Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 9/23/2020 at 7:15 AM, Urashiman said:

I got a 3D pen for my birthday, and was a bit bored during Doctor who re-runs on TV, so I tinkered around with the pen and made this 1/144 VF-9. :)

Sorry if there isn't much to see, the black got really glossy... next time I'll use other PLA.

IMG_5854.JPG.103ffb0ebff6762a54e1b10ba6e30b6b.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG.6130d09f0099e30ea183638c77434fbe.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG.b38126dbe0e595b6c564feba06639bd8.JPG

A bad angle on atmospheric re-entry

16 hours ago, Dobber said:

Holy Crap! I watched that video and still don’t know how he did that! That was amazing, thanks for sharing.

Chris

It looks like he built up the forms with the pen, used a wood burner/hot knife to smooth the tiny gaps and make fine cuts, and sandpaper/file to completely flatten and smooth out parts. Plus, on the motorcycle project, he apparently had wax paper over some blueprints that he was using to size the parts. He's also using the 3D pen to add material where and when needed, and even making his own forms/molds to push melted filament into to make parts of a specific size/shape (like the tires/wheels).

21 hours ago, NZEOD said:

A bad angle on atmospheric re-entry

Probably hahaha

20 hours ago, arbit said:

All bow down before the 3D Pen Master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29dsCVFI0HM

Holy Cow! This is pure skill. I can only dream about doing something like that in like 10 years or so hahaha

Urashiman - Cool work! Those things need some practice.

Arbit - Thanks for sharing! That guy should just use styrene:lol:

Derex - Sorry man, that stinks! Get creative I guess and cover it up with something? - MT

Derex - I'm glad it worked out! Is that a screw post electrical bus going in there?

For those wondering what I was making, it's the next weapon system for my ship. It's the Mk-32  (Mod 14) torpedo tubes. It's finally finished today! I'm actually not sure where I'm going to put it, but thank God I decided not to make two of them! Lots of little details to include the side hand knobs which are smaller than a pin head. Different wires didn't work until I tried some old jumper wire. That's what was around the right size and actually held super glue well.

Some details are actually too big because of tooling limitations. Like the bolts across the tube sides. There are twenty bolts, but I could only fit 15 - after several attempts with different bits. The model is less than two inches long making it a scale nightmare for details all round it. But it's built from Navy drawings and was scaled down according to dimensions. Reference photos are confusing because there are so many mod versions of it. Feedback and ideas are welcome! - MT

1 - MK-32 Mod 14.jpg

0926201720.jpg

0926201722c.jpg

0926201723b.jpg

20 minutes ago, MechTech said:

Derex - I'm glad it worked out! Is that a screw post electrical bus going in there?

For those wondering what I was making, it's the next weapon system for my ship. It's the Mk-32  (Mod 14) torpedo tubes. It's finally finished today! I'm actually not sure where I'm going to put it, but thank God I decided not to make two of them! Lots of little details to include the side hand knobs which are smaller than a pin head. Different wires didn't work until I tried some old jumper wire. That's what was around the right size and actually held super glue well.

Some details are actually too big because of tooling limitations. Like the bolts across the tube sides. There are twenty bolts, but I could only fit 15 - after several attempts with different bits. The model is less than two inches long making it a scale nightmare for details all round it. But it's built from Navy drawings and was scaled down according to dimensions. Reference photos are confusing because there are so many mod versions of it. Feedback and ideas are welcome! - MT

1 - MK-32 Mod 14.jpg

0926201720.jpg

0926201722c.jpg

0926201723b.jpg

You continue to amaze, my man!

On 9/26/2020 at 2:45 PM, MechTech said:

1 - MK-32 Mod 14.jpg

0926201720.jpg

0926201722c.jpg

0926201723b.jpg

It looks like it could actually work....Did you rig it so it launches model torpedoes? 

Knowing MechTech's attention to detail, I wouldn't put it past him if it did.

I almost found some time to work on my K'tingas but I fell asleep in the middle of the night.....you know, when normal people are supposed to sleep.

