Cool pics and cars Peter. Where were those taken?

I think the thing with kids, is that they think the only affordable things they can do to the cars right away are the guady graphics and fart cannons. Customizing cars is expensive, so I don't blame them too much. Especially if you don't have access to tools, shop space and knowledge.

What I can't stand are the donked cars. I see alot of those as well. That look will never appeal to me.

Cool pics and cars Peter. Where were those taken?

I think the thing with kids, is that they think the only affordable things they can do to the cars right away are the guady graphics and fart cannons. Customizing cars is expensive, so I don't blame them too much. Especially if you don't have access to tools, shop space and knowledge.

What I can't stand are the donked cars. I see alot of those as well. That look will never appeal to me.

Thanks! The pics were taken in Kelowan BC. There's an show and shine (mostly American classics) there every year and we go there to throw a little rice into the party. Still, the folks there are pretty receptive to us. We get a lot of "Oh, I used to own one of those!"....haha, until they became roll-over cars. :(

I completely agree with you on the graphics and fart cannons.....+ non-functional hood scoops and intakes and vents :)

Edited by peter

Nothing wrong with cobbling together a beast for the street. "Form follows function," I say. I love cars that have been modded for a purpose; like fender flares--that actually allow fitting wider tires; or say an air scoop--that actually feeds more air to a bigger carb, or a cold-air system. While I don't like stuff that's tacked-on just to imitate high performance, I love to see it when people mod their cars to actually make it perform better, even if just a little bit.

Guy that lives in my home town owns this 280Z that I absolutely love. IIRC, he said the fender flares are done in metal; absolutely beautiful bit of work. I've had a bit of a chubby for this one since I first saw it, and I'm not even a Z fan.

26381250005_medium.jpg26381250004_medium.jpg26381250003_medium.jpg

280Z, another nice car. I've always wanted one of those. Nice custom.

I really like the car shows that have all types/years featured. Great way to bring different enthusiast together.

Edited by Golden Arms

Damn those are sexy. Really like the black one. IS it all carbon fiber?

Yeah, I briefly read the article. I think all the panels were replaced with "dry CF" (or whatever it's called when pressure cooked/vacuum formed). All the suspension is reworked so basically it's a whole new car with an RB26 (at least it looks like an RB26....no turbos though) that happens to look like an old Fairlady Z.

Edited by peter

Yeah, I briefly read the article. I think all the panels were replaced with "dry CF" (or whatever it's called when pressure cooked/vacuum formed). All the suspension is reworked so basically it's a whole new car with an RB26 (at least it looks like an RB26....no turbos though) that happens to look like an old Fairlady Z.

that sounds HELLA expensive.

I like the red ones, especially the stance of the one with the "Daytona" wheels. But if you're gonna go the blacked-out-motorsports-hood route, shouldn't it be matte/flat, not gloss? I always do a little *doh!* to myself when I see that.

They used to matte out the hood so the driver doesn't get glare from the sun right?

More Zs from a local show:

DSCN0541.JPG

DSCN0537.JPG

DSCN0449.JPG

I don't think this one's stock.

More pics from the hill climb/show and shine

Flying brick:

DSCN0585.JPG

DSCN0453.JPG

Bimmer fans might appreciate this one:

DSCN0577.JPG

DSCN0576.JPG

The owner told me that not a single hole was drilled and not a single peice of metal was cut to fit the motor....everything was bolted on or adapters were fabricated so that if he ever sold the car, he could sell it completely original.

Edited by peter

No Devil Z replicas, Peter?

Haha, no sorry, but I love movie/tv show/anine replicars.....General Lee, Knight 2000, the Bandit's Trans Am...haha, A-Team Van.

Nothing wrong with cobbling together a beast for the street. "Form follows function," I say. I love cars that have been modded for a purpose; like fender flares--that actually allow fitting wider tires; or say an air scoop--that actually feeds more air to a bigger carb, or a cold-air system. While I don't like stuff that's tacked-on just to imitate high performance, I love to see it when people mod their cars to actually make it perform better, even if just a little bit.

Guy that lives in my home town owns this 280Z that I absolutely love. IIRC, he said the fender flares are done in metal; absolutely beautiful bit of work. I've had a bit of a chubby for this one since I first saw it, and I'm not even a Z fan.

The local Z has a lot of custom fabrication done to the rear, it's wider and has custom tail lights, that must've cost a pretty penny.

So maybe them crazy Canucks weren't kidding after all? Looks like the De Macross [seriously? :blink: ] supercar is really a go. The mockup is at least full scale this time...

2012-the-northern-superca-1_800x0w.jpg2012-the-northern-superca-2_800x0w.jpg

2012-the-northern-superca-11_800x0w.jpg2012-the-northern-superca-8_800x0w.jpg

Hmm. Has a vague resemblance to the GT-40 Mk IV, but with a different tail and headlight covers...

ed: oh, these guys mean business eh? Those look like ALMS leader positioning lights on the front fenders [Hah!]

Edited by reddsun1

They used to matte out the hood so the driver doesn't get glare from the sun right?

More Zs from a local show:

I don't think this one's stock.

