What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Oh Cross Ange, I want to see someone buy the Astray shield, and SF's dual rifles!

I know, right? It's like they have left over models and designs from Gundam Seed and they're just putting them in there. Even the new male MC-kun looks like Jesus Kira.

did you guys spot Voltes V's laser sword? made me chuckle.

i've only seen Gundam Waltz and MS Igloo so the designs in Cross Ange are new to me. i like the mechs and how the show is going so far, though a couple of episodes back i was a bit worried that it would devolve into a half season of angsty Ange. glad it seems like she'll be snapping out of it by the next episode.

this show reminds me of Mnemosyne because of the combination of gore and overt sexual overtones.

got hooked on Hitsugi no Chaika. so far the story seems pretty straightforward, but perhaps only deceptively so. i'm intrigued.

Completed watching the Giant Robo OAV yesterday. It was just.....OK. Story was a bit all over the place but the action was pretty good. Don't really like the character designs though.

I'm now 3 episodes into Slam Dunk and liking it quite a bit so far. Man those blatant stereotypes though :lol:

I just had an epiphany today concerning sports anime. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 99% of it all essentially the same plot boiled down to this...

1.newbie with special ability beyond compare joins sport/team

2.said sport/team is bad/disgraced/verge of disbanding

3.newbie becomes big baby jesus offering salvation

4.episodes of bonding with a practice event against another school

5.meet arrogant rival for first time, get whooped on.

6.TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!

7.bring in reluctant loner with skill rivaling newbie jesus

8.enter tournament

9.told by authority team/school/sport will disband if you lose

10.beat everyone until final match

11.face overpowered cheap rival of which the following will happen...

11a.team wins at last second on miracle bs play that wouldn't work in real life and big baby jesus newbie celebrates saving the school/sport/team and earns respect of cheap overpowered rivals.

11b.newbie jesus fails to win, everyone is depressed, somehow the powers that be decide to not disband the team/sport/school better luck next year, so you end up wondering why the hell you wasted all the time watching the damn show in the first place when nothing ends up mattering in the end.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I just had an epiphany today concerning sports anime. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 99% of it all essentially the same plot boiled down to this...

6.TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!

8.enter tournament

11a.team wins at last second on miracle bs play that wouldn't work in real life and big baby jesus newbie celebrates saving the school/sport/team and earns respect of cheap overpowered rivals.

11b.newbie jesus fails to win, everyone is depressed, somehow the powers that be decide to not disband the team/sport/school better luck next year, so you end up wondering why the hell you wasted all the time watching the damn show in the first place when nothing ends up mattering in the end.

You just perfectly described Dragonball and Dragonball Z and ...

:bump:

---

Also, I don't think that description will work with the sports anime version of Mitsuru Adachi's manga (Touch, H2, ...)

:D

Completed watching the Giant Robo OAV yesterday. It was just.....OK. Story was a bit all over the place but the action was pretty good. Don't really like the character designs though.

I'm now 3 episodes into Slam Dunk and liking it quite a bit so far. Man those blatant stereotypes though :lol:

Oh those were the days for Slam Dunk. Super cheesy at most

6.TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!

8.enter tournament

Just watched girls und panzer and that's the plot to the letter. Not that I mind though, it's simple feel good fare and the predicability is just part of the charm..oh and it has tanks!

Well to be honest the English journalist and author Christopher Booker in his book "The Seven basic Plots" argues that there typically only are well...seven basic plots and that most of mankinds stories written over the past 5000 years cover. So I'm not surprised if all sports anime has the same story ad nauseam. You could argue that 90% of all mecha anime has the same storyline.

might be interesting to discuss what animes constitute that 10% ie. shows that strike you as quite original or unique, whether in mecha or other genre.

some very good recommendations might come out of that.

I am actually okay with the 90%. It is just that, some show are better planned and delivery was good. You could say most of Sunrise/Bandai mecha stuff follow the same format but at least, they made Code Geass interesting.

