Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 7/3/2018 at 4:36 PM, derex3592 said:

@peter -- so glad to see another 1:500 2199 Yamato getting built!  I can't wait to start mine!  It's been in the "to build pile" for years now, it is really a massive kit!!! Looking forward to seeing your's complete!  It's never to late to get back to modeling!  The newer Bandai kits are phenomenal and actually fun to build! I can highly recommend their Star Wars ships and character kits, the more love and time you put in, the better they look, but you don't have to go super nuts if you don't want to! 

Thanks!  But this is actually the 2010 release (prior to the 2199 version....which I also have, lol!).

FiJm7LR.jpg

xmwm4Yt.jpg

nPNH8dH.jpg

jCySVy4.jpg

JZ1jtkh.jpg

re9fQBQ.jpg

I discovered these things at the local hobby shop.  

VTjXdPO.jpg

Boy did they come in handy for painting all the little gun turrets.  I used to just paint everything on the tree, then cut the parts off but no matter how much I sanded and shaved, the nubs would be super obvious.  

dm4hUxb.jpg

1FguO2o.jpg

Something interesting I discovered after I picked up some paint (sorry, no airbrushing).  kw8kaPz.jpg

I know it's not anime correct coloring, but I ended up grabbing Tamiya IJN Gray (Kure Arsenal).  Kure is where IJN Yamato was built, so it's actually kind of fitting I use this color on Uchu Senkan Yamato.

w5yllQk.jpg

BZVS4W2.jpg

More pics to follow

Edited by peter

Looking good!!  Hahahaaha! I can't believe they are actually selling tiny alligator clips on wooden sticks now!  I make my own and have for years!  Go to the grocery story and buy a 100 pack of BBQ skewers and then go to Harbor Freight and get cheap packs of any size alligator clips you want!  Just shove the clip onto the pointy end of the skewer and bam! 

On 7/7/2018 at 8:18 AM, derex3592 said:

Looking good!!  Hahahaaha! I can't believe they are actually selling tiny alligator clips on wooden sticks now!  I make my own and have for years!  Go to the grocery story and buy a 100 pack of BBQ skewers and then go to Harbor Freight and get cheap packs of any size alligator clips you want!  Just shove the clip onto the pointy end of the skewer and bam! 

Lol, I saw those clips in Hobby Japan years ago as well, just never bothered to order them or try to DIY them.  They helped a lot :)

Anyway, wrapped up the build, it was fun to get it together.  My kit looks like it just rolled off the assembly line though.  I did some panel lining, but it doesn't appear that obvious in the photos compared to in-person:

fgkRcIS.jpg

RQSc1PP.jpg

aP86Ck0.jpg

yriJ3Qz.jpg

I actually lost a piece and though the kit came with a few spares, it did not come with a spare of the one I lost (rocket launcher behind the smokestack).  I was painting outside and when I walked away for a bit, the wind blew everything into my lawn.  I recovered everything except for that one piece.  I just ended up throwing an extra turret in it's place.  

IZCiB65.jpg

mXXsrhH.jpg

4wxRoR2.jpg

SNXk1Ah.jpg

NK0ASqo.jpg

9qo6cQe.jpg

I probably should have used a less glossy wood finish

bCOFx0J.jpg

qRJVl6z.jpg

UDJzA9R.jpg

7et6Dqw.jpg

5Ao4E20.jpg

t0yfkSK.jpg

Not sure if the lighting was better outside, but I did my best to capture a few images:

ZOnNfcU.jpg

9pQVfjM.jpg

qvCwGaq.jpg

k8a8CD1.jpg

qkkrAxJ.jpg

lZFwRsf.jpg

bw2kCJ0.jpg

j8bCZMB.jpg

Anyway, this kit was a pleasure to build.  The last kit I started was a Hasegawa 1/72 scale VF-1S Strike Valkyrie and I never got past the cockpit.  I should go back to it, but I remember it being a lot harder to work on than this kit.

