Am I nuts, or do Russians apparently not attempt to brake when there's an impending collision?

Based on the dozens of videos I've seen on YouTube, Russians don't give a rat's @$$ about traffic safety. Such a shame they have not been properly educated on driving.

And don't get me started on Russian road rage...

Like what many people have posted on the comments section, this truly is GTA. :ph34r: Edited by areaseven

Based on the dozens of videos I've seen on YouTube, Russians don't give a rat's @$$ about traffic safety. Such a shame they have not been properly educated on driving.

And don't get me started on Russian road rage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHtpf9GeQsA

Like what many people have posted on the comments section, this truly is GTA. :ph34r:

In China, people have a total disregard for their own lives and others. Back in 2006 I visited my Dad and driving there scared the crap out of me. People would often run red lights and stop signs. People on scooters will run right into traffic without looking. Often times there would be 3-4 people (including kids) or maybe even more on ONE scooter and it is common to see dead people on the side of the road. My uncle told me that one time he was walking down the street and saw a dead guy with his head split open and a wrecked scooter. He said it looked like someone had smashed some tomatoes on the pavement. Lol. My dad told me that a scooter which had 3 people on it ran into him which caused them to fall over. He had to pay them to not call the police and they are the ones who was wrong. Luckily no one died...

I have to say, that car ramming the other car with a woman and girl in it was not cool. I was scared just watching it. Where are the police when stuff like this happens?

What police? The thing about these Communist countries is that no one has any regard for life. A perfect example is an incident from last year, when a security camera caught two trucks running over a 4-year-old girl. No one bothered to help bring her to the hospital for nearly an hour.

So THIS is what happens in the world when one is not stuck in the garage every night for the past three months, trying to get the Falcon done for a May wedding. What's that big, yellow thing in the sky, cause I'm used to the Mushroom Treatment lately.

REDDSUN1: I've been looking on the ebay.com.au site and found an 8qt. oilpan for the 460intoXB conversion, but do you happen to know if the sump would work (by swinging it around), or would I need to get another one for rear-facing high-capacity pickup? How's your XB coming?

So THIS is what happens in the world when one is not stuck in the garage every night for the past three months, trying to get the Falcon done for a May wedding. What's that big, yellow thing in the sky, cause I'm used to the Mushroom Treatment lately.

REDDSUN1: I've been looking on the ebay.com.au site and found an 8qt. oilpan for the 460intoXB conversion, but do you happen to know if the sump would work (by swinging it around), or would I need to get another one for rear-facing high-capacity pickup? How's your XB coming?

Progress: I might as well be watching glaciers melt. Dreadfully slow, I'm afraid. But no biggie--I've learned to be patient.

Finding a pickup that will work may be the problem. Was the one on evilBay by Canton Racing? They make a lot of specialized pans. I have their high capacity street pan in my car; in hindsight, I wish I'd spent the extra $$ and gotten the 8-qt "road race" pan they offered.

Sure enough, when I checked their site: P/N 15-766, "rear sump oil pan is designed for Ford 429/460 blocks in Cobras." I see they also have Holden listed in their catalog, so they may have experience with other Aussie models? But if they were to give you a "huh" when you tell them what application it's for, you could always advise them: shock towers and crossmember are same as '70-'71 Torino.

Dude, if you don't mind switching to the earlier style spindle, this is a pretty sweet lookin' setup (actually, just looks like Wilwood calipers); from street or track. Should fit under most 15" wheels though, cause it uses the Galaxie/T'bird/Lincoln style 12" rotor.

ST12X125-2PC-4P-ALUM_small.jpgST12X125-2PC-4P-ALUM3_small.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

REDDSUN: Here's a couple of other questions...

How much is the brake setup shown above? Do they make it for a drum conversion on the rear?

Due to time constraints and dwindling budget, can the 8 3/4" Borg Warner single spinner internals be swapped out for posi, and still handle the "mild build" 467, instead of laying down $2200.ooUS for a new 9"? "Mild" probably means sub 450hp. It hasn't been dyno'd.

Are the ends of your front guards/fenders different lengths from side-to-side, where the eyebrow meets the metal on either side of the bonnet? Mines about 5mm/1/4" shorter on the LH side. When the nosecone goes on, it's sitting about the same distance off of the front of the frame, but lines up with the bonnet edge. The gaps of the doors-to-guards-to-quarters is all within the "2 popsicle thickness" tolerance. When one is used to working in design and spotting 2mm differences from 20ft...it's annoying!

