Jump to content

Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV


Recommended Posts

Some more progress :)

IMG_20200805_165503.jpg.33711ea0d685d52e67e4a7e1b698d08d.jpg

Muffin tray from Costco.  I probably should have gone to the hobby shop to get sheets of styrene, but this is a budget build.

IMG_20200805_165809.jpg.5bbc1c67ac2690a98257818be020930d.jpg

Eyeballing it, lol!

IMG_20200805_170302.jpg.ce2013b22db156b556aa83f1bcd88ba8.jpg

IMG_20200805_173046.jpg.be728d3170418a9e4a035b9c161a8e4b.jpg

Precision work, lol!

IMG_20200806_220618.jpg.7aea80f7d868c0d41bf5df1f5afb6faa.jpg

Sort of looks like something

 

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20200806_234834.jpg.b5d9e1ab11a0a449a7ac106367b40cf2.jpg

Added a few holes.

IMG_20200806_234938.jpg.8f670ca15841fad5f83134af2acaa4c7.jpg

Filed parts of the edge so it doesn't look like I just drilled out a hole.

IMG_20200807_000637.jpg.e3f85527865823fc9ff9d00eb6d6171d.jpg

Had to re-glue the saucer, guess I didn't goop on enough glue 30 years ago.

At least this build won't be nose heavy, hahaha!

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, peter said:

This might give you guys some idea of what's in my head.

IMG_20200805_140454.jpg.71787b9059d39df9cf4205ed987ddd27.jpg

IMG_20200805_141225.jpg.0ae374112e423114da4538140fd52508.jpg

IMG_20200805_141700.jpg.266aedb084d19b8fb2664ceb60fe62b2.jpg

I don't know what I'm doing.  I feel like I'm in grade 8 again, except this time I have power tools.

I don't really want to spend any significant amount of time on this, and I certainly don't want to pour any money I to this project, so no Aztec decals or any of that.  I'll paint what I can, hand paint if I have to, and I'll make do with the original AMT decals I didn't use for my other build.

 

I had a feeling this was what you were going to do and I think it's a pretty great idea. Given how nice a job you did on the other one, I look forward to seeing the beautification...trashification(?) of this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaiotheforsaken said:

I had a feeling this was what you were going to do and I think it's a pretty great idea. Given how nice a job you did on the other one, I look forward to seeing the beautification...trashification(?) of this one.

Lol, it may still going the trash.  Anything could go wrong with this build.  The strongbacks fail, the pylons might sag, the neck might break off, who knows, haha! 

And here I thought there enough variables on a brand new kit.  I envisioned bashing this thing together no matter how ugly it would be, but even super ugly might not be possible, lol!

 

We'll see :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

todays mail call.
I'm DEEEEEEEEEP back into Macross.

116434025_2636518089941049_6915826343278887176_o.jpg

I had that kit (one on the right).  Proportions of the bow are really weird compared to the anime and line art.  I really didn't like that kit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, peter said:

I had that kit (one on the right).  Proportions of the bow are really weird compared to the anime and line art.  I really didn't like that kit.

i noticed the differences, but it has the cutest little SDF-1 included. LOL
i think i might try my hand at a diorama for it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on Peter, tell the truth. You're just getting even with that kit for how bad it was to you last build!:lol: Have some fun. Try a little match head or black powder in the blast holes. then heat it up with a lighter or small torch. The effect is cool and you can't get any more realistic! Your mods are looking good too!

Photogirl - If you feel up to it, the Zenraedi flagship doesn't look so bad if you stretch it and fill it in with some Miliput or similar epoxy putty. I'm thinking of doing the same someday with mine. The kit is cool just for the nostalgia though! - MT

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Photogirl, This is what I did with her a few years ago. Horrible model, but one of my favorite results. I would redo it if someone can find a better sculpt with a hollow interior.

DSC02393.JPG.f8df436ae36c761aa914a65f7c251670.JPG

393084516_Screenshot2017-09-1602_17_50.png.1a3f4f11c7ecb02e0b2cbab099011e87.pngThen I gave her a new base.

Still needs some oils and weathering and scratch details on the base. Maybe your builds will inspire me to get on that. (The Prometheus is down because it is magnetized and I am a very un-careful photographer.)

Edited by arbit
Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo!!!  I'm finally finished the 1/72 Hasegawa F-18F Superhornet.  Didn't really have the time to setup a proper photo session, but got these on my cell phone.  Thank you so much @NZEOD for sending me a replacement canopy after I cracked mine all the way from New Zealand!  I'm pretty happy with it especially after a few years off from modeling.  Its given me enough confidence to finally start on one of my 1/72 F-14 Tomcats in my huge stash.  So much more work matching paints, researching on these real birds than Macross planes!