I am actually okay with the 90%. It is just that, some show are better planned and delivery was good. You could say most of Sunrise/Bandai mecha stuff follow the same format but at least, they made Code Geass interesting.

Exactly. It's all about how the show is delivered. If you have good characters and good art/animation, you can get away with doing the same story again and again.

Just got done with Outbreak Company. The concept of an anime/manga otaku, Shinichi, going to another world with elves, wolf people, and dragons and spreading the otaku culture seems pretty interesting. It's mostly a comedy. But there's some conspiracy involving the JSDF and Japanese government to add to the drama. The show was ok, like 7/10 ok. The ending was a little rushed and it left lots of room for a second season.

Outbreak Company has it moments but i wish they left out the conspiracy angle. it was doing well enough without it.

Denki-gai no Honya-san ep.05 was hilarious (well, at least the first part was). what do you call the manga style/concept of drawing a female character to be posed or dressed in such a way that panties are not visible but the reader is tantalized with the question: is she wearing or not?

answer: Schrodinger's Pantsu

Edited by Major Focker

I've been watching Samurai Flamenco on Netflix this week, and I'm up to episode 8. I think Manglobe has another hidden gem the likes of Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo, and Michiko to Hatchin. This isn't a story about a Batman type, a Wonder Woman type, or even a Power Rangers team (but it does poke fun at the latter). It's more realistic than these in some aspects, almost on the level of Kick@ss but with a heavy dose of lighthearted humor in place of the almost oppressive, dark overtones in certain Hollywood superhero films.

Speaking of uncomfortable... I've started rewatching Gunslinger Girl by way of introducing some other folks to it.

I love how they never start trying to tell you what you should think about this shiznit, and the show just lets it sit there.

We know none of these girls had a long or happy future ahead of them BEFORE they were turned into brainwashed* cyberassassins, and we know they STILL don't have a long or happy future ahead of them now.

Beyond that? The show's willing to just let the creepiness loiter around like an elephant in the room until you want to deal with it. It won't call attention to it, won't tell you how you should feel about it. It's just THERE.

*With Rico being notably less brainwashed. But then, her parents literally sold her to the government, why would they WANT to erase those memories?

I recently finished Heroic Age, and I really liked it. I found it was something I looked forward to watching, as opposed to something I finished just so I didn't miss anything cool.

I am still avoiding Kiss Dum Planet Engage, I watched the second episode but the spastic story line didn't come together quite enough for me yet. I might have to go back and watch it again from the start. It was very hard to follow at the pace set out, and reading subs really detracts from the viewing.

I started both Freezing and Samurai Flamenco, as they were both added on Netflix recently. They are not what I would typically go for, SF has not left me wanting more but I will continue based on the opening credit scenes. Freezing has my significant other wondering about just what the heck I am watching... same result as Sekirei.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was awesome. I really liked it and it captured not only my imagination but also held me with minimalist anime romance and an emphasis on escalating the abilities of the characters. The nature of the good and evil struggle isn't an original dynamic, especially after watching Heroic Age, but I still found it was preferable to mono-enemy series.

<snip>

I started both Freezing and Samurai Flamenco, as they were both added on Netflix recently. They are not what I would typically go for, SF has not left me wanting more but I will continue based on the opening credit scenes. Freezing has my significant other wondering about just what the heck I am watching... same result as Sekirei.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was awesome. I really liked it and it captured not only my imagination but also held me with minimalist anime romance and an emphasis on escalating the abilities of the characters. The nature of the good and evil struggle isn't an original dynamic, especially after watching Heroic Age, but I still found it was preferable to mono-enemy series.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a fun story. I kind of, sort of wish that it was less of a Harem fantasy and that they had developed a few male personalities for some of the boats. It's a small nitpick, though, and the only criticism that sticks in my mind.

I just finished episode 19 of my own Samurai Flamenco marathon last night. I was wondering when they would finally address the loose ends between the main characters (the ones that didn't involve ridiculous, albeit at times hilarious escalation). If you can hold out, It will be interesting to read what you think. For me, this show keeps redefining itself right up to the very end.

