1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Try having two light sources or having a white board/ paper act as a bounce card. You can have both lights even or have one more diffused than the other. Here's my set up. The lights look a lot harsher because they're being photographed directly but they're actually very soft white lights. Notice the light diffusing lampshades. I just used an Iphone 4s... one day I'll get a better camera, lol. Sadly the regult was destroyed by USPS upon delivery.

post-151-0-05901900-1438547511_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-57357500-1438547511_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-65181300-1438547509_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-49157700-1438547510_thumb.jpg

Ignore the Toynami bag on the floor! lol.

Wow! Pretty awesome shot with an iphone!

I agree that looking at Saburo's pics help me gain interest in taking pics of my valks. It also made me appreciate the efforts to creating those fantastic looking shots.

Edited by wmkjr

Try having two light sources or having a white board/ paper act as a bounce card. You can have both lights even or have one more diffused than the other. Here's my set up. The lights look a lot harsher because they're being photographed directly but they're actually very soft white lights. Notice the light diffusing lampshades. I just used an Iphone 4s... one day I'll get a better camera, lol. Sadly the regult was destroyed by USPS upon delivery.

attachicon.gifIMG_3601 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3600 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4006 (Large).JPGattachicon.gif01 regult title card (Large).jpg

Wait?!!! :huh: That's a 1/48 scale that must be huge? Do you still have a 1/48 scale VF-1 on hand?

@VF-18S Hornet.. Nice photos! B)) I really like your choice of background material too!

Thanks I'll let you know that I am mad at myself for not thinking of using my old college graduation gown in the first place. :angry: All those hours wasted creating a black background for my Valks, when I had the thing I needed as a makeshift background piece hanging in my closet for a very long time collecting dust. <_<

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Saburo has inspired me to lift my game. And after playing around with cameras, tripods, lighting, backgrounds, and post production, the attempt I made a few days ago fell very flat.

Here's the best of what I was able to accomplish:

attachicon.gif026.JPG

attachicon.gif029.JPG

attachicon.gif032.JPG

After re-evaluating a lot of things (and nearly breaking my VF-171 in a near catastrophic accident), this was my attempt tonight:

attachicon.gif005.JPG

attachicon.gif012.JPG

attachicon.gif008.JPG

attachicon.gif007.JPG

I now have a renewed appreciation for how hard it is to make these things look as good as Saburo does. My hat is off to you guys who do this so well, and seemingly so easily.

Hope I can improve!

Yes, I knew you would take up your camera eventually! You've got the background, the eye and awesome resource for photography.

I've got a Canon 7D with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens, zoomed to something between 20 and 28mm, on a tripod. The back drop was black construction paper and the base is a black, foam core seat protector from my son's child seat in my car. I had to improvise! Lighting is from what must be an antique fluorescent desk lamp, held by hand until the lighting looks even.

The first batch didn't look right to me and then I remembered I'd left my lens IS switch on. If you do this on a tripod, the stabilisation can sometimes get confused and cause blur because there is no camera shake. The second set I remembered to turn it off and the images are much sharper.

Yes, I directly uploaded because I got lazy. I'll go back and link to my Google account today. They should look much better then.

If I can make a suggestion, pick up the Canon 50mm 1.8, its an great lens and the best part its cheap ($125 USD). When I had my 7D, I took all my shots with it.

attachicon.gifIMG_3601 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3600 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4006 (Large).JPGattachicon.gif01 regult title card (Large).jpg

Too late I can't unsee the Toynami bag Exo! Great shots of the Regult!

Wait?!!! :huh: That's a 1/48 scale that must be huge? Do you still have a 1/48 scale VF-1 on hand?

Thanks I'll let you know that I am mad at myself for not thinking of using my old college graduation gown in the first place. :angry: All those hours wasted creating a black background for my Valks, when I had the thing I needed as a makeshift background piece hanging in my closet for a very long time collecting dust. <_<

VF-18 for a good cheap black background, I went over to a fabric store and bought a yard of 100% Kona Cotton Fabric, probably cost you about $6.

Edited by Saburo

Yes, I knew you would take up your camera eventually! You've got the background, the eye and awesome resource for photography.

If I can make a suggestion, pick up the Canon 50mm 1.8, its an great lens and the best part its cheap ($125 USD). When I had my 7D, I took all my shots with it.

Thanks Saburo!

I used to own the nifty fifty and found it a fun little lens. But then I bought a 60mm macro and found it was so much sharper. Granted it didn't go down to f/1.8 but most of the images I took at that aperture were very soft and I found I didn't take many portraits that really benefited from this wide an aperture. Before I knew it, my 60mm was being used for nearly everything I used to use the 50mm for. So I sold it.

I regretted it later and bought one again. Same deal though - when I bought the 17-55mm the versatility was just so much more convenient, that I found the 50mm never made it out of the bag. So I sold my second copy.

FYI, I'm using an aperture of f/8 to f/10 for the shots, at about 25mm on the cropped body, with the camera reasonably close to the subject. I find it works out much better for the depth of field needed to fit the valks in. At 50mm on the zoom lens, the depth of field is still too shallow unless I really stop it down. And then the image gets a bit soft. So ironically, I'm not using the macro lens for anything other than extreme detail close up shots, and that's usually when I'm working on a model kit and need to illustrate something.

