Oh dear God, why...

Based on the numbers, I never considered the smart car that smart anyway and this proves my point

The Ford Focus and Fiesta gets the same MPG and twice the size and carry capacity,, that little inefficient 3 cylinder should get 50, not 41 without A/C

Behold: the world's most expensive model car. This replica of the Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 by Robert Gülpen Engineering is made of solid gold, platinum and diamonds. It will be auctioned this month at a starting bid of US$5 million. In addition, the model will secure three entries to the Guinness Book of World Records: most expensive model car in the world, most secure showcase (made of bulletproof glass) and most precious Lamborghini logo ever made.

Now which rapper is gonna make their bid?

2012-Lamborghini-Aventador-LP-700-4-Model-by-Robert-Gulpen-Engineering-Gold-Front-And-Side-Open-Doors-1920x1440.jpg

2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 Model by Robert Gülpen Engineering

Chevrolet revives an old name for their dragster concept. The 2011 COPO Camaro Concept is designed to meet the specifications of NHRA's Stock Eliminator drag racing competition. Under the hood is either a naturally aspirated 7.0 liter V8 or a supercharged 5.3 liter V8. The car also has the option of either a five-speed manual, a three-speed automatic or a Powerglide two-speed automatic transmission. Drag-spec means this model has its independent rear suspension replaced with a solid rear axle. The interior is stripped of the rear seat and sound deadening materials, and fitted with a pair of racing bucket seats, safety harnesses, a roll cage and Auto Meter performance gauges.

No performance numbers or prices have been announced at the moment.

2011-Chevrolet-COPO-Camaro-Concept-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Chevrolet-COPO-Camaro-Concept-Front-And-Side-3-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Chevrolet-COPO-Camaro-Concept-Rear-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Chevrolet-COPO-Camaro-Concept-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Chevrolet-COPO-Camaro-Concept-Interior-1920x1440.jpg

2011 Chevrolet COPO Camaro Concept

Optional Powerglide 2-speed? Wouldn't that be useful only at the dragstrip? ed: never mind. dumb question. But still--that seems like a leap backward, instead of any kind of progression of technology...

they are actually very streetable and was standard equipment automatics from early 50s to the late 60s

Yup, I vaguely remember riding in a '68 Camaro with one as a kid once (was a cool a$$ car), and the "waaaagghhhh-waaaagghhn" as the engine spooled up for that one, hard shift. I just would have thought it would be much less than ideal for keeping a modern engine in the "sweet spot" of the powerband, unless it's got very torquey characteristics.

Irony is: it's the Germans that seem to have really come into an appreciation of real stump-pulling V8s (AMG in particular), i.e. torque figures actually equal/higher than outright HP.

From barn finds dot com...

1967_shelby_gt500_front_corner_0.jpg

"There are few American cars as iconic as the Shelby Mustang. The Ford Mustang was a great car, but after Carroll Shelby got ahold of it, it became a true monster. We are not the only ones who have dreamed of finding one of these in an old barn. Sadly there aren't many Shelby Mustangs left out there, but the seller of this 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500 might be one of the lucky few to ever have that joy. After being in storage for 37 years, this beauty has been pulled from its resting place and is now being sold. This GT500 is located in Woodstock, Illinois and has been listed here on eBay. The seller has set the starting bid at an astronomical $89,995 and a Buy It Now of $95,125."

Ha! haha! hahahahahahaha! I realize this sort of thing is strictly relative (or is it: subjective?). Anyways. While I can see the potential value of a great many vehicles I've seen by the side of the road in my travels. When it comes down to it: people--we need to keep this sh*t in perspective. UNTIL someone actually starts working/restorting/improving on said x,y,z that's only-the-so-and-so-built-in-such-and-such: it is and will remain a rusting heap of sh*t, and doesn't do me, you or anyone else a lick of good so long as it remains a rusting heap of sh*t, blocking someone's yard/driveway/storage bldg. Potential value is nothing at all like real, usable value when it comes to cars.

My own uncle, God love 'im, has a '57 Chevy sedan that's practially rusting into the ground (the 4-doors got and get NO love). I only wish I had the talent, resources and $$$ to take it off his hands and turn it into my own personal family car; with say, some Corvette rallyes, disk brakes, A/C and a 350 crate motor--that would be so F**K YEAH.

Yup, I vaguely remember riding in a '68 Camaro with one as a kid once (was a cool a$$ car), and the "waaaagghhhh-waaaagghhn" as the engine spooled up for that one, hard shift. I just would have thought it would be much less than ideal for keeping a modern engine in the "sweet spot" of the powerband, unless it's got very torquey characteristics.

Irony is: it's the Germans that seem to have really come into an appreciation of real stump-pulling V8s (AMG in particular), i.e. torque figures actually equal/higher than outright HP.

Horsepower and torque always cross at 5252 rpms as they are just formulas and hp is over time IE 1hp = the ability to move 33,000lbs 1 foot in one minute (force over time), where as torque is a static measurement. Usually long strokes and small bores lend to higher torque numbers (just like a fulcrum) Buick has been doing this since inception. I had a 1972 GS with a 1970 High compression 350 big block that made 180hp, but 360 ft lbs of torque,, its big brother the Stage 1 455 produced 360 hp and over 500 ft lbs of torque and was top 5 of the fastest production cars of its time and the dreaded stage 2 "customer installed option" was at the top they were small bore big stroke motors and lasted a long time,, also little known is they were excellent on gas mileage. I got about 18mpg in a non overdrive, non lock out Torque converter car that moved out pretty good

Ha! haha! hahahahahahaha! I realize this sort of thing is strictly relative (or is it: subjective?). Anyways. While I can see the potential value of a great many vehicles I've seen by the side of the road in my travels. When it comes down to it: people--we need to keep this sh*t in perspective. UNTIL someone actually starts working/restorting/improving on said x,y,z that's only-the-so-and-so-built-in-such-and-such: it is and will remain a rusting heap of sh*t, and doesn't do me, you or anyone else a lick of good so long as it remains a rusting heap of sh*t, blocking someone's yard/driveway/storage bldg. Potential value is nothing at all like real, usable value when it comes to cars.

