STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

More updates from the Tokyo Toy Show.

Bandai announced a Host of Star Wars Toys, Takara Tomy also announced quite a few items including Tomica.

Not sure how this will affect things overall as Bandai and Mattel got an agreement to release each others toy products.

Really don't give a crap about a Bandai branded electronic X-wing. Probably be twice as much as the Fine Molds version, and I don't see any different details, save for maybe the dug-out torpedo trenches (which I can't remember if the Fine Molds kit did). Probably will also be pre-painted, same as they did for the electronic Star Trek kits they did a while back. For those, all the Aztec paneling was worthwhile.. for this? Nope.

I really can't see how they plan to improve on anything already done.

Make me a true 1/32 scale X-Wing, with part molds sourced from the original pieces used in the filming models (Saturn V sections, J-79 engines, and the like), and we'll talk.

Edited by Chronocidal

Chronocidal.

Bandai new releases are all NEW toolings, easy to see if you compare the new pics with ones of the Fine Molds ones.

I will see what comes later makes sense for them to do guaranteed sellers first.

The new Star Destroyer looks good and also seems lit.

Not sure how much kits they will release in addition to S.H. Figuarts, etc announced Toys.

As for Fine Molds kits get them now as current stock is all that there is and will be.

Oh, I know they're new toolings. What I mean is that they don't offer anything different. It's just another 1/48th x-wing, and it appears to be loaded with features I don't care about, but would have to pay for anyway.

I want someone to actually produce a BIG kit. The ship isn't that huge; I have 1/48 aircraft that are bigger than a 1/32 x-wing would be.

With all the Japanese companies making large size 1/48 and 1/32 military kits, I have a hard time believing they'd have any trouble selling a 1/32 X-wing. It would only be 15.3 inches long, smaller than a 1/48 F-14, which everyone makes. Really though, I don't care if it's a Japanese manufacturer, AMT/Ertl, or whoever else, I just want to know why no one has ever made a decent 1/32 X-wing.. it's just depressing.

And the pro-shop one sucks ass. It's bigger, but you have to either rebuild 90% of the parts, or start over from scratch. Scratchbuilding one would probably be easier than making that one not suck. It's actually part of the reason I bought a 3D printer.. I need one to remake all the screwed up parts on the kit I have.

Edited by Chronocidal

Not sure when the Takara To my licence becomes active, Bandai is said to be Jan. 15th 2015.

The 2 biggest problem Toy-makers in Japan got it just, not sure if those bandai toys are covered under the Mattel/Banzai agreement due to the US licence.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do they have giant soccer-goalie gloves?

Because that's how ThreeA does hand sculpts on their original figures. it's just one of their stylistic things.

Edited by anime52k8

• 5 weeks later...

So, uh.. have to agree about the Toyfair stuff.. really disappointing.. I don't understand why people think "nostalgia" means "we love completely inferior products that have no articulation at all!" <_<

But what's the deal with that big X-Wing?

Toy-Fair-2014-Star-Wars-Hasbro-111.jpg

The engines look like a moderate improvement over the large scaled FX mold from years back (ignoring the blocky structure under the rear sections), but the rest of it looks.. well, quite a bit worse, the guns and nosecone in particular. What's this mold even meant to be?

I saw this first hand at my local TRU, and I gotta say, what a waste of plastic!!!! They want 35 bucks for a lump of plastic that doesn't do anything. The wings don't even articulate! The only moving parts on the whole thing are the nose landing skid, and the removeable R2D2.

On the bright side, the more recent X-wings (FX mold) are on clearance for roughly the same price as this.

......waaaaiit.

You're saying.... they made an x-wing... that can't make its wings into an X.

I can't even.

On the other hand though.... $35 doesnt sound too bad for a giant fixer-upper x-wing to retool and scratch build onto. Lack of features aside, it's still a nice base to work from, and you could probably engineer a better wing mechanism yourself than any mass produced version would have.

Unless of course, you mean they actually went so far as to mold the wings as a single solid piece, in whichcase they should be shot.

Edited by Chronocidal

For those who don't know, said X-wing is apparently from Hasbro's Hero series. That line has, prior to this, consisted almost entirely of 12 inch figures of Marvel comic characters (with a strange foray into transformers). The figures are all hollow plastic with barely any articulation and minimal paint. Everything in the line has been staggeringly cheap and low quality to the point where you'd think they must be some sort of strange Chinese knock offs because there's no way a major manufacturer with actual licenses would ever release something so crap.

. Everything in the line has been staggeringly cheap and low quality to the point where you'd think they must be some sort of strange Chinese knock offs because there's no way a major manufacturer with actual licenses would ever release something so crap.

Exactly my thoughts on this. I mean, the thing is pretty huge, but not worth 35 bucks. 10 maybe.

Not even sure it's worth trying to customize.

This pic I made, its based on a dream I had over Six years ago. In it an old Luke waiting for an unknown army, ready to attack him. The army troopers resembled a mix between a stormtrooper and Imperial Royal Guard and in shiny black armor with short cape and carrying a flag and the sign on it resembles the Empire logo.

Some carried a Lightsaber, it could be a scene from the upcoming Episode VII but I could be wrong .....

post-1081-0-89393200-1407959900_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...