Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

18 minutes ago, MechTech said:

Created the mount and trunnions for the mechanism. Now it can elevate! I also shortened the barrel base and narrowed the main mechanism box at the base so it elevates into the cylinder base better. Everything is tightly compacted into a small area. Now it's actually styrene time again for the housing details. - MT 0808201515d.jpg.93dad368b73c9f32a59a76d772ccc48a.jpg

The other ships in the RC pond had better watch out!

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Actually, the first big explosion comes from the bridge area, so you could just put a crater there.;)

Which always had me scratching my head, why didn't the auto destruct overload the warp core.

Makes me want to research the self destruct system on these ships.  Did they have explosive material lining the saucer and bridge area this whole time, in the event that they needed to activate the auto destruct?  Lol!

@MechTech bingo!  Good eye!  Btw, need to make a video of your build, see all the moving parts :)

2 hours ago, peter said:

Which always had me scratching my head, why didn't the auto destruct overload the warp core.

Makes me want to research the self destruct system on these ships.  Did they have explosive material lining the saucer and bridge area this whole time, in the event that they needed to activate the auto destruct?  Lol!

@MechTech bingo!  Good eye!  Btw, need to make a video of your build, see all the moving parts :)

I think I recall some discussion speculating that the self destruct was damaged from all the fighting in WoK, and by Scotty hot-wiring the whole ship for automation. Although, thinking about it, if you want to keep the ship from falling into enemy hands, destroying the bridge, and all its command hardware, is probably essential.

In the end though, it was all about the visuals, such as the name and registry being destroyed before that first blast. 

Edited by Thom

Really, the way they always detail the self-destruct initialization makes it sound like there are multiple sequences available, for specific cases.  In this situation, they were making sure all of the data in the bridge computers was gone, and ensuring all the Klingons heading there would be wiped out.

I'd think a warp-core detonation would be something reserved for if you actually intend to do damage with the blast, and not a great idea if you're within range of it (remember Generations? :p).  Considering they were about to depend on the Klingon ship in orbit to get them off the planet afterward, they probably didn't want to risk damaging that ship in the process.

Still, I'm sure it absolutely was an intentional visual to have the registry blown away.  Whether it made technological sense is really irrelevant in the long run, since they can do whatever they want to fit the plot. :lol:  Either way, it really was an impressive sequence.

8 hours ago, peter said:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Auto-destruct

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Really, the way they always detail the self-destruct initialization makes it sound like there are multiple sequences available, for specific cases.  In this situation, they were making sure all of the data in the bridge computers was gone, and ensuring all the Klingons heading there would be wiped out.

I'd think a warp-core detonation would be something reserved for if you actually intend to do damage with the blast, and not a great idea if you're within range of it (remember Generations? :p).  Considering they were about to depend on the Klingon ship in orbit to get them off the planet afterward, they probably didn't want to risk damaging that ship in the process.

Still, I'm sure it absolutely was an intentional visual to have the registry blown away.  Whether it made technological sense is really irrelevant in the long run, since they can do whatever they want to fit the plot. :lol:  Either way, it really was an impressive sequence.

Always sad to watch.....can't believe I'm attempting to recreate a childhood nightmare, lol!  

Didn't they make a giant saucer with a wax surface that they just melted?

IMG_20200809_195027.jpg.6b2246488170476e86a8bf0ebe4cd576.jpg

Threw some primer onto the build to see where the major problems are.

I'm not exactly happy with the current sub-assemblies, but I have to make due since it's not a ground up build.  It's almost making me rethink refurbishing those two K'Tinga Battle Cruises, but too late, I already ordered replacement decals from HDA, lol!

Anyway, masking and painting with the way the ship is now is going to be a pain in the buttocks.  It feels sturdy though, with all the handling while sanding, the pylons haven't snapped off so that's a good thing right?

Ok, so the muffin tray looked really cheap when I thought about it.  Way too flimsy and not really believable as the frame of the enterprise so I ended up chopping most of it up.  IMG_20200810_020206.jpg.1b4bb70d5f16fa323af0ed962b0521cc.jpg

I did a little greeble work tonight to make up for the chopped frame.  To be honest, I think this might be the first time I've ever added greebles (apart from my lame attempt to recreate the surface of the ARMD carrier for my Valkyrie stand).  I didn't use any canon Star Trek cutaways or reference guides, I literally threw parts into it to make it look a little busier, including a few more Macross bits thrown in there for good measure.

Hardcore Trek fans will definitely roll their eyes at this, lol!

