What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

On 1/9/2018 at 11:28 PM, zaino said:

The second opening of Magnus Bride is May'n

too bad reddit doesnt like it

their loss

I need to hear the new opening, every YT video that has it is region blocked to me for a reason (Victor Entertainment it seems). Might get to that ep tonight with my local anime group. Been trying to be nice and not watch ahead of them.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, Big s said:

Sorry to hear about virgin soul, SuperHobo. I am a bit invested in the characters from genesis series and really had fun with it so I will probably still give it a try. 

Definitely, still give it a try. You might come out enjoying it despite its flaws. Production values are higher for Virgin Soul, so there's some sweet eye candy in it. 

Watched Miss Hokusai yesterday. It wasn't what I expected - more a bunch of short stories than a historical drama - but still, I liked it for what it was. It doesn't use the medium to much effect - you can tell it's almost a direct lift of the manga, panel to cel, for better and for worse - but the art is strong and the characters likeable and their lives are interesting. The lack of a central plot makes for an almost meditative experience. You don't have to expend effort trying to keep up with the story, you just let yourself live in their world for a little while.

Recommended? ...yes, but with the caveat that you have to be in the mood for it.

Here's the trailer:

This must be the season of surprises, because I just went into the new(?) Netflix Godzilla anime movie expecting a Godzilla anime movie and got a hard sci-fi drama with one of the bleakest, most abjectly terrifying portrayals of Godzilla ever. They REALLY play up the force of nature  angle here. Holy crap, that was a ride.

They make sure to take into account time dilation, that's how hardcore the sci-fi is here. The human-alien coalition has been wandering space for 20 years, meanwhile back on Earth they estimate that nearly 1,000 years have passed.

Turns out it's closer to 20,000.

Just holy what the frakk this movie. I still can't believe what I just saw.

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

This must be the season of surprises, because I just went into the new(?) Netflix Godzilla anime movie expecting a Godzilla anime movie and got a hard sci-fi drama with one of the bleakest, most abjectly terrifying portrayals of Godzilla ever. They REALLY play up the force of nature  angle here. Holy crap, that was a ride.

They make sure to take into account time dilation, that's how hardcore the sci-fi is here. The human-alien coalition has been wandering space for 20 years, meanwhile back on Earth they estimate that nearly 1,000 years have passed.

Reveal hidden contents

Turns out it's closer to 20,000.

Just holy what the frakk this movie. I still can't believe what I just saw.

So... is it good? I want to see it whenever my little girl is done watching Barbie: Video Game Hero on Netflix for the thousandth time, lol.

PS: Most of the Barbie shows on Netflix are actually well made and not dumb at all.

I'd say... yes? Cautiously. It uses that super fluid cel-shaded CGI style that I don't particularly like, but the quality of the art is great. The characters don't really have a lot to them, which isn't exactly a criticism in a Godzilla movie, but they almost feel wasted here. The world feels incredibly fleshed out and could have made for a great standalone sci-fi series in the vein of Star Trek. The choreography could have used some improvement as you don't really get a proper sense of the scale of Godzilla. Oh, and it uses the (new) American design of Godzilla, too, for whatever that's worth to you. I think it's a perfectly fine design, so I had no issues with it here.

So... Yeah, color me impressed. Definitely not what I was expecting, but definitely good.

Godzilla started slow, and included a lot of overly complicated exposition, but eventually rewarded my patience in those final scenes. I can recommend it for that alone, although for the moment it does feel different compared to other Polygon Pictures productions.

I've included the following comments in spoiler tags, since they include some after credit stuff.

Spoiler

I'm really interested in seeing how the returning humans reintegrate with the others that were left behind. I'm also keen on seeing Mechagodzilla in action. I reckon it will play a larger part in the subsequent OVAs. I also hope we get to see more monsters than just those flying wyvern things.

Devilman Crybaby....man, where to start?

It's extreme, polarizing, gruesome, sexually violent, obtuse, eclectic, and I watched it all the way to the end. It also introduces a new artsy anime running style, which has no biomechanical benefit. :p I don't have any experience with other Devilman productions before this one, so I enjoyed watching the core story between Akira and Ryo unravel the way that it did. It isn't an anime for the faint of heart though, or those easily offended.

12 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Watched Godzilla on Netflix. Interesting and looking forward to part 2.

40 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Godzilla started slow, and included a lot of overly complicated exposition, but eventually rewarded my patience in those final scenes. I can recommend it for that alone, although for the moment it does feel different compared to other Polygon Pictures productions.

I've included the following comments in spoiler tags, since they include some after credit stuff.

Hide contents

I'm really interested in seeing how the returning humans reintegrate with the others that were left behind. I'm also keen on seeing Mechagodzilla in action. I reckon it will play a larger part in the subsequent OVAs. I also hope we get to see more monsters than just those flying wyvern things.

It's way different from your typical Godzilla movie, isn't it? All that "overly complicated exposition" sounds like setup for a space adventure series, not a two-part OVA monster flick. I mean in the end it's well worth it, but yeah, I'm still struck by how different it is.

I also really liked that post-credits scene, sets up nicely for the follow-up.

40 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Devilman Crybaby....man, where to start?

It's extreme, polarizing, gruesome, sexually violent, obtuse, eclectic, and I watched it all the way to the end. It also introduces a new artsy anime running style, which has no biomechanical benefit. :p I don't have any experience with other Devilman productions before this one, so I enjoyed watching the core story between Akira and Ryo unravel the way that it did. It isn't an anime for the faint of heart though, or those easily offended.

