So the the Bugatti Veyron's ten radiators are for show and to mark up the price?

Unless F1 cars have that too, yes.

I am not really laughing at the fact that there is potentially unnecessary cooling going on. I take more issue with the effort of some (usually U.S.) auto makers adding faux vents and ducts so they can make the car look more rear-engine-ish. Some of these vents/ducts are working and to cool something that really doesn't need cooling. Its all for show, and pretty stupid.

This captures my thoughts:

http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=23546090&page=10

Through its history, the vette has not been much different. Many elements of design that do not follow function. The elements of design have a story of function that is a manufactured excuse. Why don't any front engine Ferrari cars have ducts in the rear? Don't they have brakes?

I hate "accent" lights/strips/LEDs in headlights--they just make them look more like "eyes" and give way too many cars a "face". The new vette has a big smile with cartoon eyes. (as does the Viper now). Simple black or chrome headlight housings look better for most cars. Don't "gussy them up"---it looks stupid more often than not.

Wow, that article is amazingly spot on--most of the things it lists are true annoyances. Though it fails to mention that spinning rims are actually dangerous and illegal some places. (At an intersection, if the wind catches them and spins them up, it looks like the car just started moving quickly and so other drivers slam on the brakes--I've seen it happen myself and the visual effect is startling)

I kind of miss spinners, they where funny as all hell. Now the new thing is giant wagon wheels. admittedly they're funny as hell too but I kind of miss the variety of spinners. Maybe they'll start combining the two and we'll start seeing giant wind turbine wheels.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Ferrari called, they want their squeaky, rattling prototype back.

With that being said I'll take one in yellow...

This new Corvette design is very similar to what I came up with a few years ago. The lines of the car in side profile, shape of the headlights and the Supra style "cockpit" like center console.

36721_10150233783115054_5162868_n.jpg

35648_10150227638955054_2365195_n.jpg

28290_10150216437435054_1059097_n.jpg

I never did a detailed drawing of the center console but this new Corvette interior is similar to what I envisioned.

All these were drawn back in 2010.

I had an 80s Vette and I swore I'd never own another car with a digital dashboard. The gauges on the left and right on this one are analog right? I don't understand why they're calling it "Stingray" but it seems to have nothing in common with the late 60s Vette stylistically.

I hate "accent" lights/strips/LEDs in headlights--they just make them look more like "eyes" and give way too many cars a "face". The new vette has a big smile with cartoon eyes. (as does the Viper now). Simple black or chrome headlight housings look better for most cars. Don't "gussy them up"---it looks stupid more often than not.

I like it when cars look like they have big smiling faces. that's part of why I like Porsche's so much. ^_^

I love the discussion in the Autoweek video about the "Stingray" badge... Like "uh oh... This car is soooooo badass, we need to bust out the double-dog-dare sticker." :rolleyes:

Posers nationwide will be rubbing themselves to this.

I kind of miss spinners, they where funny as all hell. Now the new thing is giant wagon wheels. admittedly they're funny as hell too but I kind of miss the variety of spinners. Maybe they'll start combining the two and we'll start seeing giant wind turbine wheels.

Oh, for the love. Of. CHRIST...

83024116.jpg

Worf_facepalm.gif

Am I the only one that wishes that Toyota, Nissan, and Honda would just get rid of the Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura brands and sell their cars under their real company names?

Would you rather have Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini or just Volkswagen?

Would you rather have Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini or just Volkswagen?

Not the same idea, really, since Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini cars are still sold under the same brand names regardless of where they're sold. An Audi A4 is still an Audi A4 whether you buy it in Germany or the US. This is totally unlike Nissan, for example, which sells the Skyline under the Nissan brand in Japan, but sells it as the G37 now soon to be Q50) under the Infiniti brand.

Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini also all started as independent companies that where bought up by each other where as Lexus, infinity and Acura are marques created for the purpose of selling luxury cars in foreign markets that at the time didn't trust the parent companies to produce said luxury cars.

Edited by anime52k8

Nissan may not use the infiniti badge in japan, but they use it everywhere else. Lexus is used globally as well, including in japan and has for sometime. Is it really that different from gm rebadging cars or audi and volkswagen sharing platforms? Bugati was a dead brand before volkswagen bought it just for the name. Differentiating across different retail segments or locations is hardly limited to toyota and nissan.

Edit: i guess i dont see why buying a dying brand and using that name to get into a market segment is okay but building up a new division to get into a market segment is bad.

And audi has spent more time being owned by someone else than being their own company. Why is a dressed up passat okay but a dressed up camry not?

Edited by eugimon

Nissan may not use the infiniti badge in japan, but they use it everywhere else. Lexus is used globally as well, including in japan and has for sometime. Is it really that different from gm rebadging cars or audi and volkswagen sharing platforms? Bugati was a dead brand before volkswagen bought it just for the name. Differentiating across different retail segments or locations is hardly limited to toyota and nissan.

I didn't mind Toyota creating Lexus, Nissan creating Infiniti, or Honda creating Acura. However, I do wish that they (Acura, Lexus, Infinti) start giving their cars proper names instead of code letters and numbers.

I really like the new corvette. It's very stylistically similar to the concept corvette stingray which we saw in transformers, and which I absolutely loved.

But alas, it doesn't seem worth the 50k entry point to me, when I could drop the same for a BMW or audi. But, to each his own I guess...