Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

At the end of the day, a model is a display piece. Any styrene model that 'transforms' is going to get scratched, busted, scuffed etc because the fine finishes you can put on will get destroyed by moving parts. In the 'real world' those moving parts aren't painted for a reason! If you want transforming Valkyries, then the toys are the way to go.

in effect, the 1/60v.II has very much spoiled me for any other scale replica iteration of the VF-1
and has totally destroyed my ability to suspend disbelief in any fixed-form VF-1 model

that attempts to fool the eye into belief that the model can transform when it in fact cannot.

I'm sorry, I don't get it. Why bother with the models at all then. just collect the V.ii.1:60th scale Yamatos and be done with it. Why set yourself up for disappointment?

Edited by Chas

VF-1S1-72HASEGAWA9-9-11.jpg

just received this thing a couple days back.

i can already tell that, while this is definitely the best fixed-mode VF-1 model that's ever crossed my way,

and it definitely does a superb job of simulating a variable-form aircraft, by early-2000's standards,

it very much pales in comparison to a modern meisterwerk such as that of the YAMATO 1/60v.II,

in it's precisely-balanced overall proportions, and accuracy in portrayal of an honest-to-goodness,

fully functional scale replica, in three dimensions, of a fighter jet that happens to transform into a robot.

in effect, the 1/60v.II has very much spoiled me for any other scale replica iteration of the VF-1,

as it is, IMO, the FIRST, and ONLY VF-1 replica to date that has been carefully and accurately engineered

as a fully functional transforming aircraft in three-dimensional, real-world physics,

with absolutely no compromise. engineered in service to itself, as a variable Aircraft/Mecha,

not in service to the ultimately flawed original early-1980's line art, nor in service to looking "Best" in one specific form.

in sum, to restate myself, all this has totally spoiled me for any other scale iteration of the VF-1,

and has totally destroyed my ability to suspend disbelief in any fixed-form VF-1 model

that attempts to fool the eye into belief that the model can transform when it in fact cannot.

that said, perhaps the HASEGAWA's new 1/48 version can succeed where this older 1/72 has ultimately failed?

As with Petar and Chas, I think you're ignoring the many advantages of styrene. Personally I'll never buy a yamato toy, because its just that to me... a toy. I don't "play" with my models after they are built, so a non-transformable kit with aerodynamic proportions is what I'm looking for.

The 1/72 (and 48) Hasegawa kits is to me is the most accurate representation of the VF-1 in flight mode. There are no large transformation break lines that you wouldn't see on a real aircraft. The Yamato 1/60 kit looks like a toy with them. They also don't have the fine details that the Hasegawa kit has.

Finally I have 50+ 1/72 aircraft that I can display my VF-1s with... how many 1/60 aircraft do you have?

Edited by Noyhauser

Not ignoring a thing.

Personally I prefer the models, just taking Shaorin at his word, and wondering why, if he prefers the 1/60's so much, he would bother with the models?

I didn't find anything in his posts that pointed to a possible explanation, or reason for his decision to go with the Hase kits instead of the Yamoto 1/60's, which he obviously owns and prefers. (not that he needs to explain himself at all, it just seemed odd to me, so I asked.)

Edited by Chas

I'm sorry, I don't get it. Why bother with the models at all then. just collect the V.ii.1:60th scale Yamatos and be done with it. Why set yourself up for disappointment?

cause i was always curious about the 1/72 HASE kits, ever since they first came out,

and have always had a nagging yen to give one a shot one of these days.

i started out in MACROSS fandom with the old, awful fixed-mode 1/100 ARII kits, back in the early 1990's,

and ever since the HASE's came about, back in 2001, i had been feeling that i should come full-circle, so to speak,

and give the "New" 1/72 FIGHTER, and perhaps the BATTROID as well, a spin.

alas, i underestimated the high standard that the current Yammie 1/60v.II has set for me,

and as elegant and beautiful a FIGHTER as this 1/72 makes, it simply does not come even close

to accurately imitating a portrayal of a properly proportioned, fully functional replica

of the three-form, variable fighter that is the VF-1, as the 1/60v.II so elegantly accomplishes.

to be honest, after nearly 20 years of having to make-do with fixed-mode VF-1 models,

none of which have ever taken even remotely into account that what they are so poorly attempting to portray

is in fact a sleek fighter jet that transforms into a sleek humanoid Mecha,

i just simply burned myself completely out of VF-1 models that cut a "Romantic" and mutually incompatible portrayal

of the war machine in each of it's three variable forms.

in sum, i thought i could set this mindset of mine aside, and enjoy attempting this 1/72 as a sentimental "Tribute"

to how it all started for me with MACROSS, but what i did not fully realize, until i got this kit,

was that my 1/60v.II VF-1J Ichijo T.V. did ALL of that for me, and more, in ways that this 1/72,

nor any other fixed-form HASE VF-1 kit, it would seem, ever could.

sadly, all this model has done in effect is "Backfire" on me, and open old wounds of a long period

in which i had long lusted for, and dreamed of, something quite exactly like what the Yammie 1/60v.II is,

but had to make-do, for WAY too damned long, on deeply flawed old fixed-mode VF-1 model kits.

don't worry; i've learned my lesson; the 1/60v.II is my GOLD STANDARD for VF-1 replicas, and there simply is no going back for me...

