I saw that today :( he was responsible in whole or part for so many legendary cars: AC Cobra, Daytona Coupe, GT40, Viper, Series 1, countless Mustangs; such sad news a real automotive legend. I heard he was also the record holder for the longest living heart transplant patient.

it's being reported that Carroll Shelby passed away

http://www.topgear.c...elby-2012-05-04

American muscle cars were never my scene but I have always loved his cars.

Though not a Shelby fan, I understand his passion for high horsepower in small lightbody cars. He will be missed by many. The cars with his signature will be even more of a collector's item from now on.

RIP Carroll. You'll be missed. As a soon to be owner of 3 mustangs, No other icon has meant more to the american automotive scene in the past 50 years. I was just reading an article in Mustang Monthly where he finally built his 1000 HP Shelby.

All depends how it looks, and how much it costs with the engine they actually equip it with. I would buy a "new G8 GT" in a second. (well, as in, as soon as I could actually buy a new car).

But with how the new Impala looks, and the rumored price/engine, (and thus gas/insurance) it may not look that good and be too expensive to own. The G8 GT was an incredible value, and I kick myself every day for not waiting another year so I could have one. (though it would have been even better to wait 2 years and have an 09)

A "new G8 GXP" is quite a niche market, I've still only seen 1 G8 GXP ever. What, $10-12K over the "basic" V8 G8? Even worse than the SRT8 models from Dodge-----*way* more money for just a bit bigger engine and speed, and unlike the Dodges, there's no "standard V8 model" that's more affordable. (if the Chevy SS is equivalent to the G8 GXP)

hi Guys, Chevy SS, The G8 equivalent. Imported from Australia, what do we think?

Couple of aussies would be able to chime in better, but I think as long as you have the 5.7 instead of the 5.0 they were pretty good cars. Look out for maint parts. They had a lot of special options like brembo brakes and other things that could be hard to find

Edit, your probably talking the newer one so itd be the latest gen motor which really wakes up with some tuning

Edited by pfunk

ther are some pictures out for the SS, but it looks similar to the Aussie counter part. Good chasis, thats all i know... other than the power... I have a mild crush on the Subaru BRZ, but I feel like it is lacking power.

ther are some pictures out for the SS, but it looks similar to the Aussie counter part.

That's because they're all photoshops/concepts. Nobody has actually seen it. (and the one all the sites are showing as the camoflaged one, is the NASCAR version---and we all know how much a NASCAR Charger/Camry resembles the real thing)

Now for some more sexy supercar wallpapers. Here's the Lamborghini Aventador Rabbioso LP777-4 by Wheelsandmore. The 6.5 liter V12 engine has been tuned to generate 777 bhp and 553 lb-ft torque, resulting in a top speed of 217 mph. And that mocha brown color looks delicious.

2012-Wheelsandmore-Lamborghini-Anventador-Rabbioso-Static-4-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Wheelsandmore-Lamborghini-Anventador-Rabbioso-Static-5-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Wheelsandmore-Lamborghini-Anventador-Rabbioso-Static-2-1920x1440.jpg

2012 Wheelsandmore Lamborghini Aventador Rabbioso

Wheelsandmore Official Site

Hmm--the Cobra that never was?

cobra-3-lonestar-05.jpg

These black and white photos were taken by Scott Malcomb circa 11-1-67 for Road and Track Magazine. Shelby had Len Bailey construct this prototype 1968 Cobra, originally called the Cobra III in Shelby American internal documents, as a replacement for the 427 Cobra, which Shelby American called the Cobra II. Ford, which owned the Cobra trademark, complained about Shelby's use of the name, so Shelby re-named it the Lonestar.

cobra-3-lonestar-03.jpg

Len Bailey had been the J.W.E. engineer in charge of the road-going version of the GT-40, the MkIII. The Lonestar was essentially a simplified GT-40 tub with the GT-40 Ford 289/ZF layout, an aluminum Ferrari-like body, GT-40 suspension and Cobra brakes and wheels. In December, 1966 Bailey conducted wind tunnel tests on a 1/4 scale model at the Imperial College wind tunnel and determined a cd of .36 requiring 295 horsepower at 200 mph. with front downforce of 81 lbs. and rear lift of 100 lbs.

"...with a front downforce of 81 lbs and rear lift of 100 lbs." Hmm, sounds scary. Might not be a bad thing that this one was stillborn. Kinda fugly. But; with Shelby's passing--might someone try to resurrect the model as a kit or continuation? to commemorate the man's previous projects and acheivements?

I know a lot of you live in snooty areas where you see super cars often, how often do you see them driving around in bad weather? Monday it was pouring rain and i saw a 458 Italia flying down a two lane road, then not more than a few hours after that i saw a brand new 911 Turbo almost lose the rear end taking a left turn through a puddle. Fortunately, he was able to correct the oversteer (i'm sure in great part due to the AWD) but i doubt he'll be taking corners that aggressive in the rain again. I'm used to seeing super cars on perfect summer days, but seeing them flying down the roads in pouring rain was a bit odd, especially with the factory slicks those cars are equipped with.

