Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

10 hours ago, Thom said:

Arbit, nice work!

That is very well done. My only criticism is the engine glow, personally don’t like that. If that wasn’t there it would look completely real.

Chris

8 hours ago, Dobber said:

That is very well done. My only criticism is the engine glow, personally don’t like that. If that wasn’t there it would look completely real.

Chris

Easily fixed:

VF-0 Final 0.jpg

(Good thing I save everything in layers!)

Edited by pengbuzz

On 10/15/2020 at 12:04 PM, pengbuzz said:

Well, I ran an experiment with your model (decided to take a crack at this for ya!) and got the following:

847210341_VF-0Final.thumb.jpg.0cb141b9f36fe1dfdb6de99a8f834ff9.jpg

847210341_VF-0Final.thumb.jpg.0cb141b9f36fe1dfdb6de99a8f834ff9.jpg

My new screen saver

OK question on the vernier nozzles on our fighters... is the reaction mass that they eject hot or cold? Working on a VF4 and was black jet exhaust shading round the bits I thought needed it then look another look and thought... what if its not a flammable propellant mix??

On 10/13/2020 at 1:54 AM, derex3592 said:

Got the Cat's Eye pilots painted and into the cockpit. I just picked colors at random.  Did my best. resin is hard for me to paint by hand with acrylics... clear cockpit pieces are still a problem. not sure how that's gonna get resolved. Hopefully next weekend I can get the plane repainted though! 

20201011_172044.jpg

20201011_162150.jpg

20201011_172429.jpg

if thats the moscato kit, the canopies came with the molding plugs so you should be able to make some from that. If you dont have them all the rest of us that have that kit will have them

@pengbuzz That looks awesome Pengbuzz! That is the perfect backdrop. Who knows what lurks beneath the waters...

I'd agree with adding distorted blur behind the the engines and slight vapor condensation off the wingtips. Then you wouldn't know if it was real or not. - MT

On 10/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, electric indigo said:

Christmas came early:

50481282081_5bd32901f5_c.jpg

Now I'm prepped for the second lockdown...

R, I've started on the mini EX-S last week too! I'm just noticing that the backpack of the 1/48 is of the S-Gundam [Bst] configuration given the 4 beam cannons.

The alignment mark on the back piece make me think this is literally a digitally up-scaled kit from a 3d model. It has taken some tricky pinning on mine to get everything solid and still modular enough to easily remove for painting and cleanup.

-K

didiexs.jpg

@Rock Cool, do you plan to integrate the bust into the old MG?

I have that resin kit too, but have not compared it to the 1/48 version yet. It's from the same sculptor, so it'd be no surprise if it uses the same 3d data. The large kit depicts the model from the Sentinel book cover, hence the 4 cannons.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:34 AM, NZEOD said:

OK question on the vernier nozzles on our fighters... is the reaction mass that they eject hot or cold? Working on a VF4 and was black jet exhaust shading round the bits I thought needed it then look another look and thought... what if its not a flammable propellant mix??

Well, on the Harrier and F-35, it's just "hot jet compressor air" ducted to the tips.  No chemicals etc, just "air".  But on a shuttle etc, it's just a very tiny rocket motor firing.   A valkyrie is kinda both a jet plane and a spacecraft, so.....?   

2 hours ago, electric indigo said:

@Rock Cool, do you plan to integrate the bust into the old MG?

I have that resin kit too, but have not compared it to the 1/48 version yet. It's from the same sculptor, so it'd be no surprise if it uses the same 3d data. The large kit depicts the model from the Sentinel book cover, hence the 4 cannons.

That was the original plan. I'm not sure it works for the S-Gundam though. The resin parts are much smaller than the MG kit creating a bad look. It might be more favorable for an Ex-S as the smaller torso and head are really needed on the original MG. I grabbed the 1.5 MG earlier this year to maybe see if that creates a better look. I used to have a link to Barber's Ex-S build of the MG that was done in the Fix Figuration portion/styling. In that he significantly increase the shoulder size to create the look in height and width. I may have to figure something else out as it is quite daunting to do so with the MG's transformation throughly intergrated into the early frame.  

UPDATE:

Progress is slow but steady on the new transforming fighter design:

104_0047.thumb.JPG.0abbed193f171987ec6cd0c68e4ee7c6.JPG 104_0048.thumb.JPG.751a1eda80ea3571d9bf83d7fde00f2d.JPG

Right now, I'm still piecing together the transform and how components will fit together in all 3 modes. Once that's accomplished, then it's on to refining the look of the mech in fighter, gerwalk and battroid modes. The "VF-1ness" of the nose is only temporary; I'll be redoing that as I skin the fighter and blend everything together. The arms are an undecided point, as I'm not sure right now where they will fit into the transformation scheme, let alone the joints and placement for them. Everything is rough at this point and nothing is spoken for; "skinning" is coming up once the main assemblies are finished.

The head cover will be inspired by the YF-21, but I want to take it to "the next level" and really make this one something unnerving and unearthly, while trying to still keep it "UN SPACY" if you will. A bit of a balancing act... especially when stealth is a major component of this one.

