Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Well, the left the VF-25 aside for a little time, there is a competition in June in my local hobby IMPS, so I started a few week ago the Wave 1/72 VF-4 Lightning III. Good kit, good fit, no Hasegawa details, but it is a fine looking model.

lSMnJns.jpg

kImBc9l.jpg

LeDwUQB.jpg

NPCkl96.jpg

0Txp74S.jpg

pQWm4b7.jpg

78PJei9.jpg

p7gYitE.jpg

niK1Fil.jpg

tbdC5Qh.jpg

E9UkYSV.jpg

vmrcG1r.jpg

EmTydPj.jpg

0PDsCV6.jpg

NPVa8PN.jpg

YT1UoOQ.jpg

4WaISUo.jpg

qeGxYHf.jpg

MsSDXSj.jpg

shfdjju.jpg

KRHnix9.jpg

Still some work to do, panel lines, some weathering (wheel wells), wings, the pilot, clear paints (lights) and a few decals.

11 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Especially with a wash to bring out the panel lines; that should give it that "made of millions of pieces of metal welded together" look.

I'd be wary regarding a wash, it might quickly kill the scale. I think just the hint of the untreated panel lines will be enough on the final model.

@joscasle Smooth paint work on the VF-4. Do you think you can switch the landing gear for, say, F-18 parts?

8 hours ago, joscasle said:

I started a few week ago the Wave 1/72 VF-4 Lightning III. Good kit, good fit, no Hasegawa details, but it is a fine looking model.

Good work on that VF-4. You nailed the classic scheme. I think you put on just enough white over that black without going too far.   

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

I'd be wary regarding a wash, it might quickly kill the scale. I think just the hint of the untreated panel lines will be enough on the final model.

indigo. Can you elaborate? He would have to lay on the white very lightly and build it up to not lose the pre-shades in the panels. 

He could also go in now and darken major panel lines and a selection of minor panel lines, before hitting the white.

If he were to panel wash, would it be a gray or light gray, not black. But at this scale, need to be careful that the wash doesnt darken the panels at all. I would be afraid to cover the whole thing with wash and wipe it off. 

The SD is looking good Derex! The mottled look is more realistic in this case. It's something so large, shadows vary over the surface area vs small panels. Your effort is not wasted!  -MT

They'll cant outward a bit more, but I think a set of more detailed F-18 gear would look nice, especially with some bigger tires.

Down side is that the nose gear will need some extra work to look as good, if you use more detailed gear in the back.  I don't know of any potential replacements for the nose that would look right, especially with how odd the nose strut looks for a carrier-based fighter.  

Just from the door configuration, an F-4 strut might work, but the shape is a bit different (side mounted retractor, and angled shock scissor), and there's no catapult bar.  You would also probably want to find one in the extended launch position, since the length would be more fitting.  I can actually see the VF-4 needing the same thing, honestly, being a delta design, and generally sitting with the nose rather low.

48273-f-4cdj-phantom-ii-landing-gear-5.j

12 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I can understand your concern there; I was thinking more of a "one shade off" wash rather than a dark tone/ black simply to bring it out. But if you feel "as is" works, then go for it!

Hey didn't know where to post this - but I've been working on this for the last year (so its kind of on my workbench) but I'm so proud of it. 

The first peak teaser...

I'm the Supervising Art Director and put together the Toronto Art Department team with my Production Designer Rory Cheyne designing these new worlds.  I got to help design a lot of the spaceships and convince them to build model miniatures to shoot instead of CGI spaceships.  As with all the films I work on I always sneak as much Macross into the sets and spaceships as I can :P!

11 hours ago, wm cheng said:

but I've been working on this for the last year (so its kind of on my workbench) but I'm so proud of it. 

Congratulations!  It is super exciting when you get to share your work with the world.  Bit nerve wracking as well, I am sure.  Love the push for practical models, hope you got to keep some of them...

