What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Caught a few eps of K. Honestly, I just can't get into it. It wasn't bad, but nothing really held my interest...except for that cat girl, maybe. She should get her own show.

The police force or whatever with their sabers just felt ridiculous, although I've seen worse in other anime.

It was heavily promoted on Animax, but IMO it didn't really live up to the hype. And the air times sucked (11pm on Thursdays).

There's always Madlax or oldschool Golgo 13.

enjoyed Golgo 13 and thought it was a classic for what it was. though he's not as easy on the eyes as some of the other animes i've mentioned ;)

watched Madlax a long time ago. i liked it but never fully grasped the latter part of the plot. also didn't understand why some people thought it was superior to Noir which i thought was far more consistent and coherent. on my 4th rewatch of Noir now, but have not rewatched Madlax, might give that a shot next.

guess i was hoping there were more recent assassin anime i might have missed.

as for K, i thought it had potential. it gets interesting midway, but then they rush to an ending, leaving a lot of potential concepts unexplored.

it felt as if it was just a pilot season to test the waters. like they didn't have the money for a full season and so just splurged on the visuals instead.

i would like to see more of female officer they call the Ice Queen.

Edited by Major Focker

Caught a few eps of K. Honestly, I just can't get into it. It wasn't bad, but nothing really held my interest...except for that cat girl, maybe. She should get her own show.

The police force or whatever with their sabers just felt ridiculous, although I've seen worse in other anime.

It was heavily promoted on Animax, but IMO it didn't really live up to the hype. And the air times sucked (11pm on Thursdays).

K was essentially a shotgun approach to finding an audience (lots of diverse elements, but not catering to any specific one) and it didn't work very well.

found the perfect antidote for my Requiem for the Phantom hang up: re-watched the last episode (25) of Steins;Gate.

now all is right again with the world. what a perfect way to end a great series.

sadly, proper closure seems to be a dying art in anime these days. they say the best stories are those that are left open to interpretation. while i tend to agree, i've seen very few examples of a shock ending, final twist, or ambiguous ending done right.

which series/OVAs did you think had either strong fitting endings (not necessarily happy, eg. Gurren Lagann) or were legitimately ambiguous?

which series/OVAs were lazily left unresolved, or WTF from out of nowhere, or just trolling?

Edited by Major Focker

Oshii's first GITS movie had a great ending. In any case, the whole story was taken directly from the manga, which remains one of my favorites to date. While not really ambiguous, it opens up questions of what she'll do next as a newborn entity, and now that she's no longer a part of Sector 9.

GITS SAC 2nd Gig also had a really satisfying ending. Sad to see the Tachikomas go, but that was remedied with their (sort of) resurrection as Max and Musashi.

Unresolved endings? Blood C. It was more of a 12-episode teaser than a proper series, so my judgment might seem unfair.

I don't watch a lot of anime these days, and these are the only ones I recall from recent memory.

-The ultimate satisfying yet troll ending absolutely has to go to Escaflowne, F^CKING WING GODDESS!!

-The most satisfying open ending? GUNBUSTER. All we need to know is that Noriko & Kazumi made it back ,and still had a home to welcome them. I'm tearing up just remembering it...manly tears that is...

-The absolute worst complete & total not make me give a sh!t ending, not to mention disavow any knowledge of the shows existence? Big O II.

-The best surprise twist ending? Giant Robo (OVA). So much win was had there, so many misguided intentions, complete misunderstandings, epic battles, and the tragic, not to mention completely unncessessary, loss of Gin Rei.

-The best epic tale of man who can only succeed through failure ending? That's gonna have to be a tie between School Rumble & Gurren Lagann. And really, who doesn't feel for Simone & Harima in equal measure....And before you say it, there was no other option for Harima either, he had to stick with his love to the absolute end, even if there was a perfectly reasonable (and really, better) alternative, but that wouldn't have been true to who he was. As for Simone, just like Gunbuster, so many manly tears.

-Best long drawn out battle "did it better than DBZ long before DBZ" ending? Yamato 2.

