I'm ashamed to say not much: the paint and body work was about $5K. Did you mean how much specifically for paint? I'll ask, because the estimate/job order was an incoherent mess lol. My main goal was just to eliminate rust by cutting and welding or whatever; paint wasn't even a consideration. In fact I wanted to leave the car in primer or just flat-black it or something, but the body shop told me I had to paint it to protect all of the metal. On the other hand, I know a local Mopar owner who spent about $10K to have his car stripped down to the frame and shell and built up again. Maybe when I finally grow up I can afford to follow that route, lol...

Edited by myk

Cool. I'd like to have agent orange repainted in about a year or two (To grabber green). The car needs some body work, and I also need to replace some one of the fender aprons and it needs an alignment.

I miss my Lotus, but wanted a snow/AWD sports car so I just picked up a Porsche 911 C4S. It is SO fun.

Edit: attach pic

post-204-0-38195200-1341521989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Agent ONE

What car are you considering these seats for?

Had thought about getting some for the 'Roo. The stitching pattern and seat design does make them blend with the interior very well. I saw some at a local car show in a '69 Camaro and they looked right at home in that car as well.

What was the hp of those Celicas, reddsun?

Those were rated at 105 HP. I'd heard of owners getting as much as 300 HP out of the 22RE, with turbocharging. I used to chuckle at the tachometer---must have been an inside joke at Toyota or something. That damned motor was all done by the time it hit 4000 rpm.

some tech notes on that family of engines here:

http://www.toysport...._tech_notes.htm

ed: I never really liked the pop up headlights on the RA-65's though. Thought it spoiled the look, aerodynamically. One mod I would have liked to do--if I'd kept the car--would have been to replace the black headlight covers with smoke/clear ones [like on the side markers], and put fixed headlights behind them; kinda like they did with 1st and 2nd gen racing corvettes...

Edited by reddsun1

I was going to ask you a while ago about your first winter driving in Chicago.

I don't mind it, I grew up in San Francisco, but spent every winter weekend skiing in Tahoe... I am accustomed to far brutal winter conditions than Chicago has to offer... Still though, going to work in snow with 30 MPH winds is less fun than skiing in it. Sold the Lotus in SF and brought my other car (Chevy Tahoe) here. Hated that thing, so got rid of it and am driving the 911 (C4S) as my everyday car. It should be great in the snow.

REDDSUN1: Here's an option for the Falcy seats for you. They're Chrysler SRT seats out of a current LC22 Challenger, on manual frames from a JC49 Journey (shaving 17lbs.), with slight foam mods in the front cushion, trimmed to look like an XBGT. With the fat bolsters and scale, it looks a 'beaut in the Falcy. The only issue is the mounting feet hole locations. They're off by .5" on either side, and you have to make a spacer for the outboard rear track mounts. They're trimmed in leather and prototype Ford B299 cloth. I'm almost 6ft. and don't have an issue with head clearance. The modern frames are better with dual recliners that lock on both sides, instead of the single little triangle metal bit on the original seats that just pivot freely, and they meet 202A head impact criteria. Just an idea...

gallery_14954_549_188582.jpg

Edited by Wasabi-san

105? Jeez, my first Sentra, a 1992 E model had 110 HP and that car was completely stripped.

I suppose that was considered respectable back around '84 - '85. The top end "sporty" cars were making in the neighborhood of 150 - 180 HP or so. I don't think the still emissions-neutered V8 powered cars of the day had even broken back through the 200 HP threshhold by then?

REDDSUN1: Here's an option for the Falcy seats for you. They're Chrysler SRT seats out of a current LC22 Challenger, on manual frames from a JC49 Journey (shaving 17lbs.), with slight foam mods in the front cushion, trimmed to look like an XBGT. With the fat bolsters and scale, it looks a 'beaut in the Falcy. The only issue is the mounting feet hole locations. They're off by .5" on either side, and you have to make a spacer for the outboard rear track mounts. They're trimmed in leather and prototype Ford B299 cloth. I'm almost 6ft. and don't have an issue with head clearance. The modern frames are better with dual recliners that lock on both sides, instead of the single little triangle metal bit on the original seats that just pivot freely, and they meet 202A head impact criteria. Just an idea...

Hmm, that's food for thought. I suppose the problem for me--if I end up getting new front seats--would be finding a local uphostery shop that will be able to do custom contrasting piping to match the interior, without costing an arm and a leg.

I suppose that was considered respectable back around '84 - '85. The top end "sporty" cars were making in the neighborhood of 150 - 180 HP or so. I don't think the still emissions-neutered V8 powered cars of the day had even broken back through the 200 HP threshhold by then?

Also, it's worth keeping in mind the 22R was a truck motor. It was 2.4l and really torquey, 137ft lbs. The older 20R motors were used in the Hiluxes and the 22RE was used in the first generation 4Runner, so it was a bit out of place in the "sportier" Celica.

