Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 7/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, derex3592 said:

Decals have begun! 

Woot Woot! About ready to fly.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, MechTech said:

Nice n clean Derex. That thing almost looks the size of the Chrsitmas ornament Defiant we have.

Thank you guys! That was the first time I've cut flutes into barrels like that.

"Does this muzzle brake make me look fat?" I thought the first muzzle brakes looked awkward, bulbous at the end so I made something more modern looking in brass. The turrets are nearly done now too after adding details.

I wanted optics turrets for the ship and turrets so I turned some radii (balls) on my lathe and then milled "lenses" into them of various sizes to simulate lasers, IR cameras and cameras. I just need to clean the dust out of the cuts.

Long story short, I rechecked the main turret size and am going to redo the cap firing mechanism to make it smaller. Right now the mechanism sticks out of the turret where it should and has no room to cycle in either. Hopefully it won't take me another month like the last ones did each. - MT

Those turrets looks sik! And in a good way. Hate to be staring down that barrell!

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Defiant and Q-Rau pics coming soon!

Can't wait to see how they are turning out.

For myself, paint is done on the Saber. Next is a gloss coat and then decals! Woohoo!

bWMV917.jpg

Model on!

Started working on a' retro-future' dio a few years ago and decided to get back to it. Here are a couple of the pieces so far. Pretty messy as I have been trying out some paint techniques.

p.s.(Sorry cell phone is all I have for pics)

20190801_203853.jpg

20190801_202938.jpg

20190801_202833.jpg

20190801_202410.jpg

Edited by Chas
post script.

42 minutes ago, Chas said:

Started working on a' retro-future' dio a few years ago and decided to get back to it. Here are a couple of the pieces so far. Pretty messy as I have been trying out some paint techniques.

p.s.(Sorry cell phone is all I have for pics)

20190801_203853.jpg

Great looking start! The pics look good.

One step before decals needed. Bussard domes...

bpdaq1Y.jpg

3 hours ago, Thom said:

Great looking start! The pics look good.

One step before decals needed. Bussard domes...

bpdaq1Y.jpg

Looking sweet and sharp, Thom!

Meantime folks, another of my infamous "projects" begins...

What I began with tonight:

100_0415.thumb.JPG.d98d07f85bee0d26b7f83deb7707a5af.JPG

And what I have so far:

100_0420.thumb.JPG.2e2873d7d621a2651d2f7aab5bbb5cd5.JPG

I think folks here may pick up on what I'm building in 1/72 scale. :D

Stay Tuned...

On 7/31/2019 at 4:20 AM, Thom said:

For myself, paint is done on the Saber. Next is a gloss coat and then decals! Woohoo!

Not sure which TV/movie version that is.  I am strictly TOS, and your wessel has the classic lines I like.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I think folks here may pick up on what I'm building in 1/72 scale.

Nice start Pengbuzz.  Hope you mix in details from different line art and screen grabs, in addition to the kit.

Edited by arbit

16 hours ago, arbit said:

Not sure which TV/movie version that is.  I am strictly TOS, and your wessel has the classic lines I like.

Not so much 'my' wessel. ;) She was designed by Bill Krause, AKA Admiral Buck, to fit into a post TOS era but before TMP. The model was produced by Ugh! Models, but they have since been hit with a Cease and Desist, which stopped further production. I managed to get a few of them before that.

Check on Resin Illuminati. Admiral Buck has several kit-bashes and scratch builds of same era ships there, and they are phenomenal! The one I like the best is his kitbash of a 1/350 TOS Enterprise into a USS Hood refit, after the episode with the M5 computer.

20 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Looking sweet and sharp, Thom!

Meantime folks, another of my infamous "projects" begins...

What I began with tonight:

100_0415.thumb.JPG.d98d07f85bee0d26b7f83deb7707a5af.JPG

And what I have so far:

100_0420.thumb.JPG.2e2873d7d621a2651d2f7aab5bbb5cd5.JPG

I think folks here may pick up on what I'm building in 1/72 scale. :D

Stay Tuned...

Thanks Peng!!

And that looks like a factory being set up, or a gate to Alaska Base..?

With Saber, she is one step closer to finished, with the registry and name being worked out with Inkspace.

2iyiRfj.jpg

17 hours ago, arbit said:

Nice start Pengbuzz.  Hope you mix in details from different line art and screen grabs, in addition to the kit.

Thanks! I'm planning a few touches of my own to distinguish this from the 1/100 kit.

20 minutes ago, Thom said:

Thanks Peng!!

And that looks like a factory being set up, or a gate to Alaska Base..?

Factory, you guessed it! I figure that anything in 1/100 can be replicated in 1/72, and building it out of matt board should be a bit easier than plastic (I had a bunch of it lying around from an artwork project that needed matting).

25 minutes ago, Thom said:

With Saber, she is one step closer to finished, with the registry and name being worked out with Inkspace.

