.

I've read through volume 4 so far and this is sadly true.   The manga is even worse about it, as it gives those scenes even more focus than the novels do.  In the novels you can at least skim over those bits and mentally file them away as your regular reminder that goblins are truly awful and move on to the fun parts.  It's a lot harder to do in the manga where raped and defiled women are put on display for the reader in lurid splash panels.

23 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

(Goblin Slayer is, for all practical intents and purposes, Medieval Batman by way of Doom Guy... and instead criminals, it's goblins that get his hackles up for reasons that'd make perfect sense even if he didn't have psychological problems beyond the dreams of psychoanalysts.)

Which is why I carry on with the series regardless.  He's got a great starting character premise, and then he gets actual character development rather than the series just riding forever on that premise.  

Edited by Sailor Arashi

My why questions had more to do with, if there’s a known goblin  kidnapping issue then why send young girls to solve the problem instead of adults. It just seems like they’re adding to the problem by giving them more victims. There are all these strong warriors in a world where goblins kidnap mass amounts of young girls for rape and murder, but they only send groups of inexperienced young girls to meet the same rapey fate. They do mention other monsters in the world, but the rape goblins seem to be the worst. I guess I kinda want to know where the parents are for all the raped to death people or why the fellow villagers don’t band together to rescue their own daughters or at least help the incapable hunters to do the task. 

I have only seen the first episode and haven’t read the novels, so I gues I’m probably asking for too much.

Yeah, that gets explained.  The explanation doesn't make a whole lot of sense when subjected to scrutiny though...

Spoiler

It's because adventurers are paid by the people who sent in the request to have the quest posted.  In this case the local villagers who have no money.  Thus it's not worth the time of the high level adventurers to bother.  The part where it doesn't make sense is the reason they don't send in the army:  They don't think goblins are dangerous enough to bother.   Basically everyone in the setting other than Goblin Slayer (and a handful of others whom nobody will listen to) believes that goblins are the pathetic weak creatures they are in every other fantasy story, despite the fact that they're super-dangerous rape demons in this one.  It's like every person who lives in this world was suddenly magically transported to it from a more standard fantasy world and didn't get the memo about goblins.   Later stories emphasize the fact that goblins can and will completely overrun entire cities if left to breed unchecked, but for some reason everyone still acts like they're harmless weaklings.  

Edited by Sailor Arashi

4 hours ago, Big s said:

My why questions had more to do with, if there’s a known goblin  kidnapping issue then why send young girls to solve the problem instead of adults.

@Sailor Arashi hit on most of the answer, but there's a point that was missed.

The Adventurers Guild in Goblin Slayer doesn't work like the ones in OverlordKonosuba, etc., where guild officials were the ones who determined what an acceptable rate was, would decline to publish requests from those who couldn't pay, and policed the adventurers to make sure people didn't take quests that they had no chance of completing.  In Goblin Slayer, the guild is mostly just a freelancer registry that tries to corral the riffraff, categorize them, tag them so the bodies can be identified if a quest goes wrong, and point them in the direction of work.  They don't have the authority to stop a woefully underprepared party from taking a quest that's way over their skill level, nor do they have any real way to objectively measure someone's competency.

The light novel doesn't beat around the bush about it, and straight-up compares the guild to a temp agency rather than the labor union-like guilds of other stories.

Spoiler

Consequently, since the guild does nothing to actually restrict what quests groups can undertake the attrition rate among new adventurers is astonishingly high.  The light novel suggests around 75% of newbie adventurers die on their first quest, but since they're mercenaries nobody in any position of genuine authority is that interested in changing things... partly because mercenaries don't like being told what to do, and partly because their attention is on the bigger, existential fantasy threats like demon lords, truly devastating monsters, and the like.

4 hours ago, Big s said:

They do mention other monsters in the world, but the rape goblins seem to be the worst. I guess I kinda want to know where the parents are for all the raped to death people or why the fellow villagers don’t band together to rescue their own daughters or at least help the incapable hunters to do the task. 

Spoiler

It's a numbers problem.

On an individual basis, goblins are as small and weak as children.  To a well-equipped and well-trained group of adventurers, goblins really aren't a threat... and since the rewards for hunting goblins are invariably small due to being posted by small farming communities, it's left mainly for newbie adventurers to cut their teeth hunting goblins because they're willing to work for a good deal less money.

It's implied that the fantasy world of Goblin Slayer is currently in the midst of one of a series of periodic surges of monster activity.  Because goblins are weak on an individual basis, they tend to be underestimated as a threat by adventurers and those in authority, so goblin populations are growing explosively because the adventurers best-equipped to deal with large numbers of goblins are focused on higher-profile quests elsewhere.  The newbies often can't cut it against goblin nests because they often have little-to-no combat experience and underestimate those goblins, so efforts to cull goblin populations fail as often as not.  Because adventuring is equal opportunity, the failures often end up contributing to the problem.

That's why the titular Goblin Slayer stands out in the story.  He's a high-ranked adventurer with an extremely specialized practice... he ONLY works goblin culls, and as such is one of the few to properly understand the threat they pose as their populations continue to grow.