Edited by Shaorin

Not ignoring a thing.

Personally I prefer the models, just taking Shaorin at his word, and wondering why, if he prefers the 1/60's so much, he would bother with the models?

I didn't find anything in his posts that pointed to a possible explanation, or reason for his decision to go with the Hase kits instead of the Yamoto 1/60's, which he obviously owns and prefers. (not that he needs to explain himself at all, it just seemed odd to me, so I asked.)

I didn't say that you were ignoring, rather that he/she was ignoring major advantages of a plastic model, like realism. Sharoin claims that the Yamato is more realistic, which was what I was disagreeing with.

I didn't say that you were ignoring, rather that he/she was ignoring major advantages of a plastic model, like realism. Sharoin claims that the Yamato is more realistic, which was what I was disagreeing with.

actually, the 1/60v.II IS a more realistic portrayal of the VF-1. why?

because it is carefully and precisely proportioned to reflect exactly what a VF-1 would have to be designed like

in order to pull off a three form transformation in the three-dimensional, physical real-world, had technology advanced far enough along

to make such a variable-form military vehicle possible in the first place.

i, for one, see the 1/60v.II as no simple "Toy" but a precision scale replica of a theoretical advanced combat vehicle design

that is simply not possible to realize with current technology, but nevertheless functions beautifully as a functional scale mock-up...

Edited by Shaorin

Sorry for the misread. Got it now. No offence taken and I hope my post didn't cause any.

actually, the 1/60v.II IS a more realistic portrayal of the VF-1. why?

because it is carefully and precisely proportioned to reflect exactly what a VF-1 would have to be designed like

in order to pull off a three form transformation in the three-dimensional, physical real-world, had technology advanced far enough along

to make such a variable-form military vehicle possible in the first place.

i, for one, see the 1/60v.II as no simple "Toy" but a precision scale replica of a theoretical advanced combat vehicle design

that is simply not possible to realize with current technology, but nevertheless functions beautifully as a functional scale mock-up...

But it isn't, nor will it ever be. You don't see massive trenches on modern fighter aircraft. I and other modelers spend days on models to fill in seam lines, while adding painstaking detail. As for the proportions, I don't really agree because there isn't really an established convention for its exact proportions. Also I don't think the proportions look that great at fighter. It makes the fighter look stubby and unflyable in my mind. (see photo below)

Furthermore In order to enable transformation Yamato makes unacceptable compromises that make it unattractive as an accurate representation. For modelers the following is unacceptable even with weathering and cosmetic enhancement:

f-10.JPG

f-12.JPG

Do you see anything like that in the photos in this link?

But it isn't, nor will it ever be. You don't see massive trenches on modern fighter aircraft. [...]

Nor you see modern fighter aircraft transforming.

Some compromises are necessary for a transformable toy. Some people prefer perfection, some others the fun of playing. Just let the guy be.

sadly, all this model has done in effect is "Backfire" on me, and open old wounds of a long period

in which i had long lusted for, and dreamed of, something quite exactly like what the Yammie 1/60v.II is,

but had to make-do, for WAY too damned long, on deeply flawed old fixed-mode VF-1 model kits.

don't worry; i've learned my lesson; the 1/60v.II is my GOLD STANDARD for VF-1 replicas, and there simply is no going back for me...

Well then I'd say getting ther kit was well worth it for you! You'd found what you'd been looking for, but had 1 last lingering doubt, and now you know (with the Yamatos) that you have truly found what you've always wanted.

So you gonna build it or resell it?

Nor you see modern fighter aircraft transforming.

Some compromises are necessary for a transformable toy. Some people prefer perfection, some others the fun of playing. Just let the guy be.

EXACTLY.

my point was; that the Yammie 1/60v.II is the closest anyone has yet come to date

to crafting an accurate, fully transformable VF-1 replica that comes as close as possible, for it's scale and price point,

to precisely depicting exactly what the VF-1 would end up being designed like in the real world, as an honest to goodness three-form variable airframe,

if such a vehicle was even possible.

YAMATO's engineers bent over backwards to attempt to design a fully variable VF-1 replica that nose-tip to tail-tip, wing to wing,

takes into exacting account that it is a sleek fighter aircraft that transforms into a somewhat less-sleek "BATTROID" humanoid robot form.

as such, i personally see the 1/60v.II FIGHTER mode's proportions not as "chunky" "inaccurate" or "compromised"

but as an exacting depiction of just what a real-life VF-1 would most likely look like, were it to be capable of everything that it is supposed to be.

in the end, i suppose that some MACROSS fans are content to pretend that the VF-1 is an aerospace fighter that DOES NOT transform,

or perhaps that it actually does, but that the smaller, "Sleeker" elements to be found in the many "Fanciful" replica depictions of it's FIGHTER mode

somehow magically grow in size and/or modestly change shape when the vehicle shifts to it's BATTROID form.

myself, however, after SO many years of being forced to live with "Anime Magic" in my MACROSS replicas, i am quite sick to death of it,

and am ever so thankful to YAMATO, for all the amazing engineering miracles that they have managed to accomplish to date.

after all, if all i ever wanted was a model of a fighter plane, i could go right on over to my local HOBBY TOWN USA today,

and pick up a very nice 1/72 HASE F-14 kit for around $33 and change.

that's ONE HELL of a lot cheaper than the average 1/60v.II.

but then again, the 1/72 F-14 is a model kit of a sadly defunct, real world military vehicle, while the 1/60v.II is all that, and so much more...