8-3/4" rear end? Not sure, myself, as I'm not familiar nor seen much info on those. But these guys seem to think they're interchangable with 9" rears: http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/488379-8-3-4-inch-rear-end.html

more info on Ford 9's here: http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_inch/ford_nine_inch.htm (mentions 8-3/4" about 2/3 down)

IF you could salvage a 9" rear out of a '70 - '71 Torino/Montego, from like a junkyard, that'd be the ticket; the axle housing is the same width, and more importantly the spring perches are in the same location. Rear springs can be ordered for about $250 a pair, if the originals are looking tired/sagging. Use dimension specs for '70 - '77 Maverick for reference so the mfr won't go "huh?" Do NOT use Maverick spring/load rates though--or you'll end up with a sagging rear! *Note: the center pin is approx 7/16" FORWARD on the Falcys. Not critical mind you--but if you've got something like a tow bar on the back slung underneath the gas tank, that 7/16" difference could create housing clearance issues (ask me how I know).

At $1,699.00, that Street or Track conversion kit is nothing to sneeze at. But you're gonna be looking at $1K+ from just about any aftermarket manufacturer, for the front end anyway. lf you swap spindles, you'll also have to remember that you'd have to change outer tie rods; and I'm not certain, but I've read they have slightly different dimensions, may make minor changes to little things like Ackerman angle, etc. OR if you could find some caliper brackets on eBay, you might "upgrade" to XD-XE-XF calipers. They switched over to an aluminum caliper setup by PBR (supposedly same ones used on '84 Corvettes), which would be lighter. The critical part is the brackets, as they adapt them to our spindles. But again, those are just 1-pot calipers. :(

Rear brakes shouldn't be as bad. You can get something from Stainless Steel Brakes, Wilwood, Baer, to name a few. In hindsight I wish I'd gone with Wilwood instead of SSBC; they use an internal drum style parking brake, so you should be able to use your original p'ing brake cables.

XDEF calipers...have to look into them. Going Wilwood or Ford Motorsport, would the mounting brackets from a 71-73 Mustang work for the front, or is it the Torino setup again? I have discs on the front/drums on rear, but they're an OZ-only setup. Any luck with parts by going through National Parts Depot for Stang parts for the conversion? They're about 5mi. from me. I wish there was a master parts interchange list out there...argh! I appreciate the help.

XDEF calipers...have to look into them. Going Wilwood or Ford Motorsport, would the mounting brackets from a 71-73 Mustang work for the front, or is it the Torino setup again? I have discs on the front/drums on rear, but they're an OZ-only setup. Any luck with parts by going through National Parts Depot for Stang parts for the conversion? They're about 5mi. from me. I wish there was a master parts interchange list out there...argh! I appreciate the help.
No prob. Happy to help. For the most part, front suspension for: '71 - '73 Mustang, Cougar; '70 - '71 Torino, Montego; '70 - '77 Maverick, Comet should all be interchangable. To my knowledge, they all used same 1-pot front caliper design. As for spindles: while the Granada/Versailles ver is basically the same as '68 - '73 disc spindles, AFAIK the upper bolt and tie rod hole sizes are different, specific to each. Just have to keep that in mind if you go swapping parts. gonna see if these links still work... http://f1.grp.yahoof...rchange-152.jpg http://f1.grp.yahoof...rchange-153.jpg http://f1.grp.yahoof...rchange-154.jpg should be scanned copies of parts interchange lists, from Mustangs Plus catalog (they also sourced my 5-leaf rear spings)

As for the *ahem* eccentricities in panel gaps: well, as I've come to understand it, some of these cars were built to slightly looser tolerances back then. :rolleyes: But given their robust design for use in the harsher environs of the outback, that's understandable. I love these cars. I think they're built like effing tanks. I just wish they'd used better quality steel, so more of 'em would still be around. Hehe, the stamping for the oval Ford badge in the taillight panel on mine isn't quite dead centered. But hell, I kinda like it. I put the badge on off center on purpose; I think it gives it character. B))

Edited by reddsun1

OK. Here's the new dilemna...the frelling bonnet will not close at the back!!! No matter how I adjust it, when I close it, the rear corners stick up, and I have to push each side back down. Some of the Aussie guys have the same issue. Are there alternative hinge assemblies, or a trick I'm not figuring out???

OK. Here's the new dilemna...the frelling bonnet will not close at the back!!! No matter how I adjust it, when I close it, the rear corners stick up, and I have to push each side back down. Some of the Aussie guys have the same issue. Are there alternative hinge assemblies, or a trick I'm not figuring out???

Mine does too, but it's not bad, only about 1/4", so I don't mind nudging it back down a bit when I close 'er up. May just be a case of needing new bonnet hinge pins? Can pick some up for about $35-$40 US, I think. I'm fairly certain the bonnet hinges are the same as those found on US '66-'67 Fairlane, Ranchero and Merc Comets though...

DSC04197.jpg

Dude, I'm stoked; anxious to see how your build turns out. B))

Edited by reddsun1

"Dude, I'm stoked; anxious to see how your build turns out." Yeah...me too. Haha.