Maybe I should just go back and slap it together and not really care about the results.  The problem is, it was 10 years ago and I'm staring to get middle-age eyes.  I'll probably need reading glasses or a big magnifying glass to work on it, lol!

Well, if it ends up too challenging, I may start the 2199 1/500 scale Yamato instead.  Since it's bigger than this kit, it might be even easier to work on :)

27 minutes ago, peter said:

Anyway, wrapped up the build, it was fun to get it together.  My kit looks like it just rolled off the assembly line though.  I did some panel lining, but it doesn't appear that obvious in the photos compared to in-person:

Very fine results on the Yamato. And great photography too! 

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Very good work on that Yamato! And I actually like the replaced missile launcher.

Lol, sometimes I get a little OCD so I'm surprised I didn't go through my lawn with a fine tooth comb trying to find it.  

So, after building this thing, I got a little confidence and went back to revisit a 1/72 scale VF-1S Strike I started about 10 years ago.  Holy crap that little thing is complex.  The lines on the Hasegawa are also super fine and I have a feeling it's going to come out looking like crap if I try to finish it.  I have a Hasegawa 1/48 Strike as well, and to be honest, it doesn't look any easier.

I might just go to the 2199 version of the 1/500 Yamato instead, haha!

On 7/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, peter said:

So, after building this thing, I got a little confidence and went back to revisit a 1/72 scale VF-1S Strike I started about 10 years ago.  Holy crap that little thing is complex.  The lines on the Hasegawa are also super fine and I have a feeling it's going to come out looking like crap if I try to finish it.

Well, if you want help building a Hasegawa VF, you've come to the right place. There are a lot of experts here who will be glad to help you.

While I'm not one of them, I will give you a few tips to get started.

- Don't be too afraid to start. Hase valks are challenging because they have some particular flaws in the molds, but not that much that you can't get a handle of it.

- Some basic skills you will need to Youtube are puttying and concealing panel lines, and polishing and glossing the Hase canopy. You might want to practice puttying on something else first if your concerned. But if you can do that, then the rest is easy.

- The first place to go is WCheng's Links to My Old Step by Step which is pinned here atop the Workshop main thread. Find any VF-1S guide, because all the Hase valks are the same and have the same issues.

Anyway, when you are ready to start, you can go slowly and post your work here with questions and I'm sure everyone will be there for you.

Go for it dude.

Okay, got this today:

107_0187.thumb.JPG.0562c4d5ff85bdc08a3294cd63a85d10.JPG

107_0189.thumb.JPG.dd60cf2ca7dd3b5283c0a06bfcac2a81.JPG

107_0188.JPG

It looks like "Condar" from the "Robotech Defenders" line (Fang of the Sun Dougram's "Bushman" if memory serves).

So...who thinks this model is doomed, and who thinks I can save it? Bets anyone?

Update: I apparently have most of the actual "Dougram" model as well (will take photos in a bit); just missing the head and weapons amongst a few other things.. I'm going to see if I can scratchbuild the missing parts on each.

Stay tuned... :D

Edited by pengbuzz

In today's episode of "what seems like the longest build in the history of the world".. we have a light grey base coat going down. Also attempted to cut out the cockpit clear parts yesterday.. I got soooo close, and then trimmed a bit to much... LOL..I have one more set to go..then I'm screwed and this will go up on the For Sale forums.. LOL? 

20180722_080811.jpg

15322687031526758721222400157908.jpg

22 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

In today's episode of "what seems like the longest build in the history of the world".. we have a light grey base coat going down. Also attempted to cut out the cockpit clear parts yesterday.. I got soooo close, and then trimmed a bit to much...

Surely its not the longest build in the world.

Were you using an Xacto to trip those canopies? Looks bad, but I wouldnt give up on it just for that. I'm sure someone who has the kit can recast it for you, maybe even the Captain himself if you ask him.  Check out how well the recast Fan Racer canopy came out by one of the members here. It has its own thread.