For me, the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens is perfect so far. It's a fantastic lens but not cheap. It spends about 80% of the time on the 7D, with my other 3 lenses making up the remaining 20%.

I shwear baby...

54079-thats-not-mine-gif-Austin-Powe-npC

LOL :lol:

VF-18 for a good cheap black background, I went over to a fabric store and bought a yard of 100% Kona Cotton Fabric, probably cost you about $6.

Thanks for the advice, there are plenty of fabric stores here in Delaware maybe Bed Bath and Beyond might have it, I'll look for it.

Thanks Saburo!

I used to own the nifty fifty and found it a fun little lens. But then I bought a 60mm macro and found it was so much sharper. Granted it didn't go down to f/1.8 but most of the images I took at that aperture were very soft and I found I didn't take many portraits that really benefited from this wide an aperture. Before I knew it, my 60mm was being used for nearly everything I used to use the 50mm for. So I sold it.

I regretted it later and bought one again. Same deal though - when I bought the 17-55mm the versatility was just so much more convenient, that I found the 50mm never made it out of the bag. So I sold my second copy.

FYI, I'm using an aperture of f/8 to f/10 for the shots, at about 25mm on the cropped body, with the camera reasonably close to the subject. I find it works out much better for the depth of field needed to fit the valks in. At 50mm on the zoom lens, the depth of field is still too shallow unless I really stop it down. And then the image gets a bit soft. So ironically, I'm not using the macro lens for anything other than extreme detail close up shots, and that's usually when I'm working on a model kit and need to illustrate something.

For me, the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens is perfect so far. It's a fantastic lens but not cheap. It spends about 80% of the time on the 7D, with my other 3 lenses making up the remaining 20%.

The 17-55mm f/2.8 is an great lens, that was going to be my next purchase for my 7D, but things went in a slightly different direction.

We should keep this on topic, and discuss further in the newly resurrected thread. :D

I shwear baby...

54079-thats-not-mine-gif-Austin-Powe-npC

LOL! Dammit Exo, I saw your post just as I was taking a drink, I almost spit up my drink. :lol:

LOL :lol:

Thanks for the advice, there are plenty of fabric stores here in Delaware maybe Bed Bath and Beyond might have it, I'll look for it.

;)

post-151-0-35487800-1438566022_thumb.jpg

That's Mike Salzo's Regult. It's a good price too. $200 for the resin kit if I remember correctly. I customized it for someone here. Trying to figure out how to fix it.

Well the unthinkable has happened to me as I just flushed 200+ dollars down the drain. :angry: In the middle of transforming my VF-0D into battroid mode, and I had succeeded too with the exception of one thing, the left leg was to stiff to get it in a proper A stance, and then it pops off. Turns out I got a defective VF-0D from Ami Ami when that backorder came in since the right leg had a good ball joint for manuverability and the left leg did not, only half of a ball joint. I don't now how they (Arcadia) missed this, I cannot get back in. I also discovered that the legs joints can pull out to give them room to manuever in battroid mode, something not shown in the instructions, not that it mattered now. Now I afraid this is going to be the same with VF-0A :angry: Did anyone have this problem?

post-269-0-31790900-1438629224_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-33794500-1438629241_thumb.jpg

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Yeah, I remember he mentioned that he fixed it before. It's good thing that's the only bad thing that could happen to VF-0D. I will be more devastated if some of those pointy wing tips/things are bent or broken. There's no fix on that unless you break the other ones as well to make it look uniform. Just saying. :unsure:

Well the unthinkable has happened to me as I just flushed 200+ dollars down the drain. :angry: In the middle of transforming my VF-0D into battroid mode, and I had succeeded too with the exception of one thing, the left leg was to stiff to get it in a proper A stance, and then it pops off. Turns out I got a defective VF-0D from Ami Ami when that backorder came in since the right leg had a good ball joint for manuverability and the left leg did not, only half of a ball joint. I don't now how they (Arcadia) missed this, I cannot get back in. I also discovered that the legs joints can pull out to give them room to manuever in battroid mode, something not shown in the instructions, not that it mattered now. Now I afraid this is going to be the same with VF-0A :angry: Did anyone have this problem?

That's rather unfortunate.. sorry to see another Zero-D break. Yes Jenius was able to perform a fix of sorts so he's your best bet for help. Its a real shame that this has happened as the Zero-D is a lovely thing to handle but seeing another case of the leg separation issue will definitely make me refrain from handling any of mine too much if at all. I just don't want to find out if any are faulty.

Edited by spanner76

That's the only thing I really don't like with Arcadia's joint. They always use now the half-metal/half-plastic. And it's not even glued permanently. It will just get loose by pulling and moving since the joints are super tight initially.

I still prefer the VF-1 thigh whole metal joint that were sandwiched by 2 plastic halves and inserted on the thigh area / air intake. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same with the VF-0's.