Here's my ride (Work in Progress). I'm dumping in a 467/C6 with a posi/3.55/9" combo. The nosecone, "Bathurst-88" bonnet scoop, and flares are ABS/Bond-O mockups. The spoilers will be welded. Roush will be laying up the parts this Summer. The paint is Caterpillar semi-gloss black with the striping in flat black. All of the lettering is 911 reflective silver-on-black vinyl.

(Reddsun1 should know the base car pretty easily)

gallery_14954_549_116211.jpg

Edited by Wasabi-san

Here's my ride (Work in Progress). I'm dumping in a 467/C6 with a posi/3.55/9" combo. The nosecone, "Bathurst-88" bonnet scoop, and flares are ABS/Bond-O mockups. The spoilers will be welded. Roush will be laying up the parts this Summer. The paint is Caterpillar semi-gloss black with the striping in flat black. All of the lettering is 911 reflective silver-on-black vinyl.

http://www.macrosswo..._549_116211.jpg

DO I? How could I not? Only one of the baddest a$$ movie cars--EVAH! That gets a big ol' fu*k yea. Have you considered looking up Gordon Hayes/Grant Hodgson for an Arcadipane nose? Theirs are arguably the most accurate/best looking. Hah! I'd always said if I did a BoB w/out a real supercharger, it'd have to have a Bathurst scoop. Only potential downside: that big block is gonna murder your handling balance. Then again, when you're accelerating to catch up/overtake the scoot jockeys--the straight line speed is really what you need, eh? B))

Funny you should mention welding the spoilers. I think some owners have discovered long-term issues with cracking when they just 'glass them on (roof).

You should look up the Mad Max replicas yahoo group. Loads of like-minded enthusiasts--and fellow BoB owners--who'd gladly welcome a fellow owner; lots of folks who don't mind helping with advice, info, sourcing parts, etc. You never know when somebody may post that they've got a container of parts coming over from Oz, and wouldn't mind sharing the space...

Edited by reddsun1

Thanks Beltane70.

Doug from Canada (madmaxcar.com) has IMHO the most accurate replica that I have seen, touched or ridden in...going as far as getting the rego sticker and putting black electrical tape over it, putting in the fifth screw on the left perspex cover, the correct pinstripe around the front under the headlight, rusting the pulley bolts, vintage 265 BFG's...etc. He has the issues of the glass bubbling/lifting off of the greenhouse metal and boot lid as well. I've been to OZ, seeing quite a few of them at Sandown Raceway during the 30th Anniversary of MM, and my opinion stands.

Contact with Gordon was lost when he bailed on MMM.com a few years ago (as did I) after his JGS/BoB build was ripped apart and slammed. More than a few of us did (including Adrian Bennet of the MMMuseum), especially after "Suckpuppet" and one persons multiple identities reared their ugly heads in October of '08. The last straw were the huge arguments over who's car was more accurate and who used the "correct" parts from "original" molds, or got "top secret" info from this or that person, with the new "Incorrector" tag used on anyone who didn't. Grow up. Even their cars were wrong...(Scott).

I decided to go off of the movie and the description of the "Breaker Squad" cars out of the books..."Big engine, big fuel tank, over-the-top horsepower, flat black, with crude armour plating." I actually don't care for the Arcadipane Concorde nose that much anymore, so I went with more of the "Ironman/Neanderthal" styled front clip that will eventually have the roo bars, also in part to peoples quality and bragging issues with others parts. The nose, flares, spoilers and bonnet scoop are of my own design, and are one-off concepts to avoid the "Incorrector" tag/pi$$ing match since it's not Maxs' BoB. If people don't like it, they can bugger off and go build me what they think I should have.

Phil Newell from Aussiecoupes.com imported my car in '03, and am looking for a crate of parts right now.

Reddsun1, you wouldn't happen to be REDD4 on MMM.com would you?

Reddsun1, you wouldn't happen to be REDD4 on MMM.com would you?

Nope, I've not actually posted on their forums before. Indeed, Doug M.'s car is to kill for. He was kind enough to tell me before who he'd sourced his body kit from, but it escapes my memory now. Jim Martino's car is another damned fine example. But yes--Doug's is f'ing beautiful. Mark S.'s has always been my hands-down favorite in the propulsion department. One of the sweetest sounding motors I've ever heard. I can only imagine how much cooler it sounds in person.

I've read that the original film car is now in an auto museum in FL. I wonder if it's gone on display yet?

Another movie, another product placement. The Men in Black have traded in their Mercedes-Benz E-Class with the new Ford Taurus.

Indeed, the product placment thing really is overdone nowadays, to the point of distraction. Pretty annoying. Funny that Wasabi-san and I should be on our little tangent about a film car that's still pretty iconic--from a movie made over 30 years ago--and it started out as just a prop. As legend has it: the filmmakers "just needed a tough looking car for the hero to drive," and found it sitting in someone's driveway. No market studies; no bullsh*t merchandising or happy-meal tie-ins. After the first movie, they put it up for sale, and nobody wanted it. After the 2nd movie, it went to the junkyard and was meant to be scrapped.

gallery_14954_549_116211.jpg

Falcon, HUGE fan... ever think about a tremec instead of the auto?