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling

Hasegawa: The only way to get official 1/72 TV pilots for your VF-1's is to buy more Gerwalks

*Laughs in Resin*

20200804_235014_2.jpg.86de6a8ccb12f762806c534b4bf41af9.jpg

20200804_235843.jpg.f45a98a5a96219ea57096a97bc4ac462.jpg

20200810_094042_HDR.jpg.d3f104635828d9c2b6abb22c84ccaf8e.jpg

I got a small bubble issue on the hands so i'll just cut them off at the wrist and put tiny plasticard hands on en-masse when I clean up and paint all these suckers up all in one-go

Edited by Duymon

Final painting finished. I'm at my done point on this. Ready to move on to other projects.  Those little ships really are LITTLE! LOL! But hey, they are painted! Did it with the point of a finishing nail. Final light test done, everything still works, finished up the engine light block box this morning. Will try to get the hull halves together this evening, but I've heard that can be difficult. 

20200809_151653.jpg

20200809_151757.jpg

20200810_070923.jpg

20200810_071045.jpg

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Final painting finished. I'm at my done point on this. Ready to move on to other projects.  Those little ships really are LITTLE! LOL! But hey, they are painted! Did it with the point of a finishing nail. Final light test done, everything still works, finished up the engine light block box this morning. Will try to get the hull halves together this evening, but I've heard that can be difficult. 

20200809_151653.jpg

20200809_151757.jpg

20200810_070923.jpg

20200810_071045.jpg

Holy crap those are tiny.  And I thought the Monsters on my SDF1 were small, lol!

Got excited thinking my Klingon K'Tinga decals arrived today but it turned out something else came.IMG_20200810_135837.jpg.3558e73d243bb189214f1676ed90d0b3.jpg

IMG_20200810_140027.jpg.7ce1bd6a192e1d8f81370c598b14599e.jpg

IMG_20200810_140019.jpg.ce00bccb154b10090b11aa479fbc2d28.jpg

Totally forgot I ordered these for a monster I picked up at a model swap meet.

IMG_20200810_140908.jpg.e75d6a9c11506027caca8d877b8b991b.jpg

Wonder if I can make this thing look good box stock without having to buy any photo-etch or accuratizing parts......well, back in the pipe of to-do builds.

Need to finish this:

IMG_20200810_144016.jpg.19f464b2f9eeb404ccc368e8370a0199.jpgIMG_20200810_144158.jpg.06c5a5d44f2f0b753b90aaf8b3a0e5cb.jpg

Almost ordered the strongback decals for it, but then decided to stick with the plan, no extra cost into rebuilding this thing.  $27.81USD to get the decals here.

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling

6 hours ago, peter said:

Need to finish this:

Almost ordered the strongback decals for it, but then decided to stick with the plan, no extra cost into rebuilding this thing...

I like the guts!!!

The inner ruined frame parts under the bridge grab my attention!  However, due to that, the vertical parts look rather plain compared to the excellent greebling you've added elsewhere!  Would it be possible to cut a few portals and ports into the large, flat inner frame pieces? 

As it might be a bit too hard to fit a drill bit into some of those spaces (let alone finding a bit that can punch out square shapes!), it might be much easier to glue some square bits of styrene to imply that there are doors and other closed hatches in those vertical spaces.

Do you have any long, thin straight bits of something to add in there horizontally to imply conduits?  (or the joints where the floors were attached to the walls.)  An alternative is small lengths of thin wire (the splayed ends might make an interesting effect).  If you do go this route, make sure some of the bits extend beyond the sheer line—that should work wonders in implying that the explosion did as much "ripping" as it did "cutting"!

On the other hand, I think you've nailed the outer, saucer parts—you've got the right balance between variety and quantity.

Spent a while trimming and cleaning up my new pilot figs. The mold is starting to show signs of wear after this many casts

20200811_010326_HDR.jpg.453c377c99045dc4a895f4755248811c.jpg

Now that I can do this I feel pretty stupid for having bought all these weapon sets for the pilots (yes I am a stickler for having pilots in planes) but then again it's nice to have every valk armed to the teeth I guess

20200811_012244_HDR.jpg.778093758e4a33568a7a6ca178e5bad1.jpg

Edited by Duymon

10 hours ago, sketchley said:

I like the guts!!!

The inner ruined frame parts under the bridge grab my attention!  However, due to that, the vertical parts look rather plain compared to the excellent greebling you've added elsewhere!  Would it be possible to cut a few portals and ports into the large, flat inner frame pieces? 

As it might be a bit too hard to fit a drill bit into some of those spaces (let alone finding a bit that can punch out square shapes!), it might be much easier to glue some square bits of styrene to imply that there are doors and other closed hatches in those vertical spaces.