I've heard some generally good press for this... show? OVA? movie? I think I'll check it out tonight, see what it's about. I remember the old Devilman commercials when I think Manga Entertainment was releasing it. Check out all that cheese!

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

It's way different from your typical Godzilla movie, isn't it? All that "overly complicated exposition" sounds like setup for a space adventure series, not a two-part OVA monster flick. I mean in the end it's well worth it, but yeah, I'm still struck by how different it is.

I also really liked that post-credits scene, sets up nicely for the follow-up.

Indeed. I think a full series would have helped to set up more of that "humanity's final days" aspect which was rushed in the first few minutes. I also think a full series would have helped flesh out some of the more important characters, along with what drives them. The way it was done focuses more on Godzilla, which is fine, but I'm ever so curious about the other stuff going on. 

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I've heard some generally good press for this... show? OVA? movie? I think I'll check it out tonight, see what it's about. I remember the old Devilman commercials when I think Manga Entertainment was releasing it. Check out all that cheese!

It's a new series. From what I've read, it stands on its own as an original retelling of the core story. But, yeah, it's dark.

4 minutes ago, F360 said:

It's a mix of Kill la Kill and Evangelion.  

With Mecha designs straight out of Heroman.  Only the finest high quality animation ecchi for me.  >.>

Gave myself to the halfway point of the new Devilman show. I kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't. It starts off with forgettable storytelling but some... provocative... imagery, both of which you kind of expect going into something called Devilman. But it never moves beyond that; I kept waiting to learn more about the world, and never got what I wanted. Animation style aside, it's also pretty low quality. They try to get by on shock value, which only gets you so far.

Oh well.

6 minutes ago, treiz said:

With Mecha designs straight out of Heroman.  Only the finest high quality animation ecchi for me.  >.>

Just wanted to give you a thumbs up for pulling the P-Chan avatar. I dunno anyone who still remembers Ranma 1/2.

Edited by kajnrig

13 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Gave myself to the halfway point of the new Devilman show. I kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't. It starts off with forgettable storytelling but some... provocative... imagery, both of which you kind of expect going into something called Devilman. But it never moves beyond that; I kept waiting to learn more about the world, and never got what I wanted. Animation style aside, it's also pretty low quality. They try to get by on shock value, which only gets you so far.

Oh well.

I tend to agree. The second half does get closer to the story, but it doesn't really ever free itself from the crutch of all those shock value elements. Oh well indeed.

In other news, I've added Darling in the FranXX to my watch list! ^_^

19 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

It is Trigger. I dont expect anything less. Saw the first episode Darling in the Franxx and I liked it.

Oh, it is a Trigger show?

Adding it to my list now.

(Dear Trigger,

Inferno Cop 2. Make it happen.

Sincerely, everyone)

Saw Lord Marksman and Vanadis. Good story, good characters, cute girls ;)

It's worth checking out. It finishes on a good point, but there's more content that could be made into a season 2, if the universe will allow it...

Almost finished with The Ambition of Oda Nobuna. Cool concept, got some laughs, engaging story and characters. I'm pleasantly surprised!

8 hours ago, frothymug said:

Saw Lord Marksman and Vanadis. Good story, good characters, cute girls ;)

It's worth checking out. It finishes on a good point, but there's more content that could be made into a season 2, if the universe will allow it...

Much like another niche favorite of mine (Irregular at Magic High School), this series has potential for a second season. Also I did enjoy Lord Marksman as well, Tigre is what a good harem MC should be.

However like Irregular, if you want more of the series you'll have to go after the light novels/manga for more. In the case of Lord Marksman the anime is volumes 1-5 of 18.

Edited by Focslain

This season has been pretty entertaining so far. On top of the strong releases by Netflix (devilman, Godzilla and Violet Evergarden) we have Darling in the Franxx, the return of Gotou as a restaurant manager and a ladies (young ladies mind you) man and the sequel to Basilisk.

2 that haven't been mentioned here are Kokkoku which is a quite decent seinen mystery with a dose of the supernatural, and A Place Further Than The Universe which is a very charming and light hearted story of a bunch of young girls trying to travel to Antartica to fulfill a promise. Normally I don't like these kinds of sweet girls doing stuff together stories, but this one has some pretty cool characters and something happens in every episode (it's not just sitting around drinking tea).

27 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Normally I don't like these kinds of sweet girls doing stuff together stories, but this one has some pretty cool characters and something happens in every episode (it's not just sitting around drinking tea).

So Yuru Camp is out of question then? (Cute girls doing camping stuff) :p

I've got a handful I'm following this season..

Violet Evergarden...  looks great but no idea where this story is headed.

Beatless..  Kinda reminds me of a cross between Plastic Memories and Bubble Gum Crisis.

Grancrest Senki..  Not sure about this one seems to be ok but not leaving a strong impression with me.

Hakata Tonkatsu Ramens..  Hitmen killing Hitmen..  premise is kinda dumb actually..  unless this picks up quickly it will get dropped by me pretty soon.

Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san...  this series is essentially about a girl who likes a boy and trolls the living crap out of him..

Overlord 2... 2nd season of Overlord.. I like this one.

Ancient Magus Bride.. I am waaay behind in this series still on the first season (episode 8 ) but I like what I see so far.