Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Started the Kawamori Expo YF-19. This is my 1st Hasegawa kit and holy crap nothing is going to stay together without some glue :lol: There are also a bunch of super tiny pieces and im hoping nothing gets lost in the process :wacko: 

YF-19 1.jpeg

Edited by anubis20

8 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

Started the Kawamori Expo YF-19. This is my 1st Hasegawa kit and holy crap nothing is going to stay together without some glue :lol: There are also a bunch of super tiny pieces and im hoping nothing gets lost in the process :wacko: 

Yup, you have to glue, sand down, then prime. I use a little q-tip box for those little pieces.

18 minutes ago, Grayson72 said:

Printing starts today on this badboy! Will scale this up to 5k, I was able to strip all the detail parts off in order to print them separately.

That puppy is gonna be big. Looks like asgard-knight 's model from his Deviant art page.  How much did he charge for the STL, if you don't mind my asking?

6 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

That puppy is gonna be big. Looks like asgard-knight 's model from his Deviant art page.  How much did he charge for the STL, if you don't mind my asking?

At 5k scale it'll be about 23.6 inches or 60cm long.  I used the length of 3000 meters from the macross2.net site.

It is indeed his files, these are the same files that the South American guy who's been printing and selling these used.  I bought a bunch of files from him so he gave me a group deal.

Edited by Grayson72

11 hours ago, Rock said:

Wasn't able to finish even with the extra hour. Topcoat, canopy framing and weathering is all that remain.

Looks really good so far! Especially as it is my favorite Valk in my favorite configuration I‘m looking forward to see it in the final stage. :good:

6 hours ago, CrossAir said:

Looks really good so far! Especially as it is my favorite Valk in my favorite configuration I‘m looking forward to see it in the final stage. :good:

+1 Yeah man that looks really badass, especially coming right at ya like that.  Run for your life!!!!

Pengbuz - Those flame effects look awesome!

Don't rush it Rock! It's looking great! Every time I rush things, bad things happen to my projects.

That looks awesome Grayson! I think you got a side-hustle going on now. You wanna charge to make some? - MT

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

That looks awesome Grayson! I think you got a side-hustle going on now. You wanna charge to make some? - MT

The thought did cross my mind.

Edited by Grayson72

On 10/30/2019 at 1:24 PM, pengbuzz said:

Well, I set aside my other project for the time being. Frankly, after an incident online where my artwork was stolen twice in a row, I think I won't be doing much on facebook for some time to come.

Anyways, i revisited an old project and...added something to it...

100_0661.thumb.JPG.ec78fcce4bc7538b4ba70b67dc49b2b2.JPG

Absolutely great looking effect. Love it!

On 10/31/2019 at 10:55 AM, anubis20 said:

YF-19 1.jpeg

I have a few of these in the stash. Will be great seeing yours go together.

15 hours ago, Grayson72 said:

The hull is done! Now I have to add all the details.  Added a shot with a side by side of the Captains 5k sculpts.

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

Seriously, this is awesome. I need a 3D printer too... but before that a bigger flat. No space in my current one at the moment.

More progress on the K-40. 

Seams have all been taken care of on these parts. I will prime them today to make sure the seams are completely gone. 

8fapedu.jpg

Painted some parts that needed to be taken care of before gluing the fuselage. Will be gluing it tonight and hopefully priming it by Wednesday. 

He3iJCS.jpg

Edited by anubis20

Christmas came a little early here.... :yahoo:

20191111_191907.jpg

For those wondering, the tiny holes are pre-drilled for lighting.... Even on the non lighting version of the kit. In other words....lighting it yourself is an option and way cheaper than Bandai's solution me thinks. 

20191111_192515.jpg

20191111_192423.jpg

Edited by derex3592

18 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Christmas came a little early here.... :yahoo:

20191111_191907.jpg

For those wondering, the tiny holes are pre-drilled for lighting.... Even on the non lighting version of the kit. In other words....lighting it yourself is an option and way cheaper than Bandai's solution me thinks. 

So, I actually sprung for the lighting set version since it was on sale at Amazon, and only came out to about $20 more, I think.  Honestly.. in hindsight, I appreciate the lighting kit being included, but I'm still scratching my head over what they actually were thinking with the kit designs.

To clarify, the lit version comes in an insanely large box, and contains extra sprues that duplicate a large portion of the kit in clear plastic.... with the holes still drilled in them..  Like.. ok, I get it, they didn't want to make two copies of the mold.. but that kind of defeats the purpose of the clear plastic in the first place, and if you want to make those parts look like they have actual windows, you'll have to literally plug all of the holes so the plastic looks consistent.  They really needed to make two versions, both with and without holes, because without lights, the kit just looks like Swiss cheese.

Aside from that though, I'm disappointed that all they did is drill circular holes all over the place.  Maybe they're following the pattern of lights used on the actual model, which is fair, but I would have loved if they actually cut out windows in the plastic, rather than hundreds of pinholes.  Maybe they just expected people to use fiber optics?  Hard to say.  I'm honestly tempted to go find some kind of micro-file that I can use on all those holes and cut out square corners. :wacko: 

I can't really be too negative about it though, it's a beautiful kit, and should be a really fun build.  While it's not huge, I think the size is pretty good for a nice shelf display, which I'm perfectly okay with.

Edited by Chronocidal

45 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

To clarify, the lit version comes in an insanely large box, and contains extra sprues that duplicate a large portion of the kit in clear plastic.... with the holes still drilled in them.

I'm not familiar with this kit, but interested in what you're saying. What exactly is the purpose of the clear parts if they have already provided drilled holes for fiber? 

I am only guessing that you can use the clear parts to avoid fiber, because it will distribute light internally from the few LEDs provided, and you would black base the outside only.

Edited by arbit

2 hours ago, arbit said:

I'm not familiar with this kit, but interested in what you're saying. What exactly is the purpose of the clear parts if they have already provided drilled holes for fiber? 

I am only guessing that you can use the clear parts to avoid fiber, because it will distribute light internally from the few LEDs provided, and you would black base the outside only.

This really is the big question.  What's the point of a clear part if you're not allowed to manually mask off windows and lights?  I guess you could theoretically treat the clear parts as light-piping, but the lighting kit isn't set up that way, and relies on light reflected from the interior to leak out of the ship like a sieve.  There's really no light directed into the clear parts that way.

I think the problem is just that they got ahead of themselves, and produced the entire kit with pre-drilled holes.  They should have half-molded the drill points on the inside, and left the plastic solid.  Since they didn't do that, what we're left with is a ship pre-drilled for fibers that doesn't include any, and half a kit's worth of useless transparent plastic that's only useful if you want to add more lights to the exterior of the ship.

In fact.. the guide included in the kit itself mentions literally filling in the holes in the clear parts with some other material... They basically designed this kit to be modified, not built out of the box.  The entire instruction set mentions using fiber optics, but then tells you to go buy them separately. :rolleyes:  The guide goes through extensive instructions on how to modify the kit, not how to build it with the included parts.

Edited by Chronocidal