-Best go out like a total frakking badass ending? Cowbo-psyche! Orguss. Kei Katsuragi easily trumps Spike by going back in time and both killing his badass self, as well as being killed by his badass self. BADASS!

But yeah, no ending left me so empty and angry than Big O II. The whole freakin' sequal was an uneccessary wash. I'd much rather stick with the "It's Showtime" ending of the first series.Honorable mention goes to Megazone 23 Part 3 for completey ruining Part 2's ending. But even that is more stomachable than BO2.

-The ultimate satisfying yet troll ending absolutely has to go to Escaflowne, F^CKING WING GODDESS!!

-The most satisfying open ending? GUNBUSTER. All we need to know is that Noriko & Kazumi made it back ,and still had a home to welcome them. I'm tearing up just remembering it...manly tears that is...

-The absolute worst complete & total not make me give a sh!t ending, not to mention disavow any knowledge of the shows existence? Big O II.

-The best surprise twist ending? Giant Robo (OVA). So much win was had there, so many misguided intentions, complete misunderstandings, epic battles, and the tragic, not to mention completely unncessessary, loss of Gin Rei.

-The best epic tale of man who can only succeed through failure ending? That's gonna have to be a tie between School Rumble & Gurren Lagann. And really, who doesn't feel for Simone & Harima in equal measure....And before you say it, there was no other option for Harima either, he had to stick with his love to the absolute end, even if there was a perfectly reasonable (and really, better) alternative, but that wouldn't have been true to who he was. As for Simone, just like Gunbuster, so many manly tears.

-Best long drawn out battle "did it better than DBZ long before DBZ" ending? Yamato 2.

-Best go out like a total frakking badass ending? Cowbo-psyche! Orguss. Kei Katsuragi easily trumps Spike by going back in time and both killing his badass self, as well as being killed by his badass self. BADASS!

But yeah, no ending left me so empty and angry than Big O II. The whole freakin' sequal was an uneccessary wash. I'd much rather stick with the "It's Showtime" ending of the first series.Honorable mention goes to Megazone 23 Part 3 for completey ruining Part 2's ending. But even that is more stomachable than BO2.

Surprisingly, I endorse this.

I just finished Nadia and wow was this series dumb. First half of the series had very little going with a ton of bad jokes. It wasn't until around ep 18 where the giant ammonite showed up under Antarctica and some actual backstory was being revealed after that where it FINALLY took off. The island episodes? With the exception eps 8 and 16 (the latter of which is mostly because of the dithictis) they were EASILY better than anything the first 17 episodes presented. The Africa arc wasn't bad either not counting the horrendous musical numbers of ep 34. Ep 35 was not that great, but the last for episodes? Barely redeemed the rest of the series, THIS is what I was expecting from this anime. I didn't mind the obvious bounce animations in ep 38 and it was nice to have all the explanations and whatnot revealed (plus I do see a little inspiration for Evangelion in this despite how hard it is to believe this series could come from Gainax of all people), but that epilogue.... Samson marrying Marry when she turned sixteen. That.... WHAT!? Well, that was random! Kind of gross too! At least the opening and ending themes were very well done.

I'd see the movie but nope! No seeders, meaning it can't be downloaded and therefore I porbably won't see it for an extremely long time.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Japanese PBS funded that? That would explain a little.

I forgot to mention Saturday that I took on three anime: The Adventures of Kotetsu, VOTOMS: Pailsen Files (movie version), and Macross Frontier Nyankuri which I can sum up my reactions as bleh, win, and ugh. Today I marathoned through This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. Wow Gainax, way to disappoint and HARD. Bad music, cast, pacing, focus, comedy, and pretty much everything not pertaining to the ending or the Extended Definitions. Easily one of the worst anime I have seen in a long time; while not as bad as trash like Nanoha, it is still pretty pathetic.

I don't think I need to say I am going through SD Gundam Force since I made a topic for it.

While this is a much loved classic by many, remember that this was shown and funded by the Japanese public broadcasting station. That somewhat precludes it from being badass and controversial.

Even better, the original concept for the show was from Miyazaki.