But we're forgiving people and we like Arcadia. So no worries. ^_^

Yeah, Arcadia/Yamato is always forgiven, but if its Bandai... there be heads to roll!

I just don't get why Arcadia can screw up, but no one admits to it and they can do no wrong!

(sorry it just really bugs me that Arcadia seems to always get a free ride - ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now...) I'm getting less and less satisfied with Arcadia with every release - especially the prices they want to charge.

Sorry to spam this but my pics from the other day are on a previous page. Thought I'd attempt to upload these via Google+ instead of the forum software. Hopefully they're not quite so compressed now. They should take you to the full size pic if you click them.

For those that missed it, I wanted to show the different results obtained by changing the background and base, as well as spending a bit of time tweaking color settings and balance after the shots were taken.

Feel free to ask any questions via PM. I love talking camera tech!

VF-171 First attempt

022cropped.JPG

VF-171 Second attempt

008cropped.JPG

007.JPG

010cropped.JPG

YF-29 (First and only attempt)

029%20reworked.JPG

032%20reworked.JPG

VF-1J First Attempt

026.JPG

VF-1J Second attempt

005cropped.JPG

012cropped.JPG

@mickyg pics are looking much better on Google+, the compression on MW is quite a bit (I understand why it is set that way). Photos are looking good keep posting pics! :D

@no3ljm

Here's your photo request.

20265563162_8c86da8b62_h.jpg

and an extra.

20266181762_c703518874_h.jpg

Love it! There goes my new fave wallpaper. Both phone and laptop. :wub:

Thanks Saburo! Salamat! ;)

That's a big sucker!! I wish Yamato had released their 1/60 Regult as a completed toy.. Would definitely have paid the premium they would demand nowadays!

Sorry to spam this but my pics from the other day are on a previous page. Thought I'd attempt to upload these via Google+ instead of the forum software. Hopefully they're not quite so compressed now. They should take you to the full size pic if you click them.

For those that missed it, I wanted to show the different results obtained by changing the background and base, as well as spending a bit of time tweaking color settings and balance after the shots were taken.

Feel free to ask any questions via PM. I love talking camera tech!

VF-171 First attempt

022cropped.JPG

VF-171 Second attempt

008cropped.JPG

007.JPG

010cropped.JPG

YF-29 (First and only attempt)

029%20reworked.JPG

032%20reworked.JPG

VF-1J First Attempt

026.JPG

VF-1J Second attempt

005cropped.JPG

012cropped.JPG

Very nice photos Mickyg! Love the panel lined Hikaru J! B))

See when I don't scroll up, I miss out on all the good stuff.

Love those Lightning pics Saburo! The aircraft skin looks metallic with the lighting.

Also those pics look great coming from the Google+ MickyG!

Derex, I have not even looked at mine since they went in Battroid for QC checks. Once I heard of the cracked triangles I left them there.. I bought 3 because of how much I loved them in the show especially in the blue/green color. I just had to have a squad and it literally blew up in our faces like most CF's do in the shows.

Man, I really wish the 171 Cannon Fodder was a solid release, I don't have a 171, and really love that color! Ohh well....

I have a CF171 which is currently in battroid which I after seeing mickyg's pics I might switch back to fighter! Im just a little afraid of handling it too much as its already a bit sloppy.. I got it 2nd hand..

Saw the Anymoon review and tried the fix myself. I managed to successfully seperate the intake joint from the leg and found out the idiots had glued the ball nub (as I am calling it) to the metal, and did not let it dry as they connected the ball joint to the plastic piece that connecto the intake. Had to use pliers to get the nub loose. Now I gotta figure out what glue to apply to plastic and metal, get some sandpaper, the nub is a little rough.

post-269-0-74556800-1438736020_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-55828900-1438736023_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-34832900-1438736028_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-73220900-1438736066_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-89705300-1438736068_thumb.jpg

Very nice photos Mickyg! Love the panel lined Hikaru J! B))

Thanks! I do too. I'd love to actually finish my NSAWC custom but that's probably still months away. Lots of other life things to get out of the way first. In the meantime, it's my one and only VF-1 and not a bad one to have, in my opinion.

Edited by mickyg

Saw the Anymoon review and tried the fix myself. I managed to successfully seperate the intake joint from the leg and found out the idiots had glued the ball nub (as I am calling it) to the metal, and did not let it dry as they connected the ball joint to the plastic piece that connecto the intake. Had to use pliers to get the nub loose. Now I gotta figure out what glue to apply to plastic and metal, get some sandpaper, the nub is a little rough.

After you're done with the repair, can you post it also on the maintenance thread for reference: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41401

Thanks. And good luck on the repairs. :)

Thanks! I do too. I'd love to actually finish my NSAWC custom but that's probably still months away. Lots of other life things to get out of the way first. In the meantime, it's my one and only VF-1 and not a bad one to have, in my opinion.

Great photos mickyg! ;)

Yes! Great to see the Vaseline shots again! I hope you can get it back in shape as I know you were saving up for it.

Edit: Since this is the top of the next page here's another pic:

20110434610_fa8c26a066_b.jpg

Edited by wmkjr