Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Arbit - That came out great! Nice and smooth too. The HMS Invincible class carriers used the same scissor lifts too for their aircraft elevators. I got to see one up close.

Chavalaiser - Grande y excelente! Sigan con el buen trabajo! - MT

46 minutes ago, MechTech said:

Arbit - That came out great! Nice and smooth too. The HMS Invincible class carriers used the same scissor lifts too for their aircraft elevators. I got to see one up close.

Ha! I didn't know that. 

I had to put the destroid idea on hold for no, due to both a lack of parts and to be honest, just plain burned out on Macross for the moment.

Meantime, decided to do a project with nothing but cardboard, masking tape and a screenshot (or 500!):

100_0622.thumb.JPG.933efe085b9dc79d28e84f3b881287bf.JPG

100_0623.thumb.JPG.61bfb23331f27fb2486ba9c413830f44.JPG

100_0624.thumb.JPG.205d0914c504c71945fc45e8d427db1a.JPG

I didn't want yet another table-spanning project. So...this one is about the size of a can of Coke:

100_0628.thumb.JPG.88f00ee214ee4020ca10a18cb5fd2260.JPG

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Tuve que poner la idea destruida en espera por no, debido a la falta de partes y para ser honesto, simplemente se quemó en Macross por el momento.

Mientras tanto, decidí hacer un proyecto con nada más que cartón, cinta adhesiva y una captura de pantalla (¡o 500!):

No quería otro proyecto que abarcara más tablas. Entonces ... este es del tamaño de una lata de Coca-Cola:

:ph34r:

FB_IMG_15106808680292259.jpg

16 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I had to put the destroid idea on hold for no, due to both a lack of parts and to be honest, just plain burned out on Macross for the moment.

Meantime, decided to do a project with nothing but cardboard, masking tape and a screenshot (or 500!):

I didn't want yet another table-spanning project. So...this one is about the size of a can of Coke:

Arbit, that is a cool looking lil carrier!

CHAVAKAISER, Does that transform?

Checkmate, which Ingram is that? I have one and a Pit Road vehicle planning to light up eventually.

Edited by arbit

Cool build Pengbuzz!

Your project is coming along smoothly Arbit! You need to take that to a show. People will get a kick out of the blue tooth.

Checkmate, your build looks really good so far. I guess you're preshading it? I was trying to figure out if it was a new model until I took a second look.

Chavakaiser - Fantastico!

Time to make the ship's flight deck tie-downs (Padeyes). First I made a die to use in my drill press as an arbor press. Then simply press into the plastic and you have padeyes galore for free. It adds no more weight to the ship from sheets of  photo etch, no hole drilling and no gluing. I used masking tape on the grid so I could make adjustments before pressing the deck into shape. I STILL can't get all the permanent ink off the deck, but the padeyes are all clean without marring. The paint will make them stand out.

Some of you may ask where I get my inspiration from. Here's two of them. They think AND sleep outside the box! They also seem to like the Frame Arms kits too!:lol: - MT

1013191639b.jpg

1012191703.jpg

1012191731.jpg

1012191819a.jpg

1005192015.jpg

1012192145c.jpg

18 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

While I can't compete with that massive Legioss (which is awesome by the way!) I finally had time to put together my 1/4000 SDF-1 kit. Painting & decals over the weekend. B))

Cool. Interested to see what you do with it. You've got some nice painting skills. 

I've finally finished the last gear on my Prometheus Flight Deck. I tried to make a rolling garage, but it can't close horizontally , only vertically like a car garage. So I went with Mechtech's approach and it did the trick. I used duct tape as my mesh to hold the door styrne strips together, and learned that neither epoxy nor super glue adheres to duct tape! That was a puzzle... Once I figured that out,  I super glued the timing belt directly on the styrene and it stuck like a champ. 

Next I need to build the interior of the lift and make a big box for the thing.

Well since there's been so much discussion regarding 3D printing in here I thought I post a couple of questions.  I'm considering getting a printer and had been very exited by the Elegoo Mars, that is until I saw the very small print volume.  The details and relative easy of use do make it seem like a winner, but I want to print things like BSG Colonial Vipers and other large non-transformable things.  It seems like I could always cut up large models and then re-assemble them but that honestly seems tedious.

I am now considering the Creality Ender 3 as it seems to have good reviews and is inexpensive.  Here are my questions:

- What are your preferred filaments for fine detail printing on FDM printers?

- Would you consider it necessary to use a filament like PolySmooth in order to get do away with print lines and bring out fine details?

- Should I maybe go for a resin printer instead?

