Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

1. Awesome work everyone! The Galacticas are looking good too, even if all the detail won't show up.

The LEDs are a nice touch on the J Cesar. Does anyone have a good source for micro LED's? I've found some cheap zipper pull flashlights that have them inside, but they're about $2.00 a pop. - MT

Took a break from real modeling to do something I know I'm good at..LOL....detailing VF-1's. Here's my newest and officially last Yamato VF-1 1:60 ver. 2. Took about 4 hours. just wish Yamato would include a set of waterslides as well as stickers with all their Valks...oh well.

post-11393-0-13628100-1325446051_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-08143800-1325446096_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-82252300-1325446103_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-21214000-1325446110_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Sorry I know this isn't macross related, but I just share.

Nothing special here... I just wanted to psych myself up with a nice Gundam kit before building the Sinanju and the FA Unicorn. I didn't want to start working on a kit that I didn't like as much and end up not finishing, but I began to feel that way when working on this kit because of the issues I encountered. However, while working on the MG Unicorn OVA kit I encountered plenty of key points which I need to remember when attempting future projects.

I've used the following for painting the Unicorn OVA kit:

If anything is not noted 'Spray' then it was airbrushed at 17psi.

Outer:

Krylon Fusion Flat White Spray

Tamiya Pearl White (TS-45) Spray

Booster pack/Feet:

A 4:1 mix ratio of: Testor's MM Arctic Blue Metallic (2702), Testor's MM Stop Light Red Metallic (2724)

Inner Frame:

Krylon Fusion Flat Black Spray

Testor's MM Graphite Metallic (2717)

Psycho Frame:

Tamiya Clear Red (X-27)

Weapons:

Mix of: Testor's MM Navy Gloss Gray FS16081 (1791), Testor's MM Graphite Metallic (2717), Testor's MM Black Metallic (2713)

Sorry I can't recall the ratio... I just mixed until I found something appealing, lol.

Ammo/Energy Packs:

Mix of: Testor's MM Artic Blue Metallic (2702), Testor's MM Navy Gloss Gray FS16081 (1791), and maybe some Testor's MM Black Metallic (2713)

Sorry I can't recall the ratio... I just mixed until I found something appealing, lol.

Thrusters:

Alclad Gloss Black

Alclad II Chrome

I'm still learning how to chrome with Alclad.

Things which still need to be done:

Order some water based decals/rub on decals. The set I used actually came off while I was working on other parts... that was really discouraging. Thus the main reason why this project is still a WIP, lol.

More panel lining and then a top coat (because morphing/transforming the kit requires some handling).

Issues which I've encountered that I need to remember for future projects:

* Wash all parts before cutting.

* Use better files. The set I used for this project were pretty skewed (not straight) and really did a horrible job by doing more damage rather than taking down the nubs. I practically became discouraged with using the files and thus ended up with the crappy nub removal job you see in the pics. I actually had some nice Tamiya files which I completely forgot I had, so I will be using those for future projects.

* Using acetone for the white/outer parts was pretty effective because it was faster than sanding each part down with 1200 grit, but sanding would probably achieve a better finish. This worked with the weapons, energy packs, booster pack/feet. However, I did the dumb thing of using the acetone for the energy packs while connecting all 16 of them together... only to find out that they were all stuck together because the excess acetone that seeped between the pieces fused them together, lol.

* DO NOT USE ACETONE FOR THE INNER FRAME! I tested this out on the tree for the inner frame parts and for some odd reason the acetone actually had the reverse effect than desired. The acetone ended up giving the inner frame parts a glossy finish instead of dulling out the surface (like the white/outer parts).

* Settle on a base color before re-priming parts, or sand them down. I ended up priming the blue pieces with Krylon Fusion Flat Black, then used Krylon Fusion Flat White because I found out that the Blue/Red mix resulted in a brighter finish than using Flat Black. However, because I primed it twice there was a heavy layer of paint which ended up with a slight orange peel effect.

* I have to build kits in a proper order: wash, cut, putty/sand, rinse/wash, prime, paint, panel line, decal, topcoat, and then handle. In this project I did everything in a forward/backwards order

* Because of what I've been reading here on gundam-eclipse forums about paint sets I must start a collection of Mr. Color paints/Plamo colors enamels/laquers. I believe I'm done using Acrylics and Testor! Their finishes damage too easily.

Unfortunately I'm still learning how to use a DSLR, so the Pearl White nor any of the other colors didn't really turn out too well. The Blue for the Booster pack/Feet actually looks more purple-ish in person.

post-4919-0-53076400-1325474526_thumb.jpg

post-4919-0-27840400-1325474532_thumb.jpg

post-4919-0-89581200-1325567936_thumb.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

well, after deciding my first base color wasn't to my liking, and not wanting to do just all greys, I decided to try something new and different. Went with a new base coat of Model Master Metallizer "Burnt Metal" and then after 3 hours of masking (which nearly drove me nuts...) hit the areas that I'm going to appy the armor decals to with Neutral Grey. I think it looks kinda cool actually....have to wait and see how the decals look before I start dirtying up the old bucket...

post-11393-0-72404100-1326070190_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-76240400-1326070198_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-47905600-1326070206_thumb.jpg

Nice work everyone! I'm not a Galcactica fan, but what I remember of the pilot, the colors look good on the Galactica Derex. VF-19, that photo of the Andromeda helped sell my son to buy one - along with the newer 1/500 Yamato. Guess what will be on my bench when they get shipped ;) Time to dig out the old stash of LEDs! - MT

Apparently, they're older kits. The Andromeda in particular is setup to do lights (Wave motion guns and main engine). The base conceals the on-off switch and batteries. I didn't install the lights, to save time, that and the kit didn't come with the lights. Just the wires.