Yeh, that's what I used this morning to try on round 2, but this time I drew a "safe" outline in black sharpie before I went to work.  Attempt 2 came out better, so now I just have to VERY carefully file or sand down the parts to fit...which is easier than it sounds.  I dunno...I have a bad feeling about these cockpits looking right..to bad I already sealed the gear doors and sent the landing gear to NZEOD in New Zealand or I would seriously reconsider doing open canopies! :lol:

20180722_154408.jpg

Edited by derex3592

On 7/22/2018 at 3:34 PM, derex3592 said:

Yeh, that's what I used this morning to try on round 2, but this time I drew a "safe" outline in black sharpie before I went to work.  Attempt 2 came out better, so now I just have to VERY carefully file or sand down the parts to fit...which is easier than it sounds.  I dunno...I have a bad feeling about these cockpits looking right..to bad I already sealed the gear doors and sent the landing gear to NZEOD in New Zealand or I would seriously reconsider doing open canopies! :lol:

20180722_154408.jpg

I know how you feel! That's why mine is sitting on the shelf half painted. I knobbed up the canopy real good, and I only had one set to play with.

I really should check SSM store if replacements are available...

4 minutes ago, Thom said:

I know how you feel! That's why mine is sitting on the shelf half painted. I knobbed up the canopy real good, and I only had one set to play with.

Is there any way you and Derex could carve up wood bucks and do a "heat and smash" of the canopies?

As promised, pics of the Dougram as I got it:

107_0190.thumb.JPG.0049e114f771496e98131e1fc5e76e7e.JPG

107_0191.thumb.JPG.b1b360cfd225a8e9960a85670ef3a72a.JPG

After doing an inspection on this and the Bushman, I decided to save the Bushman for later and focus first on the Dougram. It needs duplicates of the shoulder and arm armors, hip block, a new cockpit, backpack, weapons pods, pilot and new knee and ankle joints. Also, one shoulder was snapped in half, so I reworked that.

Pics of current work:

107_0192.thumb.JPG.1f6ce2e8195e6f25a72d696d7096ea2b.JPG

107_0194.thumb.JPG.b002cf07ee3766441a2ec99011648b9c.JPG

107_0195.thumb.JPG.33e6dd6baf0a225c89a3300cce772c7e.JPG

With the age of the plastic, trying to salvage the snapped linkages on the old parts was a major waste of time, so i removed them. I opted instead to replace them with clip joints from 1/144 Gundam kits (leftovers I scored at a thrift store) that would last longer and allow for disassembly without prying apart fragile glue joints. I took apart the remaining pieces that were glues, sanded and re-glued them, and will wash components when they are assembles as module units.

The cockpit: while normally, scratching up a cockpit is a major hassle, the flat plates of the Dougram make this a lot easier:

827363031_Dougramcockpit.jpg.8ae1eb9d61ab56faba5edabf13b37e0a.jpg

It's nice to have reference pics:

1211788735_Dougram1.jpg.816570aa8d62d44ead6bb2699612f076.jpg

(Pics courtesy of BigBadToyStore)

Stay tuned folks...

Edited by pengbuzz

35 minutes ago, Thom said:

No model should languish on the Shelf of Doom. :D

John used to provide a copy of the buck as a cutting template. Does your kit have that? If so and you are willing to send it down to me I can vac form replacements for anyone who wants them. I had to vac form visors for the Gnerl pilot and have some left over thermoform clear plastic.

Cheers,

Brett 

I know mine didn't come with anything like that to my knowledge, and I got mine straight from John a couple of years ago. Great to have the offer though!!! I still have no earthly idea how I'm going to make the ones I have work, the 2nd set is better, but still very no-fitting at the moment, and not to mention a few other minor issues. :(

Turns out I do have the resin bucks the canopies were formed in. I'm still hoping to get word about replacing them, but if not I'll have to give press-molding them a try. Another option is to find misc canopies that fit, and since I'm building mine as a later, modified version that could work too.

Edited by Thom

Update:

The Dougram project just skidded to a permanent halt; while working on it, my hand slipped off one of the parts as i was test-fitting the pieces for modification and collided with the main body of the mode.

Upon impact, all the blue pieces disintegrated. Total Loss.