Stay tuned...

Edited by pengbuzz

@pengbuzz Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you can get it sorted soon. Your model is starting to look cool!

@NZEOD None of the artwork I've seen shows any trace of burning around the nozzles. Perhaps they're from compressed air? Some aircraft have compressors on them for pneumatic actuators, why not vernier thrusters?

@derex3592 How is your cat in your box my fault!:lol: I think you'll love the kit, I'm tempted to get one myself. I got a tiny /144 F-86 for a club build (Godzilla). My cat couldn't fit inside the box, so he put just his front paws into it and curled up while crushing it!

Needed something small to bring to our model club meeting, so I brought this tiny 1/60 scale Scope Dog. The sculpture is awesome, but the plastic is the ABSOLUTE WORST! It is so brittle, I went to show my son by breaking a piece of sprue and it shattered into pieces hitting him! So is the model - beyond brittle! Solvent glue and CA do not work properly on it. It would have been done by now, but I have to keep fixing things that break or come unglued. I had to make new armor flaps from other styrene to cover the calves because the originals broke just putting them on. Then they couldn't be repaired. I filed a piece of sprue to make new flaps (which also broke). When plastics get warm they let off a scent. This is NOT normal styrene and its definitely not ABS - It's evil! WAVE made it in Japan, but I think they used cheap import junk to cast it. Gotta go back and repair everything - somehow. - MT

1sm.jpg

2sm.jpg

Edited by MechTech

13 minutes ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you can get it sorted soon. Your model is starting to look cool!

@NZEOD None of the artwork I've seen shows any trace of burning around the nozzles. Perhaps they're from compressed air? Some aircraft have compressors on them for pneumatic actuators, why not vernier thrusters?

@derex3592 How is your cat in your box my fault!:lol: I think you'll love the kit, I'm tempted to get one myself. I got a tiny /144 F-86 for a club build (Godzilla). My cat couldn't fit inside the box, so he put just his front paws into it and curled up while crushing it!

Needed something small to bring to our model club meeting, so I brought this tiny 1/60 scale Scope Dog. The sculpture is awesome, but the plastic is the ABSOLUTE WORST! It is so brittle, I went to show my son by breaking a piece of sprue and it shattered into pieces hitting him! So is the model - beyond brittle! Solvent glue and CA do not work properly on it. It would have been done by now, but I have to keep fixing things that break or come unglued. I had to make new armor flaps from other styrene to cover the calves because the originals broke just putting them on. Then they couldn't be repaired. I filed a piece of sprue to make new flaps (which also broke). When plastics get warm they let off a scent. This is NOT normal styrene and its definitely not ABS - It's evil! WAVE made it in Japan, but I think they used cheap import junk to cast it. Gotta go back and repair everything - somehow. - MT

1sm.jpg

2sm.jpg

Was wondering if perhaps you should try molding it and making a casting of it?

Thanks @pengbuzz and @Thom. I don't think this thing will stay together to make ANYTHING out of it:blink: Even the tabs in the arms allowing it to move broke from just a minimal bit of friction. It's sad because it will go great with all my 1/72 scale stuff. We'll see how it goes. It's insane just how BAD the plastic is! - MT

On 10/18/2020 at 9:33 PM, MechTech said:

This is NOT normal styrene and its definitely not ABS - It's evil! WAVE made it in Japan, but I think they used cheap import junk to cast it.

Strange. I find Wave kits to be sturdy styrene. Does the box look like this (so we can avoid this line?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOTOMS-Scopedog-Round-Mover-ATM-09-ST-Wave1-60-Model-Kit-Series-No-01/154076931252?hash=item23dfb364b4:g:zo4AAOSwg6JfVYo2

UPDATE: main body and transform progressing:

104_0049.thumb.JPG.da619f3c5ed9e0acff0aafe0aa1ebd66.JPG104_0050.thumb.JPG.b40ee0e392c7382bcc834fefe0eb0db0.JPG

The arms are not at an "ideal" spot transform wise, but this is the best I can do without ripping the whole thing to pieces and basically starting over. So, just going to incorporate them into the design in this configuration (the stealth feature on this one is an "active" type that should circumvent any issues). Aside from redoing the nose,everything else has been relatively smooth. BTW: these colors are not the final; I'm planning something else entirely.

Now I need to decide on how to plan out the head turret config; also, need to add plastic to the chest:

104_0051.thumb.JPG.5cb0b042c37c77c4043a5d7f71ae3bcf.JPG

Stay tuned...

Edited by pengbuzz

IMPORTANT SCOPEDOG UPDATE

@arbit Thanks Arbit. I have the Red Shoulder. UPDATE - I have a second kit, #5 in the series. I opened it up just now to check it. The styrene in there seems fine. It looks like I got a bad batch of styrene or something else happened to it. So I think everyone is safe. It's the first time in decades of building it has ever happened to me. I guess I can't complain:D

@pengbuzz Your creation is coming along nicely! - MT