STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

^ I wouldn't worry about the listings being legit since the model has been released. Other than getting some boxes that did not survive the trip intact, due to some vendors using soft packaging, I haven't been disappointed yet with getting Bandai SW kits through Amazon. That being said, the prices are too high at the moment; unless you want to have a copy, or many, right now-ish, the better course of action is to wait until the hype dies down and the price comes down to be more in line with the 1/72 X-Wings and TIE fighters... $20+ instead of $30+ range.

^ I wouldn't worry about the listings being legit since the model has been released. Other than getting some boxes that did not survive the trip intact, due to some vendors using soft packaging, I haven't been disappointed yet with getting Bandai SW kits through Amazon. That being said, the prices are too high at the moment; unless you want to have a copy, or many, right now-ish, the better course of action is to wait until the hype dies down and the price comes down to be more in line with the 1/72 X-Wings and TIE fighters... $20+ instead of $30+ range.

Yup...the kit was released a couple of weeks ago so, they should be available. I've ordered a number of Bandai SW kits from Amazon, even with prime shipping from Japan with no issues.

Like Mech said, the prices a just a bit high, atm, so I'm going to wait a bit and see if the price drops. Though it may not drop too much due to the Turbo Laser tower being included in the kit.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Kylo Ren kit. All the parts are black with a few silver colored bits for the face and sabers. The light saber effect is also clear red. It has a lot of rubbery parts for the cloak and hood. Looks like a very simple build.

It's gonna be a bit before that one gets built due to being so far behind on kits. Still got wave votoms kits in painting process a storm trooper in putty process and tomy tech valks coming and a couple gundam kits with parts trimmed out in baggies waiting for glue and putty.

More like a poor attempt at a Falcon, closer to what I'd expect from the likes of Revell. I can't help but wonder why licensees expend so much effort and money to cannibalize each others' market. What ever happened to their AT-AT, or Star Destroyer? Hey Dragon, here's an idea: why not offer us some 1/48 T-70s, or Y-wings or B-wings? You know, something that another company hasn't already brought to market 50 times better for roughly the same price?

Edited by captain america

Even the promo pics don't look so nice eh? Anyway if they are cheap enough, the dragon kits can serve as a practise kit for customisations or spares.

Competition is good to keep bandai etc on their toes..who knows maybe one day dragon would b good enough..

Edited by seti88

Even the promo pics don't look so nice eh? Anyway if they are cheap enough, the dragon kits can serve as a practise kit for customisations or spares.

Competition is good to keep bandai etc on their toes..who knows maybe one day dragon would b good enough..

I don't think Dragon can legitimately be considered competition for Bandai at this point, more like comedy relief. Have they actually released ANY Star Wars stuff yet? They really need to get their sh*t together if they want to contend with Bandai, and Revell already occupies the "best of the rest" spot.

I don't think Dragon can legitimately be considered competition for Bandai at this point, more like comedy relief. Have they actually released ANY Star Wars stuff yet? They really need to get their sh*t together if they want to contend with Bandai, and Revell already occupies the "best of the rest" spot.

After looking at some of the Revell stuff, I don't think "best of the rest" is anything to shoot for. The only kits they have that seem to have any effort put into them are the reboxed Fine Molds ones.

Unfortunately, even a good kit of a fugly ship is still fugly. :lol:

While I can appreciate the practicality of some of the new designs (mostly thinking the landing craft in the opening sequence, and the tie fighters with a tail gunner), I really wasn't impressed by any of the new ship designs used in TFA. Out of the "new" designs, we got space boats, Ren's box with giant expand-o-matic tails, a bunch of podracer engines glued to a cockpit, Han and Chewie's docking bay in space, and Leia's flying taco truck.

I mean, I get practicality. But when you're trying to push merchandise for a big movie, you at least want designs that people will like, or at the very least remember. The stacks of unsold vehicles that aren't X-wings, ties, or the Millennium Falcon should speak volumes that they really didn't try very hard to come up with designs that anyone would actually buy.

Heck, if they don't feel like putting in the effort to develop some good-looking ships, and if they're going to go cherry pick random things out of the EU to use, just go right ahead and steal more of the existing EU ship designs like they did for the LEGO Jek-14 fighter (E-wing). At least then you get merchandise that has built-in demand from the EU fans who've wanted toys and models of those designs for years.

I think this is more of a general problem. Personally, when it comes to designs from a western SF franchise that I must have as a kit, I'm totally stuck in the 70s/80s - Classic SW Trilogy, Buck Rogers Starfighter, Eagle Transporter, Blade Runner Spinner etc. The last modern design that made it into my collection is the Nu Galactica. The rest of the new stuff, be it Star Wars or others, usually just "mehs" me.

Though I'd buy a kit of the District 9 dropship in a heartbeat, or Starlord's ride from GotG. And I have a Shuttle in my stash that I want to build as the STS Explorer from "Gravity"... :p

There've definitely been a few good designs lurking around, but they're getting fewer and farther between. The ID4 Resurgence designs are at least interesting, but there's been a general lack of creative or fun designs coming from the west.

I think that's part of why I loved Guardians of the Galaxy so much. The design work in that movie was just dripping with creative takes on simple concepts of design that felt at least moderately practical while staying amusing to see in action. Seriously, the scene with the ships locking their shields to form a barrier had me in tears.