1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

On 4/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, Saburo said:

Took Ozma out to tighten up its joints and a quick shot. Enjoy! 

Thread has been stagnant since March 22, lets how long it takes for another photo to be posted after this post.

51114613976_0fe71fbf7d_h.jpg

Beautiful - what did you do to tighten the joints?  I have to do that with mine too, I have it on a stand with the legs splayed but now its loosened and the legs just falls and aligns straight down due to the weight of the leg armors.

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Beautiful - what did you do to tighten the joints?  I have to do that with mine too, I have it on a stand with the legs splayed but now its loosened and the legs just falls and aligns straight down due to the weight of the leg armors.

@wm cheng its been a while! For tightening up the hip joints and collar bone joint, I cut small pieces of paper and placed them in the ball joint cups.  As for the other joints I used this product Kiki Joint-fix, just applied a small amount it and it tightens it up well.  The one that I am trying to figure out if there is a way to tighten it up is the crotch fold over section.  The clipping mechanism can’t seem to held together the section with the Armored Parts on anymore, I have to use the stand adapter piece to keep everything locked in place. Let me know if you have any more questions.

12 minutes ago, Saburo said:

@wm cheng its been a while! For tightening up the hip joints and collar bone joint, I cut small pieces of paper and placed them in the ball joint cups.  As for the other joints I used this product Kiki Joint-fix, just applied a small amount it and it tightens it up well.  The one that I am trying to figure out if there is a way to tighten it up is the crotch fold over section.  The clipping mechanism can’t seem to held together the section with the Armored Parts on anymore, I have to use the stand adapter piece to keep everything locked in place. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I remember I was able to tighten the spring that helps to lock that clipping mechanism on the crotch section. The problem is that it's so hard to open that area. :unsure:

4 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I remember I was able to tighten the spring that helps to lock that clipping mechanism on the crotch section. The problem is that it's so hard to open that area. :unsure:

Ok, let me look into that. I was going to try to wrap the ends of the prongs of the diecast piece that locks into the socket with modeling masking take just at add a bit of friction.  Not sure it that will be able to hold the weight of the Armored Boosters.  My other thought is not bothering with it, the DX adapter piece with mini Yeti stand gives the very back heavy Armored Valk quite a bit of stability and is less likely to fall over backwards. 

45 minutes ago, Saburo said:

Ok, let me look into that. I was going to try to wrap the ends of the prongs of the diecast piece that locks into the socket with modeling masking take just at add a bit of friction.  Not sure it that will be able to hold the weight of the Armored Boosters.  My other thought is not bothering with it, the DX adapter piece with mini Yeti stand gives the very back heavy Armored Valk quite a bit of stability and is less likely to fall over backwards. 

Yeah, I think the bracket that comes with the stand is the safe solution for that part.

2 hours ago, Saburo said:

Yeah, I think its the hip joint - at the top of the thighs that controls how far out I can spread the legs?  I haven't looked at it, but can you unscrew it to get to the inside cups?  I thought I might be able just to put some crazy glue or future on the metal ball and be done with it?

8 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Yeah, I think its the hip joint - at the top of the thighs that controls how far out I can spread the legs?  I haven't looked at it, but can you unscrew it to get to the inside cups?  I thought I might be able just to put some crazy glue or future on the metal ball and be done with it?

Yes, there is a screw that holds the Intake assembly (hips), once that taken out it splits in half then you have access to the cups.  There is some rubber/plastic inserts in the cups to provide friction, but in time they wear out.  Future would work well for the ball joint, I did the paper method for a semi-permanent solution.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:51 AM, jvmacross said:

large.1670892605_kawamorivf1A2.jpg.f263f

Love it man!

On 4/16/2021 at 10:53 AM, jvmacross said:

What happened to the product placement pics?

Oh well.....here's mine....

large.730332870_DYRLBUDKOB.jpg.8b13d10dd

awesome! I remember the first time i saw that..

• 3 weeks later...

The recent Chogokin Armored VF-1J pre-order frenzy have made me re-acquaint with other Armored VF-1Js in my collection. I had the HMR version for sometime, but other than quickly slapping on the armor parts & put in a quick pose for the display cabinet, I did not play with it much, until recently..

Back in high school many eons ago, me and mates used to have *R* RPG sessions, and the one mech we would always want to get our hands on was the Armored VF-1..

zklIBob.jpg

We would feel that much more invincible when the GM throws the many Regults our way. Non-withstanding the big diaper pants to protect our crotches :lol:, this is 80's real-mecha chunkiness at one of its best..

QMVaesP.jpg

But it was also the awesome firepower it holds that's the obvious draw. Incoming Itano circus!

fWo3mWN.jpg

This HMR version is generally a real pleasure to handle even at this size, and could see Bandai did make quite some effort to keep as much as possible the base 1J's hip movement for that dynamic A-stance. Minor annoyances would be the hip missiles that fall off too easily and the backpack which will always want to fold down. 

