True Story from my morning commute today: I suddenly noticed a cop tailing me, his lights weren't blinking, but he was very aggressive, and stayed glued to my bumper for almost 2 miles. At this point I think he's just fracking with my head, then all of a sudden he makes a really sharp right turn into a plaza... guess why?

LOL! Good one.

Here's a closer look at the Hennessey Venom:

That front fascia does look pretty snake-like...

Yet another British automotive icon has fallen. Just today, Russian tycoon Nikolay Smolensky has given up on the TVR brand he has owned since 2004. Instead, he will retool the factory to manufacture wind turbines.

In memory of the brand, here's a clip from Swordfish, featuring the Tuscan Speed 6.

R.I.P. TVR (1947-2012)

TVR Is Officially No More

TVR Boss Gives Up on Building Cars; Focuses on Wind Turbines

:o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNsOiFG351o

Fancy driving? My A$$. Dumb luck, plain and simple.

They were pulling off to the side at the end to change their shorts, to be sure...

ed: the abrupt lane change maneuver, in combination with the high CoG and small contact patches on that econobox led to the spin. the rest was completely out of dumba$$'s hands--they were just along for the ride.

Edited by reddsun1

82656606.jpg

ed: I suppose this is slightly irrelevant. there will always be cars made with manual windows, somewhere. It's only in America that we're on the verge of becoming so lazy and stupid that this could become an unknown... <_<

Edited by reddsun1

The only "power" options in my XB Falcon, are power steering, and the 12-volt cigarette lighter port. Everything else, like the window winders, locks, and seats are manual. The A/C, interior lights, and radio are non-existent. The security system is a Grant, removable steering wheel kit, and a 40amp battery cut-off switch in the interior. There's more wiring in the tail lights, than under the bonnet and instrument panel. GPS is in my head.

I've got a 1986 supra but it's still got power everything: windows, door locks, driver seat adjustments, etc. I've also got climate control AC, an aftermarket stereo with iPod dock and I take a Magellan GPS with me everywhere I go. I'm not an animal living in a third world country, I have standards. B))

The only "power" options in my XB Falcon, are power steering, and the 12-volt cigarette lighter port. Everything else, like the window winders, locks, and seats are manual. The A/C, interior lights, and radio are non-existent. The security system is a Grant, removable steering wheel kit, and a 40amp battery cut-off switch in the interior. There's more wiring in the tail lights, than under the bonnet and instrument panel. GPS is in my head.

This.

I've noticed that cars that only have power windows have one style of regulator mechanism (made mainly of cables and brackets), while those that offer power or manual have a totally different (and much more durable, superior) mechanism that is geared.

I believe the trend towards power windows is at least partly because it's cheaper to only offer one type of mechanism for all cars---the cheap cable-driven design.

Same reason so many cars now only have a single type of signal/marker/brake bulb from the factory--dual-filament, even in locations that don't need them. It's actually cheaper and easier for them to just use massive quantities of a single type of bulb everywhere rather than stocking and installing multiple kinds of "the right" bulb.

Same reason so many cars now only have a single type of signal/marker/brake bulb from the factory--dual-filament, even in locations that don't need them. It's actually cheaper and easier for them to just use massive quantities of a single type of bulb everywhere rather than stocking and installing multiple kinds of "the right" bulb.

Soon, it will be all LED lighting with fancy/crazy designs to make the cars stand out.

I'm actually heading in the other direction with my Charger. I'm currently having it rewired with a modern, blade type fuse system with 21 available circuits. At the moment I'm installing an electric fuel pump, electric fans (eliminating the engine fan), with plans to install power windows, locks and maybe even an alarm. I guess after owning it for almost 20 years I'm just bored and want to see if I can modernize it a little...

Yes, although....the shop that's doing the installation says it's anything but painless, ha ha. And I figure since I've gone back into debt with style I'm having an internally regulated alternator installed as well...