IMG_0329_resize.JPG.d0ffa67f1bae0c05d4b7ecedd8b2d0f1.JPGIMG_0354_resize.JPG.2c534fa70492ea71ed143e8e4f3f5f86.JPGIMG_0332_resize.JPG.a15fa313ab83a48ecbdb8a88eb5f6696.JPGIMG_0333_resize.JPG.bfe0de1437a29cfea26e439324f46d20.JPGIMG_0334_resize.JPG.6c476e4d2988f11148cfa66e713e9bec.JPGIMG_0335_resize.JPG.4c4cdb96a24a35847e49474f345235ff.JPGIMG_0339_resize.JPG.e8e0098bd1d07785ebba2fff45fb166c.JPGIMG_0341_resize.JPG.504ab222e0d607b7a9efeb28b9b9c443.JPGIMG_0344_resize.JPG.3def9dae70895c225fe35981a7e03c6d.JPGIMG_0346_resize.JPG.8753f8a853d4d615aae93391ab14f11b.JPGIMG_0347_resize.JPG.b404c82e2ca6b92366d0f4522403ab84.JPGIMG_0348_resize.JPG.dfb0ec16e112120040f565beb3a2d9af.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dobber said:

Model on Garth!

Chris

In any Wayne's World comparison, I am Garth...

HastyArcticIberianlynx-size_restricted.g

4 hours ago, Photogirl said:

todays mail call.
I'm DEEEEEEEEEP back into Macross.

116434025_2636518089941049_6915826343278887176_o.jpg

The only time Breetia will be envious...

Also have that Zentran kit and was really disappointed in it. If the resin model of it wasn't so 'spensive I'd probably pop on it.

On the other hand, here's a dio idea for the kit I have!:D

kit_15_kern06.jpg

 

2 hours ago, arbit said:

Photogirl, This is what I did with her a few years ago. Horrible model, but one of my favorite results. I would redo it if someone can find a better sculpt with a hollow interior.

DSC02393.JPG.f8df436ae36c761aa914a65f7c251670.JPG

393084516_Screenshot2017-09-1602_17_50.png.1a3f4f11c7ecb02e0b2cbab099011e87.pngThen I gave her a new base.

Still needs some oils and weathering and scratch details on the base. Maybe your builds will inspire me to get on that. (The Prometheus is down because it is magnetized and I am a very un-careful photographer.)

 

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Woohoo!!!  I'm finally finished the 1/72 Hasegawa F-18F Superhornet.  Didn't really have the time to setup a proper photo session, but got these on my cell phone.  Thank you so much @NZEOD for sending me a replacement canopy after I cracked mine all the way from New Zealand!  I'm pretty happy with it especially after a few years off from modeling.  Its given me enough confidence to finally start on one of my 1/72 F-14 Tomcats in my huge stash.  So much more work matching paints, researching on these real birds than Macross planes!

IMG_0329_resize.JPG.d0ffa67f1bae0c05d4b7ecedd8b2d0f1.JPG

Fantastic result! Now hit those Tomcats! (not really hit, you understand. gently. gently.)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MechTech said:

Come on Peter, tell the truth. You're just getting even with that kit for how bad it was to you last build!:lol: Have some fun. Try a little match head or black powder in the blast holes. then heat it up with a lighter or small torch. The effect is cool and you can't get any more realistic! Your mods are looking good too!

Photogirl - If you feel up to it, the Zenraedi flagship doesn't look so bad if you stretch it and fill it in with some Miliput or similar epoxy putty. I'm thinking of doing the same someday with mine. The kit is cool just for the nostalgia though! - MT

 

I might try that, the last time I simulated burning was probably with a lighter ot candle, lol!

Not a lot of progress to report on the self-destruct project.  When I assembled this thing 30 years ago I globbed on the glue and it was so uneven, it left huge amounts of light shining through from the side.

IMG_20200807_082617.jpg.350be87df512b777e52f75be34c2c4d6.jpg

I took the two and sanded off the glue and now they mate together much better.IMG_20200807_175324.jpg.439ce1ce9321629012aefc4fa68e1353.jpg

Can't believe how crooked the neck in relation to the bottom of the saucer.

IMG_20200807_182357.jpg.dd90341567024288a9d9ad3f6257eabb.jpg

I said I wasn't going to bother with the Aztec decals on this build so I'm not sure why I'm trying to fill in the grid lines.

I might try something with a pencil and see how that turns out.  Will be Mickey mouse though, not going g to stress myself out over this build, just going to have fun with it :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also found a couple of K'Tinga battle cruisers.  IMG_20200807_174503.jpg.86ec1c0b6c23cdcd382cd5f3a055e9e2.jpg

Painted these grey back and hand rushed some weird colors on them.