2iyiRfj.jpg

Well, hello and greeting then to another Inkscape user! :hi:

Edited by pengbuzz

USS Defiant reporting into Deep Space Nine!  :hi:

Well....this was a great little kit. Very simple and straightforward EXCEPT for the clear parts..more on that in a minute. The ship itself goes together well, little putty and some seam work (one of which re-opened on me, you can see it on the side view shot when I put the nacelle part in the front of the engine today as I finished up) <_<.  The decals---fantastic. Very good. I screwed up placement of a couple on the back end of the ship but in my defense the instructions weren't very clear on those. A LOT of Micro Sol/Set on them is needed 1000%.  Lots of compound curves and surfaces to get them to lie down over.  Most of them are opaque which is pretty cool.  Now..the clear parts. ICK.  I really wish model makers would just spend another $1.00 to make the clear parts snap into the surrounding solid parts. Would make things SO much better/easier!  The entire back part of the engines is a clear piece, as is the front of the nacelle.  Hand painting those was a pain, and for some reason one of the nacelle parts started to crumble on me this morning when I was just touching up the grey around the sides. Weird. I salvaged what I could and made it look passable. Nothing else I could do at that point.  

So all in all a great kit, minus the pain in the butt clear parts tree. It's definitely not a beginners kit if you want it to look screen accurate,  Enjoy the pics! 

20190803_122235.jpg

20190803_122256.jpg

20190803_122318.jpg

20190803_122414.jpg

20190803_122518.jpg

20190803_122529.jpg

20190803_122614.jpg

Looking good!  I hear you about the clear parts though.  My issues with the Refit Enterprise and Reliant involved the clear snap-in parts too.  They actually made the snaps so strong that the nacelle windows started to crack when I tried to attach them.

For all the good clear panels do on a kit that size, I would've preferred solid plastic that wasn't so brittle.

Derex3592

Great looking Defiant! Those decals did settle down pretty nicely. As for the clear parts, mine went fine, so I must consider myself lucky.:D Except for the topside phaser emitters. I just couldn't figure out how they went on. But in the end found that they were set a little lower on the model than on the on-screen ship, so they were snipped and glued straight on.

7 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Thanks! Q-Rau update as promised... Almost ready for some primer.

Cool looking Q! Are you gonna do her hot pink?!

Edited by Thom

34 minutes ago, Thom said:

I consider myself more of a dabbler-in-the moment... But thanks!;)

NP Thom; just happy to see someone else using it. :)

UPDATE: I work fast sometimes-

100_0446.thumb.JPG.5a1878757e9bd94f8d8234fe78e1e201.JPG

I'm hoping to have the bottom on a more stable base in a bit. Stay tuned...

8 hours ago, derex3592 said:

1st round of primer down on Mrs. Q-Rau. 

20190805_063353.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing this painted up, derex! :D

BTW folks:,I recently saw a kit in 1/144 scale on Etsy for about 50 bucks:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/668836899/vintage-robotech-macross-queadluun-rau?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=robotech+toys&ref=sr_gallery-1-19&organic_search_click=1

That's my "PSA" for today.

In other news: some progress on my project-

100_0454.thumb.JPG.d87913e498e4f8980dee08aadd1cc25b.JPG

Stay tuned folks.

Little bit of an update:

100_0462.thumb.JPG.5408bfd37d4ac708100d96bcd9586327.JPG

Started some of the gantries/ walkways on the wall, and also added a bit more detail.I diverged from the original a little bit here, wanting to add my own details. I may also add another wall to one side or something; we'll see. I also put a bucket on the end of the boom truck that is jointed (more pics of that when the paint dries).

Stay tuned folks...

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Little bit of an update:

100_0462.thumb.JPG.5408bfd37d4ac708100d96bcd9586327.JPG

Started some of the gantries/ walkways on the wall, and also added a bit more detail.I diverged from the original a little bit here, wanting to add my own details. I may also add another wall to one side or something; we'll see. I also put a bucket on the end of the boom truck that is jointed (more pics of that when the paint dries).

Stay tuned folks...

Damn Pengbuzz, you work fast!

14 hours ago, Thom said:

And DUN!

Some things didn't go so right, but more than enough did!

tNcMTWx.jpg

Going to take a week off before I get back to the models, and the Falcon!

Model on!

Great job on the Saber @Thom! Very nice clean build! Love the engine details! 

9 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Great job on the Saber @Thom! Very nice clean build! Love the engine details! 

Thank you!

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

lol Yeah, if I had been rebuilding the SDF-1 for UN Spacy, I would have had it done about 6 weeks after the crash. :D

That's an idea, Peng!

Those look GREAT Thom and Pengbuzz! I'm glad to see you guys making progress!

Derex, the ole' girl is looking good so far (for being gray)!

No photos yet, but my cap cannon is still in bitty pieces that don't look like anything yet. - MT

On 8/8/2019 at 9:34 PM, MechTech said:

Those look GREAT Thom and Pengbuzz! I'm glad to see you guys making progress!

Derex, the ole' girl is looking good so far (for being gray)!

No photos yet, but my cap cannon is still in bitty pieces that don't look like anything yet. - MT

Thanks MT! I think you'll like what's next:

100_0486.thumb.JPG.9f5f9fe1c97606e329d8fe7298df83ed.JPG

More of my progress here:

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Some actual painting and detailing has happened! 

20190811_140852.jpg

Looking pretty good there, derex! The panel-lining on the main "eyepiece" really makes the detail pop, and the thrusters look good as well.

One thing I have noticed though in some older kits is that the parts after a while tend to get brittle when cutting them. Have you run into that at all with this kit? I'm not sure how old of a kit you're working with of how new it is if it's a re-pop.