The 18 circuit Painless set is what I'm using as well. I'll need a couple of the extra circuits for the Aussie police siren and the blue, instrument panel rotating light. being a MFP interceptor. The fan is a dual, electric setup, out of a '95 Ford Windstar minivan. Those, and the Chevy Lumina have the highest flow, and are easily found. The radio space is filled with six "aircraft" rocker switches for the MACK headlights, 3-speed wipers (off, low, high), siren/light and a couple of others. Other than that, it's one step above Henry's Model T in complexity...after all, I don't need to be fussing with the radio after the "poxyclypse", when the Marauder's are on me arse...wait... I live in Detroit...it's already here. "And he wandered out into this blighted place..." ;)

Edited by Wasabi-san

The 18 circuit Painless set is what I'm using as well. I'll need a couple of the extra circuits for the Aussie police siren and the blue, instrument panel rotating light. being a MFP interceptor. The fan is a dual, electric setup, out of a '95 Ford Windstar minivan. Those, and the Chevy Lumina have the highest flow, and are easily found. The radio space is filled with six "aircraft" rocker switches for the MACK headlights, 3-speed wipers (off, low, high), siren/light and a couple of others. Other than that, it's one step above Henry's Model T in complexity...after all, I don't need to be fussing with the radio after the "poxyclypse", when the Marauder's are on me arse...wait... I live in Detroit...it's already here. "And he wandered out into this blighted place..." ;)

Lol @ Detroit. What you said about the Windstar and Lumina fans interests me though: how did you come to realize that those fans are capable of high flow? Would you happen to know the CFM rating? I ask because I'd like to go with electric fans in my Charger and eliminate the engine fan but the cost of a new fan set up is...prohibitive at this time...

I know of at least one fellow Coupe owner who tried going the Painless route, only to give up in frustration and seek out a [then] avail repro harness. I must admit, I kinda admire the original style harness, for its simplicity.

Plus, I can say I can appreciate Lucas/English sports car humour a little better...

fusereplacement.jpg

Mine has the 39 year old Bosch -relay HEAVY- system with the connectors giving out, mouse-aided, so time to switch it all out anyway. So instead of Painless, is there another harness out there? I talked to Zed, and Ford GT Performance in Melbourne doesn't carry them.

A couple of stateside XABC Falcon owners put custom rads in their cars and found the fan shroud size about right for the opening, and the Ford and Chevy fans worked really well for the 302C, 351C, and the 429/460 engines. One of the guys opened the casing and flipped the fans around and wired it backwards as a pusher fan, given the extra space when adding a Concorde nosecone. It didn't work quite as well as pulling it through though. Sorry, I don't have the specs on it.

You could always try your luck on evilBay, but prices for complete looms were getting pretty insane, IF you can find one. I did see a seller that appears to offer Painless-esque aftermarket wiring harnesses specifically for Oz models.

http://bluewiremotor...e-harnesses-kit

ed: oh, Wasabi-san have you got the Bosch starter too? Hah! Good f'ing luck finding parts or a shop that can repair that, if your solenoid goes bad. Been there, done that. Finally said chuck u farley, and converted to a Mustang starter. Meant more Frankensteining of the harness, but it was worth it in the long run. Parts guys were completely f'ing stumped by that starter; closest match they could come up with out of all their master catalogs was something off of a da*ned forklift...

Edited by reddsun1

Mine has the 39 year old Bosch -relay HEAVY- system with the connectors giving out, mouse-aided, so time to switch it all out anyway. So instead of Painless, is there another harness out there? I talked to Zed, and Ford GT Performance in Melbourne doesn't carry them.

A couple of stateside XABC Falcon owners put custom rads in their cars and found the fan shroud size about right for the opening, and the Ford and Chevy fans worked really well for the 302C, 351C, and the 429/460 engines. One of the guys opened the casing and flipped the fans around and wired it backwards as a pusher fan, given the extra space when adding a Concorde nosecone. It didn't work quite as well as pulling it through though. Sorry, I don't have the specs on it.

Nah of course-puller fans FTW. I might look into that, as those fans are very easy to come across. As for other wiring harnesses, I guess you could look at EZ wiring's products. Or, like 'Red says, 'repro stuff...

Bosch starter...yes, on the 250 I-6 that's coming out of it. The bendix is slipping in it anyway. The 460 has a simple, US-made one, so parts will be easier to find. However, do you know what year Lincoln car I'd have use the parts from, to switch the oilpan, sump and timing cover, to convert it from the truck's rear setup to a front setup, so it clears the crossmember? I know a High Energy pan will work, but can't find the sump for it.

