What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

On 4/23/2018 at 6:16 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

It was dubbed?    We are talking about the recent Remake correct?       Last I heard funimation has the rights to release it,   since the original license holder failed miserably at it.

Sorry. I haven't been on the site in a couple of weeks.

I only see the subtitled version on CR. It never gave me a choice. I'm up to episode 15 and it's been solid good so far and I'm really impressed.

This Season:
Amanchu!
Card Captor Sakura: Clear Card
DARLING in the FRANXX
Shokugeki no Soma
Gundam Build Divers
Kakuriyo - Bed and Breakfast for Spirits
Lupin the Third
MEGALOBOX
My Hero Academia
Persona 5
Gun Gale Online
Today's Menu for the Emiya Family

Catch up / Rewatch:
Full Metal Panic

Edited by Zx31

I'm catching up on FMP IV, and... three major complaints:

1) Xebec is no KyoAni. The animation is technically impressive but incohesive. And hoo boy did they cut corners on that car chase.

2) A bit of a nitpick, but one that everyone gets wrong: The shot cannon used by Mao isn't a shotgun, it's a pump-action rifle that fires the same rounds as the automatic rifles the M9s use. The reason Sousuke uses it primarily is because of his experience as a guerrilla fighter in Afghanistan/Helmajistan, where its and/or similar weapons' simpler mechanics and ability to quickly load different types of ammunition compared to an automatic made it a versatile tool for him. Most games and even animation gets it wrong, though, and treats it as just a shotgun because it looks like a shotgun.

3) The characterization is really... odd, all around. Chidori gets it the worst of them all; she's bothered by things that didn't bother her before (or that she at least came to terms with before), she's more timid and flaky than she was before... It's as if the events of TSR never happened. Everyone feels a bit more like stock anime characters than before. Speaking of which, this season's writing is much more generically anime than Fumoffu or TSR, which is further disappointing. (Kaname and Sousuke's awkwardly contrived conversation at the end of episode 3, for instance. It's even capped off by the usual hammy mamoru declaration.)

EDIT:

oh also they need mikuni shimokawa back

EDIT 2:

Are they actually calling the ASes "mechs"? Could just be the subtitles...

Edited by kajnrig

55 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I'm catching up on FMP IV, and... three major complaints:

1) Xebec is no KyoAni. The animation is technically impressive but incohesive. And hoo boy did they cut corners on that car chase.

2) A bit of a nitpick, but one that everyone gets wrong: The shot cannon used by Mao isn't a shotgun, it's a pump-action rifle that fires the same rounds as the automatic rifles the M9s use. The reason Sousuke uses it primarily is because of his experience as a guerrilla fighter in Afghanistan/Helmajistan, where its and/or similar weapons' simpler mechanics and ability to quickly load different types of ammunition compared to an automatic made it a versatile tool for him. Most games and even animation gets it wrong, though, and treats it as just a shotgun because it looks like a shotgun.

3) The characterization is really... odd, all around. Chidori gets it the worst of them all; she's bothered by things that didn't bother her before (or that she at least came to terms with before), she's more timid and flaky than she was before... It's as if the events of TSR never happened. Everyone feels a bit more like stock anime characters than before. Speaking of which, this season's writing is much more generically anime than Fumoffu or TSR, which is further disappointing. (Kaname and Sousuke's awkwardly contrived conversation at the end of episode 3, for instance. It's even capped off by the usual hammy mamoru declaration.)

EDIT:

oh also they need mikuni shimokawa back

EDIT 2:

Are they actually calling the ASes "mechs"? Could just be the subtitles...

