1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

well there's proof that a Macross fighter design is aerodynamically competent! ok it does look a little shaky in some spots but is a little windy and its not flying particularly fast which can make it more susceptible to rough air.

either way that looked fantastic! B))

Kawamori kinda knows what he's doing, eh? ;)

I wonder if Mr K is actually from the future and the whole Macross story actually did happen in some way or another! its just too much of a coincidence how good the Valkyrie happen to be! The man is brilliant but something just doesn't add up.. :blink:

yeah :p we should have 3 hard points for tv style reaction missiles. but dyrl is correct with only two hard points w/ twin reaction paired on the outside when couple with a micro missile box.

(close up at 2:00)

That is very interesting! The pic posted before with the head on shot of the formation, certainly looks like 3 hardpoints. And both these references are from DYRL (the still and the video). Guess there were some animation liberties?

Yes Hornet,

That is my Flickr account.

You should know that I am JPH gallery but you probably already know that from my photos.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Guest davidwhangchoi

That is very interesting! The pic posted before with the head on shot of the formation, certainly looks like 3 hardpoints. And both these references are from DYRL (the still and the video). Guess there were some animation liberties?

yeah, even in this opening scene there's a huge error. (i just caught it) what would be cool is if they released an adaptor to make the reaction missiles look like they are on the tv style 3 hard points.

you know it probably wouldn't be that difficult to have a 3 hard point wing 3d printed for the VF-1.. ^_^

I think this had been discussed before. Swapping out the wings is the tricky part -- I think it would require disassembling the toy, as the Yamarcadia wings are not removable the way the Bandai Hi-Metals are. Not to mention the fact that the 3D printed wings wouldn't have any of the tampo markings on it. IMO, it's too much of an effort and too much possibility for it to look worse than the existing compromise in exchange for a relatively minor increase in anime-accuracy.

Edited by SuperSenpai

it is actually easy to dis-assemble a yamcadia wing since it is not glued. With a video on how it is done, I think the most scared collector can be pushed to do it. Tampo marking is a bit of an issue since water slide decals needs to be sealed in order to be protected and stickers are ugly.

While overall it is do-able (even with limited modeling skill), I have to agree that it really requires effort and more money that it is not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

well there's proof that a Macross fighter design is aerodynamically competent! ok it does look a little shaky in some spots but is a little windy and its not flying particularly fast which can make it more susceptible to rough air.

either way that looked fantastic! B))

After numerous consultations with my resident Aeronautics expert (my dad and his 28 years of flight experience), he says that the designs are not optimal. Most have too little wing area, and not enough camber on the dorsal fuselage to produce adequate lift. Of course the only things he has to go off of is the toys, and line art. He also says (particularly in the case of the Y/VF-19 and later series fighters) that there is considerable parasite drag created by the humps on the back of the fighter. Now, most real fighters don't have that problem, and there's really no telling how that would affect the aerodynamics, and looking at line art we can't really see the camber in the fuselage that could really be there. We have seen RC planes inspired by macross designs, that work so there's something going on...

... We have seen RC planes inspired by macross designs, that work so there's something going on...

In RC, everything can fly as long as you put a powerful engine !

Same in real life in fact, you can make an oil tanker fly as long as you have enough power !! :)

After numerous consultations with my resident Aeronautics expert (my dad and his 28 years of flight experience), he says that the designs are not optimal. Most have too little wing area, and not enough camber on the dorsal fuselage to produce adequate lift. Of course the only things he has to go off of is the toys, and line art. He also says (particularly in the case of the Y/VF-19 and later series fighters) that there is considerable parasite drag created by the humps on the back of the fighter. Now, most real fighters don't have that problem, and there's really no telling how that would affect the aerodynamics, and looking at line art we can't really see the camber in the fuselage that could really be there. We have seen RC planes inspired by macross designs, that work so there's something going on...

if it were possible to build exact flying models of each Valkyrie design, it would be very interesting to see which designs are capable of flight! As moustik said, if you have enough power to overcome design shortfalls then I guess you can make anything fly! :D

But many Valks would have been designed for non atmospheric flight conditions so aerodynamics being only a secondary concern. But you can always sprinkle some anime magic dust and then it'll flight perfect! :p

I love that Regult, let's hope that Arcadia could grant us wish:)

hehe! here's an original Yamato kit for sale.. price = pass!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macross-Yamato-1-60-REGULT-HDP-KIT-BRAND-NEW-UNOPENED-UNPAINTED-DISCONTINUED-/281616297087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4191a3ac7f

Those colors are super rich! some photoshop trickery going on here I assume! :D

Its a shame they didn't come out with colors closer to this.. :rolleyes: I think the more pale colors aren't so good. Still its great to own them! ^_^

photoshop would've been nicer to use, but it's just simple nef/raw post-processing.

I actually wanted to reproduce the paler colors, but didn't have the right lighting equipment...

:bump:

Edited by treatment