I posted some of these in another thread, my lame attempt at photo editing.  Posed the model in front of a TV and used Windows paint to delete the stand.....it looks pretty bad, so don't zoom in......just like the model, lol!

IMG_20200921_133552.thumb.jpg.22602d6c152ca12bd4ddfd908c1b8d36.jpg

IMG_20200921_133734.thumb.jpg.448ada5946a7d0a8d806203bf245b44b.jpg

IMG_20200921_134832.thumb.jpg.9ac481cd71229d4da946676fa0111503.jpg

IMG_20200921_134938.thumb.jpg.d3d6b6bbd954cd5d4de6410ea64fbb4b.jpg

Also, I couldn't decide which way to face the model in relation to the background image, so I just did them all.

1 hour ago, peter said:

I almost found some time to work on my K'tingas but I fell asleep in the middle of the night.....you know, when normal people are supposed to sleep.

I posted some of these in another thread, my lame attempt at photo editing.  Posed the model in front of a TV and used Windows paint to delete the stand.....it looks pretty bad, so don't zoom in......just like the model, lol!

IMG_20200921_133552.thumb.jpg.22602d6c152ca12bd4ddfd908c1b8d36.jpg

IMG_20200921_133734.thumb.jpg.448ada5946a7d0a8d806203bf245b44b.jpg

IMG_20200921_134832.thumb.jpg.9ac481cd71229d4da946676fa0111503.jpg

IMG_20200921_134938.thumb.jpg.d3d6b6bbd954cd5d4de6410ea64fbb4b.jpg

Also, I couldn't decide which way to face the model in relation to the background image, so I just did them all.

Well, I took one of your shots and threw it into photoshop:

1476152624_Peterrefitmodelbackdrop.thumb.jpg.cce08e47e76812fc3f614a535963e54a.jpg

Maybe a bit too dark on my part, but I at least got a glowy effect for ya! :D

11 hours ago, peter said:

Looks great!

On 9/27/2020 at 1:45 AM, MechTech said:

For those wondering what I was making, it's the next weapon system for my ship. It's the Mk-32  (Mod 14) torpedo tubes. It's finally finished today!

Mechtech, your milling skills have gone up to a new level!  Really clean and sharp. You could probably recast your creations and sell them.

@derex3592 The screen work looks authentic! OCD about wiring is a GOOD thing! It means you'll have an easier time assembling and troubleshooting later.

@peter Thanks Peter! Sorry, it doesn't actually work. There might be pyrotechnic effects elsewhere though;) Way to go with the 'ole school special effects! That looks cool!

@pengbuzz That looks awesome! Are you sure you didn't steel that from a movie screenshot:D

@arbit Thank you, I appreciate it! This is some of the smallest work I've done since moving on from 1/350 scale back to good ole' 1/72. I STILL need a magnifying glass though! - MT

@MechTech The level of detail on those torpedo tubes is astounding! I pored over those pics appreciating every little detail. However, I'm a bit disappointed that there are only 15 side tube bolts instead of 20. Jk...

@derex3592 Your shuttle is coming along nicely. It looks great so far. So many Star Trek fans among us builders here. I never got into it but the shuttle you're building looks really cool. 

Anyway, I recently won this SDF-1 kit on ebay and it included a complete variable vf-1d kit! Score of all scores! Hopefully I can actually get to building either or both of these soon. My backlog of in progress kits is in the double digits!s-l400.thumb.jpg.4e1b34764a88374edfe64d04428a633b.jpg20200928_153008.thumb.jpg.893edad6979d5fe2882957d465d1ae82.jpg

2 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

@MechTech The level of detail on those torpedo tubes is astounding! I pored over those pics appreciating every little detail. However, I'm a bit disappointed that there are only 15 side tube bolts instead of 20. Jk...

@derex3592 Your shuttle is coming along nicely. It looks great so far. So many Star Trek fans among us builders here. I never got into it but the shuttle you're building looks really cool. 

