Jump to content
Urashiman

Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Recommended Posts

That's an assembly line! Dang! Wish I had that many hands to build kits, my to build pile would go quick! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, derex3592 said:

That's an assembly line! Dang! Wish I had that many hands to build kits, my to build pile would go quick! :lol:

lol! House is probably filled with kits now, right? :D

On another note folks: had to fix my previous post, as my pics in that one turned into links.

(I HATE when that happens!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice recovery on the 'cat! The plaque is looking good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Thom said:

Getting deep into the paint!

gDyRW31.jpg

 

Really looking good there! I like that you're painting in the red rather than any sort of decal for it (haven't worked with the Nu-BGS Moebius kits, so I'm not sure what they come with!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The decals on the Moebius nu-Galactica were sh*t as I remember.  The A-Creation??? aftermarkets I got were fantastic. @505thAirborne might be able to chime in here on that subject

Edited by derex3592

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem I ever had with Moebius decals were those with the Viper Mk II. The long red stripes literally just broke apart, but that was years ago now. A new kit may have better decals, though the ones with the Galactica, mainly the flight deck decals, went down alright.

For this model, I didn't use the Pegasus decals and it doesn't supply any red stripes or sections as decals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt my ears burning! :lol:

I had the same issue with the MKII Viper decals, I ended up spray painting on the red stripes, it beat the frustration of the decals cracking apart. The smaller decals weren't as bad. 

The decals for the Galactica & Pegasus I felt were much more user friendly... not perfect but good overall. I never got to try the Aztec Acreation decals, but other modelers have sworn by them. 

That Mercury Class is looking great Thom! (I so miss having a Hobby Shop that carries Tamiya paints). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Have to do a little more painting to neaten the red up, but it's getting close.

And the closest HS that sells Tamiya near me is just over an away. Frustrating, though I have been able to get what I need through the mail when I can't make the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kansas City is about 45 minutes from me and none of the shops there carry Tamiya either, so it's online only for me. Look forward to the completed Pegasus! 

A few months ago I gave up trying to complete Mirages 1/72 Bandai kit, it's a rather fiddly kit IMO, plus the stickers & decals are a pain. So I lightly glued it together in fighter mode since I have Mirages DX version.

Not having the funds for three DX 31A's as I had hoped for I decided to free the  1/72 Valk and rebuild it as a VF-31A Battroid. I have a bit of clean up to do and painting yet with five (5) other 31A fighters this will make up for not having a large DX fleet. B))

 

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Kansas City is about 45 minutes from me and none of the shops there carry Tamiya either, so it's online only for me. Look forward to the completed Pegasus! 

 

Hobby Town USA on North Oak carries Tamiya's products...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rock said:

Hobby Town USA on North Oak carries Tamiya's products...

Thanks Rock! I haven't been there in a long time, totally forgot they do. B))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

 

IMG_1321.JPG

 

Seeing it in grey gives me some ideas :ph34r::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nyankodevice said:

Seeing it in grey gives me some ideas :ph34r::D

I look forward to seeing your ideas! B))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good Thom!

Your -31's are coming along nicely 505!

Being nearly fininshed with the Dougram Tequilla Gunner, I used some Tamiya Matt Base and decided to cover some decaled areas with it. BIG mistake! It turned white and I had to clean it all off. Not sure what happened since it was the first time I used it. After cleaning it up and finishing the weathering, I am calling the build done. I just have to paint the crew now! - MT

0309181506.jpg

0311181240.jpg

0311181239c.jpg

0311181240d.jpg

0311181254g.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Robotech-igy is absolutely gorgeous, I really want this kind of weathering finish and your work is inspiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a cool looking walker, MechTech!

505, those valks are looking pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Xigfrid and Thom.

In case you didn't see it, I gave a description of how to do it on the previous thread page. I like it because it is so EASY and not a lot of painting is involved. - MT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 9:38 PM, MechTech said:

Being nearly fininshed with the Dougram Tequilla Gunner, I used some Tamiya Matt Base and decided to cover some decaled areas with it. BIG mistake! It turned white and I had to clean it all off. Not sure what happened since it was the first time I used it. After cleaning it up and finishing the weathering, I am calling the build done. I just have to paint the crew now! - MT

What was that!!! Good thing you were able to clean it off. Were you meaning to matt coat it? Looks like a matt primer to me... But that's why I don't do any weathering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MT - the flat base is something you have to add to paint.  The idea is that you add it to glossy paints so you can get a different finish (flat, semi-gloss, etc...). If you use it all by itself (or even thin it) it's basically like chalk dust.  Lucky it came off though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I thought it was a matt coat, and yes, thankfully it came off pretty easy! Thinned, it was chalk dust - even felt like it on my hands!

Thanks Mickyg, I was wondering about that. Now I know. I've had bottles for years and never used them, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Oh well, it will be good for making washes with since only a little is needed. - MT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Glad it didn't cause you too much grief.  The stuff absolutely needs an instruction booklet with it!  I bought some years ago and had no idea what to do.  Ended up finding a tutorial somewhere once properly armed with info, managed to use it with Gunze clear gloss (acrylic type) and got a really good finish.  You can also mix it with Future in varying amounts to go from semi gloss, right down to dead flat, based purely on the proportion of flat medium you mix in.

Obviously it also works great for turning gloss acrylic paints flat, too as I'm pretty sure this is precisely what it's designed for.  As I recall, there are a ton of FS colors from Gunze that only come in gloss.