Jyu Oh Sei was good until the last episode. It was less than satisfying of an ending. It looks like the writers changed their mind at the last minute and decided to end it with a shocking but weak outcome.

Jyu Oh Sei was good until the last episode. It was less than satisfying of an ending. It looks like the writers changed their mind at the last minute and decided to end it with a shocking but weak outcome.

True, and the fact that I don't even remember much about the ending is probably proof enough.

Tiz's death was kind of pointless, TBH.

I just finished Nadia and wow was this series dumb. First half of the series had very little going with a ton of bad jokes. It wasn't until around ep 18 where the giant ammonite showed up under Antarctica and some actual backstory was being revealed after that where it FINALLY took off. The island episodes? With the exception eps 8 and 16 (the latter of which is mostly because of the dithictis) they were EASILY better than anything the first 17 episodes presented. The Africa arc wasn't bad either not counting the horrendous musical numbers of ep 34. Ep 35 was not that great, but the last for episodes? Barely redeemed the rest of the series, THIS is what I was expecting from this anime. I didn't mind the obvious bounce animations in ep 38 and it was nice to have all the explanations and whatnot revealed (plus I do see a little inspiration for Evangelion in this despite how hard it is to believe this series could come from Gainax of all people), but that epilogue.... Samson marrying Marry when she turned sixteen. That.... WHAT!? Well, that was random! Kind of gross too! At least the opening and ending themes were very well done.

I'd see the movie but nope! No seeders, meaning it can't be downloaded and therefore I porbably won't see it for an extremely long time.

You're not missing out on anything by not seeing the movie. Nadia is one of my favorite 90s anime, but the movie wasn't. I had the opposite opinion and thought that Nadia was dumb when I first heard about. Once I started watching it, my opinion changed.

Seems too girly.

People say the same about the Nadesico movie and I ended up enjoying it much more than I ever did with the series.

I like the Nadesico movie, too. Hell, when a friend of mine decided to postpone a trip to Japan together, I kept with the original dates because they coincided with the movie.

Unlike the Nadesico movie, the Nadia movie does nothing to continue the story. In fact, all of the character growth from the series is totally absent as some of them wind up behaving much like they did in the beginning of the series.

Outside of Hanson and Sanson and Gargoyle from a villain perspective I didn't care for the characters so that does not bother me.

You sir, absolutely deserve to see the Nadia movie at this point!

Oshii's first GITS movie had a great ending. In any case, the whole story was taken directly from the manga, which remains one of my favorites to date. While not really ambiguous, it opens up questions of what she'll do next as a newborn entity, and now that she's no longer a part of Sector 9.

GITS SAC 2nd Gig also had a really satisfying ending. Sad to see the Tachikomas go, but that was remedied with their (sort of) resurrection as Max and Musashi.

I would not call that a resurrection. More like a rebuild and the Tachikomas actaully had planned on it happening. If you look closely near the end of while they are singing, before the last one arrives it saves a file named "All tachikoma data" or something similar. (known names are Max, Masashi, Loki and Conan IIRC)

Finished Infinite Ryvius, good sci-fi series set in space with unique battles, although as I mentioned previously, keep away if you don't like shows with angsty characters.

There's a couple of Kawamori shows I haven't watched and I'm gonna remedy that now starting with Arjuna.

^Don't, Arjuna sucks meatballs from episode 4 onward.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm gonna try it anyway for the sake of "completeness". If I hate feel free to give me the 'I told you so' treatment.

This evening I watched all of Dangaizer 3, the supposed cult hit from Masami Obari. On one hand it does have a lot of things I don't like such as a stupid cliffhanger ending, too much fan service, a borderline pedo, and pointless talking that takes up more time than it should. On the other hand it looks very pretty from an artistic point of view, the action was very well done, said action was not short, and those mechs, f**k, they were awesome as hell! Dangaizer 3 alone has easily become one of my all time favorite anime mecha now! Masami Obari, despite his love for fan service being overboard, still manages to prove why he's one of the greatest people in anime history. B)) Why couldn't Rayearth be more like this? Oh yeah, Clamp.

Edited by DuelGundam2099