What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

2 hours ago, Gerli said:

Finished Darling in the FranXX....

......... urge to become a dad intensifies.

So much homage to the Gunbster series finale.

Giant bomb to destroy alien threat. Currently generation aging and steadfastly waiting for the return of their heroic friends, while building a new future by teaching the new generations.

And finally, the protagonist pilots returning to Earth as two spiraling specks of light.

Someone break out the microscope, there must be a microscopic subtitle of "Gunbuster III" somewhere.

So thanks to the recent live action Gundam announcement, I'm now watching the entirety of G-Saviour, and I'm having a... good time with it????? Everything I've ever heard about this movie has taught me to instinctively laugh it off, but I'm 20 minutes in, and yeah, it's got its idiosyncrasies, and it looks and feels like an episode of... I dunno, Farscape or something... but all in all, it's actually a hell of a lot of fun so far.

I watch one video - ONE VIDEO - and I mean hell I don't even watch it, I don't even watch the show the video is about, I SHARE THE VIDEO WITH YOU PEOPLE SO YOU CAN WATCH IT and for weeks on end now Youtube's been recc'ing videos at me until finally I crack and watch this one and what even just what

i mean it's pretty funny i guess and mako's not bad so whatever

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I watch one video - ONE VIDEO - and I mean hell I don't even watch it, I don't even watch the show the video is about, I SHARE THE VIDEO WITH YOU PEOPLE SO YOU CAN WATCH IT and for weeks on end now Youtube's been recc'ing videos at me until finally I crack and watch this one and what even just what

Very funny haha.  I'll give your 3 guesses who my waifu is.

I finished Grisaia no Rakuen and thought it was very good show.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

:rofl: that was highly entertaining, thanks for that!!

I felt like watching something non mecha for a change so I watched the first season of City Hunter. It's one of the most 80's shows I've ever seen, the episodes can get a little samey at times but it's a good show overall. City Hunter is good at riding the line between silly antics and serious drama. I'm not feeling up to watching another 50 episodes of season 2 right now but maybe I'll watch a couple of the movies.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:09 PM, dizman said:

I felt like watching something non mecha for a change so I watched the first season of City Hunter. It's one of the most 80's shows I've ever seen, the episodes can get a little samey at times but it's a good show overall. City Hunter is good at riding the line between silly antics and serious drama. I'm not feeling up to watching another 50 episodes of season 2 right now but maybe I'll watch a couple of the movies.

Are you also planning on watching City Hunter starring Jackie Chan? :rolleyes:

This is the first I think I’m going to share on this thread. I’m currently watching Lupin III Part V series and Captain Tsubasa (2018).

The first story arc of Lupin III Part V is great. The characters doesn’t feel old esp when they incorporate current trends and tech gadgets. They show how powerful social media is right now in the first arc. And I still love staring at Fujiko. :wub: 

I liked Captain Tsubasa since 1983. I read the manga and watched the anime series. Though I didn’t get the chance of continuing the series when we left Japan in 1985 but I do get to watch the updated (remake) series back in the 2000’s with the Road to 2002 series. And now watching the 2018 remake series, makes me wonder. If Captain Tsubasa can do remake with new artwork for new generation, why can’t they do it with Macross? I’m pretty sure I know the definite answer to this but it does really makes me wonder. ^_^ 

12 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Are you also planning on watching City Hunter starring Jackie Chan? :rolleyes:

If Captain Tsubasa can do remake with new artwork for new generation, why can’t they do it with Macross? I’m pretty sure I know the definite answer to this but it does really makes me wonder. ^_^ 

It's been a long time but I've already seen it. That's kinda why I had any interest in City Hunter to start with, I wanted to watch the original. 

I haven't seen Captain Tsubasa but Yamato got a great remake and that's even older, I think Macross would still do good with a modern audience given the same Yamato 2199 treatment.

15 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I liked Captain Tsubasa since 1983. I read the manga and watched the anime series. Though I didn’t get the chance of continuing the series when we left Japan in 1985 but I do get to watch the updated (remake) series back in the 2000’s with the Road to 2002 series. And now watching the 2018 remake series, makes me wonder. If Captain Tsubasa can do remake with new artwork for new generation, why can’t they do it with Macross? I’m pretty sure I know the definite answer to this but it does really makes me wonder. ^_^

I used to read it myself back in middle school. My friends and I would often play soccer and pretend to be like the characters in Captain Tsubasa.  ^_^

I finished Record of the Gancrest War after much stalling. It didn't blow me away in the end, but I liked it. I almost thought they were going for a Game of Thrones vibe with that grueling first half but then the writers pulled their punches for the second half finale. Part of me is glad that they did. 

31 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

So I started watching Fate Extra Last Encore..    It's pleasantly better then expected so far.. only 4 episodes in so far.    I am surprised Netflix has this.

I've only had time to watch the first episode. It was trippy, but there are some welcome surprises. I'll need to make time for more episodes soon.

Got back from summer holiday (and a nefarious wifi connection) and binge -finished some stuff.

FMP was pretty solid IMO, although the production issues made it maddening to follow at times. Now I really hope they manage to finish it. I want to see that ending with Kaname and Sousuke.

