Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Nice to hear about  your new place, and the Holden. It looks fantastic! I had to perform some maintenance on the Subaru, as the miles pile up. i still love it, and I hope it lasts a log time. 

Thanks for the compliments about my illustration, I appreciate it!

For what it's worth, my 03 WRX just hit 220k miles, and still going outside of minor repairs. Not bad considering how harsh the winters get here in PA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spanner said:

Yes it does look pretty dreamy eh! Shame they'll be so expensive when they hit Aussie shores..

 

20190720_154803.jpg

I am going to miss the front engine layout. The last 2 generations looked great to me but I think they did a really good job on the 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, rotorhead said:

For what it's worth, my 03 WRX just hit 220k miles, and still going outside of minor repairs. Not bad considering how harsh the winters get here in PA.

Very nice! Looks like you got a Bug-eye there, very cool!I love that fascia too! Mine is ay 158k, and i hope it lasts as long as it can. It has been a good car, and I've had so much fun with it.

@ErikElvis I do liek the new Vette, and i think it looks sort of New NSX/ Ferrarish, but it is really nice. I thought GM would stick to their gun and keep it FR layout, but i was wrong. It seems Corvette always wanted to do a MR layout from way back then. I guess i am selfish and i like a huge engine bay you can comfortably work on. I still personally prefer to engine at the front, if i am going to own it, IMHO.

Edited by vlenhoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some nice mileages there! My ‘05 Sentra SE-R is just 500 miles or so shy of 252k miles! It doesn’t look pretty anymore, but it still runs strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Very nice! Looks like you got a Bug-eye there, very cool!I love that fascia too! Mine is ay 158k, and i hope it lasts as long as it can. It has been a good car, and I've had so much fun with it.

@ErikElvis I do liek the new Vette, and i think it looks sort of New NSX/ Ferrarish, but it is really nice. I thought GM would stick to their gun and keep it FR layout, but i was wrong. It seems Corvette always wanted to do a MR layout from way back then. I guess i am selfish and i like a huge engine bay you can comfortably work on. I still personally prefer to engine at the front, if i am going to own it, IMHO.

I’m hoping I can get my bills in order in the next couple years and with the new vettes out I can pick up a nice 16 grand sport for a decent price.  

 I plan on running my 10 Honda Fit into the ground. Just about to hit 100k. Should be able to get another 5 years easy out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

@ErikElvisVery nice! Looks like you got a Bug-eye there, very cool!I love that fascia too! Mine is ay 158k, and i hope it lasts as long as it can. It has been a good car, and I've had so much fun with it.

Yup! I drove it off the showroom floor 16 years ago, and it gave me the same goofy grin driving to work today as it did way back then.  Do get into the habit of checking your oil level at every fill up, because eventually they'll start to burn some, and low oil levels will kill a boxer in very short order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rotorhead said:

Yup! I drove it off the showroom floor 16 years ago, and it gave me the same goofy grin driving to work today as it did way back then.  Do get into the habit of checking your oil level at every fill up, because eventually they'll start to burn some, and low oil levels will kill a boxer in very short order.

Yup, I've heard the same comment from quite a few people, and it is true.  I check my oil level religiously,  even between fill ups. I even carry a quart with me just in case. I do my own changes now, so I know exactly what's going on at all times. I got tired of the dealership losing my clips and hurting my stock sideskirts on the lift. Like they say. If you want something done perfectly, better do it yourself!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My Mazda 3 is 11 years old (121k miles on it) but all the horror stories I read years back about the BK chassis and rust came true, even with care given over the years. :(

Had the opportunity to check out a Civic Type R in-person the other day. Was iffy on the front-end looks but all modern Honda's look fugly to me. Sitting in the car though was nice and I liked where everything was placed from the shifter to peddle feel. No mechanical handbrake which is something of a minus.

Edited by Shadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw, Shadow, sorry to hear that. I wondered if those rust reports on the 3 were overblown, but apparently not.  My WRX has some rust around the edges, but nothing important has succumbed to it yet.  Having just finished replacing wheel bearings and some bushings, I can definitely say my car lost about 3lbs in the form of rusty flakes.  I'm actually looking forward to the snow though so I can try out my new Nokian Hakka 8s.

