Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

They seem to multiply like rabbits around here.

Nicely done... they don't look like that scale at all.

The scale seems fairly accurate if it's based on the deck crew figures. But nobody's actually sure about how tall Rex is.

Love the Carrier Deck! Where did you find that?

Thanks! :)

I built the carrier deck from scratch.

@Yeti, I love your hangar! It looks great!

@Destroid. Thanks for the link.

Well Here's a project I finished up. Offered these hangars as a kit and Sold out of them. Making some more at the moment, but I have to put my Viper MK VII in this one.

post-7782-0-28152700-1319814548_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-03581200-1319814558_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-87019900-1319814568_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-99087000-1319814698_thumb.jpg

Thanks Miriya,

Unfortunatly I dont have the gear & set-up to do castings at the moment, so its a one off. However there is a resin kit done by others available at this link.

Propsumit

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Jase.

It's pretty straightforward (if you have an airbrush). I primed the part with Tamiya dark sea grey, which will remain the color of the ribbed areas. Using sky grey with a 1:1 thinner ration, I set my single-action Badger airbrush to where it barely emits paint. With this setting you can get as close as 1 cm to the surface and paint 2 mm lines. I applied the paint very irregularly in repeated layers, drawing circles, spots and zig-zag lines until I reached the desired coverage. It's a slow process, but doesn't need any additional weathering methods. Finally, I randomly picked out single panels and gave them an additional coat of paint.

I will use graphit powder on the ribbed areas to get a light metallic shine there.

I just caved in and bought the Moebious Galactica model. Have any of you guys that have built one tried any of the PE or decal sheets from Starship Modeler? I wouldn't mind getting them..but sheesh...all together that would be like $90 and I'm not sure I'm good enough to do it all either... :unsure:

Hey Derex, glad you caved in & got the Galactica!! I have some PE parts on the way myself (raised Galactica letters & the Museum windows) and a lighting kit. I've used PE parts many a time and they are well worth it, you just need the right tools.... lots of patience. :D

Edited by 505thAirborne

Don't waste your energy with the PE inner landing bay bulkheads (except maybe if you plan to install some lightsources there). The biggest aftermarket improvements IMO are the resin railguns and maybe the PE sheets for the landing bay recesses in the main hull.

I've seen the decals on a friend's kit and they look good, but personally, I like painted effects more.

Working on Fujimi's 1:16 Ferrari F40, a commission build for my brother. Commencing work on the body, and I'm a little terrified... I don't want to screw this up. My goal is to get the paint as perfect as possible (aka, I can see my face in it).

I'll be glad when I'm done this.

Fraking awesome!

Noyhauser, you just reminded me to pick up that bomber from Anigrand, I've forgotten about it, great subject.

Mine actually is the Planet Models version. I thought it had better casting, but there were some fit issues with the wingtip sections... more on that later.

Working on Fujimi's 1:16 Ferrari F40, a commission build for my brother. Commencing work on the body, and I'm a little terrified... I don't want to screw this up. My goal is to get the paint as perfect as possible (aka, I can see my face in it).

I'll be glad when I'm done this.

If I may, I'd like to impart an small epiphany I had that changed my view of modeling and made it more enjoyable:

You can always buy another one.

If you mess this one up, you can buy another and redo it. I know its a higher quality model that costs a bit, but don't worry about screwing it up. Half of the fun of modeling in my mind is the building part, and its not fun if you're worried about screwing it up. Be bold and have fun with it. (you can also order replacement parts if need be... a cheaper route)

Good luck and show us some pictures.

True, I could buy another one, but not at the dirt-cheap price I paid for it (They go for about $100 at the local shops). So far, though, I've put the first coat of primer on, sanded, cleaned, and applied the second coat. Gonna go and give it a light sanding in a bit.

At least Tamiya primer dries pretty quick.

I've put the Galactica aside, but my plan was to paint the base gold, mask the letters and various bits I want to remain gold, and then blast it with black. As of now, it's functioning as a paint stand for the model itself (hey, why not?). When I get to it, it'll be cleaned off and then painted up.

Small update on the F40. Doors and rear bumper painted with the first yellow layer. I did those first because they're small, and thus, if I made a mistake, it wouldn't be a whole body I would have to strip to the primer. I tried Tamiya acyclic retarder, and it makes quite a difference in how the paints goes on. Looks like I'm on my first step towards a spiffy paintjob.

Edit: Picture!

post-122-0-59242200-1321406304_thumb.jpg

I know, it's a bit big, but I'm really happy how smooth the paint turned out.

If you're wondering why the door is yellow instead of red, the instructions call out for a layer of yellow, then layers of red. I tried it out on some white plastic (half white half yellow), and there's a subtle difference in the resulting top red layer. Dunno if real Ferrari's have a yellow base coat over the red, but it does look pretty nice.

Edited by VF-19

The Ferrari F40 has always been one of my favorite cars as I am a sports car nut. However, my car modeling skills are atrocious, so hats off to you sir for building them! I have to buy all mine from AutoArt, Kyosho and Hot Wheels Elite in 1:18. And that aint cheap! :huh:

Thanks. I don't normally do cars, but I took on the challenge when my brother asked me to build a F40 for him. Found a really cheap Fujimi 1:16 superkit, and went to work.

I have finished my Alien 3 Bd-409 EEV Scratchbuild.

DSCF0817.JPGDSCF0813.JPG

DSCF0807.JPG

It was a lot of fun to build and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Cheers,

Jase.

Nice! Is that a re-purposed Zip-drive I see there as a base?

Well spotted - yep that is an old zip drive case - I removed most of the internals to make room for batteries and a switch.. then painted it to represent a 'black box' flight recorder as it goes with the Alien 3 mvie theme.

Cheers,

Jase.

I have finished my Alien 3 Bd-409 EEV Scratchbuild.

DSCF0817.JPGDSCF0813.JPG

DSCF0807.JPG

It was a lot of fun to build and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Cheers,

Jase.

Oh wow! I am in awe of your skills, destroid. Wouldn't know where to even begin if I were to attempt making something like that.

BTW, what is the EEV made of, if I may ask?

You also mentioned batteries and a switch on the zip-drive base. What's it for? Light effects?

It's pretty straightforward (if you have an airbrush). I primed the part with Tamiya dark sea grey, which will remain the color of the ribbed areas. Using sky grey with a 1:1 thinner ration, I set my single-action Badger airbrush to where it barely emits paint. With this setting you can get as close as 1 cm to the surface and paint 2 mm lines. I applied the paint very irregularly in repeated layers, drawing circles, spots and zig-zag lines until I reached the desired coverage. It's a slow process, but doesn't need any additional weathering methods. Finally, I randomly picked out single panels and gave them an additional coat of paint.

I will use graphit powder on the ribbed areas to get a light metallic shine there.

Nice! Too bad I don't have an airbrush. Textures like these would look real sweet for any sci-fi diorama.

Edited by GU-11