In 1969, Holden unveiled its first concept car: the Hurricane. Now, more than 42 years later, the car is back in shape after a painstaking five-year restoration. The Hurricane is powered by a 4.2 liter V8 that generates 262 bhp. It also has features that were completely ahead of its time, such as the Pathfinder route guidance system (a precursor to the GPS navigation system) and a rear-view camera.

1969-Holden-Hurricane-Concept-Restored-Side-Angle-2-1920x1440.jpg

1969-Holden-Hurricane-Concept-Restored-Side-1920x1440.jpg

1969-Holden-Hurricane-Concept-Restored-Side-Open-Canopy-2-1920x1440.jpg

1969-Holden-Hurricane-Concept-Restored-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

1969-Holden-Hurricane-Concept-Restored-Rear-1920x1440.jpg

1969-Holden-Hurricane-Concept-Restored-Emblem-1920x1440.jpg

1969-Holden-Hurricane-Concept-Restored-Graphic-Lettering-1920x1440.jpg

1969 Holden Hurricane Concept Restored

I LOVE the mechanism for getting in and out. Not exactly sensible (God forbid it rain). I imagine the windshield was a rather expensive item. It seems a rear window might have also made the car a bit more user friendly. Basically, this car looks like it'd make a better Hot Wheels toy than an actual vehicle... but it is neat how outside of the box it was.

Edited by jenius

Very cool A7, I worked for those guys a bit in Melbourne on the Commodore. Thing about the glass is that you can curve it in any direction you like, but as soon as you add a compound curve you start to magnify. The feds usually allow a little bit around the corners (4th gen firebird anyone), but nothing in the direct pillar areas,, now you have all kinds of impact requirements and the pillars have to have absorbing mechanisms or bags

Hey A1, whats happinin?

EDIT, i wish they would have gave it a rear wheel opening

Edited by pfunk

I'd never seen/known about the Hurricane until recently. But I immediately noticed the uncanny resemblance to the Sterling kit cars that were popular in the '70s and '80s. I'd say the Aussies can boast that many of their automotive designs and innovations have influenced others the world over; something to be proud of, to be sure.

1970sterlingkitcar.jpg

I guess this sort of thing goes on a lot more than one would initially have expected in automotive circles. For example: Ford's Fusion Evos concept that was recently unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show...

Ford-Evos-concept-front-three-quarters.jpg

Ford-Evo-Concept-top-view.jpg?9707a5

looks like somebody just traced the outlines of a pic of Simon Brook's Mad Max Pursuit Special future concept, that was released [in 1/4 scale] just prior.

670x377Image4.jpg

2011-Ford-Mad-Max-Concept.jpg

I actually really like the Evos concept. It is clearly based on/inspired by Brook's original design, which was in turn inspired by the original Falcon-based Pursuit Special from the Mad Max movies. The proportions may be a bit off--it's like the car needs to be put into the automotive equivalent of a giant taffy machine and "stretched" a bit in places--but the Falcon design DNA is evident. Too bad the Fusion is destined [doomed] to be a FWD, 4 cylinder-only platform...

Edited by reddsun1

Dodge resurrects two performance nicknames for their current-generation Challenger and Charger. The Challenger SRT8 392 Yellow Jacket and Charger SRT8 Super Bee come in Stinger Yellow (or Pitch Black on the Charger) and are powered by a 6.4 liter V8 tuned to 470 bhp and 470 lb-ft. torque.

2012-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8-392-Yellow-Jacket-Front-And-Side-Speed-1920x1440.jpg

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 Yellow Jacket

2012-Dodge-Charger-SRT8-Super-Bee-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee

They had the Super Bee for the previous generation Charger didn't they? In any case, I love the new Charger body style. It's so close to my '69 I can almsot taste it-in my opinion anyway. If I wasn't so anti-car loan I'd seriously think about getting a new Charger R/T...

The fifth-generation Ford Mustang gets another facelift for the 2013 model year. The 5.0 liter V8 in the GT now generates 420 bhp. Automatic transmission models now have SelectShift as standard equipment. In addition, a new 4.2" LCD monitor on the instrument panel features Track Apps, which allows drivers to record their acceleration times, braking distances and g force ratings on the track.

2013-Ford-Mustang-GT-Front-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2013-Ford-Mustang-Track-Apps-1920x1440.jpg

2013 Ford Mustang

The 2013 Boss 302 will sport a new reflective "hockey stick" decal design and School Bus Yellow paint, recalling the 1970 model that won the Trans-Am championship.

2013-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Side-Speed-1920x1440.jpg

2013-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Interior-1920x1440.jpg

2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302

But perhaps the biggest news is the 2013 Shelby GT500. its supercharged 5.8 liter V8 generates 650 bhp and 650 lb-ft torque. Ford claims this gives the Shelby GT500 a top speed of over 200 mph.

2013-Ford-Shelby-GT500-Studio-Front-3-1920x1440.jpg

2013-Ford-Shelby-GT500-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

2013 Ford Shelby GT500

After displaying two versions of the same concept over the past two years, Toyota has unveiled the production version of the FT-86. The Toyota GT 86 is a traditional front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sports car powered by a Subaru-developed 2.0 liter boxer-4 that generates 197 bhp and 151 lb-ft torque. It hits UK showrooms in June 2012.

2012-Toyota-GT-86-Front-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Toyota-GT-86-Rear-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Toyota-GT-86-Dashboard-1920x1440.jpg

2012 Toyota GT 86

The Toyota GT 86 and Subie BRZ look fairly decent, even in base form. It should draw in customers looking for a Honda Civic Si, S2000 and Hyundai Genesis 2.0T or Veloster. But Subaru will more than likely make a turbo version someday. That's the one most will be interested in.

I'd think they could find a suitable low-drag light bar for that R8...

At first, I was thinking it was pretty ill-suited to the application too. But after thinking about it a little, my guess is: high speed stability, drag, etc. is probably not much of an issue, as it's not all that likely to get pushed that hard, that much. It's about the not so subtle statement this car makes; speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick, as it were. This car says: look bub, you're not gonna be able to get away from us, so don't bother, eh?

Edited by reddsun1

:lol:

80930490.jpg

80930493.jpg

80930492.jpg

ed: actually, there's not much funny about that 1st pic, considering they're doing that at highway speeds, and amongst other traffic. That's pretty f'ing stupid. At least when I did stupid sh*t in my car, I'd make sure no one else was around...

Edited by reddsun1