4 minutes ago, MKT said:

The recent Chogokin Armored VF-1J pre-order frenzy have made me re-acquaint with other Armored VF-1Js in my collection. I had the HMR version for sometime, but other than quickly slapping on the armor parts & put in a quick pose for the display cabinet, I did not play with it much, until recently..

Back in high school many eons ago, me and mates used to have *R* RPG sessions, and the one mech we would always want to get our hands on was the Armored VF-1..

zklIBob.jpg

We would feel that much more invincible when the GM throws the many Regults our way. Non-withstanding the big diaper pants to protect our crotches :lol:, this is 80's real-mecha chunkiness at one of its best..

QMVaesP.jpg

But it was also the awesome firepower it holds that's the obvious draw. Incoming Itano circus!

fWo3mWN.jpg

This HMR version is generally a real pleasure to handle even at this size, and could see Bandai did make quite some effort to keep as much as possible the base 1J's hip movement for that dynamic A-stance. Minor annoyances would be the hip missiles that fall off too easily and the backpack which will always want to fold down. 

Nice pics! For the backpack, the HMR has a "lock" for it - after you flip it up, push the entire pack downwards and that should help keep it in place.

8 minutes ago, MKT said:

zklIBob.jpg

QMVaesP.jpg

fWo3mWN.jpg

Excellent shots @MKT and the FEXT Sci-Fi 06 is a great background it make the VF-1J GBP stand out. :good:

Thanks for the compliments guys.. :D

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Nice pics! For the backpack, the HMR has a "lock" for it - after you flip it up, push the entire pack downwards and that should help keep it in place.

I thought that was the problem at first, but I checked & rechecked. Even locked, it still flops down too easily with the weight of the boosters.. But I don't recall those HMR VF-1s with Super/Strike parts having this issue though..

1 hour ago, Saburo said:

Excellent shots @MKT and the FEXT Sci-Fi 06 is a great background it make the VF-1J GBP stand out. :good:

When Sci-Fi 06 was first previewed, I knew I wanted it for non-SW stuff with the imagined pics I have in mind. But in reality, lighting the transparent pieces proved to be challenging for my very amateurish efforts. If the pics look to have strange, off or sloppy lighting, that's because it really is. It's just me randomly placing light sources around to see what looks acceptable to my beginner's eyes. I have even more appreciation now for how you manage to light up your subjects so evenly across the whole pic, not only the foreground, but the background transparent pieces as well on your custom Sci-Fi set, with very deliberate aimed lighting on certain spots to get that reflection off the fighters' canopies or the battroid head lenses.. :hail:

3 hours ago, MKT said:

Thanks for the compliments guys.. :D

I thought that was the problem at first, but I checked & rechecked. Even locked, it still flops down too easily with the weight of the boosters.. But I don't recall those HMR VF-1s with Super/Strike parts having this issue though..

When Sci-Fi 06 was first previewed, I knew I wanted it for non-SW stuff with the imagined pics I have in mind. But in reality, lighting the transparent pieces proved to be challenging for my very amateurish efforts. If the pics look to have strange, off or sloppy lighting, that's because it really is. It's just me randomly placing light sources around to see what looks acceptable to my beginner's eyes. I have even more appreciation now for how you manage to light up your subjects so evenly across the whole pic, not only the foreground, but the background transparent pieces as well on your custom Sci-Fi set, with very deliberate aimed lighting on certain spots to get that reflection off the fighters' canopies or the battroid head lenses.. :hail:

Thank you @MKT, I appreciate your kind words and that you can see what goes into a shot other than just putting a figure on a table and taking a shot.  I know what you mean about the transparent pieces of the Sci-Fi 6, they do tend to give a lot back lighting which can cause the subject to not be illuminated well.  You have a good eye for composition and from what you wrote looks its great that you are working with light sources to offset the backlighting and lighting the figure. 

Drop me a PM if you have any questions and I can offer some suggestions. :D

Edited by Saburo

6 hours ago, MKT said:

zklIBob.jpg

QMVaesP.jpg

fWo3mWN.jpg

Great shots! Looks way better than anything I've done IMO. :hail:

Would love to see more from you! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 1:30 PM, MKT said:

This might be old news to some, but... I only just came across this:

MacrossJunkie’s albums | Flickr

So much pron in one place. Just.. wow!! @Macross Junkie :hail::hail::hail:

Haha, thanks! I wish I had time to do more as I have a backlog of stuff, but ever since a person on my team at work quit over the holidays in December, I've been stuck with like 3 people's worth of work and have had little time to do anything else. Perhaps someday I'll be able to get time to get back to things...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I'm moving in the fall, I'm going to start slowly packing up my valkyrie collection over the next couple of months in preparation for the move instead of trying to box them all up at one time. :blink:

I'll photograph some as I go along. Guess I'll start with the YF-30 since it's a favorite of mine and it's been on my mind with all the recent tomato soup talk. :lol:

51328675897_941eb0d2a3_o.jpg

51330131809_85e5805535_o.jpg