Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Awesome!! The Starblazers logo is a sticker placed on the box for U.S. distributors. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

William, any pictures of your DX yamato? I'd love to see what the master has done with it! :)

Chris

Awesome!! The Starblazers logo is a sticker placed on the box for U.S. distributors. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

William, any pictures of your DX yamato? I'd love to see what the master has done with it! :)

Chris

Yes! I agree with Dobber on that statement! Let's see the masters 1/350! I got it off Amazon! Prime shipping! 2 days free shipping. No waiting. HLJ says they will have re-stocks in November, so I may pick up the expansion set from them down the road...I really want the wings!

Un boxing now.....I'm sorry..THIS is how you do a freakin model kit. BanDai WINS. Let them make Macross SDFM kits of this caliber. I'll buy every single one starting with a TV SDF-1!

Didn't I read somewhere they got the Star Wars license from FineMolds? If so...bring it on BanDai!!!

Edited by derex3592

Hopefully we'll see a whack ton of new space goodies from the newer Star Wars movies coming out ( I almost wrote "films" LOL). I haven't bought any of the Fine Molds stuff yet, too many other things for me to buy!

That Hasegawa link is awesome Noyhauser, I like that bigger companies like Hase' and Revell AG are opening up to the public and connecting with their consumers in this way.

I think you may be able to remove them. The instructions are in Japanese so I'm not certain. From what I remember of the construction the retracted position "plugs" are in 3 pieces. As long as you don't glue them in, you may be should be able to remove them. I don't recall how tight a fit the are though. The expansion set also includes the Cosmo Falcon hangar, and the elevator and replacement catapults for the Cosmo Zero. Also some extra detailing replacement pieces for those 2 hangars so the whole assemble can be removed and displayed separately.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Weekly Monster update pix! 3 out of 4 guns are as seamless as they're gonna get... Instructions only showed the left cylinder silver and washed with black, but I thought all 3 parts would look cool like that. I'll detail some more colors on the parts on down the road with pastel chalks.

post-11393-0-08260400-1412549881_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-48253400-1412549895_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-74219200-1412549911_thumb.jpg

Weekly Monster update pix! 3 out of 4 guns are as seamless as they're gonna get... Instructions only showed the left cylinder silver and washed with black, but I thought all 3 parts would look cool like that. I'll detail some more colors on the parts on down the road with pastel chalks.

:wub:

That is gonna be pretty

I have been trying to get a few 'real' kits done, since my unbuilt pile keeps growing and my Macross builds aren't going anywhere. Here is what I have done recently:

review021_zpscaefccd9.jpg

This Arado E.555 was a planned bomber, but never made. It is the Revell AG kit in 1/72. I keep having bleed off around he panel lines using Tamiya panel line accent wash. The capillary action of the flat paint is just drawing it out onto the surface. I think the initial failure to get everything flowing properly has put this build on the back burner.

review023_zpse1d54a5e.jpg

This is the underside, I used citadel black wash on the gear wells, which I am happy with. I haven't done any panel line inking yet.

review024_zpsbe12b705.jpg

Dragon's 1/72 P-61B Black Widow. One of my favourite kits and this is my second time building it. The panel line consistency isn't very good. I will have to deepen the lines that just aren't holding the grey Tamiya wash. This looks much more contrasting in the photos, hopefully a coating of matte or satin will calm down the tone differences.

review025_zpsc1b8f76a.jpg

The green on the turret is squadron putty. I found some deeper scratch marks on the turret shell after I reshaped it to the static turret style. The machine gun barrels are from quickboost, the kit supplies simple plastic rods which don't feature any cooling jacket perforations. I will repaint the turret with vallejo black, should cover well enough.

review026_zps82612237.jpg

I stretched out the nose of the "A" version on this kit by slicing the needed section of the "B" style radome. The "B" radome supplied in the kit is too narrow and tapers weirdly. I rescribed some panel line detail to match plans I have.

Edited by modelglue

Ahh, 1/48 kits are pretty easy to handle these days. You can always get a hobby boss 1/72 kit from their easy assembly range. They still build up nicely but take the pain out of construction.

Im not sure but you might be able to read a few online reviews to find out which of the 1/48 models out there are of basic construction but still offer modern moldings.

I must not have coated the model well enough with my airbrushed future coating. Worse, the Tamiya ink has bled under a decal, which I thought was both sealed and flush before that. I used setting solution to get everything to snuggy down, but I might have to get out the magnifying glass in future builds to make absolutely sure. I typically mix future into my colours too, usually half or slightly less by ratio. This tends to give me at least a satin to semi-gloss sheen that I haven't had problems with before this.

I can only chalk it up to user error and experience building. I just wish it wasn't on a kit this large, expensive, and most importantly, progressed.

Awesome work Dobber and Derex! My son and I threw together the newer Bandai 1-500 Yamato kit and loved the gun action on the turrets. I have the 1-350 kit I'm itching to finally get to.

The monster is also my favorite mecha so it's great to see one coming together and with some love.-MT

Awesome work Dobber and Derex! My son and I threw together the newer Bandai 1-500 Yamato kit and loved the gun action on the turrets. I have the 1-350 kit I'm itching to finally get to.

The monster is also my favorite mecha so it's great to see one coming together and with some love.-MT

Can't wait to see what you do with your 1/350! Its funny how much more detailed the 1/500 is than our old 1/350 - kind of puts it to shame.

She's getting close now!! :D Wash is done and I've started the decaling. Then it'll be weathering touch-ups and final detail painting

Forgot, then I'll need to paint the fighters and support craft...

Chris

1:48. To match his previous two Inbit/Invid kits and hopefully his next couple as well.

I figured! :)

I am not too sure which mecha that is, but I think that is the one design I was most interested in. Was there a thread I missed to get one of these showing the process like the space crab?