Do you have any long, thin straight bits of something to add in there horizontally to imply conduits?  (or the joints where the floors were attached to the walls.)  An alternative is small lengths of thin wire (the splayed ends might make an interesting effect).  If you do go this route, make sure some of the bits extend beyond the sheer line—that should work wonders in implying that the explosion did as much "ripping" as it did "cutting"!

On the other hand, I think you've nailed the outer, saucer parts—you've got the right balance between variety and quantity.

Thanks for the tips, I was actually planning on cutting out a bit more of the vertical bits because they looked too plain.  But maybe I'll see if there is anything I can glue to them.

IMG_20200811_000414.jpg.fc74cfa39e728a4846e3297a40a7a1c7.jpg

Started the tedious task of masking bits on the secondary hull and nacelles.

I broke down and ordered the decals for the strongbacks.  Which was pretty stupid because with shipping from the US to Canada, it probably would have just been a few bucks more to go to the local hobby shop and buy a complete 1/537 which comes with the strongback decals.

I also went a bit further down the rabbit hole and realized the appearance of the Refit in TMP looked slightly different than the Ent-A.......sigh....

comparison%20RefitEntA.jpg

The strongbacks and other bits appeared more grey in the TMP versus the blueish color we got later with the Ent-A.

Anyway, when I ordered the strongback decals for my Autodestruct refit, I didn't eve check what color I requested....but it turned out to be the gray ones so.....good thing I guess?  Lol!  Ok, I need to get off the internet.

Edited by peter
Edited because OCD.

3 hours ago, Duymon said:

Spent a while trimming and cleaning up my new pilot figs. The mold is starting to show signs of wear after this many casts

20200811_010326_HDR.jpg.453c377c99045dc4a895f4755248811c.jpg

Now that I can do this I feel pretty stupid for having bought all these weapon sets for the pilots (yes I am a stickler for having pilots in planes) but then again it's nice to have every valk armed to the teeth I guess

20200811_012244_HDR.jpg.778093758e4a33568a7a6ca178e5bad1.jpg

That.....is ...insane.....and I thought I had a lot of weapons kits.

Looking forward to seeing your squadron :)

i should build a few more 1/72s.IMG_20200712_000929.jpg.c3ae4582d7f1e46f8adbc88fd500eeb3.jpg

Need a few more brownies to go with the heroes.  

9 hours ago, peter said:

Thanks for the tips, I was actually planning on cutting out a bit more of the vertical bits because they looked too plain.  But maybe I'll see if there is anything I can glue to them.

IMG_20200811_000414.jpg.fc74cfa39e728a4846e3297a40a7a1c7.jpg

Started the tedious task of masking bits on the secondary hull and nacelles.

I broke down and ordered the decals for the strongbacks.  Which was pretty stupid because with shipping from the US to Canada, it probably would have just been a few bucks more to go to the local hobby shop and buy a complete 1/537 which comes with the strongback decals.

I also went a bit further down the rabbit hole and realized the appearance of the Refit in TMP looked slightly different than the Ent-A.......sigh....

comparison%20RefitEntA.jpg

The strongbacks and other bits appeared more grey in the TMP versus the blueish color we got later with the Ent-A.

Anyway, when I ordered the strongback decals for my Autodestruct refit, I didn't eve check what color I requested....but it turned out to be the gray ones so.....good thing I guess?  Lol!  Ok, I need to get off the internet.

This may be of assistance to you peter: Agatha Chamberlain did diagrams noting the color differences between the Refit and the A versions:

https://culttvman.com/main/agatha-chamberlains-refit-enterprise-diagrams/

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

This may be of assistance to you peter: Agatha Chamberlain did diagrams noting the color differences between the Refit and the A versions:

https://culttvman.com/main/agatha-chamberlains-refit-enterprise-diagrams/

Lol, thanks!  That's a wealth of information, but fortunately, my OCD doesn't run that far.  If I ever got myself into the 1/350 though, I think that would be an excellent guide.

You know one really easy upgrade you could make to that battle damage.. why not just glue scraps of metal wire into the openings?  Just any old chunk of bent paperclip, useless scraps of electrical wiring, twist-ties, you name it.  Just stick them on the inner surface of the saucer around the broken edge, and bend them to your heart's content. ^_^ 

The one piece I think I would alter is the long straight sprue poking out of the starboard side.  Might just be odd angles, but it looks like it would stick outside the exterior of the saucer.  Don't have to cut it, I'd just heat it until you could bend it into a curve roughly the same as the saucer structure.  Plus, the heat will pre-burn it for you. :lol: 

Derex - Your little ships look great too besides the destroyer! I bet you needed magnifiers for those tiny things.