Edited by mickyg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Several weeks ago I was in search for a new modeling project and came across Kotobukiyas’ Frame Arms series. So I ordered some kits. The delivery of the two packets from Japan was quick but unfortunately the main packet is stuck in customs even now (almost four weeks) :angry:. I received my smaller delivery consisting of the kits for the Blitz Gunner and the Revolving Buster Cannon to support the Frame Arms robots. I had lots of time to build these two kits, but now as they were finished two weeks ago I’m in some sort of modeling deprivation as there is nothing to build any more. At least I took some pictures of my recent work and gave the Buster Cannon in hands of my VF-25A Super. Suits it well I think ;)

IMG_2537.thumb.jpg.29898568d08925dde201d1644d3b9cfb.jpgIMG_2534.thumb.jpg.b5a29cee1b00f11f5d55a0290090082d.jpgIMG_2539.thumb.jpg.f676ea3fee6154767f81e1fdac7b5c66.jpgIMG_2542.thumb.jpg.543ce785ed9192528003c059872a74b6.jpg

Edited by CrossAir
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks MickyG, I'll have to remember that!

The cannon is awesome CrossAir! My son and I got that a couple of months ago. He got the sentry guna nd I got the cannon. Then we saw the video for the motorized bit that goes in there, so we just HAD to order them for our kits. The cannon and even rotary cannon look great in action! Did you get the motorized gimmick to go with your kits?

NOT MY VIDEO, but shows everyone how cool they are.

Next kit in line is relatively more simple, the Native Dancer from Dougram (J. Locke's main vehicle). I thought it was cool the first time I built ti in the 80's and I STILL think it is a cool looking design. I also have the Max Factory 1/72 scale version to go with it. Only 3 of my Dougram models will be 1/48th. The rest will be 1/72nd.

Most of my Saturday was taken up making a precision chuck on bearings to go on my lathe. I made one before, but it had issues. This one spins true and will allow me to make thin parts more easily on the lathe. Not all parts can have a hole drilled in them to rotate around, this fixes that and allows me to pull on parts making them spin outward less. Thank God this came out good. It helps makes up for our minivan getting totaled this week! Some lady cut across my wife and got the "Daedalus Attack" (T-boned) for it. Hopefully the insurance covers a new minivan! - MT

0318181549e.jpg

0318181548a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MechTech said:

The cannon is awesome CrossAir! My son and I got that a couple of months ago. He got the sentry guna nd I got the cannon. Then we saw the video for the motorized bit that goes in there, so we just HAD to order them for our kits. The cannon and even rotary cannon look great in action! Did you get the motorized gimmick to go with your kits?

Yeah, just ordered the generator kit yesterday :D

And good luck that your insurance will cover everything and you don't have to take a cut in kit building! :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good progress today on the Cat's Eye, you may notice the bandaid.. that wasn't good... xacto knife slip and pretty substantial slice on the side of the thumb.. resin kits... gotta love em... 

20180318_174931.jpg

20180318_174944.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2018 at 4:01 PM, derex3592 said:

Thanks 505th!  Feels good to get your hands dirty sometimes..however...this is the part I hate most about resin kits..the prep cleaning stage. I would seriously pay more to have the parts prepped and sent to me ready to primer and paint from the makers of the kits.  Trying to do justice to Cap's kit, but I've already had some oopses when trimming and sanding down some of the wing parts, putty will be needed! I'm still deciding if I want to go gear up "in flight" as seen in the anime, or gear down on a nice runway base of some kind.  I'm not going for anything super fancy on the paint scheme, just more or less what was seen in SDF. 

 

 

Wheels up or down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

leaning towards wheels up in atmospheric flight mode, possibly flying over a Mars red planet base of some kind, but haven't completely made up my mind yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'l  buy your wheels if you do. My two have been.... fun to set up on the carrier decks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 6:38 PM, MechTech said:

Looking good Thom!

Your -31's are coming along nicely 505!

Being nearly fininshed with the Dougram Tequilla Gunner, I used some Tamiya Matt Base and decided to cover some decaled areas with it. BIG mistake! It turned white and I had to clean it all off. Not sure what happened since it was the first time I used it. After cleaning it up and finishing the weathering, I am calling the build done. I just have to paint the crew now! - MT

Tamiya's Flat Base is not a clear coat, it is used when mixing your own paints to create flat paints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thanks MickyG, I'll have to remember that!

The cannon is awesome CrossAir! My son and I got that a couple of months ago. He got the sentry guna nd I got the cannon. Then we saw the video for the motorized bit that goes in there, so we just HAD to order them for our kits. The cannon and even rotary cannon look great in action! Did you get the motorized gimmick to go with your kits?

NOT MY VIDEO, but shows everyone how cool they are.

Next kit in line is relatively more simple, the Native Dancer from Dougram (J. Locke's main vehicle). I thought it was cool the first time I built ti in the 80's and I STILL think it is a cool looking design. I also have the Max Factory 1/72 scale version to go with it. Only 3 of my Dougram models will be 1/48th. The rest will be 1/72nd.

Most of my Saturday was taken up making a precision chuck on bearings to go on my lathe. I made one before, but it had issues. This one spins true and will allow me to make thin parts more easily on the lathe. Not all parts can have a hole drilled in them to rotate around, this fixes that and allows me to pull on parts making them spin outward less. Thank God this came out good. It helps makes up for our minivan getting totaled this week! Some lady cut across my wife and got the "Daedalus Attack" (T-boned) for it. Hopefully the insurance covers a new minivan! - MT

0318181549e.jpg

0318181548a.jpg

What kind of lathe do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Blanc would have loved that gun, Crossair! Pretty cool.

Galactic Diva, nice mod to the fuselage engines. Did something similar. Also doing mine gear up, though it's in limbo at the moment.

My current build is just short of assembly. Needs some touch up here and there and then it's onto decals!

mEhDsv7.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×