Anyway, I recently won this SDF-1 kit on ebay and it included a complete variable vf-1d kit! Score of all scores! Hopefully I can actually get to building either or both of these soon. My backlog of in progress kits is in the double digits!s-l400.thumb.jpg.4e1b34764a88374edfe64d04428a633b.jpg20200928_153008.thumb.jpg.893edad6979d5fe2882957d465d1ae82.jpg

Sweet score! Skip the backlog, do this!

13 hours ago, Thom said:

Sweet score! Skip the backlog, do this!

I second that emotion.

But I don't have an encyclopedic memory, someone remind me what that "Robotech" Sdf-1 is a repop of.

Edited by arbit

22 minutes ago, Chas said:

Thanks. That Scalemates is awesome.

So based on their description, does this Revell version have the "new parts" from the metallic version that the original Imai doesn't have?

Couldn't say as I don't have any edition of the kit. However Scalemates lists the '84 boxing as having "Updated/new parts" and it is the  "Iron Type" so that terminology may be referring to the coating as "Updated/new"?

41 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

There are no "new parts" that I know of in the Robotech version. I built one when I was a kid and another one a couple of years ago properly. They had exactly the same parts as I remember it. 

Cool. Thanks. 

@Gabe Q Thank you Gabe! I'm disappointed too ;) The bolts line up with all that junk on top, so stuff on top was awkward to get lined up. Yea! Build the SDF-1! I think new parts are when you plate them in chrome - that's new - right?:huh:

@Thom Cool Thom. So are you going to make the hair buns to go with it too? Different princess, same idea:

Edited by MechTech

4 hours ago, MechTech said:

@Gabe Q Thank you Gabe! I'm disappointed too ;) The bolts line up with all that junk on top, so stuff on top was awkward to get lined up. Yea! Build the SDF-1! I think new parts are when you plate them in chrome - that's new - right?:huh:

@Thom Cool Thom. So are you going to make the hair buns to go with it too? Different princess, same idea:

HA!! That may be a step too far!:D

56 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Almost there

IMG_20200929_225917.thumb.jpg.b515ab11aa39facfdb85a30a71393fba.jpg

Awesome looking 25! Not my favorite weapons pack, but it's looking good.

On 9/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, Thom said:

You continue to amaze, my man!

+1

I can't even begin to figure out how to scratchbuild something like that.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:45 PM, derex3592 said:

Floors, walls, and instrument panels going good. Also a mockup of the front of the impulse engine. @MechTech yes, gonna use two of them for internal wiring. OCD about making it neater than last time. 

20200927_180453.jpg

That's looking really good. That grill on the nacelle is a nice touch too.

4 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Almost there

IMG_20200929_225917.thumb.jpg.b515ab11aa39facfdb85a30a71393fba.jpg

Looking great! I do like the Tornado pack on the VF-25F. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

After I finished up my SV-51, I began to explore how I would weather its counterpart, Roy's VF-0S. Like with the SV-51, I am trying to take inspiration from the mini-series.

I used a Yamato VF-0S as a test bed to try out different ideas but I just couldn't get that lighter colored wear shown on the 0S like so:

M0_ep4_02.thumb.png.fe4add6f7c8a0ede87cf013d6cfcefcd.pngM0-ep1_02.thumb.png.ced9cab81682b3fe33c92d84fe6440d1.png

It hit me that I was taking an additive approach instead of subtractive. So I sprayed the Yamato 0S with a misting of thinned black and tried various types of sanding, to remove the grey layer, but it wasn't precise enough. So I tried a slightly different approach... modify it while still wet. I loaded up the paint with drying retardant and thinner and sprayed my Arcadia 0S and then used those hard Tamiya swabs with the pointed tips to start removing paint. 

I think this time it's turning out like how I want it.

20200930_01.thumb.jpg.2b8e5fe11a70b0a16109edeae3639982.jpg

There's a lot more work that will need to go into it, but I think I finally have a good starting point.

Using a method like this was probably immediately obvious, but I'm a noob, so yeah...

Can someone with a 1/2500 Enterprise A, tell me the width of the saucer section.  
I'm planing on printing some other movie era ships and want to try and keep the same scale look.  and maybe be able to use some existing decals.