The Andromeda is pretty straight forward. Don't put any of the bulges on until after you've elimiated the main seam. The main body is split in two, an upper half and a lower half, with raised panel outlines to mark where all the protrusions go.

Besides, I want to get the 1:700 Yamato. It still looks pretty good (and pretty cheap too), and it will be in scale with the Andromeda, making relative sizes apparent.

Thanks guys for the advice. I doubt my son will care about the seems, but I'm trying to teach him patience :wacko: I have seen that guys Yamato website. He's got some insane work on his pages! I wonder how long it takes him to build that stuff!?? I DO like his Andromida in 1/500, even with fiber lights. I'll probably put some LED's into my son's, I can tone down the light so it's not so strong on the engines. I'm thinking of using candle LEDs for a combustion flickering effect. The main guns, just some LED's on a switch. - MT

Started work on Tamiya's 1:350 IJN Yamato. It's the older kit, but still good. One note... It's big. Really, really big.

I know! I've got the 1/350 Musashi waiting to go after I finish my current build. My first regular ship kit; should be fun.

Also, seeing all the AAA emplacements on the Yamato really makes me feel bad for the pilots who had to do attack runs on the Yamato. Thank goodness the accuracy sucked on that day, or it would have been a massacre for the US pilots/

Captain's Log Stardate 8738.20, I have decided to leave my utterly boring Starfleet crew in order to join this Shepard and his band of Renegade pirates. In return I have been promised at least 2 personal side-quests, VIP access to a certain place called The Chora's Den, and a romance route with a female from the Krogan species. Only fate knows what awaits!

post-9883-0-58650300-1326655002_thumb.jpgpost-9883-0-05192100-1326655014_thumb.jpgpost-9883-0-91662600-1326655034_thumb.jpg

NCC-1701 Refit.

I started this well over a year ago, but as my life turned into a chaotic mess, this project incurred numerous stoppages. It's not perfect, or accurate... but looks ok sitting in my office!

Edited by Ghost Train

Started work on Tamiya's 1:350 IJN Yamato. It's the older kit, but still good. One note... It's big. Really, really big.

I have the 1/200 Nichimo... which I start and stop from time to time. To give a sense of scale... I can almost fit my fist through one of those turret barbettes.

3T12.jpg

While the kit itself was a gift... I spent more on the photo etch alone than on any model I have ever purchased.

Edited by Noyhauser

This isn't Macross related...and the words are in spanish, but you gotta love this guys work! Check it out...

I've been doing some miniature metal work recently. But I could not imagine getting into something like this... amazing work, patience, and dedication!

I have the 1/200 Nichimo... which I start and stop from time to time. To give a sense of scale... I can almost fit my fist through one of those turret barbettes.

3T12.jpg

While the kit itself was a gift... I spent more on the photo etch alone than on any model I have ever purchased.

I did some looking around on the web, and I came across a picture that just shows how big that model is... I'm surprised that somebody had the insane thought to MAKE a 1:200 Yamato for consumers.

I did some looking around on the web, and I came across a picture that just shows how big that model is... I'm surprised that somebody had the insane thought to MAKE a 1:200 Yamato for consumers.

Image search in Japanese for the Japanese-impaired

I was referring to the picture on this webpage: http://www.steelnavy.com/Yamat200.htm as it has the one I'm currently building.

But seeing the bigger ones, I'm hardly surprised.

Small update on the Yamato: Adapting Tamiya's metal gun barrels (that fit into the new 1:350 Yamato) to fit to the main guns. Really easy: saw off the original plastic parts, drill out a hole in the fabric base, cut down the long rod at the base of the metal barrel and superglue everything together. Much better looking than the kit parts.

working on the 1/1000 USS EXCELSIOR that i picked up for cheap, as it had been started, but nowhere near finished by one of it's previous owners.

got a good deal of painting/touch-up/detail work left, as well as application of the FEDERATION MODELS custom NX-2000 decal set

heading my way in a couple/three days or so;

pnt-4529.jpg

http://federationmodels.com/

NX-20001-19-12.jpg

got a good deal of painting/touch-up/detail work left, as well as application of the FEDERATION MODELS custom NX-2000 decal set

heading my way in a couple/three days or so;

pnt-4529.jpg

http://federationmodels.com/

Of course this was released just after I acquired the old custom decal sets...

Looks great everyone! I've also go the Nichimo 1/200 Yamato. It is HUGE! It has all the metal barrels and photo etch. I'm trying to sell it just to make room :o I have the 1/350 Tamiya New Jersey and like it too. I also ordered the New Tamiya 1/350 barrels for the Yamato (fodder for other projects). I can't wait to get my hands on them. But what I'm REALLY itching to build is the 1/350 Space battleship Yamato! I'm trying to get a curio to put them all in and protect them from dust and dust bunnies. The one ship I do have out is really dirty and I'm afraid to dust it and break something :ph34r: . - MT