Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Been away for a loooong while, went to the Con last month and totally reinvigorated my interest in Macross so here's what I'm working on.

14956585_10207714346400294_1761889222778

Welcome back buddy! I did that kit many years ago, it's great! Looking good. Also never seen anyone finish the Spiderbug kit, I missed that one. Edited by derex3592

Wow! I missed a whole thread of stuff doing schoolwork! Those stands came out great NZEOD!

With all that green in your life, you need a computer to dub background graphics into it like a movie set :lol: - MT

Lots of great work going on here :)

Well, after some time in the US, Japan, & Indonesia for work, minor progress has been made on 31.

Thought I'd add a splash of colour to see what things look like. Neither the camouflage pattern nor the colours are 100%, but they are good for project morale.

6BD68F05-8CF3-4B0D-BCB9-477A5DBC9FB5_zps

Comments welcome.

are you painting it to Camp standard or deployment standard?

Wow! I missed a whole thread of stuff doing schoolwork! Those stands came out great NZEOD!

With all that green in your life, you need a computer to dub background graphics into it like a movie set :lol: - MT

Thats being looked into after someone mentioned that earlier

Lots of great work going on here :)

Well, after some time in the US, Japan, & Indonesia for work, minor progress has been made on 31.

Thought I'd add a splash of colour to see what things look like. Neither the camouflage pattern nor the colours are 100%, but they are good for project morale.

6BD68F05-8CF3-4B0D-BCB9-477A5DBC9FB5_zps

Comments welcome.

That's coming along real good. And all scratch. Damn...

Here's what's currently on my bench. Tamiya's 1/48 Ki-46 Dinah Recon plane.

P1kAkhk.jpg

Repptu 1/72 VF-4 time tonight in VFA-41 Black Aces CAG 2015 Colours

f-a-18f-vfa-41-black-aces-cag-2015-jp-19

I just need to sort out a plan for replacing the NG tail code of Pacific Fleet CVW-9 aboard the CVN-74 John C Stennis, as that never left atmosphere...

Suggestions welcomed.

Edited by NZEOD

well... lessons learnt... check your packages you get from overseas before getting excited about building a model.

The VF-4 was similar LOOKING to my other resin one but thats where the similarities ended! This ones made from a hollow grey vinyl resin. How the hell do you get the joints on THAT looking nice?? It doesnt like sanding and is flexible.

Not cool.

yeah.... and the second ones not far behind this one. Wings folded on the second one. There are some parts on this that drive you insane!

Got a bit more done last night. Progress is good but getting stuck doing tedious masking sucks. There are so many tiny ridges and lines that you have to mask around in order to get the scheme to look right. The intake "plugs" especially. It makes me appreciate the tampo printing on these things, that much more.

My plans of leaving a slightly worn undercoat to paint over were partially successful, there's definitely a certain "used" look to the white I painted that I really like. However, I went the lazy route and didn't strip the blue on the shoulder missile covers. I figured I'd completely overcoat them with white anyway, so why bother.

Coverage was not ideal though. And I didn't paint heavy enough. And those white stripes around the perimeter of the cover stick out quite obviously. Probably will end up redoing it.

The good news is that I managed to mask the arrow and other white label on the covers, using a very carefully cut piece of tamiya tape. Not something I want to do again any time soon but I was pleased with the end result. Incidentally, I think they're meant to be warning labels and not just random shapes, but whatever...

I struggled with a lot of the masking until I remembered I had some Humbrol masking fluid in the "bucket 'o tools" that was an absolute dream. In fact, I used it to mask around some very complex shapes, using nothing but a toothpick to apply it! Definite win in this situation.

Paints used were Mr Color lacquer White (FS17875) and plain old Tamiya red, with a tiny amount of Gunze aqueous yellow to take out some of the blue tinge this red has. The lacquer white is actually a slightly warm white - perfect for the white accents but not so good for the pure white of Alto's scheme.

Both were thinned with Gunze levelling thinner (which isn't what's there in the pic) and I have to say, this is the best experience I've ever had air brushing! I thinned heavily (2 to 1 thinner to paint, I'd say) and a few drops of each was all I needed to get this done. The paint went down very smooth, and surprisingly glossy.

Still a bit more to do but progress is progress.

post-10360-0-61051500-1479436184_thumb.jpg

Edited by mickyg

NZEOD, I actually built up the original VF-4 in vinyl. The trick is to heat up pieces in hot water (don't boil 'em) and then get them to line up and fit better. Then just superglue and fill a little if needed. Nope, you can't sand it. I had to shave it with an XActo where the parts just didn't fit right. Still looked cool though! - MT

I struggled with a lot of the masking until I remembered I had some Humbrol masking fluid in the "bucket 'o tools" that was an absolute dream. In fact, I used it to mask around some very complex shapes, using nothing but a toothpick to apply it! Definite win in this situation.

I use the Masking Sol. But I find it doesnt stick well enough and flakes off easily.

Those Zentradi command ships look awesome! I was always disappointed with the plastic model kit of it and even thought about kit-bashing to try and fix it. I'd think about getting one like those, but those are pricey!

Currently progressing on my bench.

XmcxX2m.jpg

Edited by Thom

yeah... hes learnt to stack the chairs up to climb up on the bench, sweep iot clear of what hes not looking for in search of food... first thing to get swept off was the plane. We found it spread over the ground by the wall so quite a flight! Stood up well, luckily with mostly only the glue joints failing.

NZEOD, I would have cried! Glad the damage wasn't too terrible.

I use the Masking Sol. But I find it doesnt stick well enough and flakes off easily.

I actually found it worked really well as far as sticking went. But I didn't like it for direct borders of the paint. I found the paint sat over the edge of the mask and because the mask isn't a hard edge like tape, it was more prone to lifting the paint right off the part instead of coming away cleanly. Lesson learned...

I have pretty well finished the red scheme on the super parts now. I removed the red on the "stripes" on the missile covers with a cotton swab and windex - even though the red was thinned with lacquer thinner, that has no impact on what works as a solvent for the Tamiya water based paint.

That revealed the Mr Color lacquer paint underneath and then sprayed Mr Color gray over the top of the white, to bring it back to a more muted and easily covered base:

post-10360-0-20552300-1479689993_thumb.jpg

Then I finished the red on the rest of the parts, as well as painting the blue hip gun parts with my white lacquer paint.

post-10360-0-83672100-1479690009_thumb.jpg

Unmasking the next morning was fun! But that's also when I learned the maskol has a tendancy to lift the paint right off the part if you're not careful. You can see some of my attempts at weathering/blast damage on the chest part and the intake cover parts here:

post-10360-0-56321800-1479690025_thumb.jpg

All that's left to do is add the decals for 007, and flat coat the parts to protect the paint.

Not a terribly time consuming project but the masking was definitely tricky (and I'm still not happy with the way the intake covers turned out).

Oh, and I painted that silly, bland crotch armor as well. It's subtle but adds a bit to what's otherwise a strangely boring piece.

Edited by mickyg

Sorry NZEOD! I feel your pain (the pain you can't feel anyhow :( ). From the first photo to the second photo... My two year old somehow got up on my shelves and just LOVED what was in the box - no matter how many time she got chewed out! Never did get it totally restored. Had rubber tires too. - MT

post-2518-0-04673500-1479702177_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-37972900-1479702209_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-83486000-1479702290_thumb.jpg