Edited by technoblue

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a fun story. I kind of, sort of wish that it was less of a Harem fantasy and that they had developed a few male personalities for some of the boats. It's a small nitpick, though, and the only criticism that sticks in my mind.

At least they had a REASON for all the boats to be female. And to be honest, I still smile when I think about that scene.

I just finished episode 19 of my own Samurai Flamenco marathon last night. I was wondering when they would finally address the loose ends between the main characters (the ones that didn't involve ridiculous, albeit at times hilarious escalation). If you can hold out, It will be interesting to read what you think. For me, this show keeps redefining itself right up to the very end.

Man, is EVERYONE watching that show right now? I may have to move it to next on my list of "things I keep meaning to do".

My wife and I just finished watching the first season of Attack on Titan tonight. Good show, quite gritty. Looking forward to second season.

Tomorrow we'll probably start GiTS: Arise.

I recently finished Heroic Age, and I really liked it. I found it was something I looked forward to watching, as opposed to something I finished just so I didn't miss anything cool.

I am still avoiding Kiss Dum Planet Engage, I watched the second episode but the spastic story line didn't come together quite enough for me yet. I might have to go back and watch it again from the start. It was very hard to follow at the pace set out, and reading subs really detracts from the viewing.

Heroic Age is one of those shows that didn't get great reviews or high scores anywhere for some reason. I really enjoyed it. I suppose the big 'space opera' fans that almost all we Macross fans are means we see more appeal in it than others.

Is anyone else here watching Parasyte? If not, I really recommend it. I read the manga some years ago and Madhouse is doing a stellar job adapting it (ok minus the dubstep music they use sometimes). Few shows out there this season do as good a job treating the relevant characters as genuine human beings. They absorb, process, react, and develop to/from whatever transpires around them. Real good stuff.

I'm also watching Rage of Bahamut which is a really enjoyable old school fantasy. I don't know who licensed it in the States though.

Heroic Age is one of those shows that didn't get great reviews or high scores anywhere for some reason. I really enjoyed it. I suppose the big 'space opera' fans that almost all we Macross fans are means we see more appeal in it than others.

Agreed. I watched it on Netflix and then bought the dvd set. It didn't hurt the dvds were affordable on ebay.

Attack on Titan. The series made me a anime fan again.

Heck yeah. It kept me guessing on what would happen next. Very suspenseful and always leaves you with a cliffhanger. Wish the 2nd season was available. Watching Knights of Sidonia and it reminds me a little of AOT in that regard. Only complaint is the damn cel-shaded character animation.

Is anyone else here watching Parasyte? If not, I really recommend it. I read the manga some years ago and Madhouse is doing a stellar job adapting it (ok minus the dubstep music they use sometimes). Few shows out there this season do as good a job treating the relevant characters as genuine human beings. They absorb, process, react, and develop to/from whatever transpires around them. Real good stuff.

I'm watching Parasyte without having read the manga. It's intense, and the latest episode was a solid punch in the gut. All the slicing and dicing reminds me of Elfen Lied, which I've never been able to finish to this day. I guess I have a fear of sharp objects.

I do appreciate one thing about Parasyte, though:

How certain characters have the ability to sense the aliens.

I may continue to watch the show just to see how that develops, but I've also decided that I need to cut back on the gore in my anime rotation. It just depresses me when there's so much of it. I'm not one to laugh at that stuff.

I would say two animes that I did not expect anything but ended up liking are Parasyte and World Trigger.

Random Rant: Cross Ange can be a good mecha show if not for the fact that they are forcing nudity and fanservice.

I am at the last episode of Cowboy Bebop and I can clearly understand why it is one of the Greatest of All Time.

Now the question remains. Which one should I watch next

Attack on Titan
Code Geass
Gundam ZZ and Unicorn ?

If you can wait for the next season or you want to follow the manga (which produces 5 questions everytime they answer 1 or 2, of course I may be exagerrating) after finishing the episode, Attack on the Titan gets my vote.

If not, I vote fore Code Geass followed by Unicorn.

Edited by chyll2