Peter - Your damage looks awesome! Wait, that just sounds wrong!? I think Chronocidal is right, some wire would look cool.

Duymon - Should we be worried you're stockpiling weapons of mass destruction (and pilots):ph34r:  That is a LOT of weapons sets for the valk. I think it's cool though! Naked planes are boring (unless they're aerobatic craft). - MT

On 7/14/2020 at 8:31 AM, Dobber said:

Enterprise update:

Saucer is finished. I’m going to decal it prior to assembly since the decals a minimal and don’t interfere with seems. This way I can seal them and not worry about the clear parts getting messed up. 

6BC91B93-8B35-4275-A8FF-7CECDB03311D.jpeg.9db38a78327cb8489a1f8575aba6ead8.jpeg

D6BCEC52-9D0C-454A-A826-7D0613676ACA.jpeg.2078bddbcb7ba8ecbbd21041a6075122.jpeg

5D267D4C-6BC3-44BC-ABA2-23F7E2BBA1D9.jpeg.21b370a77b3844d0cfbac69ea3b9a692.jpeg

Chris

So, I attempted this....started with the bottom side of the saucer, got through one panel and binned it.  I can't seem to draw straight or curved lines, let alone pencil in the whole saucer.  

My hats off to you for having the patience to do it.  With a couple of screaming kids at home, my ability to concentrate for more than 2 minutes at a time requires heavy doses of caffeine.  If I ever do another auto destruct Enterprise (I do have one more salvage, just need to find the pylons and nacelles), I'll just buy the Aztec decals, hahahahahaha!

THIS IS KINDA OT but I thought it was interesting OK. So I'm building my Aoshima re-release of the old Imai legioss zeta and I decided to scan the decals to print my own given the age of the included set.  

While looking at them and trying to figure out orientation for placement of a couple, I decided to break out my cellphone to get an idea of which way the letters were placed on the decal.

The pics turned out better than I thought and what I read on one was quite funny and on another was kind of bizzare.

Here are the pics:

20200812_022623.jpg

20200812_022507.jpg

The 1st is kinda bizzare. Like what a strange thing to choose to put on a decal ( someone must have been awfully  proud of his new Honda). The 2nd is just funny. If you are having trouble I'm pretty sure it reads " HOW MANY TIMES MUST THE CANNON BALLS FLY"  bloody peacenics!

So now I'm  gonna go through all my old kits and see if there are any more of these wierd inscriptions on decals.

Edited by Chas

6 hours ago, Chas said:

The 2nd is just funny. If you are having trouble I'm pretty sure it reads " HOW MANY TIMES MUST THE CANNON BALLS FLY"  bloody peacenics!

Google search reveals, "Blowin' In The Wind"
(by Bob Dylan)
Tell me, how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Google search reveals, "Blowin' In The Wind"
(by Bob Dylan)
Tell me, how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned

Yes, I have the song on one of his records, so I recognized the lyric immediately.

1 hour ago, Chas said:

Yes, I have the song on one of his records, so I recognized the lyric immediately.

My hippy-dippy grade 4 teacher made us sing it in class, lol!

Ok, I have this horrible thing mocked up:

IMG_20200812_122046.jpg.045ce567f7e33fdd8bf45d176b9282cc.jpg

Don't mind the masking tape, it's the only thing holding the neck and saucer to the secondary hull. 

IMG_20200812_122026.jpg.156b6743b1e58a32375e3dd94927f8d2.jpg

Next to my most recent 537 build.

IMG_20200812_122016.jpg.e00591cbde22328472d7e51e67863b05.jpg

IMG_20200812_184110.jpg.0ab7e4212e0a2270b35f781aba128ca4.jpg

Popped it onto a makeshift stand since I have no idea where the original stand is.  Now it's waiting on the strongback decals and weathering.

7 hours ago, peter said:

IMG_20200812_223545.jpg.747bb4faf48bf333f5f57bb828213b3f.jpgAnother shot of the stand.  I wonder if I should take off the masking tape, see if the whole thing falls apart?

Nice! Some great new life for that old model! Much better than collecting dust in an old box. One question(suggestion), is to chew up the edges of those vertical frames? They look too neat compared to the rest of the damage.

Loving the recycling work!

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Nice! Some great new life for that old model! Much better than collecting dust in an old box. One question(suggestion), is to chew up the edges of those vertical frames? They look too neat compared to the rest of the damage.

Loving the recycling work!

Yeah, the vertical bits do look too neat.  I still have to find some door or port size greebles to stick on.  I might even try drilling some holes.  

I have time though, since it might be a while before the strongback decals arrive.