I'll pop up a couple of pics after this weekend. The "Neanderthal monobrow" across the top of the headlights is being a pain. The curvature of the bonnet in the middle bulges up, making the dive off the leading edge of the bonnet steeper than on the outsides...which means I had to drop the front angle piece to an inch instead of 2" (which looked meaner) to accommodate the blended curvature. The stripe will continue onto the nosecone instead of wrapping around the bonnet leading edge. Striping and blackouts...sheesh...can't decide. The car is sitting with two different schemes, divided right down the centerline. Half is the Max BoB with a connecting rally stripe over the greenhouse, and the other half is a modified JGS front with a max BoB rear that goes up onto the boot. The only thing about the JGS style is that the all of the bonnet is matte black. I have a large "Breaker Squad" decal that I could put on at an angle like the ATCC racers, but we'll see. I'm open to suggestions as well. Pics will explain/show you my designer's pain better.

PS: Me thinks BATHURST is on this weekend at Mt Panorama ("Paneramer") on Speed. Hopefully DW won't host/commentate this time. He ruined it last year...ignorant wanka.

Until I'd learned more about the cars' racing history down under, this paint scheme didn't make much sense to me...

white-coupe-mad-max-front.jpg

Still--that nose, on that car, just looks plain out of place in those colors. Call me a stickler, but somehow the "MFP" BoB is the only color scheme that feels "right."

However; if I were to build my "XB LM" someday, the basis for what I have envisioned would start out looking very similar to this one...

"MOFF! MOFF!" As my mates little bub says when she sees a Moffat painted car.

As promised, here's a collage of the current work. I'm trying to get the left side completed to mirror the dimensions on the right side of the nosecone. The brow is still giving me trouble, but it's close. The exhaust megaphone is mocked up, and will be in steel soon. Flowmaster Super 44's or Flowmaster 50's...hmm. Still playing with the striping and blackouts.

gallery_14954_549_304429.jpg

Sa-weet! Be prepared for a lot of "Mustang" guesses from onlookers. Different, but still looks mean as he*l. Will the roof spoiler be riveted or reinforced? IIRC, some owners have discovered long-term fiberglass cracking issues. Makes sense; I suppose once you get up to speed that will be a spot that gets a fair bit of high pressure buildup, and get a lot of flexing from trying to "push" the spoiler over.

"Different." Is that good or bad? I really don't want this thing to look cheesy like some of the modded cars on, say, Jalopnik.

The spoiler(s) will be metal, welded to the body/boot. As of right now, only the boot spoiler is going on. The roof spoiler screams Mad Max, but with the bigger boot spoiler, it doesn't need the roof one. Plus, looking at more of the ATCC racers, I kinda like the cleanness of the greenhouse. There's enough going on elsewhere on the car. Even the flutes are going away.

Which paint scheme do you like? Rally stripe BoB or modded JGS (you can see the stripes in the rear 3/4 shot (minus the fiancees' kitty paw print))? I'm open to anyone's suggestion. I'm not sold on the entire bonnet and top of the guards being flat black.

I'm a car guy, but I admit to not knowing anything about these Aussie musclecars.

I will say that it looks hot. Very hot.

I will offer this observation: when the body/panels have been significantly modded, it looks like overkill to get too creative with the paint/accents. The car has a great shape and lots of interesting details to attract the eye, don't mess it up with excessive striping or contrasts.

The subtle yellow you have on some parts now looks quite good. I'm not really sold on the flat finish, but I know it's popular.

That's just my opinion of course.

Ignoring all that as the words of the ignorant, I'll just leave it as, "nice car man!"

I imagine it's going to draw some flak, because of the departure from the "canon" Pursuit Special mods. But the quality of workmanship and amount of time and effort going into the build are so clearly evident, it should get a thumbs up from even the most die hard aficionados. The blending you've done on the front end is effing grade-A stuff. I wish I could even think about doing something that kicka$$.

Ooh--I saw a diecast Falcy with a really cool paint scheme: this one as a Cobra; but in satin, with "ghost" gloss stripes and rocker highlights. Very cool. Similar, but still different.

Cobra-Snakebite-XC-011-e1339383670276.jpg

Cobra-Snakebite-XC-016.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Thanks for the support...just want to make sure it's not going off in left field.

The stripes are just tape right now on primer (but we kinda like the green striping). It'll be Caterpillar semi-gloss and Cast Iron flat black overall.

REDDSUN1: I saw the posting on the AFFC board. I haven't logged onto the site in a while, so I'll probably need another invite and Yahoo ID, unless TomN or Scar has mod access. I REFUSE to go back to the MMM.com forum!!! That's why it's a "MFP BREAKER SQUAD INTERCEPTOR" based on the books description with movie "canon" attributes to link it in, and not Max's. Too many "wankas" throwing their junk around on the MMM site...I'm not a "true fan" as Suckpuppet and LastV8 believe, so I just wandered out into the Wasteland.

PS: Doug is mis-informed about the seats. They're modded JC49 frames w/ LC23 Challenger SRT8 foam w/ B299 Focus headrests w/ leather and prototype cloth inserts that had 17lb's removed from each...the XB frames are junk and unsafe in comparison. :p