STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

Side Observation:  As Rebels got better and “more mature,” there were less toys to support it.

Where was blind Kanan, buzzcut Ezra, Old Master Maul, Hera in traditional Rebel flightsuit, Thrawn, Ahsoka the White, Kallus in Rebel gear, etc.?

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, Mog said:

Side Observation:  As Rebels got better and “more mature,” there were less toys to support it.

Where was blind Kanan, buzzcut Ezra, Old Master Maul, Hera in traditional Rebel flightsuit, Thrawn, Ahsoka the White, Kallus in Rebel gear, etc.?

I don't have any actual numbers to back this up, but I'm under the distinct impression that the only SW merchandise that consistently sells worth a damn is OT stuff (and maybe the odd new design rehashing an OT one).

Sadly, I think this is partly due to a pile of completely fugly designs coming out of the main franchise, and leaving toy makers with the impression that new SW stuff doesn't sell well, while the good designs from the offshoots languish on drawing boards. <_<

Edit: I hadn't actually watched the video before posting this, and it seems they do have the numbers to back it up. :lol: 

Bottom line here I think?  They need to make something good enough that people actually want to buy it.  Whether that's the movies themselves, the merchandise, or both (I'm voting both), I don't know, but the current situation really sucks.  I know they have a history of oversaturating the market with crap no one really wants to buy, but now you're oversaturating the market with things that people actively dislike because of the source material, not just because they're boring products.

Edited by Chronocidal

Another problem is the figure distributions. The stock pile cases with higher numbers of less desirable figures like Rose ect. Making more desireable figures like Troopers, Darth Revan, OT characters ect in limited quantities.

Chris

These days my son and I only buy 6" Black Series Storm Trooper or Clone Trooper figures. We've always been trooper fans more than Jedi fans.

When my son was a kid, we had (and still have) a huge collection of 3.75" Clone Wars figures (Clones, Droids Jedi) and vehicles. Used to have some amazing battles. Now he's a teen, actually since he was about 11 or 12 we switched to the  Black Series 6".

I'm an Original Trilogy fan and my son and I are both huge Clone Wars fans.

Hoping to get some cool new 6" Black Series Clone Trooper figures when the  new episodes of Clone Wars air.

And we'll also definitely be buying the Black Series 6" General Grevious when it's released.

^^As much as I'd like to see Hasbro release more Clone Troopers in support of the last Clone Wars story (stories) finally eventually streaming*, I highly doubt Hasbro will release any figures to commemorate the occasion.

We're more likely to see figures to support Disney's newest thangs in Star Wars:  Resistance, if anything. :mellow:

Regarding distribution, Hasbro really needs to change it up and go for some sort of pre-order process to help figure out demand (pun somewhat intended), at least for its more collector-focused products.  If no one wants Poe in his Last Jedi outfit but tons of people are pre-ordering Sabine, perhaps you short Poe's numbers and up Sabine's numbers before you go into full production.

* I believe one of the final Clone Wars stories will involve how Ahsoka and Rex make it out of Order 66.  And again, for all its initial meh-ness, Rebels did do a really nice job of concluding the story for a few of those key carryover characters from Clone Wars.

Edited by Mog

To be entirely fair to Resistance, I'd buy toys and models of the ships we see in there any day of the week over any of the other crap getting shoveled out for the new movies.  I love me some in-universe kitbashing. ^_^ 

Come to think of it.. Bandai/Hasbro/Revell could probably really make a killing if they capitalized on the "Uglies" as a thing.  Release an Armored Core style kit/toy series of ships that have interchangeable parts... bits of X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, B-Wings, Z-95s, Ties, and whatever else, and then let you mix and match the parts to build custom ships.

You listening out there marketers? I'm giving you a freebie here. :p 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:29 AM, Chronocidal said:

I don't have any actual numbers to back this up, but I'm under the distinct impression that the only SW merchandise that consistently sells worth a damn is OT stuff (and maybe the odd new design rehashing an OT one).

Back when Clone Wars was airing, Hasbro sold a shit ton of figures and vehicles, well at least before they regressed back to the 5 points articulation.

• 2 weeks later...

Am ok with the 1/5000 scale...space and cost is becoming a premium for me...

Thanks for bringing up the revell though...at least we have a price benchmark to go against...i saw amazon was selling a LED kit for the revell 1/2700 SD at abt 70-80usd, so add in the revell kit and probably have an alternative if cost is too high on the bandai..

I'm perfectly okay with that scale, I don't need another giant kit, and it'll keep the cost a bit more manageable compared to the PG Falcon.  If they're going with the published 1600 m size, that should wind up being about 13 inches long.  I'm still expecting upwards of $200, but we've got plenty of time to save up. ^_^ 

I'm personally glad it looks like they're going with the ESB bridge design, but I also wonder if they'll include optional parts for the ANH structure.

Edited by Chronocidal

Seems to be two versions available for pre-order at USAGundam Store, which is a totally legit place to buy from. I think I'm in for the cheaper one. Both appear to include LED lighting...

https://www.usagundamstore.com/collections/new/products/1-5000-star-destroyer-star-wars-standared-ver

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/1-5000-star-destroyer

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Seems to be two versions available for pre-order at USAGundam Store, which is a totally legit place to buy from. I think I'm in for the cheaper one. Both appear to include LED lighting...

https://www.usagundamstore.com/collections/new/products/1-5000-star-destroyer-star-wars-standared-ver

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/1-5000-star-destroyer

so the Premium Edition one seems to come with both the "normal" sidewalls, and clear versions for lighting with the included LED system.

Edited by slide

On 2/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, wm cheng said:

WOW!  What a beauty, that's what I've been waiting for.  Does it say 7,000 yen? including lighting?  That seems a bit too good to be true.

On 2/14/2019 at 5:56 PM, seti88 said:

There are two prices listed...12k for the version with the LEDs, and 7k for the version without LEDs..

not too bad either I must say...just that what the release timing in August is making my head and wallet hurt ..

I'll be getting 2 of the normal releases I think... one to mess up and practice and figure out how to wire-diagram/solder things again, and another for after said practice

... and at a scale that doesn't Launch my OCD-brain into the stratosphere...

Edited by slide

Just now, derex3592 said:

Those are actually pretty cool figures! 

@slide, getting two is probably NOT the worst idea!  This will be (hopfully) my first fully lit LED kit...

same... I'm going to need a soldering Iron... 

So... it seems a great many panels will be molded in clear plastic to allow the light effects to shine. Will that mean they need to be painted mostly grey? That’d be annoying.