Darling in the FRANXX went  full Gunbuster at the ending. Trigger cannot deny that they're the sons of Gainax. Big time. I think the series lacked some narrative structure and tried too many themes at the same time.

after an impressive spring season, I'm on too summer season 18 and I must say it's pretty disappointing so far. At least we get Attack on Titan 3 in a couple of hours.

2 hours ago, Marzan said:

after an impressive spring season, I'm on too summer season 18 and I must say it's pretty disappointing so far. At least we get Attack on Titan 3 in a couple of hours.

Just watched the first episode and i thought it was great. They changed a little bit the character design of some of the main characters. I liked the work they did on Mikasa and Armin, not quite sure how i feel about Levi whom seems closer to the original design of the manga(at least from what i can remember, i only read the first few tankobons several years ago).

The only thing i found truly awful was the new opening. Shinzo wo Sasageyo was absolutely amazing and i knew we were not getting  something as good as that. But the new one, Red Swan i think it's called, it is in my opinion totally out of tone for the show. Big let down but can't say i care that much since this new season seems to be able to keep the same quality of the previous two.

Edited by Ryoma

Umu.

So I binged the other nine episodes of Fate/Extra Last Encore this weekend, after testing the waters with the first episode. Shaft is working on this iteration, and those familiar with Bakemonogatari and Madoka will be happy to see a shared artistic influence in some scenes (tilting heads, deep angles, imaginative monsters). The story is a different take on the whole Holy Grail war idea, and I like how they have set a different course compared to other Fate anime.

Anyway, I sorta wish we were getting a second season, but I'm looking forward to Illustrias Tendōsetsu.

Finished up FMP earlier today, and by all accounts it's a good end to a middling season. Xebec showed they can meet the challenge given adequate time and resources. Some of the dramatic setups were bungled, but seeing and hearing

two anime characters belt out the daisukis and the aishiterus

without the usual anime overwrought operatics was a damn refreshing thing.

Kalinin challenging Sousuke was also well-written, well-directed, well-acted. It was a great bit of storytelling, a single moment that echoes back to their entire lifelong history even as it radically redefines it. That was a strong, strong scene.

Overall, I still think they stuck way too close to the source material - could have excised Namsac entirely - and the story would have been stronger for it. And no matter how much I try, I can't stop imagining what this same story arc would have looked like in KyoAni's hands. It's unfair to Xebec, who I think did the best with what they had in a very different industry, but still...

But those complaints don't beat out the positive feelings. It's absurdly lopsided in quality, with most of the good coming from the very first and very last episodes and a TON of the bad from the middle 80% or so, but it's just so good to have been back again.

21 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Just watched the first episode and i thought it was great. They changed a little bit the character design of some of the main characters. I liked the work they did on Mikasa and Armin, not quite sure how i feel about Levi whom seems closer to the original design of the manga(at least from what i can remember, i only read the first few tankobons several years ago).

The only thing i found truly awful was the new opening. Shinzo wo Sasageyo was absolutely amazing and i knew we were not getting  something as good as that. But the new one, Red Swan i think it's called, it is in my opinion totally out of tone for the show. Big let down but can't say i care that much since this new season seems to be able to keep the same quality of the previous two. 

I thought the OP doesn't fit the tone of the series too much, but I actually like the song.

The problem this season is going to have is the story shifts gear somewhat. It's going to be more about

political intrigue and clandestine warfare and less about Titans and big battles

So we let my room mate pick most of this season.

Monday
Drop Kick the Devil
How not to summon an Overlord
Angels of Death

Thrusday
Overlord
Attack on Titan
Cells at Work
My Hero Academia

Only really interested in Overlord and if the story arc of AoT is to be what it is I'm pushing for the dub so I can paint and listen.

Rest not so much with a bit of disdain for How not to summon, if I didn't already know how this series was I swear just based on sound they were watching a hentai. 

I also finished FMP..  I am tossed up on this one.    The series started well and bombed out in the middle,  then managed to bring itself back up to just "OK" at the end.

My biggest gripe was the general animation quality..  several scenes come to mind.. Sosuke on the gurney in the church,  Tessa in her quarters.. and Kaname's swimming fiasco.

I think ANN gave it a B... and I think that is too kind..   I'd be hard pressed to give it a C...   More like a C-  or even a D at its lowest points.

Now I am proceeding down the Fate Apocrypha path...   seriously feels like Fate/Dead Horse again.

29 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Now I am proceeding down the Fate Apocrypha path...   seriously feels like Fate/Dead Horse again.

Between Fate/Extra and Fate/Apocrypha, I think it is fair to say that Fate/Extra is the stronger of the two. I was able to look past the quirks of Apocrypha though and the obvious bouts of retelling, I'd probably rank it average among other anime. 

I too am going on a Type-Moon anime binge. On Fate/GO it was announced that all of the Garden if Sinners movies are available on Crunchyroll.  Until I get the chance to see the Heaven's Feel movies, these are definitely the darkest and gruesome entries I've seen of their work.  The claymation parts in the beginning of each, however, are funny.  I'm also jealous at the amount of ice cream that is eaten throughout one of the later movies.

Man, Fate is one of those franchises that seems like it just prints money. They are putting all sorts of nonsense out.  Between /Prototype, /Apocrypha, /Extra, /Grand Order, and /Kaleid Liner, there's gotta be a parallel universe for just about anyone now.

Is Fate/Mecha a thing yet?