I welcome all opinions, feel free to DM me or move this chat to a separate topic if more appropriate. 

Edited by Mazinger

Couple of projects finished up today, 1st up the little baby NX01 Enterprise. Came out pretty good! Can't wait to move onto more of that set. Aztec decals were amazing to use.  And of course Sheriff Woody! He is 100% painted minus the eye decals. Went with a semi gloss clear coat at the end to even things out and make him kinda more toyish looking.  I think he came out pretty darn well! Can't wait to Buzz for Xmas and have then side by side! 

20191020_202823.jpg

20191020_202802.jpg

20191020_202750.jpg

20191020_202732.jpg

20191020_202831.jpg

20191020_202619.jpg

20191020_202711.jpg

20191020_202647.jpg

On 10/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, Mazinger said:

Well since there's been so much discussion regarding 3D printing in here I thought I post a couple of questions.  I'm considering getting a printer and had been very exited by the Elegoo Mars, that is until I saw the very small print volume.  The details and relative easy of use do make it seem like a winner, but I want to print things like BSG Colonial Vipers and other large non-transformable things.  It seems like I could always cut up large models and then re-assemble them but that honestly seems tedious.

I am now considering the Creality Ender 3 as it seems to have good reviews and is inexpensive.  Here are my questions:

- What are your preferred filaments for fine detail printing on FDM printers?

- Would you consider it necessary to use a filament like PolySmooth in order to get do away with print lines and bring out fine details?

- Should I maybe go for a resin printer instead?

I welcome all opinions, feel free to DM me or move this chat to a separate topic if more appropriate. 

Don't think this is inappropriate for this thread, but I keep forgetting to request the general 3D printer topic get moved into this forum. :lol: 

So, I will say that unless you really want large solid models, a small print volume will make for a much more compact workspace, and be more affordable to experiment with.  Entry level printers are dropping in price to the point where it's probably worth buying a smaller one to start, and only upgrading to something bigger once your projects surpass the capabilities of that printer.

Far as filaments go, I have not heard of PolySmooth, but most modern FDM printers tend to use either ABS plastic, which is a styrene derivative that a lot of toys (including all the assorted valks discussed on this site) are made from, and PLA, which is a a sort of polyester.  While I have printed a couple of projects in PLA, I try to stick to ABS for the material properties, and reasonable compatibility with standard model kit styrene (similar hardness, flexibility, painting and finishing properties).

Resin printers will definitely give you a smoother finished part, and you won't have the sorts of wavy surface artifacts that FDM printers leave from vibrations in the printing mechanism, but I have heard they also are not as good for making a finished model, and the liquid resin seems like it can get expensive, and difficult to manage.  I do not believe the SLA resin is as sturdy a material as PLA or ABS, and while resin prints will absolutely be good for casting molds for resin reproduction, I have heard the material itself can deteriorate over time.

As far as breaking down large models into assemblies goes though, I would absolutely recommend doing that, because it just makes sense.  Printing a model in one solid chunk can be fun because you wind up with a finished product, but it also severely limits how well the model can be finished.  FDM prints will require clean-up work of the parts, and lots of sanding to remove the layers and uneven surface artifacts, which gets very difficult to do when the model is in a single solid chunk. 

My Excalibur print shown a while earlier in the thread has this problem, but I never intended the single-piece print to be the final product.  It was more a test of the printer's capabilities, before I broke out the individual sub-assemblies, and printed them individually as a full-blown kit.  The work to break down a model before printing is definitely substantial, but in the end it will save you material, since you can design the model to be hollow, and make any finishing work like sanding and painting several orders of magnitude easier.

Cool Chavakaiser! MUY GRANDE!

Cool 505! And yeah, cool painting too!

Arbit, That works nice and SMOOTH! The whole thing will be awesome!

That's coming along nicely Rock!

"I'm Woody, howdy howdy howdy!" That's great Derex! And it looks like you have a new Christmas ornamanent too! Which also came out great. - MT

Well, I set aside my other project for the time being. Frankly, after an incident online where my artwork was stolen twice in a row, I think I won't be doing much on facebook for some time to come.

Anyways, i revisited an old project and...added something to it...

100_0641.thumb.JPG.bd5ab143e16243ed903427dc186794df.JPG

100_0658.thumb.JPG.809731f84849e801e92ab9515031e514.JPG

100_0659.thumb.JPG.c5d90ef2ecb3d5efd7bc6003c010ae48.JPG

100_0661.thumb.JPG.ec78fcce4bc7538b4ba70b67dc49b2b2.JPG