My own uncle, God love 'im, has a '57 Chevy sedan that's practially rusting into the ground (the 4-doors got and get NO love). I only wish I had the talent, resources and $$$ to take it off his hands and turn it into my own personal family car; with say, some Corvette rallyes, disk brakes, A/C and a 350 crate motor--that would be so F**K YEAH.

Considering they can go for over 150k fully restored/ rust free . On top of that its a real Shelby gt500. Is it high? Yes. Worth it in the long run? Yes.

Try to keep your jaw from dropping...

Advantage to the awd? looks kinda meh--if that's possible--in white, though...

Considering they can go for over 150k fully restored/ rust free . On top of that its a real Shelby gt500. Is it high? Yes. Worth it in the long run? Yes.

I just can't see dropping that kind of coin on something that I couldn't even use for (possibly) years in the forseeable future.

Edited by reddsun1

Ah, now this is how I remember 'em.

hrdp-1112-10-o+1969-plymouth-satellite+passenger-side-view.jpg

This featured car at hotrod dot com is an attempt at reviving the street-machine look, with its less-than-18" mismatched wheels, subdued interior and mildly modded from stock powerplant. The article refers to it having a "stinkbug stance." I've never heard that term before; but the look sure is familiar. Where I grew up, it was referred to as "jacked-up" (in the back), or "moonshiner's" stance. And back before the pro-touring craze, it was the '68 Camaro--typically RS/SS with the bumble bee nose stripe--that was king with the hot rodders, not the '69....

ed: now admittedly, there are some aspects of hot rodding days gone-by that should stay in the past; like underperforming brakes, tires that struggle for grip, and the like. But even the magazine staffers seemed enamoured with this style: "it's a big turd. It drives like a tank and handles like a wet napkin, but the reality is that the car is freaking awesome!"

Edited by reddsun1

Oh God, I hope that COPO never sees production. Camaros and Mustangs are everywhere right now... and usually driven by the type of people who still ought to be cutting their teeth on 6 cylinder vehicles.

I don't think that it would be a camaro you could just waltz down to the dealer. Buy and drive off with it that day.

I just can't see dropping that kind of coin on something that I couldn't even use for (possibly) years in the forseeable future.

Its a labor of love. And when you're down building it you have a feeling of accomplishment that makes you feel good about what you did with your two hands.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I don't think that it would be a camaro you could just waltz down to the dealer. Buy and drive off with it that day. Its a labor of love. And when you're down building it you have a feeling of accomplishment that makes you feel good about what you did with your two hands.
I can definitely appreciate the labor of love part. I could say I'm in that boat myself. My own w'end toy is currently torn apart, bits and pieces stuffed in boxes all over the garage. 100_0647.jpg

I can attest to the sense of satisfaction and pride from finishing or repairing a part yourself, whilst managing not to bugger it up. :p I can say that there is no monetary value that could buy that car away from me. It's like a 3rd child to me. But no matter what sentimental value I might place on that ol' rust bucket, I still wouldn't expect somebody to give me $80-$90K for it. Oh, sure--I could make plenty of arguments for why I think it'd be worth a sh*t load o' $$$: 1.) it's rarer than a Shelby; we figure there are maybe 100 or so of these in the US and Canada, maybe less. I can say mine's one of the first dozen to ever be imported. Hell, I just wish it were a GT. They only made 949 of those in 3 years of production; ol' Shel built 2,048 GT500s in '67 alone. 2.) it can make as much power as that Shelby, maybe more. Aussie Clevos have a reputation for being able to make 500 hp in street trim without breaking much of a sweat. And I definitely plan on getting mine in that neighborhood. I've done the research, and know what needs to be done to unleash more horses under the hood--it's just a matter of time, gathering the $$$ for parts to get it. Speed's just a question of money: How fast do you wanna go? 3.) I can make it handle better than that Shelby. Any of the tricks and techniques for making old Shelbys handle like new ones can be applied to mine too. Plus, them big wheelwells will take much wider wheels and tires than a Mustang; so eventually, I know I'll be able make 'er stick like stink on sh*t, take freeway offramps at 80 mph. B)) But would that justify me putting it on eBay and sticking some assclown buy-it-now price on it? Hell no.

Edited by reddsun1

Based on the numbers, I never considered the smart car that smart anyway and this proves my point

The Ford Focus and Fiesta gets the same MPG and twice the size and carry capacity,, that little inefficient 3 cylinder should get 50, not 41 without A/C

I have a '12 Focus hatchback SEL (pics a few pages back :p ), it's got decent fuel economy but it was a bit of a letdown, and I get nowhere near the theoretical sticker max of 38 MPG. I'm squeezing out about 31. The Fiesta is VERY fuel efficient though.

I have a '12 Focus hatchback SEL (pics a few pages back :p ), it's got decent fuel economy but it was a bit of a letdown, and I get nowhere near the theoretical sticker max of 38 MPG. I'm squeezing out about 31. The Fiesta is VERY fuel efficient though.

Couldn't find it, a guy has one at work, not the fuel efficient package. He gets 34 mixed driving with a regular SEL. He noticed it goes way down the more city driving he does. I have a fusion manual trans and I only get 23,, it really doesn't like speeds above 80 considering its running 2k at 50mph