Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

LOL some of the Wave kits I have you don't need sharp side cutters, you need an AXE. :)

Funny you should say that. I started this the other day and it's a shocker :( I've never done a Wave kit before and I thought they were supposed to be good :unsure:

Galaga001.jpg~original

Galaga003.jpg~original

Yeah, but sadly about $70 worth of plastic. If anyone wants to scribe all the lines, I can put up the current version for sale, but I'm planning on refining it more.

I'm kinda just experimenting with what might look good scribed on it.

Edit- And so, it begins. :p

post-907-0-91782600-1368601650_thumb.jpg

Given how close together some of the lines are, I'm almost thinking it'll work better to scribe them by hand than to embed them into the model.

Kurisama, the lines scribed on the canards for your VF-0D kit look like they'd be about the right depth for this size. What size and shape indentation did you use on the model to get them to come out that way? I'm okay if I need to rescribe things after the printing, but I'd like to get them at least started on the model if I can.

Edited by Chronocidal

Finished my 1/720 Bug Eye Scout. Tried every trick I know to get the 30+ year old decals to come off the sheet but had no luck so I'm going with this is as it looks more anime accurate! Pretty proud of this turning out as well as it did considering the 30 year old cheap dime store plastic! There were more than a couple of unplanned breaks....enjoy!

post-11393-0-39651700-1368834460_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-77714900-1368834484_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-18658200-1368834508_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-05631900-1368834531_thumb.jpg

Yeah, but sadly about $70 worth of plastic. If anyone wants to scribe all the lines, I can put up the current version for sale, but I'm planning on refining it more.

I'm kinda just experimenting with what might look good scribed on it.

Edit- And so, it begins. :p

attachicon.gifpanel lines1.jpg

Given how close together some of the lines are, I'm almost thinking it'll work better to scribe them by hand than to embed them into the model.

Kurisama, the lines scribed on the canards for your VF-0D kit look like they'd be about the right depth for this size. What size and shape indentation did you use on the model to get them to come out that way? I'm okay if I need to rescribe things after the printing, but I'd like to get them at least started on the model if I can.

Hey buddy - sorry, didn't see ur edited post!

I used a different technique on that kit - basically, I made the panels all separate with a slight bevel on all edges - and placed the pieces together like a real-world construction, and added an inner support (low poly) to hold it all together 'cause i had like a half mm gap between he pieces. Make sense?

I really have to get around to finishing up my own projects. I have this to build and a Gnerl to paint. I also have to find one or two of those 1/20,000 stand to mount those two models to.

Great work Derex. I love how you always a sweet base for them to go on.

Edited by Benson13

Hey buddy - sorry, didn't see ur edited post!

I used a different technique on that kit - basically, I made the panels all separate with a slight bevel on all edges - and placed the pieces together like a real-world construction, and added an inner support (low poly) to hold it all together 'cause i had like a half mm gap between he pieces. Make sense?

Yep, that works, so a half mm gap between is enough then. The model might get ugly, but I'll try just making the panels by cutting the lines in and recessing them. I might make them a bit deeper than needed to make sure they cut out well.

Thanks ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Maybe later...in the mean time...next! ...time for some BSG Viper action!

Excellent choice for you next kit. One of the great things on the MKII kit is the ease of its landing gear bays, super simple for either gear up or down.

Edited by 505thAirborne

Finished my 1/720 Bug Eye Scout. Tried every trick I know to get the 30+ year old decals to come off the sheet but had no luck so I'm going with this is as it looks more anime accurate! Pretty proud of this turning out as well as it did considering the 30 year old cheap dime store plastic! There were more than a couple of unplanned breaks....enjoy!

Awesome work... very clean and well executed.

One question/comment. Are you still able to rotate the actual model? I was recently reading a book by master Diorama builder Shep Paine and I found this recommendation:

NEVER PUT ANYTHING PARALLEL TO THE EDGE OF THE BASE. (his exclamation, not mine).

Awesome work... very clean and well executed.

One question/comment. Are you still able to rotate the actual model? I was recently reading a book by master Diorama builder Shep Paine and I found this recommendation:

NEVER PUT ANYTHING PARALLEL TO THE EDGE OF THE BASE. (his exclamation, not mine).

Interesting read, I'll have to apply that advice when I finally build a display.

I'm an avid supporter of that rule, only in this case the exception works very well. It sells the impression of the scout vessel silenty passing the planet's surface, the dynamic of an angular position is not needed here.

What I would have changed is the position in relation to the center of the base, I think it would look more balanced if the legs extended the edge of the base.

Nice to see this great spaceship design getting some love.

It's funny you guys bring this up...I actually thought long and hard about where on the base to place it...and yes, I can rotate it any direction I choose. I went with that point on the base for one simple reason---I DID NOT want the legs and in particular the guns (you have NO idea how brittle this plastic is!!!) sticking out past the wood because sure as the world ...somehow ...my clumsy ass would hit them or something and then there would be falling and breaking and crying and screaming! :rolleyes: . So it's more of a safety measure and also to use only as much real estate in my display cabinet (which is already filled to overflowing) as needed for the base/model. ^_^

Edited by derex3592

Back on the bench is my old Venator build from a few years ago - it's time to finish it off.

Here is a couple of pics of the lighting test

img20130521210552.jpg

And here are a couple I too awhile ago.

venator3.jpgvenator4.jpgvenator5.jpgvenator6.jpg

img20130521210620.jpg

Edited by Berttt

The Bug Eye looks great Derex! I think the display and whole base look great! I love that kit. I'm getting the 1/350th version from Yeti/Neptune. Giving a cool ship some BIG love!

Finish!

Here is my 1/20 MADOX (07) equip with GAU-12.

This resin kit, produced by AIC back in 1987, needed a couple of mods and some details added to look great.

I'm kinda pleased with the final result.

I pray in a near futur this mecha will attract enough attention for a larger and a better photomay21224754.jpg

photomay21224950.jpg

photomay21225722.jpg

Edited by CAIN MKII

Back on the bench is my old Venator build from a few years ago - it's time to finish it off.

I'm also working on a Revell Venator at the moment, albeit slowly (lack of paint) and with no lighting. Totally my favorite star destroyer design.

Gotta finish this guy first though

SOCwb2R.jpg

Making a diorama with him.

Thank you guys.

This one just left my workbench:

photomay21142708.jpg

photomay21142600.jpg

Now back to my alien pile from Takeyuki Takeya.

After 5 years, I need to finish it before moving to something new

photomay22123308.jpg