its bs, the airbags went off and they work as an accelerometer and are located throughout the vehicle at differing angles (on the outside and not in the interior) to send info to the computer which interpolates the info and sends the signal for the bag to deploy

AND the pressure it takes to move structure like that the guy would be dead or at least bleeding from most of his orfaces

Just to add and add, acetylene burns extremely sooty which is non existent in the photos and the concentration it would have took to explode like that breathing in for the time it took to start it and hit the power windows, the guy would a passed out

Edited by pfunk

its bs, the airbags went off and they work as an accelerometer and are located throughout the vehicle at differing angles (on the outside and not in the interior) to send info to the computer which interpolates the info and sends the signal for the bag to deploy

AND the pressure it takes to move structure like that the guy would be dead or at least bleeding from most of his orfaces

Just to add and add, acetylene burns extremely sooty which is non existent in the photos and the concentration it would have took to explode like that breathing in for the time it took to start it and hit the power windows, the guy would a passed out

Its more boom than burn.

Its more boom than burn.

yes, but there would be residual with that much gas as there wasnt enough oxygen around it for a clean burn, I have acetylene torches and have played around a bit, mainly with shop rags stuffed in 20oz pop bottles. Becides still doesnt explain the airbags and the no death from the pressure differential in the mans body and what it took to move all that steel,, just opening the door would have made someone dang near pass out or at least eyes water and get dizzy as hell,, let alone jump in, shut the door, start it, try to roll a window down..... sorry, as an engineer, I stick by my BS remark

Looking at the pictures again, the structure looks caved in at the rear like a bar was dropped on it,,, and notice that dent follows all the way into the wheel well inner sheetmetal along with the left hand door frame,,, exploding from the inside would not do that,, the panels were pried off. The interior is designed to handle "explosions" IE the air bags which are huge in the pressure department started by solid fuel,,, It doesn't look like that as the panels are cracked like they were struck with a sharp object.

They made that corvette better. I bet it doesn't fishtail and slam into guardrails now.

Vettes are pieces of Sh!T!

well the numbers of the ZR1 and the C6r don't lie,, the 930 was more then a guard rail lover then any vette could dream,, not that I wouldn't love to try one out

They made that corvette better. I bet it doesn't fishtail and slam into guardrails now.

Vettes are pieces of Sh!T!

I might be in the market soon for a newer car and have been considering a Vette. It would probably be the base coupe. If you know of a comparable car in the same price range (high 40's to mid 50's new, low to mid 30's used) that offers equal to better performance, I would be interested in it.

What's terrible about them? They offer incredible performance for the price. The recent C6 seems to be heavily praised. Hell, even the guys at Top Gear have liked them.

I might be in the market soon for a newer car and have been considering a Vette. It would probably be the base coupe. If you know of a comparable car in the same price range (high 40's to mid 50's new, low to mid 30's used) that offers equal to better performance, I would be interested in it.

What's terrible about them? They offer incredible performance for the price. The recent C6 seems to be heavily praised. Hell, even the guys at Top Gear have liked them.

the most frequent complaints--from the auto mags--seem to focus on interior quality and unsupportive seats?

ed: buyer beware! purchasing a Corvette could have degenerative effects! it could make you nearly as unbearable a pr*ck as a Porsche owner! :p

Edited by reddsun1

its all perception, the vette is a front runner, and for the money, the leader

edit, if your going for base, get the GS package, you get a lot of high quality parts from the Z06 for a little cost

Edited by pfunk

I own a 2007 Z06 and I have to say it's great---for the price---. It's an absloute blast to drive..It handles great and the acceleration is VERY intoxicating. I will never be a good driver enough to take that car to the limits of what it can acutally do--I doubt there are many around who can who are not professional drivers. (and I have done road racing courses and put it on a track twice). The interior is not Porsche or Audi or BMW quality...but it's not horrible. Bang for your buck..a used C6 Z06 is the best thing going...in my opinion. The biggest complaint I have is the gearbox. It kinda sucks. I recently drove a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Ferrari 430, an Audi R8 and a Porcshe Boxster Spyder...I can honeslty say I felt pretty good about life going home in my Z06. No, it doesn't handle as good as the Germans, nor is it as brutally raw as the Italians..but for less than 1/3rd the cost..I'll live with it. B))

Edited by derex3592

What do you not like about the gearbox? IIRC, they changed the gearbox on MY2008 (along with other things), but I'm still curious.

edit, if your going for base, get the GS package, you get a lot of high quality parts from the Z06 for a little cost

If it were a GS it wouldn't be a base, would it? :p I'd love to get a GS, but I don't know if I'd be able to afford it. I'll find out soon though...