IMG_20200807_174738.jpg.16f1f8d34da2a8488b4cb7581ee16398.jpg

Looks like I have two complete ships here, but will have to take a closer look when I have time.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peter said:

I said I wasn't going to bother with the Aztec decals on this build so I'm not sure why I'm trying to fill in the grid lines.

I might try something with a pencil and see how that turns out.  Will be Mickey mouse though, not going g to stress myself out over this build, just going to have fun with it :)

 

I'm really enjoying your build progress updates.

Why fill in the lines?  We're all perfectionists... (^_^;)

Nevertheless, maybe try experimenting with materials and techniques*?  Even if it doesn't work, you'll have gained something out of the process.

 

* Some Japanese modellers use Nano-blocks inside their kits (not just for removable panels, but as spacers for wiring).  While not quite relevant to this stage of the project, I hope you take it as encouragement to continue thinking outside of the box and using whatever is on hand.  (BTW: I really like how you've 'recycled' that clear plastic tray!  I look forward to seeing more of the 'gory' innards of the ship!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sketchley said:

I'm really enjoying your build progress updates.

Why fill in the lines?  We're all perfectionists... (^_^;)

Nevertheless, maybe try experimenting with materials and techniques*?  Even if it doesn't work, you'll have gained something out of the process.

 

* Some Japanese modellers use Nano-blocks inside their kits (not just for removable panels, but as spacers for wiring).  While not quite relevant to this stage of the project, I hope you take it as encouragement to continue thinking outside of the box and using whatever is on hand.  (BTW: I really like how you've 'recycled' that clear plastic tray!  I look forward to seeing more of the 'gory' innards of the ship!)

Thanks for the tips!  Will keep plugging away with whatever I have laying around :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Final thinned white blend layers applied. Opinions? Thoughts? I'm good with it I think.... Might do some Tamiya smoke layers maybe.. I dunno...

Lookin goooooood!

The only smoke needed would be very selective spots for exhaust, battle damage, laser strikes, leaks, etc.

But otherwise you are DONE.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good. 

Tempted to slap together my Bandai Vehicle Model Star Destroyer.  Brought a bunch of those mini Bandai Star Wars Models back.IMG_20200808_181428.jpg.29a726bc33cdf54b9496220795c796d9.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this build will likely be covered with muck, I decided to take care of those pesky extra grid lines with the oribital.

IMG_20200808_114223.jpg.0a5742c946c8132bdbc491654d60b941.jpg

IMG_20200808_114232.jpg.c3224d2558ecaba9805afb8b38185d64.jpg

Good enough for this project.  Primer will tell what I missed.

IMG_20200808_114251.jpg.bb5b90a874a4cfa13b2d9937f128c22f.jpg

IMG_20200808_114258.jpg.1c828041edb8b6b72da4e0fca6f25c33.jpg

Actually, I'll probably fill a bit more before primer.

Ended up just screwing the pylons into the strongbacks.

IMG_20200808_142541.jpg.f71e12abc96ba22f3b2ad4bb3baf4915.jpg

Looks horrible inside, but the nacelles surprisingly lined up.

IMG_20200808_142537.jpg.f7e28bab7205059a051aca27c4087ac9.jpg

IMG_20200808_173147.jpg.0a5051b0bbcdbab15e50adf3f799b0f7.jpg

The bridge area looked a bit naked, but I have no idea where it is.

IMG_20200808_173143.jpg.e46593918abb57b556df5804836fa53f.jpg

So I used my spare saucer as a guide.

IMG_20200808_175632.jpg.02aa3884624f4f785693a4f7514a7071.jpg

Threw some greebles on it to make it look a bit busier.  It's not at all line accurate.  I should have downloaded a pic of a cutaway Refit before I started, by oh well.  

Used some left over Valkyrie parts....points to anyone who can ID the green bits :)

 

More to follow.

Edited by peter
Link to post
Share on other sites

I been away from my 1/48 brownie (thx for the feedback everyone) for about 4 days due to having  to be on-site for work :(

Finally got quiet today so started snapping up a side-project. I almost want to paint the suit up like a black adidas track-suit, paint the feet like a pair of Adidas Sambas and add a cigarette to get that 'Slav' look

1587278489_unnamed(2).jpg.64c038015e021413050be6ccb4e6944a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 2:59 PM, wm cheng said:

Woohoo!!!  I'm finally finished the 1/72 Hasegawa F-18F Superhornet.  Didn't really have the time to setup a proper photo session, but got these on my cell phone.  Thank you so much @NZEOD for sending me a replacement canopy after I cracked mine all the way from New Zealand!  I'm pretty happy with it especially after a few years off from modeling.  Its given me enough confidence to finally start on one of my 1/72 F-14 Tomcats in my huge stash.  So much more work matching paints, researching on these real birds than Macross planes!