I agree with point one, the animation is fine for a TV show, but it's not a good as TSR. Definitely better than Gonzo's adaptation. 13 years later anime productions have changed and sadly kyoAni will never do mecha anime again unless you count Violet Evergarden's arms. I disagree, that Chidori's characterization is off, I think it's more a culmination of all of these recent events in this season that are making are her feel really uncomfortable. Crazy Leonard appearing back in her apartment, the school becoming an actual war-zone and even Sousuke's surprise hand holding are all giving her different points of mental stress. Even the crap she went through in TSR is carrying over to how she feels now. Her safe zone is now more gone than ever so I can understand the way she's being characterized right now. Chidori's and Sousuke's conversation at the end of episode 3 was supposed to be awkward, they're both teenagers in love and they're both terrible at communicating their feelings for each other. I think you might feel the characters feel more generic because we haven't gotten a lot of character hijinks this season that past seasons have offered or it could be that these characters are a bit dated for the time (13 years later and all). 

Either way, it's a miracle IV even happened and while it's not perfect, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. 

5 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

I agree with point one, the animation is fine for a TV show, but it's not a good as TSR. Definitely better than Gonzo's adaptation.

Ugh, I can't even bring myself to watch the Gonzo run anymore.

I disagree, that Chidori's characterization is off, I think it's more a culmination of all of these recent events in this season that are making are her feel really uncomfortable. ... Her safe zone is now more gone than ever so I can understand the way she's being characterized right now.

I might buy it too if these events were altogether new, but they're not all that different from what's happened in the past. I feel like Kaname's more passive so far, more uncertain and timid. Sousuke, on the other hand, is more aggressive, even pushy. Considering the progress they've made together and individually in the last major story arc, her reflexively reeling away from him out of fear in her apartment seems like an odd thing to do. And when they're in the car later in the episode and he responds tersely to her questions and tosses items at her, scarcely acknowledging her, it's again not how I'd expect them to interact with each other.

Aside from their little hand-holding moment, which is a direct and logical carryover from and building upon TSR, Kaname seems more suspicious of him than trusting, and Sousuke seems more dismissive of her than appreciative. It's not consistent with how they've always treated each other, and certainly not with how they ended the last season.

Chidori's and Sousuke's conversation at the end of episode 3 was supposed to be awkward, they're both teenagers in love and they're both terrible at communicating their feelings for each other. I think you might feel the characters feel more generic because we haven't gotten a lot of character hijinks this season that past seasons have offered or it could be that these characters are a bit dated for the time (13 years later and all). 

I meant awkward more in that the setup to the conversation was awkward (by way of the aforementioned odd characterization following a moment of incredibly strong characterization) and the conversation felt contrived to give Sousuke his "I'll mamoru you" declaration.

And besides being awkward, it's also... just... bad writing. There's quite a bit of that here (outnumbered by the good writing, for sure, but still). Characters talk in exposition, likely as a means of refreshing the audiences' memory or catching up new viewers on the world, but for instance Kaname shouldn't be calling her Whispered abilities "vague" when she has personal experience of what she and others can do with it. And then there are entire scenes of unnecessary dialogue (like much of the student election meeting).

The total absence of humor does play a role in the "off" feeling as well, I'll admit. The comedy has always been a prime vehicle for characterization in this show, so losing it entirely does change the dynamics of the characters.

Bah. That all said, I do agree that 

Either way, it's a miracle IV even happened and while it's not perfect, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

The last 4,5 episodes of Darling in the FranXX have been plenty interesting, but damnit if the fandom for that show isn't toxic. Any forum discussion on those chapters anywhere you go ends up in name calling and tears. Almost reminds me of Robotech :p

1 hour ago, Marzan said:

The last 4,5 episodes of Darling in the FranXX have been plenty interesting, but damnit if the fandom for that show isn't toxic. Any forum discussion on those chapters anywhere you go ends up in name calling and tears. Almost reminds me of Robotech :p

Kind of like the Fate franchise or the Netflix Voltron fandom, I just choose to ignore most of them and I'm much happier for it. :lol: Gosh, being in the premiere for Heaven's Feel was one of the worst decisions I ever made. 

59 minutes ago, SuperHobo said:

Kind of like the Fate franchise or the Netflix Voltron fandom, I just choose to ignore most of them and I'm much happier for it. :lol: Gosh, being in the premiere for Heaven's Feel was one of the worst decisions I ever made. 

