1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Love your angelbird treatment derex3592!!!

Damn I want one of those!

Not bad pics with the ipad camera, I didn't think the camera on it would be that good, must try out mine.

I got some time to take some GERWALK and battroid pics.

So does the wash/weathering or something cover up those horrendous clear sticker edges? On the larger stickers I can trim the edges so they look fine but on smaller stickers like the "No Steps" I just can't trim them down, they're too small and won't stick. I noticed in your pics it's very hard to see the edges on your "No Steps."

I was feeling particularly crazy one day and cut every single sticker (even all the "No Steps") down before stickering my Cavelier... after seeing the result I wish i had taken the time over the years and done every single Valk that way! Especially the dark colored one's..It's a pain but the result and eyestrain is well worth it!

So does the wash/weathering or something cover up those horrendous clear sticker edges? On the larger stickers I can trim the edges so they look fine but on smaller stickers like the "No Steps" I just can't trim them down, they're too small and won't stick. I noticed in your pics it's very hard to see the edges on your "No Steps."

I just trim every sticker with an xacto knife. Even the tiny little downward arrows on the left side of the cockpit below each pilot. As long as I make sure the surface is clean, the stickers stay fine. In the case of my Elint, I did the weathering first because if I screwed up and had to rub off paint, it would ruin the stickers. After I did the weathering, I put a gloss clear coat on top, then did the stickers, another coat of gloss, then lightly sprayed the stickers with the appropriate colors I used on the valk to tone the stickers down so they would match the weathering.

What I do for trimming the "no step" stickers is I trim a row of them at a time. I run my knife down along the top edge, then the bottom edge, then finally the sides of each "no step". It helps keep them in place better so they aren't moving around as I cut, compared to cutting them in their entirety individually. I also keep a fingernail pressed on the sticker being cut to further help keep it in place.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I just trim every sticker with an xacto knife. Even the tiny little downward arrows on the left side of the cockpit below each pilot. As long as I make sure the surface is clean, the stickers stay fine. In the case of my Elint, I did the weathering first because if I screwed up and had to rub off paint, it would ruin the stickers. After I did the weathering, I put a gloss clear coat on top, then did the stickers, another coat of gloss, then lightly sprayed the stickers with the appropriate colors I used on the valk to tone the stickers down so they would match the weathering.

What I do for trimming the "no step" stickers is I trim a row of them at a time. I run my knife down along the top edge, then the bottom edge, then finally the sides of each "no step". It helps keep them in place better so they aren't moving around as I cut, compared to cutting them in their entirety individually. I also keep a fingernail pressed on the sticker being cut to further help keep it in place.

My Xacto skills must suck. I tried doing that with the No step stickers and couldn't quite cut all the way through them. I wound up with a mess. And not a terribly straight line either. Like I said, larger stickers for for me. I'll even individually cut out letters/numbers and clean out the insides so there's none of that opaque between anything. But those little ones always kill me.

You could maybe place and hold down the thin edge of a ruler down on top of the stickers to both put pressure on the stickers to keep them in place and also to ensure a straight cut. I find that for especially troublesome pieces that are both tiny and have curves or lots of angles, taking them off the sticker sheet and placing them on a blank spot on the sticker sheet helps since it gives a better hold. I then finish cutting the sticker and then peel it off and apply. I had already started cutting the sticker before then so I don't worry about taking the additional sticker layer off along with it since I didn't cut the entire shape of the sticker on top of it.

The ones I hate most are the white "No Step" and other thin lined, tiny white markings because they are so hard to see the edges of while trimming, even against the light greenish backing.

I got them from a nice guy on the forums here who sold me his water slide decals, photo etch parts and the glow-in-the-dark stickers that came with his unassembled sdf-1 kit over a year ago. He wasn't going to use them. I paid it forward by giving the glow-in-the-dark stickers to another fellow member

DANG IT!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always thought they should have been a bit more on the bluish side rather than greenish for both the 1/48 and 1/60 versions.

It really depends on the release. The TV version has a more greenish hue to them. The DYRL ones are a more dark blue hue as far as the 1/60 versions are concerned.

I only have 1 set of 1/48 normal color one that have been sitting in it's box for a couple of years and a Stealth colored one which is awesome.

Edited by Loop

It really depends on the release. The TV version has a more greenish hue to them. The DYRL ones are a more dark blue hue as far as the 1/60 versions are concerned.

I only have 1 set of 1/48 normal color one that have been sitting in it's box for a couple of years and a Stealth colored one which is awesome.

Yeah, I was speaking of the DYRL versions also. The one I have just looks like it has a greenish tint to them, but not as much as the 1/48 versions. Maybe it's just the lighting in this room.

got my 17D in yesterday, almost missed out of getting it after waiting a long time from pre-ordering it. I haven't been on my E-mail account since Dec 7 and sometime in between the 7th the 20th of December HLJ was trying to contact me, and after the third try they cancelled my orders. I was so mad I wanted to kill that :angry: dipshit :angry: manager (who is practically a kid in my eyes) at my other job or wasting so much of time cause she wants to play favorite with the other employees by letting them go home early and leaving me with the all the crap to deal with by myself, that I did not have the enregy to check if HLJ had sent me an E-mail. Well as soon as I found out I had to re-order the 17D the Gundam Strike and the Buster. I paid for the Strike first and on Friday before I left for Pittsburgh to pick up my mom I paid for both the BUster and 17D. The VF-17D shipped out on Jan 4 and arrived yesterday. Didn't decal it yet like I didn't do to the 19F as all of my energy is spent rushing between two jobs, but I did take some shots of it wih the fast pack off and then on later I'll post some online when I get the chance and the energy. Goodnight. ^_^

Lynk that's funny

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Okay got enough time to post picticure of my 17D before I head off to work, this is going to be my final Valky as I am running out of room. BUt the pictures won't stop comming.

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce1_zpse489c540.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce2_zpsd28c2553.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce3_zpsb96ce860.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce5_zps840f2590.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce6_zpsb0b3d1ca.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce9_zps24d07b40.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce10_zps17e94bb2.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce12_zpsb123e299.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce14_zps631d1dda.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce15_zps8e33a410.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce16_zps6dd503b8.jpg

VF-17DNightmareDiamondForce16_zps6dd503b8.jpg

Got a request---I know there's many pics but I can't find any--I need a pic showing say a TV Hikaru 1J next to a DYRL VF-1-----to show that DYRL valks aren't pure white. Prefer side-by-side in fighter mode.

It is not a J, but a TV Roy on the right next to a DYRL A on the left.. Hope this helps. :)

IMG_20130115_140904.jpg

Edited by vt102