I agree with derex on the used ZO6, i actually wouldn't mind finding a used C5 ZO6 as they're finally dropping way down in price. I've driven a few C6's and found them extremely spirited, even a little scary, but fit and finish left a lot to be desired. It wasn't simply just the raw materials used there's definitely an atmosphere to the interior that makes it feel kinda cheap, a lot of those quality annoyances are easily overlooked by performance, and it's not like cheap interiors is exclusive to the Corvette (in Chevy's lineup). As far as the GS package, i agree, you basically get all of the goodies from the ZO6 (brakes, fenders, bumper, dry sump system, etc.) but not the motor which for the average person the LS3 has more than enough power.

What do you not like about the gearbox? IIRC, they changed the gearbox on MY2008 (along with other things), but I'm still curious.

You are correct, they did change them in 08 I hear...didn't know that when I bought...oh well...It is just kinda "cheap and clunky feeling"...also hard to get into 3rd when trying to really get a good run to 100..after driving for like an hour it does improve somewhat, but it still is just kinda "meh"

You are correct, they did change them in 08 I hear...didn't know that when I bought...oh well...It is just kinda "cheap and clunky feeling"...also hard to get into 3rd when trying to really get a good run to 100..after driving for like an hour it does improve somewhat, but it still is just kinda "meh"

Borg warner was working with nissan for the gtr and those improvements made it into the vette

My father and I got new cars at the same time a few years ago. I got a new M3 and he got a new Vette. We would go out driving, and switch cars. He greatly regretted his purchase.

My father and I got new cars at the same time a few years ago. I got a new M3 and he got a new Vette. We would go out driving, and switch cars. He greatly regretted his purchase.

Ohh--of this I have no doubt my friend! My daily driver is a 1 series coupe which I adore! My next car WILL be an 09 or newer M3! Do you have the coupe or the 4 door?

A German car will feel more refined, and the vette will feel more sloppy. The power in a European car will come on a lot more smoothly (except maybe a few turbo cars,, the 930 comes to mind). I used to run M3s (and drove the previous model (e46)) all the time in my LT4, and would take them, but the feel is a lot different. Personally I like the raw and violent over refined, but most people will take the refined "feel" I will say the beemers felt really smooth in all aspects and it was easy to take close to its limits, but the vette had larger limits,, but with higher consequences. I have been knocked back and forth from not properly hanging it out around corners, which is a learning curve. Id love to tackle a built up Porsche turbo one day

BTW if you really want violent and unrefined,, Viper GTS-R comes to mind,, that car is all over the place.. Which I had the joy of driving a pepped up one (750 hp),,, hell, the door panel was worn out from peoples knee operating the clutch,, bad designs, but what a ride

Edited by pfunk

Ohh--of this I have no doubt my friend! My daily driver is a 1 series coupe which I adore! My next car WILL be an 09 or newer M3! Do you have the coupe or the 4 door?

Had the coupe. Loved it. Put 282,000 miles on that car.. Original clutch!

Had the coupe. Loved it. Put 282,000 miles on that car.. Original clutch!

Thats pretty amazing, was looking at the 3's all wheel drive (late 2000's used), for the price point, it makes a pretty good family sedan. maint is high, but I do all the work myself in a shop so its actually pretty cheap, the only thing I don't care for is if say you want to replace a ball joint, they make you replace the whole control arm on some models,, $20 part compared to a $200 part

Thats pretty amazing, was looking at the 3's all wheel drive (late 2000's used), for the price point, it makes a pretty good family sedan. maint is high, but I do all the work myself in a shop so its actually pretty cheap, the only thing I don't care for is if say you want to replace a ball joint, they make you replace the whole control arm on some models,, $20 part compared to a $200 part

They do it because they can. BMW is not the only company that does that stuff

They do it because they can. BMW is not the only company that does that stuff

Well, being an insider If I told you things like Lotus Engineering designs a LOT of German cars suspensions and uniframe/body you might think Im crazy (motor too believe it or not),,, they also designed the ecotech motor for GM,, or the exterior of the Holden Commadore (couple generations ago) I cant, for job security reasons, give current examples of others that would blow your mind,, , but trust me, the OEM's are all in the same bed,, its just how they spend their money (we design and manufacture a lot of stuff for the cars you love,, and the same guy for the cars you hate),, lol we have Germans working for us too (and a few German plants),,,, not saying if they are good or better then anyone else, but headquarters is in Michigan. Point is everything is outsourced including design and engineering. Companies like Chrysler who have a rep for cheaping out,, are well cheap... and companies that have a good rep like BMW for example spend the cash (which translates into an expensive vehicle). Heck most designers and engineers AT the OEM's are contractors that have worked on everything under the sun to which I have done also.

I cant tell you what we build, but if your the investigative sort you can find it and be really surprised.

http://www.intevaproducts.com/index.htm

http://search.autonews.com/suppliers/inteva.htm

Now if your talking about service parts, that's because they dont have a large development area in service like the american OEMs and they produce a lot less vehicles.. yes they can, but there's reasons.. hence the development of the 1 series and the smaller benzes which have a larger and more extensive list of service parts