Fate doesn't have a fandom. It's a cult. I remember when Fate Zero was out, their fans from hell were out in force policing forum discussion threads on MAL and coming down hard and punishing any dissent that went against their notion that we were in the presence of a trascendental masterpiece for the ages. Good times.

46 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Fate doesn't have a fandom. It's a cult. I remember when Fate Zero was out, their fans from hell were out in force policing forum discussion threads on MAL and coming down hard and punishing any dissent that went against their notion that we were in the presence of a trascendental masterpiece for the ages. Good times.

Yeah, that sounds like them. :lol: It was like that for Zero,  UBW, Apocrypha, and now Heaven's Feel. The Fate gatekeepers be angry and whiny.  It's a good thing the shows still entertain me. 

13 hours ago, Marzan said:

I laughed more than necessary :lol:

So updating the list, I kind of broke away from my local group's watching to go paint.

They are going through:
Monday - Megalobox and Golden Koury

Thrusday - SAOA, Darling in the Franxx, MHA, and something I can't remember.

Personally I'm lock into the following:
Monday - LOGH (Dub)
Tuesday - LOGH (Sub)
Wednesday - Yamato 2202 (dub)

Plus I started on Girl's Last Tour when it hit HiDive along with an odd find, Valarian and Luarine: Time Jam. Seems back in '08 there was a animated series based on the comics. Looks like Totally Spies art style, but it's watchable and added to my curiousity list.

Also going back thru Heavy Object and Count of Monti Cristo while painting.

FMP IV episode 5 is out now.

I don't know why, when they've made a big hullabaloo about keeping the narrative tight and focused, they decided to suddenly veer into FMP: Another, and for an entire episode (and what seems to be more) at that. It suddenly kills the momentum they've gathered thus far. :/ Oh well. Hopefully they stay in the past for only a half episode or so more, and re-integrate the main plot.

52 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

FMP IV episode 5 is out now.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't know why, when they've made a big hullabaloo about keeping the narrative tight and focused, they decided to suddenly veer into FMP: Another, and for an entire episode (and what seems to be more) at that. It suddenly kills the momentum they've gathered thus far. :/ Oh well. Hopefully they stay in the past for only a half episode or so more, and re-integrate the main plot.

FMP Another is set 10 years after the end of FMP. Episode 5 is following the novel Burning One Man Force which is the novel right after Continuing On My Own ( ep 1-4).  Episode 5 is not the past, it's the present. You'll find out more why Sousuke went to Namsac later. 

3 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

FMP Another is set 10 years after the end of FMP. Episode 5 is following the novel Burning One Man Force which is the novel right after Continuing On My Own ( ep 1-4).  Episode 5 is not the past, it's the present. You'll find out more why Sousuke went to Namsac later. 

Oh. I had suspicions, but it definitely seemed like there was some time shenanigans afoot narratively.

As for the "reasons later", I'm going to take a guess that

the girl (forget her name atm) is a Whispered and will turn out to be the one to help rebuild the Arbalest/Laevatein. I had heard that the girl from the opening episode of FMP was the one to fix it. But I suppose since I haven't read any of the novels, it's just hearsay and speculation on my part for now. I'm glad that I'm wrong on this point, though.

I finished Space Battleship Yamato 2199 a couple of weeks ago. It's good enough to be ranked "way up there" on my list of best animes I've seen so far. Despite the advanced tech described in the show, it felt like the writers gave careful consideration to make sure everything "made sense", from a real-world physics point of view. I couldn't find anything to complain about! The story was very engaging and I only wanted to see a bit more exposition on the return to Earth and the application of the Cosmo Reverser. 10/10 will recommend.

Started with SBY 2202, looking good so far.

Also following SAOA and LoGH:DNT. Loving LoGH too. SAOA just had a recap episode after 5 eps... not a good sign.

As a manly man of manliness, I watch only the manliest of animes. That is why I just spent two hours watching Cardcaptor Sakura. Because it is super-manly.