The Civic type R is getting solid reviews though! Not a fan of the fake vents myself. If you're shopping for small and fun, you'd be remiss to not try the Toybaru twins and perhaps a Miata if you don't need storage space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear that Shadow. I have heard good things about the type R too. Even Mr conservative, James May likes it a lot. I, much like @rotorhead bought my WRX new back in 2010, and over the years I've had to replace parts that wore off, but i dont live in a very snowy place, so i dont have any rust on mine. I have been looking at Miatas for a while, and it is only a mater of time until i get a good one, used. I plan to keep my WRX until the doors falls off, or the engine explodes. I am looking into doors, and engine replacements though. I wanna drive this thing until I die, and i think there might be enough parts around to fulfill my fantasy. WRX are not perfect, but mine is tuned to me, and i feel a very personal connection to it. 

That new RF miata with 181 BHP is very nice, but i think it is too expensive if you buy it new. I really would like to get any miata, and maybe get into a racing series, but at this point it is all dreams and smoke. I hear Used FRS scions are getting really cheap since scion went under, but it is really the same car as a gt86 or a Subaru BRZ. 

I've also been looking into Manual GT Mustangs, but i am not sure i want to trust Ford that much. I just want something fun and RWD as a second car.

BTW, i have never ever bought an automatic car in my life. As long as i have functioning knees, Manual is all i want.

Edited by vlenhoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in the rustbelt, salt exposure is just per the norm. :unsure: It's unfortunate because the 1st gen Mazda 3 engines are rock solid in my opinion and I've kept mine running pretty well. (Replaced the spark plugs at 80k, Ensured the air filter was always fairly clean. Gave it only Synth oil).

I like the new Miata's and if I was buying a second car, it would be at the top of my list. The WRX was on my radar at one point but the current body is getting long in the tooth.  The current performance market as far as compacts is weird since the Lancer Evo is long gone along with the Focus RS. Now rumors are that the next gen VW GTI is going to be pushing 300hp. Not sure what that means for the Golf R if true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 10:23 AM, Shadow said:

Living in the rustbelt, salt exposure is just per the norm. :unsure: It's unfortunate because the 1st gen Mazda 3 engines are rock solid in my opinion and I've kept mine running pretty well. (Replaced the spark plugs at 80k, Ensured the air filter was always fairly clean. Gave it only Synth oil).

I like the new Miata's and if I was buying a second car, it would be at the top of my list. The WRX was on my radar at one point but the current body is getting long in the tooth.  The current performance market as far as compacts is weird since the Lancer Evo is long gone along with the Focus RS. Now rumors are that the next gen VW GTI is going to be pushing 300hp. Not sure what that means for the Golf R if true.

Yeah i imagine it is difficult to stay away from rust in snowy places. I also use only synthetic, and i keep an eye on all fluids. I don't mind the look of the new ones, as i am Subaruphile, and i like them all. Yes, I like all Subarus for some reason. Yeah there are several offerings outthere. I personally prefer RWD or AWD, since all i had in the past was mostly AWD.

It is getting difficult to find anything i want to drive, since i only drive manual cars. i have never bought an automatic [not that there is anything wrong with that] but as long as I have working knees, I'll keep getting cars with manual trannies. I guess when all manual trannies are gone, i'd just have to buy older manual used cars. I am not a fan of all the lane departure, auto breaking, etc tech they put in cars these days anyway. I like to row my own gears, and I'll do it as long as i can.

Good luck with your car hunting! It can be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to start looking myself next summer for something new to get into to after I get the wife into a new lease in June.   I'm thinking Mark 8 Golf GTI (I'm in a Mark 7 now) ooor...I am kinda liking the 2019 Camaro SS's look. I had a 2001 SS back in the day.  My work buddy just got back from driving a new SS convertible in Hawaii for a month on vacation and he loved it. (lucky sonofabi....):lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Yeah i imagine it is difficult to stay away from rust in snowy places. I also use only synthetic, and i keep an eye on all fluids. I don't mind the look of the new ones, as i am Subaruphile, and i like them all. Yes, I like all Subarus for some reason. Yeah there are several offerings outthere. I personally prefer RWD or AWD, since all i had in the past was mostly AWD.

It is getting difficult to find anything i want to drive, since i only drive manual cars. i have never bought an automatic [not that there is anything wrong with that] but as long as I have working knees, I'll keep getting cars with manual trannies. I guess when all manual trannies are gone, i'd just have to buy older manual used cars. I am not a fan of all the lane departure, auto breaking, etc tech they put in cars these days anyway. I like to row my own gears, and I'll do it as long as i can.

Good luck with your car hunting! It can be fun.