As far as the rad, I'm putting it in front of the crossmember, but the fans behind it...the big block takes up more room (duh), and the March pulley system sticks out a bit as well. One of the switches on the radio delete panel will be an override to flip the fans on in traffic. Doug's started overheating during the 90+ degree Woodward Dream Cruise a couple of years ago...not fun. He added a switch and no worries.

Best candidate will probably be 67-68 Continental?

ed: the front brake calipers would also be good for cannibalizing too, if you can get 'em? Continentals used the 4-pot Kelsey Hayes calipers w/larger "D1" pads; same as used on the Boss T/A cars. Only problem is: you'd probably have to custom fab a mounting bracket, as nobody seems to make one to adapt those calipers to our front spindles (Granada/disk style). Pretty annoying that they only make them for the early drum spindles, as the ones on the Coupes are beefier, and said to be much stronger than the drum spindles...

oh wait--these guys apparently offer a kit for disc spindles; and aluminum K-H style calipers: http://www.abspowerbrake.com/pages/FINAL122.htm

there's something for the wish list...

I've already parused some boards down under looking for someone that supplies set ups like those used on the Aussie Tourers. The prices they quoted me just for a pair of caliper brackets was laughable.

Edited by reddsun1

Doug McQ said that all of the front suspension, outside of the center link and pitman arm (LHD vs RHD) was out of the 71-73 Mustangs. With that being said, can I get the Ford Motorsport or Wilwood bolt-on set of disc brakes? I'm running the typical 15" US wagon wheel/Apache/Nomad (Sunraysia-ish) 8-spoke wheels, so my clearance isn't going to be much bigger than stock...maybe 13's on the front and 11" on the typical 9" rear axle, at the most? Sound about right? I haven't looked too much into it yet.

"You ALWAYS have to have more WHOA than Go." - Unknown.

Rotor clearance will be a potential issue with the Sunrasia-style wheels. Think the largest you may be able to get away with would be 12"? Most all the aftermarket stuff I've seen for the Granada/disk spindles is aimed at the restomod crowd, requires up-sized wheels 16" or larger.

I'd say the Falcons have more Torino DNA than Mustang. While '71-'73 Mustang stuff will work, I think Torino is slightly better suited, as they have about 1" more shock travel (rears are same though). I put some Mustang KYB shocks on the 'Roo, and noticed the inside tire tends to lift slightly more under hard cornering than the Oz Monroes that came on the car; I suspect due to the reduced rebound travel. Some aftermarket shock info here: http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/applications.html#VariShockBoltIns with shock dimensions listed about 1/2 way down page.

Red Devil is supercharged? I didn't know that.

It's guys like Stielow who serve as inspiration (in part) for where I want to go with my build. His cars have all seemed to adhere to a form-follows-function philosophy. I like that.

For me, the Red Devil wins hands down, from a coolness and style factor. I'd actually want mufflers to make it a little less harsh on the ears though; make it sound a little more like the new ZL-1. You've got to be able to endure and enjoy your seat time. A car that's too loud through the window and too harsh through the seat will just wear on you if you spend any significant time in it, make your damn head hurt when you get out of it. Driving a car should only get "physical" when appropriate--when you're wringing the most out of it, at 6 or 7/10ths or more. It shouldn't beat the sh*t out of you every time you drive it.

BUT - from a cost effectiveness factor, the ZL-1 just can't be beat. You get all those horses and chest thumping machismo for a fraction of the price--and it comes with a factory warranty. IIRC, I read an article on the Red Devil that estimated it would cost about $200K to build a car to Stielow's specs.

Edited by reddsun1

Hehe, reminds me of one that used to prowl the rural roads around where I live. Not sure if it's still roadworthy now; but every so often would see a late-70's era Mercedes 300? that had been given what can only be described as the Duke Boys' treatment. It had the full kit; "moonshiner's" stance, with rear lift and oversized mag wheels; and the unmistakable burble of an American V8, probably a small block Chev. Definitely southern-fried transportation.