IMG_0329_resize.JPG.d0ffa67f1bae0c05d4b7ecedd8b2d0f1.JPG

Great!!!!!!

 

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Final thinned white blend layers applied. Opinions? Thoughts? I'm good with it I think.... Might do some Tamiya smoke layers maybe.. I dunno...

20200808_152037.jpg

Really Nice!!!

Edited by joscasle
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Final thinned white blend layers applied. Opinions? Thoughts? I'm good with it I think.... Might do some Tamiya smoke layers maybe.. I dunno...

 

I think the colours are spot on, however—and this may just be the lighting and the camera's angle—the plaid pattern you laid down first comes out a little too strongly (on the bottom hull.  The top looks great as-is!)

I'm wondering if it is possible to break it up a little with a light dusting of grey (for example hand-drawn with pencil) on only a handful of the smallish panels in the white(r) sections to break up the pattern a little?.  If you have a white pencil, you could try breaking up the greys with a few whiter blocks.  However, I'm not sure how effective a white pencil would be... graphite seems to be much more user friendly and easier to match the darker greys you've already painted on, and white might stand out too much.

It doesn't have to be a lot.  Just enough to show a little variation, but still keeping that industrial, uniform look that you've already established (this is truly a case of "less is more").  It's kind of like highlighting a couple of panels to distract the viewer from the pattern.  ;)

Of course, how you intend to display it is also something to keep in mind.  If viewers will only see it side-on, then even less breaking-up of the pattern is needed.

... and if it starts feeling a bit overwhelming, just remember the 70/30 rule of art:  spend 70% of your time on the 30% that people look at.

Edited by sketchley
Link to post
Share on other sites

WM Cheng - That Rhino is a BEAUTIFUL build!!! I agree, it does look like a 1/48 build! Great finish and just enough weathering to show it's used. AWESOME photos too! Great shots and angles. If that's just your phone, I gotta get one. My phone is like 8 years old!:lol:

Peter - Your progress is looking good - in a blown-up sorta way! That's cool that the nacelles line up. Oh, the bits are from the Bandai 1/72 Valk you just built.

Convectuoso - The Tornado is looking good so far!

Duymon - Nice break from your brownie! Between my second carpal tunnel surgery and going into work too, so slow going on the builds. Question - Is the suit for that solid, or did they do a vinyl cover for it? A track suit would be funny!!!

Derex - The colors are looking good. You can see the cross-hatch pattern on the one side. Your call on it, but you know we're with ya!

Joscasle - That A-wing is coming along great! - MT

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, peter said:

Since this build will likely be covered with muck, I decided to take care of those pesky extra grid lines with the oribital.

IMG_20200808_114223.jpg.0a5742c946c8132bdbc491654d60b941.jpg

IMG_20200808_114232.jpg.c3224d2558ecaba9805afb8b38185d64.jpg

Good enough for this project.  Primer will tell what I missed.

IMG_20200808_114251.jpg.bb5b90a874a4cfa13b2d9937f128c22f.jpg

IMG_20200808_114258.jpg.1c828041edb8b6b72da4e0fca6f25c33.jpg

Actually, I'll probably fill a bit more before primer.

Ended up just screwing the pylons into the strongbacks.

IMG_20200808_142541.jpg.f71e12abc96ba22f3b2ad4bb3baf4915.jpg

Looks horrible inside, but the nacelles surprisingly lined up.

IMG_20200808_142537.jpg.f7e28bab7205059a051aca27c4087ac9.jpg

IMG_20200808_173147.jpg.0a5051b0bbcdbab15e50adf3f799b0f7.jpg

The bridge area looked a bit naked, but I have no idea where it is.

IMG_20200808_173143.jpg.e46593918abb57b556df5804836fa53f.jpg

So I used my spare saucer as a guide.

IMG_20200808_175632.jpg.02aa3884624f4f785693a4f7514a7071.jpg

Threw some greebles on it to make it look a bit busier.  It's not at all line accurate.  I should have downloaded a pic of a cutaway Refit before I started, by oh well.  

Used some left over Valkyrie parts....points to anyone who can ID the green bits :)

 

More to follow.

Actually, the first big explosion comes from the bridge area, so you could just put a crater there.;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Created the mount and trunnions for the mechanism. Now it can elevate! I also shortened the barrel base and narrowed the main mechanism box at the base so it elevates into the cylinder base better. Everything is tightly compacted into a small area. Now it's actually styrene time again for the housing details. - MT 0808201515d.jpg.93dad368b73c9f32a59a76d772ccc48a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...