Thanks. I used to think the same that RWD and AWD were a must for performance (my dream car in college was the Evo 9) but traction control plus limited-slip differentials have become so good in recent years that things like torque steer in FF cars is not nearly as much of an issue as it was 10 years ago. I remember the Mazdaspeed 3 was quite infamous for torgue steer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2019 at 11:17 AM, Shadow said:

Thanks. I used to think the same that RWD and AWD were a must for performance (my dream car in college was the Evo 9) but traction control plus limited-slip differentials have become so good in recent years that things like torque steer in FF cars is not nearly as much of an issue as it was 10 years ago. I remember the Mazdaspeed 3 was quite infamous for torgue steer.

Oh absolutely, and don't get me wrong, I am all eyes towards that Civic type R myself. I am not necessarily talking about the "best" performing car when i refer to my AWD/RWD preference. i am mostly talking about the feel of the thing. I know modern hatches and other FWD performance cars exhibit lift-off-oversteer these days. Nice trick differentials cancel out torque steers. They are generally light, fun cars too, and the clever option from a many points of view. I am all in with you.

The thing is, one does not buy a miata, for its power, or its traction. It is about the feel of the thing when you drive it. Even if you go with a powerful car like a Holdem Commodore, or a Pontiac G8 GXP, Mustang GT, Camaro SS or Vette. The feel is very different. The turn in is so clean and crisp. I am after that feel, even if it is not an intelligent decision. I personally, always buy Japanese cars, and to be honest, I've had 12 years or speedy grippy AWD machines. I think the most logical[in the fun department] thing for me is to get a miata. A nice used one. I believe miatas only work as a second car. I used to drive a motorcycle, but i am not doing that ever again. So open top cars seems like the next best thing to that "freedom" feel.

Whichever car you choose, I am glad you are getting what you want. At the end of the day, it is what we want, not what others think we want. So what are your current candidates? GTi VW and the Type R honda? I know you may think the honda is fugly at the front, but man, but I think the car as a whole is attractive. A bit busy with aero, and fake plastic vents, but it is an amazing, well built, bulletproof fun machine. I'd personally go Japanese. I know Golf are good looking, but, for me, Japan wins, every time.

 

Edited by vlenhoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had her three years now and I don't tire of her beauty! I've been struck down this week with the flu and a chest infection but couldn't help taking her out for the short trip to the doctors..

So nice to drive!

20190820_064957.jpg

20190820_064924.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2019 at 5:33 PM, spanner said:

I've had her three years now and I don't tire of her beauty! I've been struck down this week with the flu and a chest infection but couldn't help taking her out for the short trip to the doctors..

So nice to drive!

20190820_064957.jpg

20190820_064924.jpg

My lil' wrx is about to be 10 years old! I think i am passed the point of selling it. I might just keep it at this point. It still does everything I need it to do very willingly. It is tuned to me, so i feel a very personal connection with it. You have a nice beast Spanner. I love the stormtrooper look!

I hope you are feeling better now Spanner.

Edited by vlenhoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at. 2020 onyx edition outback. Has a little 2.4L turbo with 260 hp. Also a blacked out grille and rims. 

EB5B6CA9-4CC4-4A3C-9F3D-2ADA03A08A27.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I have the thought of buying a STI. But do I really want to daily drive a manual. I am getting older and more easily annoyed....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got confirmation that I'll be getting one of 50 2020 GT500 Track Packs (200 total 2020MY cars). Kinda can't wait a little bit!

 

2020-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-1-750x422 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the new mustangs. Looks great.  I went to 2 subie dealers trying to see about ordering a new 2020 outback. Weren’t to keen on helping quite yet. They are not getting their first shipments of them until September 4th. I def want the onyx xt with the 2.4 turbo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spanner said:

 

My buddy just got a GT3RS as a track day car (that bastard!). Man, that thing is incredible at the road course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 7:42 PM, sqidd said:

My buddy just got a GT3RS as a track day car (that bastard!). Man, that thing is incredible at the road course.

I'll bet it is! And yes he's a bastard! LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spanner said:

I'll bet it is! And yes he's a bastard! LOL!

He also has a:

Lamborgini 10 cyl (I don't know the name)

Audi R8

Ferrari 430

Ferrari 458

Ferrari 488

Air cooled Porsche 911 of some sort

Aston Vantage

Aston Vanquish

Aston DB11

Mustang GT350R

2015 Mustang GT with 975rwhp

Some sort of Jag

C7 Corvette Z06

If he didn't actually make all that money himself by working his ass off. I would not like him.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...