REDDSUN1: The front seats were $750.ooUS to trim, using the existing trim as a pattern for Heidi, the trimmer. The back seats are front bucket foams with the middle filled in to make it like a bench seat. That will be around $1000.ooUS. That's a reasonable ballpark figure for custom interior seat trim...at least in the Detroit area. I supplied the leather and prototype cloth, and she made the modified "XBGT" inserts per tape lines and film pics.

How crazy are you trying to get with the trim? Just modifying the trim cover, or modding the foam as well? Timing?

Piping (welt) isn't hard to add to a cover. It just gets added into the sandwich as it gets sewn.

Any pics of your Falcy?

I like that red on the MP4-12C. :D

Speaking of the Celica, does anyone know when they started marketing the All-trac (GT-Four) in North America? I wasn't certain if it started with the earlier chassis (ST165). I know they stopped bringing them here after `94 which was a shame.

Speaking of the Celica, does anyone know when they started marketing the All-trac (GT-Four) in North America? I wasn't certain if it started with the earlier chassis (ST165). I know they stopped bringing them here after `94 which was a shame.

We only got the ST165 and ST185, and the ST165 was the first of the GT4s. The earlier RWD Celicas were still used to rallying, though: http://www.groupbrally.com/toyota.shtml

Any pics of your Falcy?

From better days. She's pretty well torn down now, waiting for strip down to bare metal. Rust's not nearly as bad as it could've been, for these birds. Just in some really awkward places for someone with practically no welding experience like myself. Driver's side sill panel may have to be replaced; few small places in the toe boards; in the corners of the firewall, and front cowl. Thankfully pretty small, but still a little daunting. She sits. And waits, patiently.

post-1488-0-75898000-1341969527_thumb.jpg

post-1488-0-21483000-1341969543_thumb.jpg

From better days. She's pretty well torn down now, waiting for strip down to bare metal. Rust's not nearly as bad as it could've been, for these birds. Just in some really awkward places for someone with practically no welding experience like myself. Driver's side sill panel may have to be replaced; few small places in the toe boards; in the corners of the firewall, and front cowl. Thankfully pretty small, but still a little daunting. She sits. And waits, patiently.

I know your pain brother. Seeing my car in that state kept me overcast for quite a few years. When are you planning to ship it off to be fixed?

Nice additions such as the GT grill lights, front spoiler, rear honeycomb and GS/GT bonnet. Start out as a Falcon 500 or GS (going by the shorty window trim and no wheel arch trim)? 302C or 351C? Locking petrol cap, got that too. The GT one looks better, but doesn't lock. Did you have to order the 12-slotters custom for the wider tyres? I'm thinking late '73-early '75...

She's a 'beaut...

Edited by Wasabi-san

I know your pain brother. Seeing my car in that state kept me overcast for quite a few years. When are you planning to ship it off to be fixed?

Unless I hit the lotto, gonna have to do as much as I can meself. Lucky for me: none of the welding required will be where it will be seen. :p

Nice additions such as the GT grill lights, front spoiler, rear honeycomb and GS/GT bonnet. Start out as a Falcon 500 or GS (going by the shorty window trim and no wheel arch trim)? 302C or 351C? Locking petrol cap, got that too. The GT one looks better, but doesn't lock. Did you have to order the 12-slotters custom for the wider tyres? I'm thinking late '73-early '75...

She's a 'beaut...

Thank you! Originally a 500, with 302C. Been stroked to 351C, but block is not numbers matching. Good thing is: still has the 2V closed chamber heads. Eventually gonna get a full port and polish job. ;) Had to order the 15"x10" rears; can't get 'em made in that size any more though, when last I checked. She's got a sordid past--been pranged pretty good, somewhere along the line. The bog was nearly 1/2" thick in places on the driver's sill; and the engine crossmember is actually bowed upward about 1/4" [the f**k were they doing in the thing? jumping buses? :blink: ]. But she tracks straight and true, body man took measurements and "couldn't find anything out of spec" at all the key points.

I miss my Lotus, but wanted a snow/AWD sports car so I just picked up a Porsche 911 C4S. It is SO fun.

Edit: attach pic

a beater might not be a bad idea for the winter months? Something like a reliable, old FWD, 90's Carolla or something to putter around in the snow/ice in? That way, there's no heartache if a garbage truck slides into it...

90's...Hell...that'd go like gangbusters in downtown DEEE-troit today. It's got bling, bright colors and being a Chrysler, easy-to-steal potential...especially with their "pimp-daddy's" driving around old 80's "DONK's" with cereal and candy stickers all over them, riding on 28" rented DU(m)B's. "Sheee-t maaan...dat's fly. Popo be stylin'."

Wonder if it was originally a drug-seized car?

True Story from my morning commute today: I suddenly noticed a cop tailing me, his lights weren't blinking, but he was very aggressive, and stayed glued to my bumper for almost 2 miles. At this point I think he's just fracking with my head, then all of a sudden he makes a really sharp right turn into a plaza... guess why?

ScreenShot2012-07-11at81635PM.png