Well then I'd say getting ther kit was well worth it for you! You'd found what you'd been looking for, but had 1 last lingering doubt, and now you know (with the Yamatos) that you have truly found what you've always wanted.

So you gonna build it or resell it?

well, i'm well into starting on it, so it's much too late for selling...

Edited by Shaorin

My lord Shoarin. Get out of the model section and back to the toy section, your posts are pointless.

i know they are. i was just trying to explain my point of view to "Noyhauser" and i ended up getting a bit argumentative in the process. Sorry...

Edited by Shaorin

Shaorin, the Hasegawa kits have previously been discussed on the board here. Apparently the resin kits made by Club-M, Orange Collection or Yellow Submarine are more 'screen accurate' or closely follow the line art more so than the Hasegawa kits.

I, like many others, prefer Hasegawa's real life aerodynamic take on their VF-1 kits.

Shaorin, the Hasegawa kits have previously been discussed on the board here. Apparently the resin kits made by Club-M, Orange Collection or Yellow Submarine are more 'screen accurate' or closely follow the line art more so than the Hasegawa kits.

I, like many others, prefer Hasegawa's real life aerodynamic take on their VF-1 kits.

When it comes to toys or models of fictional mecha, personally I feel that lineart or screen accuracy does not matter as much as how "right" it looks to you.

I have no issues with the form or details on the Yamato toys. However, I dropped buying Yamato (and now also Bandai) Macross toys mainly due to the scale size used (high cost and non-interest in the transforming gimmick are other reasons). So despite my mediocre modeling skills and lengthy delays in getting it completed, my choice is Hasegawa. I also do like the fact that the Hasegawa Valkyrie is more aircraft-like.

Speaking of my Hasegawa build, here's where I'm still at...

IMG_1012.jpg

Painting update on my Q-Rau

post-12411-0-28770600-1316349727_thumb.jpg post-12411-0-10529200-1316349752_thumb.jpg post-12411-0-66272000-1316349769_thumb.jpg

Painting would go a lot freaking faster if all this damn rain would stop, or at least stop when I've got time to build. :angry:

Edited by Jefuemon

thought i'd post these for the sake of it; did all three from scratch, back around 2008/2009:

OLDMODELWORKS-20091.jpg

OLDMODELWORKS-20092.jpg

OLDMODELWORKS-20093.jpg

OLDMODELWORKS-20094.jpg

found both the KENWORTH W900 and the STARGATE ANUBIS as complete, untouched kits at a thrift.

the PATLABOR HELLDIVER i found at a comic shop for cheap, as it was missing the frontal chest-half, back in the late-1990's.

i cobbled together a replacement chest-half back then, and did a quick slap-together job on the rest.

i went back to it in 2008 or so, and gave it something of a proper paint job, as well as some decal-work...

The SV-51 is now in the final masking and painting stage, here is the pilot figure.

6173507625_06db7618ce.jpg

The VF-11's cockpit is done too.

6173508187_cc088d422a_z.jpg

6173508559_2599c50cdb_z.jpg

Also working away on a SU-47 Berkut (idolm@ster version)

6173509069_3dc44d7b4c_b.jpg

size comparison to VF-11

6173509687_db4bcc7abe_b.jpg

And here is something I got in in the mail recently-- just test fitting the parts for now...

6173506483_28563508c3_b.jpg

Edited by cwmodels

Thanks guys. It'll still be a while before the VF-11 can be done.

The last image is this: G1's "Eagle Sharp" from Gatchaman 2. It's gonna take a lot of work to make this ancient Bandai kit look good.

6176891662_f5250e43ed.jpg

Edited by cwmodels

This was a quick build of the 1/72 TIE Fighter from Fine Molds, which took about 3 hours to complete. It will go with the 1/72 Millennium Falcon in my office at work. I wonder how long it will be before I catch the first co-worker playing with it.

post-7534-0-90261400-1316892915_thumb.jpegpost-7534-0-38777000-1316892939_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-0-37446300-1316892952_thumb.jpeg

6176891662_f5250e43ed.jpg

Well, the nice thing is - especially from models of this era - at least the assembled model looks like the illustration on the box.

I remember opening several 80s kits and being immediately dissappointed by 'added wheels' or lost detail, or even wholesale changes to basic shapes!

Well, the nice thing is - especially from models of this era - at least the assembled model looks like the illustration on the box.

I remember opening several 80s kits and being immediately dissappointed by 'added wheels' or lost detail, or even wholesale changes to basic shapes!

This kit do come with ugly ass wheels. But luckily it also gives the option to be build without it.