The original, not Clear Card. I decided it was a good idea to rewatch the original  before getting in on the new one, and I've been working on that for a little bit now.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

As a manly man of manliness, I watch only the manliest of animes. That is why I just spent two hours watching Cardcaptor Sakura. Because it is super-manly.

The original, not Clear Card. I decided it was a good idea to rewatch the original  before getting in on the new one, and I've been working on that for a little bit now.

Did the same a couple months back. I enjoyed it

On 5/27/2018 at 7:36 AM, blackconvoy_D01 said:

Has anyone seen Jūshinki Pandora yet? Thoughts?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jūshinki_Pandora

There's a thread here devoted to it, but I don't think anyone's too interested in it. Me, I caught the first two(?) episodes or so, but I'm not in the mood for that particular brand of... not quite generic... but definitely more formulaic shounen post-apocalyptic mecha anime. I dropped it pretty quickly. I might pick it back up closer to the end of its run, if groups are still subbing it.

Anyway, I'm just catching up on episode 6 of FMP, and one thing I forgot to mention is that I love the branding on the arena mecha. The logos made me grin from ear to ear.

Queen's Blade is getting a reboot...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-06-01/queen-blade-unlimited-anime-promo-video-highlights-characters-story-reboot/.132312

The crew decided to focus on the worst character from the original series Elina(evil incestuous obnoxious catgirl) this time around and added a generic boy with amnesia named Michel(milk toast) that the audience can self(fist) insert into.

The thing is I actually liked the original series and its follow ups. I have a high tolerence for ecchiness and fanservice, and undereath all the T&A the show had a pretty decent story to tell. This though? I'm not feeling it. Even if the tagline is promising more strength and more violence.

18 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

https://animemojo.com/shonen/a-certain-magical-index-season-3-premieres-this-october-a4400

best news I have heard lately finally more Misaka and Touma.

I'd be willing to check out season 3..  

This series was a strange one IMO..  I enjoyed Index...  but I loathed Railgun, and the other spinoff with Accelerator or whatever his name was just seemed blah at best.

Besides Darling in the Franx  there is nothing out this season that I am real into..  FMP reboot is ok not bad but ok.

Grancrest Senki.. while interesting is very rushed.. they went from a run.. to a mad dash.

Megalo Box..  actually is pretty good..

High School DxD Hero...   Meh..

Hinamatsuri..   Kinda funny, Kinda stupid

Beatless..  It has potential,  but it seems as if the shows creator is asleep at the wheel currently.

3 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

This series was a strange one IMO..  I enjoyed Index...  but I loathed Railgun, and the other spinoff with Accelerator or whatever his name was just seemed blah at best.

Besides Darling in the Franx  there is nothing out this season that I am real into..  FMP reboot is ok not bad but ok.

Grancrest Senki.. while interesting is very rushed.. they went from a run.. to a mad dash.

Beatless..  It has potential,  but it seems as if the shows creator is asleep at the wheel currently.

I am a huge fan of the whole Toaru series and I am a huge fan of Misaka and her clones (10032 and 19090). 

11 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I'm the other way. Railgun is fun as heck, Index... isn't.

Agreed on the Accelerator spinoff, though.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:46 PM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

You should check out Steins Gate 0 (well if you've seen the first one too). Its a great watch! And Legend of the Galactic Heroes, while nowhere nearly as good as the Artland OVA from the 90's, is still pretty decent.

3 hours ago, Marzan said:

You should check out Steins Gate 0 (well if you've seen the first one too). Its a great watch! And Legend of the Galactic Heroes, while nowhere nearly as good as the Artland OVA from the 90's, is still pretty decent.

Honestly I have to re-watch the 90's LoGH soon, most likely after the season is done since it will be months before we see the season two movies. Give a good side by side for eps 5+

I will say that after listening to the book, LoGH is the most direct adaption I have seen to date. Like it seems that the script is just the novel with maybe a small tweak. Heck up until ep 7 it was running at a chapter per episode.