Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

That's a really sweet display...how is the Gerwalk VF-1JĀ suspended in mid-air? ...and is it a model? Ā 

thxĀ :lol:

its a hasegawa GERWALK kit

and its suspended like this... temporary solution though,

as im planning to make the entire "rig"Ā in plexiglas

IMG_20170720_220140.thumb.jpg.921381d70f5c120a0051a7143096ddb2.jpg

IMG_20170720_220146.thumb.jpg.c3528685762286744306cbcad793aefb.jpg

Long time to finish this up, as I really haven't had a plan for it, this was my 1st 1:72 Bandai transformable kit. Pretty impressive for a cheap model. But I wouldn't do another one. I'll stick with the DXs. Still.. turned out pretty good I guess.. kind of a VF-31 Cannon Fodder Squad Leader type color scheme maybe???Ā 

20170722_164940.jpg

20170722_164902.jpg

20170722_164851.jpg

20170722_164838.jpg

20170722_164824.jpg

@derex3592 I like the low viz version much better than the "official" schemes. For myself, I hope that Bandai will release the "low viz" version seen in the anime when the delta squadron launched from the deck. Kind of full dark grey theme.

@arbit Great use of electronics. Someday when it is so miniaturized that the electronic can be embarked,Ā  I must try that.

Ā 

3 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

@derex3592 i really like the colors. Close to the colors used for 31A, What color is that?

uhhhh....it's been a while since I painted it...one of the Tamiya TS or AS light grey's....can't remember which one off the top of my head, decanted and airbrushed it.Ā 

1 minute ago, derex3592 said:

uhhhh....it's been a while since I painted it...one of the Tamiya TS or AS light grey's....can't remember which one off the top of my head, decanted and airbrushed it.Ā 

thanks, it means I can have access to it since I am spray painting. So I just need to try out three possible Light gray from tamiya (irc, two AS and one TS)

58 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

thanks, it means I can have access to it since I am spray painting. So I just need to try out three possible Light gray from tamiya (irc, two AS and one TS)

Did you check @wmkjr the 0B and 0C conversion thread here ?

As described there are different greys used in both repaints:

VF-0B:Ā  AS-16 light grey & AS-20 Insignia white

VF-0C:Ā  TS-81 Royal light grey & AS-7 Neutral grey

Ā 

The Nautilus came out great Arbit! Congratulations! The Nausiscaa and Kai look great too! I built that like 27 years ago. Lot it since. I liked that kit. Thinking of getting the others to build with my children now.

You guys are going to make me get out my Nausicaa gunship and build it.

Sorry I haven't been on the boards guys. I'm on my last three weeks of college. Busy building my portfolio website and several projects due each week. Soon back to model building! - MT

22 hours ago, MechTech said:

The Nautilus came out great Arbit! Congratulations! The Nausiscaa and Kai look great too! I built that like 27 years ago. Lot it since. I liked that kit. Thinking of getting the others to build with my children now.

Thanks Mechtech. That means a lot coming from you. Ā 

Regarding the Nautilus, I am still trying to solve the creaking sound. I was able to make the wings open smoothly by sanding, but the creaking only came after I closed it.

As you suggested, I have ordered some RC pure silicone shock oil with medium viscosity.

Do you know if it will damage the paint?

Arbit, thanks! The silicone will get everywhere so only use a LITTLE bit. It is thick now, but it gets into everything. So only apply a thin amount to the moving surfaces. My oils drawer has a soaked paper towel in it from the silicone oil escaping through the cap.

Nice finish and crackling effect Mr. Jones. It convincing. - MT

3 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

I've been way off the Macross area -- doing some heavily weathered stuff in Warhammer 40k :Ā 

Ā 

zY84WmB.jpg

37l6t8e.jpg

Ah, my old(new) nemesis, the onager. I hate these things on the battlefeild.

On a side note, looking good. I keep wanting to post my own work, but keep forgetting to take pictures.

On 7/25/2017 at 0:40 PM, Focslain said:

Ah, my old(new) nemesis, the onager. I hate these things on the battlefeild.

On a side note, looking good. I keep wanting to post my own work, but keep forgetting to take pictures.

Did some more work -- nearly done nowĀ 

Ā 

k2RCKxf.jpg

2ncWlyK.jpg

15 hours ago, electric indigo said:

How did you build the base? The rock structure looks pretty interesting.

Base is a combination of :

I've done stuff with the cork before, but the other items were all an experiment -- I like how it turned out overall.Ā 

Basically first thing is to tear up the cork and create your elevation with the trivet pieces -- once you have that, its time to slather on the other products -- the two gels first, which dried and then some crackle paste to create the crackled areas.

Next time I make one I'll take some progress shots.

Added some colour to the base -- going for a bit of an alien hellscape sort of look -- I wanted to bring in some purple but not in an overpowering manner so playing with it in the shadows. Still playing with it -- it needs more contrast to draw the eye in certain places.

MCmcABh.jpg

Ā