STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

You know, I can understand the merchandising angle to a point, but throwing out a bunch of new designs to use in a movie set 15 minutes before Episode IV just makes me wonder why those designs were never seen nor used again at any time after.

They also need to stop giving every putz of an Imperial official their own (fugly) shuttle design. The classic shuttle was good enough for Vader and the Emperor, so with all the budget going toward the Death Star, who keeps approving these custom rides? :p

I know I'm being a stick in the mud, and honestly I'd probably give all these new fangled designs a pass and even buy them all if they looked good.... but they really just don't.

Edited by Chronocidal

You know, I can understand the merchandising angle to a point, but throwing out a bunch of new designs to use in a movie set 15 minutes before Episode IV just makes me wonder why those designs were never seen nor used again at any time after.

They also need to stop giving every putz of an Imperial official their own (fugly) shuttle design. The classic shuttle was good enough for Vader and the Emperor, so with all the budget going toward the Death Star, who keeps approving these custom rides? :p

I know I'm being a stick in the mud, and honestly I'd probably give all these new fangled designs a pass and even buy them all if they looked good.... but they really just don't.

You're not wrong though. Especially considering the timeline.

The X-Wing is the only thing that endures in either direction of the timeline.

Otherwise, all these different designs, especially from the Imperials, is asinine. New(old) TIEs? His shuttle? Even in the new canon books and comics, Lambda shuttles are pretty common.

I think what gets me most of all is that we just spent the better part of a movie watching upgraded X-Wings and barely-different TIEs duking it out over several planets within the atmosphere. But now you're telling me that, 30 years ago, they had a version that's specifically for atmospheric flight? :blink:

... Please please tell me they didn't actually put landing gear on a star destroyer. Plus, that's an ESB-style bridge, meaning the people in charge of these kits probably haven't even seen the movie trailer yet, because it uses the original ANH version.

I'm just getting more and more confused about who on earth they're getting to design this junk. Both the kits, and the movie designs. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

Pretty sure it's just a display stand. Kinda greebled, to "fit in" to the overall look.

I'm very tempted---because while you can tell it's not even half as crisp as the Bandai (and maybe not even the old MPC/Ertl), it will be decently sized.

Is it just me, or is the command tower/bridge too low/short? It's the opposite problem that the Rebels one has. Is it THAT hard to get the proportions right?

Tower Hobbies has more pics (click the small texts)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHPA&P=ML

The SD landing gear is a set of panels that fold down from the hull. Aside from this ridonculous concept, the kit has quite a decent price/size/detail level ratio.

Tower Hobbies has more pics (click the small texts)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHPA&P=ML

The SD landing gear is a set of panels that fold down from the hull. Aside from this ridonculous concept, the kit has quite a decent price/size/detail level ratio.

Eh, if you ignore the entire underside of the ship, it might be passable.. but sadly, unless you mount it upside down or against a wall, that's very likely what's going to be right in your face if you mount it on a shelf at anything above eye-level. Freakin' battery door and speaker holes, on top of the "landing gear." <_<

It should be a fairly nice size, assuming they scaled it based on the 1.6 km length at 1/4000 it should be almost 16 inches long. For something that big though, the details visible on the bridge look awfully mushy.

Edited by Chronocidal

Maybe they are selling the plans to the Death Star :D

Lol! Those Rogue One Rebels are suckers...making things so much more difficult than they need to be. ;)

On a different note, isn't today Force Friday? I just went to Walmart and there wasn't anything new out. :(

Did you guys notice the 1/72 Red 1 X-Wing is a "special set" and it looks like it comes with the Mecha size version as well?

Also, what are those things in front of the TIE and U-Wing set. They look like some type of cargo pods or possibly the Tank, I can't tell.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Hmmm, might grab a couple of those x-wings if they come with a different set of markings and base than the ANH version, but otherwise I'd rather collect more Death Star baseplates. :lol:

U-wing isn't a bad design, but ehhh.. the new tie looks like someone got bored and glued spare parts to a giant suppository. Nothing really aesthetically pleasing about the design to me. :huh:

I was able to get a 6" Black Series Death Trooper and K2SO today. :) they also had a Jynn Erso and Cassian Andor but I passed on them. Anyone know if here are plans for a Shore Trooper and Tanker?

Chris