More pics from the hill climb/show and shine

Flying brick:

Bimmer fans might appreciate this one:

The owner told me that not a single hole was drilled and not a single peice of metal was cut to fit the motor....everything was bolted on or adapters were fabricated so that if he ever sold the car, he could sell it completely original.

AFAIK, that is correct: matte black to prevent sun glare.

Hehe, that Volvo is cockdeisel. B)) That Bimmer gets a "nicely done," too.

Edited by reddsun1

peter,

Can we get a full pic of your car? I love old cars that are tastefully modified.

Sure:

DSCN0780.JPG

Haha, just kidding, that was a pic of a Vette at the same show....not vintage but awesome none the less.

DSCN0646.JPG

DSCN0641.JPG

DSCN0405.JPG

DSCN0548.JPG

[/img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pRkph9066mA/TgQZ3vdTSeI/AAAAAAAAGfg/gkz2v9B22Ug/s1600/DSCN0616.JPG[/img]

More pics here:

http://civicsb1.blogspot.com

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_0903_honda_old_school/1978_civic.html

Here's a shot of an insane Mustang from the show:

DSCN0786.JPG

I think that's a parking camera a the bottom of the front plate of the Mustang....someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Edited by peter

Very nice and restrained. No crazy wings, ground effect body kits, overly thick tires, and other such nonsense. I approve.

Does the A/C still work?

Thanks! The only body mods are the fender flares, and it really wasn't by choice unforunately. The car's older than dirt and the fender's didn't do so well with Canadian winters and salted roads. It was either $2500 in body work, or $100 fender flares...I'm poor (and cheap, haha!) so you can see how I came about my decision.

Yes, there's a fart can on there as well, but that was also not by choice....Honda doesn't make factory mufflers for this car anymore....and besides, it sounds more like a gas trimmer than my farts =)

My car didn't come with A/C, but I think some of them did. The summers don't get raging hot here, so all it really takes is roll down my window, reach over to the passenger side (all 10 inches or so, haha!) and roll down that one and I'm set =)

Edited by peter

As a salute to 100 years of U.S. naval aviation, here's Ford's tribute to the U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron. This one-off Ford Mustang GT Blue Angels Edition will be placed in auction at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh on July 28, with proceeds going to the EAA Young Eagles Organization.

Large-script decals & emblems don't tend to age well [aesthetically] on cars, even "tribute" liveries. 10, 15 years down the road, folks tend to look at that sort of thing and go "that's so last-decade." The yellow striping and even the spoiler number work pretty well; and that's a marvelous shade of blue. What's the term for that almost reflective sheen to the finish?

Large-script decals & emblems don't tend to age well [aesthetically] on cars, even "tribute" liveries. 10, 15 years down the road, folks tend to look at that sort of thing and go "that's so last-decade." The yellow striping and even the spoiler number work pretty well; and that's a marvelous shade of blue. What's the term for that almost reflective sheen to the finish?

I know what you mean. Someomes I see a C4 Corvette with INDY500 Pace Car decals around town and it looks pretty dated...even worse cause some of the decals have peeled back. This Mustang is a one off though, and will probably be a garage queen that sees daylight a handful of times in it's whole life.

Remember that green Porsche 911 resto-mod by Singer? Here it is in white. Absolutely sexy and timeless.

Restomods rule.

*Beavis & Butthead voices*

-- Cool.

-- uhn-hunh unn-hunh. Cool!

LOL, there should be a warning sticker on the door sills though:

*Achtung!* This car has borderline malevolent

handling tendancies that, due to potential for

previously unheard of increases in power output,

will have been increased exponentially and it

will try to kill you, given the slightest lapse

in attention and respect.

Remember that green Porsche 911 resto-mod by Singer? Here it is in white. Absolutely sexy and timeless.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2011/top-2011-Singer-Porsche-911-White.htm"]2011 Singer Porsche 911 - White[/b

Man, that is sick. I loved the green one....The best thing about old cars is, they never go out of style =)

Anyone watch the Car Show?

that show with Adam "I'm not funny" Carolla

Nope. Haven't actively tried to find or follow it. Seems to be the same format as their sports-talk show, only applied to "automotive" subjects?

I'm guessing this is the SPEED network's answer to "Top Gear" since TG: America is presumably circling the bowl [if the flush isn't already complete]?

ed: exactly what DOES Adam Carolla DO, anyway? I remember hearing a bit of that radio show with Dr. Drew when he was on it, and he quipped to one of the callers: "I probably spend more on hookers than you make in a year."

Edited by reddsun1

Nope. Haven't actively tried to find or follow it. Seems to be the same format as their sports-talk show, only applied to "automotive" subjects?

I'm guessing this is the SPEED network's answer to "Top Gear" since TG: America is presumably circling the bowl [if the flush isn't already complete]?

ed: exactly what DOES Adam Carolla DO, anyway? I remember hearing a bit of that radio show with Dr. Drew when he was on it, and he quipped to one of the callers: "I probably spend more on hookers than you make in a year."

TG:America isn't too bad.

Carolla makes crappy jokes and looks into the camera.