11 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Hey didn't know where to post this - but I've been working on this for the last year (so its kind of on my workbench) but I'm so proud of it. 

Cool! We are also proud of you. 

I didn't know there was an Asimov project in the works. It seems they just do I Robot over and over.

Foundation has a good set-up. I hope it comes out well.  I'm often disappointed with classic sci-fi novel treatments on television. For example some recent Arthur C. Clark works. They go for the purely philosophical angle, which I don't think is accurate to the originals. Sure, Arthur Clark was a poet, but he was a poet in the sense of the grandeur of the scale and issues, but they usually had a solid narrative basis of adventure and mystery and wonder to keep the plot going forward.

12 hours ago, wm cheng said:

The first peak teaser...

I'm the Supervising Art Director and put together the Toronto Art Department team with my Production Designer Rory Cheyne designing these new worlds.  I got to help design a lot of the spaceships and convince them to build model miniatures to shoot instead of CGI spaceships.  As with all the films I work on I always sneak as much Macross into the sets and spaceships as I can :P!

Well when this hits dvd/bluray I know someone that will grab it immediately. Good luck and have fun with the project. 

JoScale - That VF-4 looks great! Nice and clean. I'd second (or third) going easy on the panel lines. Maybe a little gray wash vs the usual dark stuff? I wouldn't want to ruin the clean-ness.

WM Cheng - Your work-work bench counts too:D Congrats and I'm glad you went old school with the models. Great looking art design! There's no school like the old school with models! So, are you gonna put fast packs on the ships later on in the story?

Same here, wish it wasn't on Apple. Everyone wants you to stream and everyone charges! What happened to network TV where everyone could see everything for free!? That's what commercials are for. - MT

20 hours ago, wm cheng said:

I'm the Supervising Art Director and put together the Toronto Art Department team with my Production Designer Rory Cheyne designing these new worlds.  I got to help design a lot of the spaceships and convince them to build model miniatures to shoot instead of CGI spaceships. 

Be sure to always point out that "The Mandalorian" uses a "real" model ship for a lot of flight scenes, and that's a big part of the reason why it looks so good.  It's the best ILM's done in years.  No matter how good, CG will 'age' but a good scale model stands the test of time...  (1977 Star Destroyer still looks "perfect" on-screen)    

5 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Be sure to always point out that "The Mandalorian" uses a "real" model ship for a lot of flight scenes, and that's a big part of the reason why it looks so good.  It's the best ILM's done in years.  No matter how good, CG will 'age' but a good scale model stands the test of time...  (1977 Star Destroyer still looks "perfect" on-screen)    

I wonder why CG ages? Is it that the elements don't endure time well, or does our perception change?

Edited by pengbuzz

3 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I wonder why CG ages? Is it that the elements don't endure time well, or does our perception change?

Rendering technology gets better, simple as that.  Compare the Original Trilogy SE CGI with Rogue One, and you realize the X-Wings in ANH look like bootleg copies of the models used in Rogue Leader.  Seriously, count the polygons, the guns are 16-sided.

Models depend on quality cameras, but the shape of them will never change over time.

Edited by Chronocidal

36 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Rendering technology gets better, simple as that.  Compare the Original Trilogy SE CGI with Rogue One, and you realize the X-Wings in ANH look like bootleg copies of the models used in Rogue Leader.  Seriously, count the polygons, the guns are 16-sided.

Models depend on quality cameras, but the shape of them will never change over time.

Ah, gotcha.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, wm cheng said:

@NZEOD  Covid has all the postal stuff delayed, I'm sure its on a boat over (no real air travel - at least for packages) anymore.

@derex3592 That SD is lookng great!  I was thinking of masking some of those rectangular patterns to get the mottled look, but your method my look as good without being insane effortwise.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

and yet all my stunt bike stuff from Bagaros and KTM in Austria and has all been arriving in two weeks after each order still!  