Thanks for tuning in folks, but with the amount of fragments, I think this one is out of my hands.

On that note: I'm taking a hiatus from MWF. Burned out, depressed and just hate life right now.

Be back in roughly 6 months (more or less)

Edited by pengbuzz

After several weeks I just finished my latest kit: Pretty Armor Ver. 3 White Version (a Chinese Fram Arms Gurl bootleg kit). Despite I did not plan to build more of those girls anymore ;) I was taken by the white/blue design of the jet bike and I gave this kit a try (Damn, wished to ride such a bike for real :rolleyes:). Did some minor changes towards the original design in adding golden frame and suspension parts and the grey Macross UN Spacy logo of course! (Leftover from a VT-1 decal set). I didn't like the provided 6-edged star decals, as these look really boring in contradiction to the logo with flames on the kits' box art. Also the girl got an enclosed biker suit in white/light grey color to match the UN Spacy logo :D.

Unfortunately the bike can not do a complete transformation into an armor for the girl. Attached on the bike you can fold out the cover parts to "burst mode" but to use it as an armor on the girl you have to detach them. But as for me the normal bike mode looks best, I don't think I will transform it anyway.

IMG_3249.thumb.jpg.21e5a70d27316095b740fe61e71aafa4.jpg

IMG_3253.thumb.jpg.49ddf33612b29197df431c3bbca24242.jpg

CrossAir, That's some superb paint finish. I think you're on a roll.

Electric Indigo, Not sure where you're going to end up with that yummy burnt tone, but I can't wait to see,

Derex, Don't give up. I'm sure you will find a solution for the canopy. It shouldn't slow you down on the body anyway, while you figure it out with a little help from your friends.

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

I never cared much for these kits, but with your paintjob it looks pretty sharp.

Yes, that's enough feminine touch on the shelf by now. Next has to be some kind of mecha again! ;)

22 minutes ago, arbit said:

Electric Indigo, Not sure where you're going to end up with that yummy burnt tone, but I can't wait to see,

+1 for Electric Indigo. I don't like the original green coloring of the Ji-Dao. But I bet Indogos will look awesome!

Gave me some inspiration in finding the color of my Frame Arms Greifen kit which I have in backlog.

Finally finished my VF-11B from Macross Plus.

1566169083_WhatsAppImage2018-07-28at19_14_58.thumb.jpeg.e6524ab877a74e19f1f672f01f342bdd.jpeg1082329553_WhatsAppImage2018-07-28at19_14.58(1).thumb.jpeg.fd30115f90c6b54122cd3d53bf45bdb6.jpeg

Sorry for the bad pictures. I really need to build a lightbox or something. The washing turned out a bit dirtier than I wanted it to be. I was also watching through Macross Plus to get the colors right, as the colors provided in the Hasegawa manual didn't seem right. Sadly, during build up the main body seams ripped open. It seems that due to sanding works they became a bit too thin...

Next Project:

729054970_WhatsAppImage2018-07-29at09_24_49.thumb.jpeg.d12e8409f9de18d19255f797e7ac3fc0.jpeg

My first Wave kit :D

1836290794_WhatsAppImage2018-07-29at13_31_50.thumb.jpeg.b89c24d4234669d775f307fa6ef3c5b3.jpeg1777260258_WhatsAppImage2018-07-29at18_54.30(1).thumb.jpeg.888e8ebd548691deb4860b5d1e631d04.jpeg486473532_WhatsAppImage2018-07-29at18_54_30.thumb.jpeg.e55b7d0fd4d845cb38368389170c0e1b.jpeg

So far everything fits nicely. No idea how to to the main engines exhaust yet. If I airbrush it before glueing it together I'll probably have some issues with color rubbing off during sanding. Maybe I have to tape everything first. I'll come up with something.

2 minutes ago, Urashiman said:

Finally finished my VF-11B from Macross Plus.

Wow, you nailed the classic scheme. What were your ratios for the gray and orange?

(I really need someone to teach me how to improve my painting. I get a grainy finish, and my gloss is useless...)