That kind of thing always pisses me off. I'm young and I don't particularly look handicapped, but I have rheumatic arthritis which makes walking and standing for long periods painful. So I have handicapped parking placard for one of my vehicles, and handicapped plates on the other. Sometimes when I switch between the two, I end up in the vehicle without plates and forget to hang my placard when I park. (Of course, when I park at a meter, it's a rare and deliberate action, so I always remember to make sure I'm displaying, whichever car I'm in) And I'd hate to see my car vandalized because some armchair activist teenagers decided they'd be justice warriors and mess with me just because I didn't hobble out of my car with a cane or crutches. Leave well enough alone. If you're really bothered, call police, take pictures, and have them issue a citation. That way, people who are breaking the law have to pay a fine, and people who aren't, but forgot to display their placard, don't get unduly punished. (Well, more unduly punished than having to go to the courthouse and show them your placard)

So I got one of those new 1960's style (yellow-on-black) license plates that California DMV is reissuing. I was surprised to learn that it was made from the original 1960' dies. The only thing different is the yellow paint for the letters are now reflective.

This is the only new license plate from CA where the state name "CALIFORNIA" and tag locations are embossed into the aluminum. All other new plates have the state name and tag location points just painted in red for cost efficiency. For a car enthusiast, this is kinda nostalgic, even though I wasn't alive in the 60s.

post-7534-0-37913900-1437113373_thumb.jpg

What year is your car SMC? I also have a pair of antique 1970 plates that I might put on my car. I need to have them cleaned a repainted first.

1991, but the manufacture date is 8/90. State of Texas classifies vehicle age by manufacture date, regardless of model year. If the MFG date is formatted differently (eg due to being an import with a foreign VIN) the date is assumed to be 01/YR.

So anyway here in 2 weeks I'm gonna get her inspected, registered, and re-plated.

XveozNJ.jpg

I miss cars with those pop-up headlights, like the original Acura NSX, Mazda Miata, Mitsu Eclipse. They look so sleek compare to the chunky front end of today's cars with gigantic bug-eyed headlights with industrial size grills. Ahhhh...the 90's. :wub:

Insane finish at the Coke Zero 400 this past weekend, as "The Big One" occurred toward the finish line with Austin Dillon (#3) catapulted toward the catch fence, injuring 13 spectators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRhNXrzMfew

This happened a couple months ago at my local track. Its a miracle no one got hurt especially where that trash can landed.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I miss cars with those pop-up headlights, like the original Acura NSX, Mazda Miata, Mitsu Eclipse. They look so sleek compare to the chunky front end of today's cars with gigantic bug-eyed headlights with industrial size grills. Ahhhh...the 90's. :wub:

We are in the midst of the Second Malaise Era. I need Ferrari or Lamborghini to decide popups are just crazy enough to work, so people start playing with the idea again.

Of course, it'll never happen; stupid safety regulations.

safety regulations are the least of the reasons why we'll never see pop up headlights any more.

Aside from safety regulations, production costs eventually killed pop-up headlights. Car companies decided they could save money by ditching the pop-up mechanism in favor of static headlights.

Production cost and general styling trends are the main reasons we don't see pop-ups. Safety regulations are the reasons we never see popups. Even the expensive, exclusive, buck-the-styling-trend, we're-Italian-sod-off brands are subject to safety regs- particularly pedestrian safety regulations which govern the big bulky shape of the front of every car today. Popup headlights are inherently incapable of meeting pedestrian safety requirements, which means not even the Italians, who would probably try making cars out of soap if they got bored enough, can touch them.

Considering how big a hole that car made in the fence im surprised it didn't actually go all the way through it and plow straight into the crowd! If it did then we would have had a repeat of the 1955 Le Mans disaster all over again! Scary stuff! To be honest there needs to be a back up fence behind the main fence as a precaution to just this sort of thing..

Those amused me more than expected. I was dying when the headrest bent his neck down.

Reminds me of so many stupid car features I have seen in mostly american cars. The steering wheel removal remote was my favorite.

Reminds me of so many stupid car features I have seen in mostly american cars. The steering wheel removal remote was my favorite.

I dunno, a lot of Japanese cars have pretty silly features, like the vacuum in the back of a Honda Odyssey or the Electro Gyro-cator Honda came up with in the 80s. Or the coolbox in the 1980s Toyota TownAce van.

In other news, I picked up my new daily driver:

YPKTWhj.jpg

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

I dunno, a lot of Japanese cars have pretty silly features, like the vacuum in the back of a Honda Odyssey or the Electro Gyro-cator Honda came up with in the 80s. Or the coolbox in the 1980s Toyota TownAce van.

In other news, I picked up my new daily driver:

YPKTWhj.jpg

Nice! Both yours I assume? Are they 8's or 6's?

Both mine. Both 8s. The one in front is a 1998 5.9 Limited. The premium-unleaded-sucking granddaddy SRT swansong for the first-gen Grand Cherokee. It could do 0-60 in 6.7s when it was new, according to a test by MotorTrend. And with its 127mph top speed, it was the fastest SUV of its time. Those hood vents are factory and functional. And it has 10-speaker audio and every Limited option and then some.

The one in back is my 1997 Orvis Edition. Think Ford Eddie Bauer and you're close. It has green leather, a factory-installed 1-inch lift, tow hooks, and skid plates. That one has 91,400 miles, which is why I bought this 200k mile Niner to daily drive. FUEL ECONOMY IS FOR LOSERS.

This 5.9 Limited is my 5th Grand Cherokee, and my second niner. I had a 6-cylinder Laredo at one point. Never again.

Looks great! They both do actually! I have always had a soft spot for the Grand Cherokee! I'd love to get my hands on a late model SRT but they cost a right mint down here in Aus.. so instead I bought myself a cheap 2004 HSV Clubsport R8! 5.7L LS1.. (125k kms) Is a fair bit thirsty yes but as you put it so eloquently.. fuel economy is for losers! :lol: but still the fuel bill sucks balls.. :unsure:

Well, it's easier to stomach here in Dallas, Texas. Even Premium unleaded (93 octane) is inside $2.75 a gallon. (~1 AUD/liter) The niner here is actually an upgrade in fuel economy, since it gets 15mpg in mixed driving (over my Orvis' 11mpg). (15l/100km and 21l/100km respectively)

I'd hate to live in California right now.

Fuel is a little expensive here (not as bad as other countries though) im regularly filling up with the best stuff available at $1.60 to $1.70 per liter.. My average fuel consumption floats around 14 to 15 liters per 100kms.. which isn't too bad considering I have a 6 cylinder Commodore before the Clubsport which would average between 11 & 12L / 100kms..

I'd love to be paying closer to a $1 per liter again! sadly that ain't gonna happen again.. ever!

How expensive is fuel in California!?

so Australia and California are pretty much equal! We are still paying way too much for it though.. I remember filling up in the mid 90's for under 40cents per liter!

This is my Clubbie! crappy pic as its getting dark and its a bit gloomy outside. Rainy weather closing in.

20150807_172005.jpg