Dug out the VF-1S and did a little weathering and detailing on it:

100_1037.JPG.c517c7b4f9090162dbb22a2bcafbf513.JPG  100_1038.JPG.d8ca63a24b47f3a3fbe57bf469ece589.JPG100_1041.JPG.09bcdcca77adae3c15233bde6a2167f2.JPG

(Why the last one came out yellow is beyond me. I think Skull-1 peed on the camera while i wasn't looking! Bad Roy!)

Anyways...nothing major here, just added some off-white/ blue-grey to a few flaps and leading edges, did some paint chips and scrapes on the surface, detailed the leg landing gear doors to match animation a bit better, and did some heat discoloration on the feet/thrusters, head laser tips and gun pod business-end. I also used some 0000 steel wool to rub down the clearcoat and give this a matte finish while smoothing some paint issues.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:46 PM, joscasle said:

Fisnish! 

Hope you like it

KHd3XVD.jpg

Great looking plane, and real nice with the paint/weathering. Enough to make the lines pop but not enough to make it look dirty.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:55 PM, wm cheng said:

The first peak teaser...

Absolutely awesome and congrats on some great work! You have much to be proud of there. Also great about pushing the practical models. They should just use CG for the environments but real models for the ships and all else.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:59 AM, pengbuzz said:

Dug out the VF-1S and did a little weathering and detailing on it:

100_1037.JPG.c517c7b4f9090162dbb22a2bcafbf513.JPG  100_1038.JPG.d8ca63a24b47f3a3fbe57bf469ece589.JPG100_1041.JPG.09bcdcca77adae3c15233bde6a2167f2.JPG

(Why the last one came out yellow is beyond me. I think Skull-1 peed on the camera while i wasn't looking! Bad Roy!)

Anyways...nothing major here, just added some off-white/ blue-grey to a few flaps and leading edges, did some paint chips and scrapes on the surface, detailed the leg landing gear doors to match animation a bit better, and did some heat discoloration on the feet/thrusters, head laser tips and gun pod business-end. I also used some 0000 steel wool to rub down the clearcoat and give this a matte finish while smoothing some paint issues.

This guy really looks heavily used ^_^ Great improvement! And matte finish does a lot to remove the toylike character.

Finished a project I started with more than a year ago but gave up on it after spraying the base color completely white. Disliked my plan for coloring back then.

Some weeks ago an idea for a suitable camouflage pattern crossed my mind and here's the result. Did a decent weathering, too. Light wear on the edges and some dust and smoke.

IMG_5689.jpeg.7ff20566195e8e3e69dc11deb93cac8b.jpeg

IMG_5692.jpeg.87f461dc07fb0535f1d79c559152571f.jpeg

IMG_5693.jpeg.42fafd65e389f751bd2a95ccee7433c3.jpeg

IMG_5694.jpeg.459907ec1eb36a00b4c5bddcca02dd52.jpeg

IMG_5695.jpeg.b5da1ca01ff7e2e2e514c219888c7d78.jpeg

4 hours ago, CrossAir said:

This guy really looks heavily used ^_^ Great improvement! And matte finish does a lot to remove the toylike character.

Yeah; I may tone it back a bit more than this, as the idea is "used but not abused".

Pengbuzz - The weathering looks great on that! The nozzles are cool. I don't think I've seen a valk with discolored nozzles (besides the fast packs) before which is an overlooked idea. Is that the fully transformable valk you built a while back? If so, what did you do for the leg joint connections? I searched our boards and found an old post for it, but the photos are no longer linked.

Cross Air - There's a tiny mech in your yard! That paint scheme is cool! It fits it perfectly. The decals and splinter camo all compliment each other. I built the green version of that kit last year with our model club at the county fair (to recruit members). That is a neat little kit. The cockpit is cool. A lot of our members were surprised by it because they are mostly plane and tank guys. Gundams (that's they're general termed) are something new to them. Next year we actually have a Bandai theme night which should be interesting. - MT