What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Got my animeigo BGC blu ray set today. Not quite up to the Gunbuster & Macross remasters, but still very pretty.

Snap! I didn't even know that was released! Can you still get it? Couldn't tell when I went to the site. May of missed it. Would so love BGC on blu ray! Is the Gunbuster OVA a Japanese release w/o subs?

I'm 9 episodes into Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse, and can someone without using spoilers tell me why this series gets mixed to bad reviews? Was it because people were expecting a lot of fanservice, or a romantic comedy instead the brutal war series with a death rate just short of A Game of Thrones that we ended up getting?

I'm 9 episodes into Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse, and can someone without using spoilers tell me why this series gets mixed to bad reviews? Was it because people were expecting a lot of fanservice, or a romantic comedy instead the brutal war series with a death rate just short of A Game of Thrones that we ended up getting?

The series started good. I like how everyone really die fast, and how they are overwhelmed with the invading Aliens. I want to know how they can advance their weaponry or at least develop a good strategy against them but none of these happened since there is a lot of fanservice, harem and useless politics.

At the end, I decided to stop watching near the 20 episode mark because I cant bear to waste my time checking if the next episode will redeem the series or not.

This is my favourite series to date, I didn't even notice the aforementioned fanservice stuff because the mecha are cool and the action is great. Yeah, now that you mention politics maybe that could have been a deal breaker, but it gives you a break at least and seems to be integral in most stories anyways.

My one nit pick is that the aliens themselves are a little dumb looking. I guess design can only do so much, without stepping on the toes of other series/IP.

I always thought the general consensus was that most people actually somehow liked Muv-Luv, I personally know exactly why I hated, and hate it I did. It was weird, the first episode showed such promise, and yet within one or two episodes it turned into one of the worst s#$@ shows I've ever had the misfortune of sitting through. Giant aliens invading earth? Sweet I like the sounds of that, it's been done before but let's see what you've got. Militaries across the world re-purpose their air forces into giant cool looking mecha? Okay, that's what I'm talking about. Incredibly brutal first episode, where cute googly eyed anime girls get murdered in brutal fashion, actually showing that this could be a world and an anime with consequences and weight to it? Oh yes please, that poor girl getting her guts eaten out was crazy. But like I said, within one or two episodes everything changed. The main characters aren't even in the war? A shitty will they, won't they, they obviously will love story? Love triangles, one of which involves some weird busty Russian lady or whatever with a little sister, or clone, or something. There was a beach filler episode if I remember, so yeah. that. More go Japan, ra ra ra our mecha and everything we have and do is awesome, eh pass....I watched the whole thing, I don't remember it though, like at all, it was background sound for about a week, it was so terribly bad, cool mecha designs, but damn was it bad overall. i don't really recall much political jargon or discussion going on in it, but once again, I paid almost zero attention after I had started it, I only remember bits and pieces.

http://anichart.net/winter

The 2015 Winter season is upon us and I have to say that it doesn't look too impressive. Besides the second parts of Jojo and Aldnoah Zero, and Durarara there's nothing that's a lock for me. I'm gonna give Kan Colle a watch to see what the hype is all about and Death Parade because it's by Madhouse. I'm hoping for some hidden gems a la Ping Pong or Shirobako from seasons past to impress.

Speaking of which, episode 12 from Shirobako was great and had some pretty heavyweight characters appearing in it.

Thanks to you guys I decided to look into this series as well. The first two episodes are pretty good; good enough to distract me from my promise to watch the newer Fist of the North Star 3 part series from a couple of years ago. But, if any of the stuff Tking posted is true, then I'll drop it faster than I found it. If it's one thing I can't stand in a story it's excessive natonalism, fan service and preachy politics...

Edited by myk

So over the weekend I was made aware that the author of Full Metal Panic had another series animated recently, and marathoned Amagi Brilliant Park. In which a high-school student is drafted at gunpoint into managing a ratty amusement park and saving it from shutdown.

It's... pretty much exactly what I expected. Except that I really really really wished there was more when I was done.

And then I decided to rewatch Utena. And started with the movie, because I was apparently feeling the need to damage my sanity. Thing is beautiful, but defies almost all sense of logic and reason.

http://anichart.net/winter

The 2015 Winter season is upon us and I have to say that it doesn't look too impressive. Besides the second parts of Jojo and Aldnoah Zero, and Durarara there's nothing that's a lock for me. I'm gonna give Kan Colle a watch to see what the hype is all about and Death Parade because it's by Madhouse. I'm hoping for some hidden gems a la Ping Pong or Shirobako from seasons past to impress.

Speaking of which, episode 12 from Shirobako was great and had some pretty heavyweight characters appearing in it.

yes, it does not look impressive. Other than the one you mentioned, I am not looking at anything else. I will check some of it and hopefully something can turn out good. Too bad though, you need to spend 3 to 5 episodes to know if you like it or not :angry:

I always thought the general consensus was that most people actually somehow liked Muv-Luv, I personally know exactly why I hated, and hate it I did. It was weird, the first episode showed such promise, and yet within one or two episodes it turned into one of the worst s#$@ shows I've ever had the misfortune of sitting through...

Episodes one and two had me on the edge of my seat, clutching my Tsukuda Eva-02 in absolute excitement. But episode three, then four? I barely finished episode four as it was such a disappointment. What a damn waste...

I was just a tad disappointed by that first episode of Kan Colle. I expected something like a blend of Girls und Panzer and Arpeggio of Blue Steel (with much better animation though).

But I somehow just couldn't take the battles seriously The girls stay in human form all the time and I'm from the TRAANSSFORRMASHHIOON school of anime. Is there some change to this in the future and we're getting some fine looking WW2 Japanese ships? Anyone here play the card game?

2014 was Space Dandy, Yamato 2199, GiTS: Arise, and Attack on Titan (S1) for me. Im still trying to get into Valvrave the Liberator, and Knights of Sidonia.

2015 will be about Gangsta and Titan (S2) for right now- hopefully more animes that peak my interest to come.

so the new tokyo ghoul while looks like faithful to the manga at the start, eventually departs from it by the end. imo, the end of the first Tokyo Ghoul manga is too painful to read so I am being a bit positive here that they are trying to create a new story for it.

2014 was Space Dandy, Yamato 2199, GiTS: Arise, and Attack on Titan (S1) for me. Im still trying to get into Valvrave the Liberator, and Knights of Sidonia.

2015 will be about Gangsta and Titan (S2) for right now- hopefully more animes that peak my interest to come.

No Cross Ange? It's getting surprisingly good.

I was just a tad disappointed by that first episode of Kan Colle. I expected something like a blend of Girls und Panzer and Arpeggio of Blue Steel (with much better animation though).

But I somehow just couldn't take the battles seriously The girls stay in human form all the time and I'm from the TRAANSSFORRMASHHIOON school of anime. Is there some change to this in the future and we're getting some fine looking WW2 Japanese ships? Anyone here play the card game?

Dude its closer to Strike Witches than GuP or Arpeggio. The girls don armor based on historical warships similar to the Witches striker units. The girls don't ride around in or transform into warships.

No Cross Ange? It's getting surprisingly good.

I agree Cross Ange is indeed getting good :-)

I would also add the following for 2014;

Aldnoah Zero (my top 3 anime of 2014)!!

Fate Unlimited blade works (the art and animations is very high quality)

Amagi (is one of the funniest series of 2014)